The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

+23
two_tone
6oldenbhoy
Rodney
azania
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Fists of Fury
bellchees
aja424
eddyfightfan
Mr Bounce
coxy0001
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
Sugar Boy Sweetie
JabMachineMK2
88Chris05
Boxtthis
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? - Page 2 Empty Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've met a few Boxers in my time.....as well as other celebrities......Marvin Hagler visited our gym when I was a teenager and was genuinely nice and open.....I met Naseem Hamed at a work function and he turned out to be as bigger wally as I expected.....winding up the security staff mercilessly!!

I know Rowley has met Judah amongst others... and I'm sure other posters on here have met Boxers and other celebs (some have even sparred with them!!)..

Has an experience exceeded expectation?? or were you disappointed??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

Should be meeting Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the near future

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ever been disappointed by meeting a hero ??

Post by Nico the gman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:09 pm

Richard Dunn on our bus going to the McGuigan fight picked him up at Sheffield services,nice enough fella really down to earth, and when asked said he got nowhere near a 100grand for fighting ALI it was well exaggerated.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

Seen Cilla (I believe thats how you spell it) From Coronation Street years ago, that was her name in the show, married to Les Battersby.

Met Jim Watt once, was a nice a man as you could meet, talked to him for a good 10 minutes about whats happening in boxing and upcoming fights, great guy and didn't disappoint. (One of the few that really enjoy his commentary.)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:04 pm

I met imran Khan on a flight to pakistan from heathrow when he was doing that cancer hospital appeal. Said hello, and spoke in urdu to my parents for the rest of the flight. Unfortunately I hadnt learned anything but basic urdu and didnt understand anything other than the words this, that, they, why, where, and here.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:25 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I've met plenty of heroes in other fields who have disappointed me greatly, so I largely avoid it where possible. Boxing isn't too bad in this regard - like Truss, met Hagler and found him very sound and thoroughly enjoyed Frankie Randall's company for a few days when he was loafing around in Australia.

The palm would have to go to Alexis Arguello, whom I almost literally bumped into in a departure lounge at Miami Airport. No side at all, modest without appearing falsely so and extremely interesting on the fight game at the time. His death really was such a big loss to the sport.

As I say, though, I'm not sure I want to meet blokes like Buchanan and Conteh. They're on too high a pedestal for me, constructed by a young lad and bound to be far too much to live up to.

Did you shake hands with Alexis ? I read a few years ago that his handshake was brutal. Perhaps even on a par with the 'Shake Hands' character from 'Boys From The Blackstuff'. OK,maybe a slight exaggeration.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:36 pm

"Met versace back in the 90s....."

Always knew they caught the wrong guy!!

Richard Dunn was he the guy that said......"He hit me with every hook in the book"

good line that....

Not sure I'd want to meet my real heroes as I like to leave them how they are in my head...

Or in Meg Ryan's case my bed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

Yes, indeed, Ed, and they weren't joking. Extremely firm handshake and I remember being impressed by the fact that he actually looked straight at me, rather than through me, while he was shaking hands, unlike so many other people.

This would have been not long after he finally retired, but Alexis still seemed like a well developed pipe cleaner to me. Blade slim, but exuding a stringy sort of power. Totally charming individual, I have to say.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:43 pm

Alexis Arguello used to go to the fights in Vegas and Miami..where he was based for a while...

Apparently the fans loved him...he'd spend hours posing for photographs and signing autographs..nothing was too much trouble...

Gentleman of the highest order....

and certainly not in my opinion... the suicidal type!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:25 am

I was having dinner recently with a famous sportsmen. We were disturbed 3 or 4 times during the meal but he was very gracious about. I was terribly disappointed they didn't want me in the photo though.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Oct 2012, 1:44 pm

Onetwo was the personal bodyguard for the whole of the USA basketball team at the olympics...........apparantly Whistle
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:30 pm

Just found out I'm going to be meeting Ricky Hatton in December!! Can't wait.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Just found out I'm going to be meeting Ricky Hatton in December!! Can't wait.

Say no to booze and Charlie.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:41 pm

Depends on the quality of both, az, I'd have thought!

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Just found out I'm going to be meeting Ricky Hatton in December!! Can't wait.
My brother met him in Vegas (sat behind him Barrera Morales fight)said his a down to earth top bloke so enjoy.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't know. Regular tea total bloke I am. Whistle

Not the aged hippie like your good self. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

Cruel, but fair, az.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:48 pm

No matter how many variations I try - the original is always the best. This is true of both Margherita and Weed

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:52 pm

I spent a year traveling across South America. Spent 8 months in Colombia for good reason also. All I can say is that if you ever want to have a good time, go to Cali or a small fishing village called Santa Marta. Colombia's finest, including excellent fresh coffee are easily available. I had my fill and still recovering.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

South America is a great trip Az, I've done parts of it myself.

Easy to see why some of the fighters from that part of the world are so tough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2