The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

+23
two_tone
6oldenbhoy
Rodney
azania
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Fists of Fury
bellchees
aja424
eddyfightfan
Mr Bounce
coxy0001
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
Sugar Boy Sweetie
JabMachineMK2
88Chris05
Boxtthis
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? Empty Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

I've met a few Boxers in my time.....as well as other celebrities......Marvin Hagler visited our gym when I was a teenager and was genuinely nice and open.....I met Naseem Hamed at a work function and he turned out to be as bigger wally as I expected.....winding up the security staff mercilessly!!

I know Rowley has met Judah amongst others... and I'm sure other posters on here have met Boxers and other celebs (some have even sparred with them!!)..

Has an experience exceeded expectation?? or were you disappointed??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? Empty Re: Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

I've met plenty of heroes in other fields who have disappointed me greatly, so I largely avoid it where possible. Boxing isn't too bad in this regard - like Truss, met Hagler and found him very sound and thoroughly enjoyed Frankie Randall's company for a few days when he was loafing around in Australia.

The palm would have to go to Alexis Arguello, whom I almost literally bumped into in a departure lounge at Miami Airport. No side at all, modest without appearing falsely so and extremely interesting on the fight game at the time. His death really was such a big loss to the sport.

As I say, though, I'm not sure I want to meet blokes like Buchanan and Conteh. They're on too high a pedestal for me, constructed by a young lad and bound to be far too much to live up to.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? Empty Re: Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:14 pm

Frankie Randall......excellent.

Always thought of him as a gangster type for some reason..

Certainly was unlucky against Rosario and Chavez...

Then again some people are unlucky!! Just ask my father-in-law!! Wink

Nice post..

met Paul Ince at a function.....he was a top guy..

Been disappointed with others...Found the smaller the celeb the bigger the ego..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:23 pm

Your last sentence is so true, Truss.

Brings to mind a non-boxing story that illustrates your point perfectly. Some UK embassy abroad was holding a dinner, at which there were a variety of important guests. One woman of high rank complained that precedence dictated that she should be sat next to the ambassador, rather than in the place further down the table that she had been allotted. Eventually, she got her wish and said to the ambassador: "I expect that you find these questions of precedence very troubling, Your Excellency."

"Not at all," he replied. "Experience teaches us that those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:28 pm

An obvious pick but Hatton's reputation for approachability and affability are well earned. Earnie Shavers is also as nice a guy as you'd like to meet.

You are right about Judah though Truss, came across as a first class tool unfortunately.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:30 pm

Nice........Sounds like the perfect put down....

Unfortunately the World is full of people like her....

I should know I'm married to one.... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm sure other posters on here have met Boxers and other celebs (some have even sparred with them!!)

Ha, nicely slipped in there.

Met Frank Bruno once and chatted to him briefly. Was very strange talking to such an iconic figure. He was just like you'd imagine.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

I've read stories about Ernie being a top class guy.....

Nice to see he doesn't have sleepness nights about the golden pot he nearly inherited when larry tasted the deck...

Judah looks like a classless punk....

You should have done the Kosta-jig when you saw him Jeff...

I'd fancy a tough ferret breeding yorkshire guy like you could take him...If he took offence

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

I'll second Jeff here - I've met Earnie Shavers and he was talkative, engaging and an all-round nice fella. Met and had a reasonable-length chat with Bruno, too. Nice enough as well, and with the strongest and firmest handshake I've ever felt!

Froch is a top class guy, too - pretty sure Rowley can back me up there.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

No one met Derek Chisora then ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

You're about as funny as a bout of diarrhea Truss.

Keeping on topic, I met Steven Gerrard in a restaurant and he seemed quite arrogant, expecting everyone to get out of his way and be in awe. Shame as he always seemed down to earth on the telly box.

I'm sure the mods will see that you're trying to discredit me even further Trusswum - its a shameful attempt really, it'd be nice you know, one day to actually see you talk about boxing in a thread without pathetically resorting to baiting other posters, using correct English and having an opinion that isn't so over the mark, so wrong, childlike and uninteresting that other people like myself don't think you're anything but a sad little man with nothing better to do than try your hardest to wind other people up.

The regulars may take it, but I've said it before - you're a little bully. Nothing I hate more than bullies. Yes, I may have lied, a long time ago - but I like to think when theres boxing related debate that I add something...other than.....really...badly....constructed....posts!!!!! and.....writing....like a child!!!!

You ruin this board.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

Really can't be arsed to do this again. Truss - Jab Machine two words

FOE BUTTON

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:29 pm

He's stalking me Rowley..

The same way he stalked Brook for three rounds!!

"good right hand Kell Brook, doesn't go to the body much"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

Foe button doesn't work - you'll clearly see Rowley, he's attempting to take the mickey in his topics, the odd sly dig I don't mind, but I believe this topic was created with the sole purpose to incite some for of further joke toward me. So foe button or not, he's still doing it, and I won't be mocked constantly in such a malicious manner, behind my back or not.

The right thing to do would be to remind Mr.Trussman that he's lucky to be around, as I'm sure its not just me who thinks he's a joke.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

Mr Trussman....I like that!!

Give us a kiss...but no tongues!! raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:36 pm

I'm aware that you've probably just received a polite warning - and this is why you're asking for a "kiss"

You can certainly "kiss" something, let me tell you.

Just back off from any reference to me, ever.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:37 pm

I've never met any boxers other than Kevin Mitchell. He's pretty much what you'd expect him to be like.

Met Frank Lampard once in a Yates (classy!) when he was still at West Ham, and once filled my car up next to Rio Ferdinand - when he was still at West Ham (anyone wanna take a punt at where I'm from?!).

Met James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers in a bar in Camden, he was a nice guy and very short. Also met Pete Doherty in Camden who was also a nice guy and surprisingly tall (about 6'3" I'd say).

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

No warning....

I've been on here too long..... raspberry

Still Rowley does need advice on how to do his job....So keep giving it to him!! Whistle

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

Rowley has a soft spot for you because of the fact you have been acquaintances for a very long time - he'll be the first to admit that he gives you a somewhat easy life compared to the way he should, as major rule breaking aside, he sees you as someone positive.

I'm asking that you don't ever reference me, we'll avoid each other completely. I'll remain logged in to every PC I use meaning the foe button has worked, and you foe me so that we're unlikely to ever cross. Deal?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:57 pm

Met Shavers when I was an impressionable teenager without realising who he was until I started to get interested in the sport and recognised him, one of the nicest bouncers you could ever come across.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Met Shavers when I was an impressionable teenager without realising who he was until I started to get interested in the sport and recognised him, one of the nicest bouncers you could ever come across.

I think being the hardest puncher of all time probably renders any aggressive action/speech to ward off fights unnecessary Laugh but never met anyone or seen online anything but praise for him.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

Forgot to mention that I met Tyson Fury back at the Froch-Dirrell fight in 2009. He was with a huge 'entourage' but was singing and posing for plenty of photos. Spoke to him for a very short while but he came across as a nice enough guy, wearing a big smile all night.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

Met Holy in London during the Olympics.

Very charming, approachable man. Seemed happy to talk and take pictures. I was very impressed by him, so much so that I wanted to have his baby.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

Personally meeting someone who proclaimed to be a 250lb 52" beast and turned out to be a 5'6 scrawny redneck is a huge blot on my blogbook.

Worst? Sergio Garcia, absolute tool.

Best? Seve. Absolute gent and one of the wittiest guys you'd ever wish to meet.

Boxing? Steve Collins, lives in my old area and was a fantastic guy to chat to boxing about. Still scared the absolute she ite out of me though in a slightly 'i'm hard as nails and not even you hitting me round the back of the head with a hammer would flinch me' sorta mentality

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:01 pm

I've met Henry Cooper when I was a schoolboy in the 80s. He was an absolute Gent and couldn't do enough fo the pupils. He had the world's biggest hands.

Met James Thompson, the Touring Car driver when they did the first BTCC night race back in 1999. He had a nightmare of a meeting yet still had the time to chat and sign stuff for us. Absolute gem.

Thankfully have not met any sporting personalities who turned out to be utter doorknobs. Yet...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:18 pm

not exactly an idol but when i went to brook vs hatton, i managed to walk straight to ringside and was stood next to darren barker talking Poopie at him for 12 straight rounds (i was very drunk) and he still shook my hand and was been really nice after the fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:26 pm

Met my favourite band SLAYER in Belgium in 2007. Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo were pretty cool, Jeff Hanneman was a tad aloof and Kerry King demonstrated his well deserved reputation for being a bell end....still got my photo taken with 'em.

I met my heroes...and was impressed and underwhelmed in equal measure

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Met my favourite band SLAYER in Belgium in 2007. Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo were pretty cool, Jeff Hanneman was a tad aloof and Kerry King demonstrated his well deserved reputation for being a bell end....still got my photo taken with 'em.

I met my heroes...and was impressed and underwhelmed in equal measure

Is Slayer like Bon Jovi?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:45 pm

Met Froch a few times due to using the same gym when hes not in camp. Nice, talkative and approachable.
Met Jason Booth a fair few times aswell, he's a good lad and is exacly the same as he seems in interviews, trains like a mad man.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

Met Orlando Cruz in a toilet whilst in Vegas.
Definately not disappointed about that encounter.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:59 pm

I Hi Fived the The Todd from Scrubs but I've never met a boxer. Kevin Mitchell is based near me I think but I'd rather not meet him, seems like a right spanner.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:55 am

Met Lennox Lewis at Hamburg Airport. An absolute man mountain, a relaxed polite chap in the few seconds that we were able to say hello/shake hands. His hand engulfed mine.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:57 am

Met Winky Wright in Vegas doing a signing session, realise he was being paid to be there but seemed a nice guy and genuinely a bit blown away that so many people in the UK had heard of him

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:37 am

Danny Williams. Russell Square tube station circa 2000. Lovely chap, although he was a little scared that I knew who he was.

Like a few others, I have met Earnie Shavers and I concur that he is a thoroughly decent man.

Colin McMillan. The Troxy in East London circa 2010. Truly pleasant man and a real gent.

Richard Corrigan (chef). Heathrow airport circa 2005. Very nice man although he had awful shoes on.

Hugh Jackman. Departure lounge at O'Hare airport 2010. Talking and swearing very loudly into his mobile whilst wearing shades inside. Don't believe the stories about him, he is a w@nker.

Jimmy Saville. BBC studios circa 1985. Rather not talk about it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:44 am

Met Geoff Boycott (all too) briefly in the summer. He'd had the same treatment my old man had just started. He told me to 'tell him to keep his chin up'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:47 am

Can't think of any major sports stars I've met and disliked.

Not sports related, but I spent a night drinking with Mark Ronson a couple of weekends ago. Prior to meeting him I thought he was a total helmet, but he turned out to be a really nice guy.

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? 148859_10151213468601273_35796852_n

Spoke to Dana White at the UFC last weekend and he was super nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:09 am

Met Daley Thompson several times at his training club when he was near his prime. Seb Coe was training with him also. Kids came up to them and asked for autographs. Seb happily chatted to them and signed a few, excused himself and carried on stretching. Daley let loose a torrent of expletives aimed at kids aged between 12-16. A knobhead if there ever was one. And that's not the only time he's done that.

Met MacCall in a nightclub a week before his Bruno fight. Chatted away with him and skirt chasing. His phrase "I'm the HW champion of the world". Well it worked. But the amount of booze he was putting away.........? Not good prep for a fight. He completely underestimated Bruno and expected to KO him in 3.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:27 am

As many met Ricky Hatton a couple of times came across a really decent bloke quite shy which was surprising.

Met David Tua on Las Vegas boulevard, his neck was the size of my thigh, a quiet unassuming guy. More of an obscure one spoke to Steve The Viking Foster in a nightclub was a cracking bloke, spoke for an hour about boxing, he'd just lost to Howard Eastman but didn't rate him too highly, thought Winky Wright was an absolute beast though, said he oozed class and knew he'd lost soon as Wright hit him with the 1st southpaw jab.

Also met Timothy Biggins in Vegas, my wife wanted me to get my photo took with him and his boyfriend, I declined for obvious reasons.

Cheers. Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:35 am

Rodney wrote:

I declined for obvious reasons.

Because you're homophobic? Brilliant stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:37 am

Met Benn also. Not the nicest person. Small willy syndrome I hear. Saw Lennox in Toronto. An absolutely huge bloke. Didn't chat to him and he kept himself to himself. By all accounts a thoroughly decent bloke.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:38 am

What about Michael Watson, Az? Ever met him....... Whistle

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:42 am

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:
Rodney wrote:

I declined for obvious reasons.

Because you're homophobic? Brilliant stuff.

I'm from the north mate, as much as its 2012 being a boxing fan and coming home wedged between Biggins and his boyfriend in a portrait, wouldn't have set well with the locals, seemed a nice fella though.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:43 am

Rodney wrote:
I'm from the north mate

Is it still the 14th century in "the north"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:44 am

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:
Rodney wrote:
I'm from the north mate

Is it still the 14th century in "the north"?

In some of the more developed areas it certainly is.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:51 am

How could I forget? I've met some of the biggest stars of darts. Klassen, Chisnell, Martin Adams, Steve Beaton, Bobby George, Tony Gubba. I always seem to get stuck talking to Jon Boy Walton every year as well. He's usually knocked out by the second round but turns up every night regardless. I feel a bit sorry for him becuase he's bloody boring and clearly has no friends

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:58 am

Sean I met Eric Bristow a few weeks back in Betfred in York, It was Ebor day. I said to the father in law, that fella is the double of Bristow, the giveaway was when they were setting up a dartboard in the background. Smokes like a trooper, reeking of sweat but canny fella.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:04 am

seanmichaels wrote:How could I forget? I've met some of the biggest stars of darts. Klassen, Chisnell, Martin Adams, Steve Beaton, Bobby George, Tony Gubba. I always seem to get stuck talking to Jon Boy Walton every year as well. He's usually knocked out by the second round but turns up every night regardless. I feel a bit sorry for him becuase he's bloody boring and clearly has no friends

Did you ask Martin Adams if he's related to Gerry Adams? The resemblance is uncanny.

Met Ken Buchanan in Glasgow. Was nothing but nice, had a chat and got a photo. Seen Jim Watt a brave few times, can't stand the guy so I've never talked to him.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:11 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:How could I forget? I've met some of the biggest stars of darts. Klassen, Chisnell, Martin Adams, Steve Beaton, Bobby George, Tony Gubba. I always seem to get stuck talking to Jon Boy Walton every year as well. He's usually knocked out by the second round but turns up every night regardless. I feel a bit sorry for him becuase he's bloody boring and clearly has no friends

Did you ask Martin Adams if he's related to Gerry Adams? The resemblance is uncanny.

A couple of years back I went straight from work and got leathered. Martin Adams signed my shirt (the work shirt I was wearing). A couple of months later I was in work and it got a bit stuffy. I removed my 'pullover' and went about my business until a colleague asked what was on my back. I had unwittingly put on the signed shirt in the morning and had been walking around the office with Martin Adams scrawled over my back.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:37 am

Rodney wrote:Sean I met Eric Bristow a few weeks back in Betfred in York, It was Ebor day. I said to the father in law, that fella is the double of Bristow, the giveaway was when they were setting up a dartboard in the background. Smokes like a trooper, reeking of sweat but canny fella.

Cheers Rodders

Always heard/read he was a plonker from various people who have met him. Never met anyone famous unless you class walking into Preston from Big Brother / The Ordinary Boys with his bit of fluff on Brighton West Street a famous encounter? I myself would rather have missed him.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:58 am

Met Versace back in the 90's meeting only lasted a couple of seconds tho.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next