The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach...

+19
Higher_Ground
flyhalffactory
Casartelli
RogerLewis
ScarletSpiderman
Smirnoffpriest
RubyGuby
wayne
Seagultaf
ChequeredJersey
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
Scrumdown
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
Cellan1987
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach... - Page 5 Empty My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach...

Post by Cellan1987 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

15: Halfpenny
14: Cuthbert
13: J Davies
12: Beck
11: North
10: Biggar
9: Gareth Davies
8: Faletau
7: Tipuric
6: Warburton
5: I Evans
4: AW Jones
3: Jarvis
2: Rees
1: Paul James

Last edited by Cellan1987 on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cellan1987

Back to top Go down

My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach... - Page 5 Empty Re: My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach...

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

Ha ha ha...! Ill modify that I guess...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach... - Page 5 Empty Re: My Welsh Team for the Argentina game if I was the coach...

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm

45 minutes until all is revealed...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

Keep it in your pants, Maes. Shocked

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

What happened to the good old 606 where there was a bloke (sure he was really Robbie McBryde) that used to 'leak' the Welsh, and Scarlets, sides a good day or so early?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:34 pm

This is the team I've been given as an 'inside line':

15-9 Halfers, North, Davies, Roberts, Cuffbert, Priest, Big Mike
1-8 Jarvis, Hibbard, James, Evans, AW Jones, Shingler, Warburton (c) Faletau.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:34 pm

I know the team and replacements but I've been warned and therefore have intentionally mislead you with my predictions thumbsup Wales

There will be a Glynneath lad in the 22 however Very Happy

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:This is the team I've been given as an 'inside line':

No way thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

See that was more or less what I was after, so I can tell people a few mins in advance and seem like i know my stuff. Cheers
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:47 pm

Don't blame me if it's wrong! Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

See that was more or less what I was after, so I can tell people a few mins in advance and seem like i know my stuff. Cheers

Thats what i heard too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Thats what i heard too

Well I wont bother asking you lot for this weeks lottery numbers... Whistle

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:28 pm

MajorRoadWorks wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Thats what i heard too

Do you think the squad was picked by random?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
MajorRoadWorks wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Thats what i heard too

Do you think the squad was picked by random?

There seem to be a few people who would have you believe that they do.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:41 pm

The selection is not based on form, what's new.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

glamorganalun wrote:The selection is not based on form, what's new.

+ 1.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 5:29 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:The selection is not based on form, what's new.

+ 1.

I have to disagree here - The team is picked on the form shown in Poland which of course is the most recent thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 06 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

What team did they play in Poland, I suspect they only played with themselves as there was nothing else to do Very Happy

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Nov 2012, 7:54 am

We've heard this kind of thing before: 'so-and-so has been selected because he impressed in training'. Remember when Huw Bennett won cap after cap despite never replicating the form he was apparently showing 'in training', until he eventually came good at the World Cup?

I hope too much weight isn't given to stats when it comes to selection. Just because a player is marginally quicker and fitter than his rivals doesn't mean he's a better rugby player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:We've heard this kind of thing before: 'so-and-so has been selected because he impressed in training'. Remember when Huw Bennett won cap after cap despite never replicating the form he was apparently showing 'in training', until he eventually came good at the World Cup?

I hope too much weight isn't given to stats when it comes to selection. Just because a player is marginally quicker and fitter than his rivals doesn't mean he's a better rugby player.

This management team love their stats. They used to rave about our tackle success rate, but when you watched the match you could see players avoiding attempting a tackle, if they thought it may not put the man down, and let players just canter off freely (JT was awful for this), but they still got selected the following week, whereas I would have dropped them for lack of effort.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm

So you mean there are tackles and there are tackles?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:05 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:So you mean there are tackles and there are tackles?

I mean a player with a 92% tackle rate may have attempted 100 tackles and but missed 8, whereas a player with a 98% tackle rate may have attempted 50 tackles and missed 1, but avoiding attempting tackles to keep their averages up. A bit like when Chris Patterson was the 'best' kicker in the world, but never attempted a kick any further out than 30m or on an angle.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

Gotcha.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

That said , the tackle rate of Faletau seems pretty outstanding, and when you watch him play he looks like he makes a hell of a lot of tackles, equally as do the second rows.

Similarly turnover figures seem to be appropriated to the right players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:We've heard this kind of thing before: 'so-and-so has been selected because he impressed in training'. Remember when Huw Bennett won cap after cap despite never replicating the form he was apparently showing 'in training', until he eventually came good at the World Cup?

Things have moved on a bit. Back in the day, legendary Llanelli paceman Wayne Proctor was publicly championed by the national coach as having 'put in some great 1500m times in training.'

Which later proved strangely irrelevant when Procky was trying to mark David Campese.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:48 pm

The software used to monitor players in games and in training can not be compared to the visual monitoring of twenty years ago.

What is used today is fantastic and can give very accurate results on players performances.

This can be layered with other information too and is subjected to stringent and objective analysis.

Software like this is seen as a tool, not a rule by all who use it in any sport.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:50 pm

My favourite stat belongs to Gareth Jenkins after that 60 point humiliation at Twickenham. During the post match interview he said, "we made more gain line breaks from midfield than England" - You've just got to love the optimism there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

RubyGuby wrote:My favourite stat belongs to Gareth Jenkins after that 60 point humiliation at Twickenham. During the post match interview he said, "we made more gain line breaks from midfield than England" - You've just got to love the optimism there thumbsup

We did, they just made more everywhere else!!!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

They never got as far as the midfield thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5