The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc....

+98
Portnoy's Complaint
mbernz
Janecory
ChequeredJersey
yappysnap
englandglory4ever
Yoda
anotherworldofpain
manofgwent
tecphobe
Rory_Gallagher
Irishhoneymonster
MrsP
fa0019
Notch
Manky-Flanker
Imperialbigdave
sheephead
Geordie
Cyril
eirebilly
Smirnoffpriest
asoreleftshoulder
PenfroPete
GavinDragon
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Shifty
G2
bsando
Gibson
justified sinner
Looseheaded
mattygoat
clivemcl
ME-109
Pal Joey
IanBru
GLove39
AFewTooManyKnocks
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
kingjohn7
Breadvan
RogerLewis
EnglishReign
Duty281
Knackeredknees
hugehandoff
Pot Hale
HammerofThunor
Taylorman
overlordofthewest
The Bachelor
Biltong
Casartelli
Ozzy3213
gavstar
flyhalffactory
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
Newsilure
samuraidragon
RubyGuby
LondonTiger
Chunky Norwich
MBTGOG
SubsBench
doctornickolas
Higher_Ground
Jimpy
rodders
TJ1
EngInAuck
mckay1402
Wi11
glamorganalun
munkian
george doors
gregortree
Liam
tatterd
2nd ID of MajorRoadWork
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
aitchw
wales606
majesticimperialman
Impossible Standards
BlueNote
Pot Noodle Miner
nobbled
thebluesmancometh
George Carlin
Morgannwg
Sgt_Pooly
Luckless Pedestrian
HERSH
102 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Wales v Samoa score predictions.

Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap13%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap20%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 16 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap18%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 14 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap3%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap16%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 13 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap23%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 18 ]
Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_lcap7%Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 79

Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Empty Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc....

Post by HERSH Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:17 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES V Samoa

Venue: Millennium Stadium Cardiff Date: Friday, 16 November Kick-off: 19:30 GMT

Coverage: Live on BBC One Wales & online; live on S4C; live commentary on BBC Radio Wales & online; live commentary on Radio Cymru

Seeing as no one has started a thread yet I thought I would.

Enjoy the discussion.

Leigh Halfpenny
Alex Cuthbert
Ashley Beck
Jamie Roberts
George North
Dan Biggar
Mike Phillips
Paul James
Richard Hibbard
Aaron Jarvis
Bradley Davies
Ian Evans
Ryan Jones (Capt)
Justin Tipuric
Toby Faletau

REPLACEMENTS:
Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Scott Andrews, Luke Charteris, Sam Warburton, Tavis Knoyle, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams

Samoa:
F Autagavaia (Northland)
P Perez (Eastern Province)
G Pisi (Northampton)
P Williams (Stade Francais)
D Lemi (Worcester, captain)
T Pisi (Suntory)
K Fotuali'i (Ospreys)
S Taulafo (Wasps)
O Avei (Bordeaux-Begles)
C Johnston (Toulouse)
D Leo (Perpignan)
T Paulo (North Harbour)
O Treviranus (London Irish)
M Fa'asavalu (Harlequins)
T Tuifua (Newcastle)

Replacements: T Paulo (Clermont Auvergne), V Afatia (Agen), J Johnston (Harlequins), F Lemalu (Mont de Marsan), T Fomai (Hawke's Bay), J Su'a (Tasman), J Leota (Sale), R Lilomaiava (Laulii).

Last edited by HERSH on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 8:59 am; edited 3 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Empty Re: Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc....

Post by Irishhoneymonster Fri 16 Nov 2012, 11:38 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Irish,

Not at all and after the 80s and 90s and also having played the game for 30 odd years myself and have lost against sides we should have beaten I never take any team for granted.

But the fact remains we were shocking, if we had shown some intent and created chances but still lost then fair enough but we haven't created one single chance in two games. I can't actually remember us threatening either the Samoan or the Argentinian try line.

Our scrum came off second best tonight by some considerable to a team not renonwed for the set piece play and yes I know all the Pacific sides have improved in that area.

Yes I understand that Bedford but what I am saying is that you actually have experienced this before with you beloved Welsh side in the 80's and 90's. It's just that it was easier for you to take it then because you were almost more expecting it in some ways. My point is that success has made it more difficult to take but it is really just a case of having a level head and some humility and respecting the fact that the better team won on the day. Believe me, I sat through the Irish durge during the late 80's and through the 90's and in the last 10 years I began to not only hope, but expect. At the same time I will never walk away from Ireland because I have been through those bad times before and I accept that others are improving and things are cyclical at the end of the day. Having said all that I will moan and groan til the cows come home because this is now a professional sport and I believe Ireland are above what they are showing at the moment Smile

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc.... - Page 17 Empty Re: Wales vs Samoa KO 19:30 Fri 16th Nov - Match Thread/Build Up etc....

Post by mbernz Fri 16 Nov 2012, 11:39 pm

The best all round performances I've seen from Halfpenny have been on the wing, when he's looking to beat 1 or 2 players out wide and charge towards the line. He can beat players and make ground from deep at FB, but I don't think he's as good at bringing others into play to make the most of those breaks, which is what the top FBs excel at. In terms of Lions selection I also think there are other FB options that are better at popping up and breaking into the line on sweetly timed runs. I'd like to see him tour, but I'd want him gunning for a wing spot rather than FB.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:28 am

Interesting piece here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/09/wales-warren-gatland-argentina

"Warren has been involved," said Rob Howley, the interim head coach in
Gatland's absence. "He is looking after Wales for the New Zealand and
Australia games and the selection in the first two weeks impacts on
that. He does not come to training and he will not be at the game on
Saturday, but I speak to him every day and had discussions with him
before the team to face Argentina was picked."

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:43 am

At the game tonight and thought not a good start with missed tackles by both props and Cuthbert. The lost of Dan Bigger ended the match as a contest, Biggar was doing well until he took a cheap shot similar to that Adam Jones suffered for the lions. It looked like he had stitches above his eye and his arm in a sling after the match (and R Hibbard also arm in a sling).

I thought Tipuric had a good game he made a lot of tackles and turned over ball, maybe you see a different game when you are at the match. The line out was a mess and the scrum was poor in the second half, I don't know what is wrong with Faletau he was not in the game the other two back row forwards were working hard, Faletau spilling the ball after being hit by the smallest man in the Samoa team.

Preistland helped turn the game for Samoa everybody around me screamed nooooo when he booted the ball with 4 men outside him, made even worse the ball going dead (leading to a penalty why )is he in the team, and his other play was dire.

I think Wales should put up the white flag next week if this is the standard, they were advertising Aust tickets on the large screens at £60 a shot, any takers?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:57 am

greytiger wrote:Interesting piece here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/09/wales-warren-gatland-argentina

"Warren has been involved," said Rob Howley, the interim head coach in
Gatland's absence. "He is looking after Wales for the New Zealand and
Australia games and the selection in the first two weeks impacts on
that. He does not come to training and he will not be at the game on
Saturday, but I speak to him every day and had discussions with him
before the team to face Argentina was picked."

= if I'm going down on this ship, the captain is gonna be on board too.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:04 am

just re run the game.......poor sod biggar , he tried bloody hard, so did hibbard and roberts in defence.tipps tried too, but too much on 1/2ps shoulders, he was again our player, but still not enough, just gone ,we are gone.

rhys priestland is surely now out of the squad, has to be.for gods sake if biggars not fit for nz, ANYBODY BUT PRIESTLAND.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 6:22 am

Biggars injury looked a nasty one and also looked a bit of a cheap shot so if he is out then Priestland will be on the bench at least with Hook starting.

My view hasn't changed since last night, we were directionless, aimless, didn't seem motivated.

I was sat post end where Samoa scored their 1st try and no one (captain or not) gathered the players around and laid the law down there just seemed nothing there.

I know the Welsh players and management swear by these Polish training camps but I think this last one was one to far and whilst the players may be gym fit they certainly didn't look fresh and sharp ready for a game which they knew was going to be physical.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:03 am

Most likely the management will continue to start Priestland. He's been poor for a good while now, but that won't matter. Gareth Cooper all over again.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:07 am

I said after the Argentina game that any changes in personnel for the Samoa game would only make so much difference if the gameplan remained the same. Lo and behold...

Just how easy do we want to make it for the opposition? All we did last night (when we weren't kicking away the ball) was play one-up rugby. There was no support play whatsoever, no threat of an offload in the tackle. The ballcarrier was going to take the ball into contact and go to ground. How was this ever going to get us anywhere? All Samoa needed to do was make their tackles.

Our ineptitude in the backs was a betrayal of our footballing heritage. Shouldn't it be second nature to a rugby player that when you have an overlap, you have to take the ball to the line and commit the defender before you pass? There we were, for the second match in a row, shipping the ball to the winger without committing the Samoan defence, allowing them to drift across to cover him. Clueless doesn't even cover it. These are fundamental skills. What have they been practising in training?

In a way, I'm glad that we lost, as it exposes again how uninspired and easy to contain our gameplan is. When we come up against teams who match us physically, we have no answer. We play no football whatsoever.

The team that played all the rugby won the match, just like last weekend. Samoa were great value for their win and they deserve all the plaudits they get. The team that wanted it more ended up winning. Who'd have thought it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:33 am

the only way to get Priestland to get his back line moving is for the opposition to play a naked Cathrine Jenkins at inside centre
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:00 am

This is the part that annoys me most, and which other people seem to be missing. By losing and attributing it to not playing very well people are criticising us for not giving the other team credit. But it's the fact that we can't create anything, even from broken play. It's not always because the opposition are stopping us playing. Shipping the ball all the way to the wing without drawing the defender is nothing to do with an awesome defence; it's also to do with not running good lines, not taking the ball to the line, not having the confidence to take people on. This is where it's more to do with us than the opposition. I've seen us make line breaks against the top teams in the world. The fact we can't do it at the moment IMO is to do with us and not the opposition. To make no line breaks in two games, with players of the quality of Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halfpenny, George North and Alex Cuthbert suggests that we're doing something wrong in attack.

Again, without disrespecting the opposition if we can do it against the top 3 (but still lose. Not suggesting otherwise) I think we should be able to do it against slightly weaker (but still very good, for the 'disrespect brigade') opposition. What has happened to George North's ability to run the ball out of his own 22 over half way in broken play? Where's the offloads? Haven't seen 1 yet.

In my opinion the simple reason why we're poor is that our tactics are to bludgeon the opposition but we're physically and mentally weaker. We therefore need to play to our strengths and thus keep it away from contact where possible. Playing other teams at their own game gets us injured, turned over, slow ball, lack of tempo, lack of opportunities and all of this dents out confidence and in all honesty makes us look tactically inept. We are NOT a power-game based team, so we shouldn't try to be one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:02 am

Yeah tbf on their day Samoa can beat anyone.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:11 am

mckay1402 wrote:if we've ever needed shane williams it's now

I am afraid it would take more than SW to sort Wales problems out

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:32 am

You're right George, but I don't think we can underestimate how much we miss him. He was never confined to his wing and would always keep defences 'honest'. So much of our relative success over the last 8 years has been to do with players like him creating a bit of confusion on the park, either by cutting in off the wing and changing the angle of attack, popping up in midfield and being too pacy for centres or forwards stuck in the defensive line, and creating havoc in broken field play. We've replaced him with brutes and we now try to bash, but we're not bash minded! We lose the collisions. I think we need to unearth some wiry little runners to give us some more options. The top teams all have them, Israel Dagg for example. It just puts doubt in the defence and thus creates gaps everywhere. We're just not doing that since he left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

Both Wales and Australia have changed the way they play, they look more and more like SA only they wear different colour jerseys.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

Thought we did okay against a very physical Samoan team of seasoned pros.

Eight changes from the previous game, a sprinkling of test novices, Rhys "hoof it dead when there's a two man overlap" Priestland replacing Biggar (who played nicely until the cheapshot). An unsupervised Howley as coach is worth 7 points to any opposition.

Jamie Roberts (after Photo Louis had run over him to knock the rust off) looked like he's getting back to his world class best, Halfpenny is becoming the best kicker in the game, the team stood up to the physical onslaught (scrums aside) and even won some turnover ball.

All in all, a much more encouraging performance than the flaccid effort against Argentina.

The lack of test level strength in depth means that the absence of Adam, Lydiate and JD2 hits us hard.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:34 am

Biltong wrote:Both Wales and Australia have changed the way they play, they look more and more like SA only they wear different colour jerseys.

I can sort of agree with that. Just that we haven't got the skill or physicality to play that sort of game! A poor mans SA, if you will!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

Cas, re. Jamie Roberts. Getting back to his world class best in defence maybe, but not in attack. Is he too big now or something? Or are we not using him right? He needs to get the ball at pace to either run over someone or hit the shoulder. He just seems to get the ball when stopped or slow speed, and he's too big to accelerate well.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:37 am

What really made we laugh last night were the adverts being shown in the stadium towards the end of the game.

It was obvious to most in there that we were not going to win, hell could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored, but on the screens they were advertising the Australia game come and support your Nation etc.

Then at the bottom of the screen I noticed ' tickets still only £60' how the hell the WRU have the nerve to try and sell tickets at that price at the last two performances beggars belief
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

bedford,
Over here, they were playing B&I Lions ads at the break in the France game last weekend. Quel embarrassment!

Nice logo btw, the Australian continent shaped like a lions head facing the Indian Ocean. Arnhem Land is the mane. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

I didn't see that one coming.

0-4? Shocked

You could put some spin on it and say its a Grand Slam of sorts! Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:39 am

After the 6Ns I said I thought Wales were still playing a relatively 1 dimensional game focused on a crash-ball midfield going over their opposite numbers, along with a very decent and aggressive defence.

It was not a game based on clever kicking, intricate backs moves off first phase or keeping the opposition guessing by regularly changing the point of attack. It was also not a game based on 'heads up' rugby. In short, it absolutely was not the all-court game people were saying it was.

I was told I was talking rubbish. So consider this me saying I told you so.

To me, this Welsh team does not have a plan B. When they have their absolute best team available, they look very decent. When they don't, as they haven't the last two games, they look rudderless. If they can't compete up front and bludgeon in the backs, they're beaten. Compare with Oz for example and you see the difference in footballing skills and nous.

I think this Welsh team worked so hard on the areas it thought it was deficient i.e. forward fitness and power, that it forget its best attributes - broken field running, good lines and support play and a quick tempo.

Should say I still think the best team Wales can put out would beat England, but these autumn internationals have been a disaster.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

"Should say I still think the best team Wales can put out would beat England, but these autumn internationals have been a disaster. "

Thats alright then! picard
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:43 am

Biltong wrote:Both Wales and Australia have changed the way they play, they look more and more like SA only they wear different colour jerseys.

Wales yes, but i can't agree on Australia. There is absolutely no way Wales and Australia play a similar game. And, in fact, South Africa's work at the breakdown is a million miles away from Wales'. They may have tried to copy them but I don't think it has been successful.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

The All Blacks were going to put 50 points on us even if we were playing well, just because they are a level above everyone right now, I dont think I even want to see the game next week I see it being a very damage control type game where we'll just try and keep hold of the ball and not do anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:45 am

HERSH wrote:"Should say I still think the best team Wales can put out would beat England, but these autumn internationals have been a disaster. "

Thats alright then! picard

Was just making the point that I don't think we're exactly pulling up trees either.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:49 am

I have to say I thought it was very unsporting of the crowd not to clap the Samoan tries, I understand if it was a team above you in the IRB Rankings but a little island in the Pacific deserved a little well done for their quality tries that they scored.

We're rugby fans not football fans. thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:02 am

HERSH wrote:I have to say I thought it was very unsporting of the crowd not to clap the Samoan tries, I understand if it was a team above you in the IRB Rankings but a little island in the Pacific deserved a little well done for their quality tries that they scored.

Well Ireland is a little island in the Atlantic, could Welsh fans clap their tries too? They'd be ever so grateful...
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:04 am

No danger of that Pot. Shocked

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:05 am

Hood83 wrote:

I think this Welsh team worked so hard on the areas it thought it was deficient i.e. forward fitness and power, that it forget its best attributes - broken field running, good lines and support play and a quick tempo.

Correct. They've definitely had the traditional "heads-up" skills coached out of them, and the players who embody that approach don't get picked (not in the right position, anyway) or have retired.

Also the coming of Jamie Roberts has made a huge difference to the way we play and think. Wales have never had this kind of crash-ball centre before, and he is top-class at what he does. But he is limited. Offloads, mispasses, grubbers & chips - fergeddit! But his quality makes him undroppable, so the backline gets built around his bulldozer approach. Add to that the weakest halfback combo we have put out in decades, and the Welsh way goes missing.

Upfront, we are much improved, but there are still lineout problems , and the absence/loss of form of Gethin , Adam and AWJ removes any superiority there.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:07 am

Pot Hale wrote:
HERSH wrote:I have to say I thought it was very unsporting of the crowd not to clap the Samoan tries, I understand if it was a team above you in the IRB Rankings but a little island in the Pacific deserved a little well done for their quality tries that they scored.

Well Ireland is a little island in the Atlantic, could Welsh fans clap their tries too? They'd be ever so grateful...

We'd have to score some tries first..... censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:11 am

A pub team could do that against Wales at the Mo. mo2
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

samuraidragon wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Correct. They've definitely had the traditional "heads-up" skills coached out of them, and the players who embody that approach don't get picked (not in the right position, anyway) or have retired.

Also the coming of Jamie Roberts has made a huge difference to the way we play and think. Wales have never had this kind of crash-ball centre before, and he is top-class at what he does. But he is limited. Offloads, mispasses, grubbers & chips - fergeddit! But his quality makes him undroppable, so the backline gets built around his bulldozer approach. Add to that the weakest halfback combo we have put out in decades, and the Welsh way goes missing.

Upfront, we are much improved, but there are still lineout problems , and the absence/loss of form of Gethin , Adam and AWJ removes any superiority there.

The Roberts issue is a real problem I think, 100% agree with that. My concern is that England end up having a similar problem with Tuilagi. How about Scott Williams inside and Roberts 13? Williams seems a better footballer to me.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

Williams is a better footballer, Roberts is there mainly for his defence

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:19 am

How about Williams and JD Roberts' body must be in bits
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:22 am

In defence of Rhys Priestland, on one of the pitifully rare occasions that we got into Samoa's 22, he spotted that Samoa were short on the left and he and George North broke went that way, calling for the switch; but either Mike Phillips or more likely one of the forwards went right, into contact, and we got turned over. Again.

As for him ignoring an overlap and kicking the ball dead, did you hear him say after the match that they'd been told not to play in their own half? Yes, he should have put it through the hands regardless, but when your confidence is low you're more likely to go with the coaches' instructions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:25 am

rodders wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

We'd have to score some tries first..... censored

Also the Welsh would have to stop cheating to beat us. It's unseemly Rodders, practically plebeian. There's only one cheater allowed in international rugby and that's Richie McCaw. Or Bryce Lawrence if you listen to Biltong. No you're quite right Rodders, nobody does. thumbsup

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

LP,

And that brings us right back to the coaches and the tactics the insist on using, our kicking game is shocking and we need players on the pitch with the balls to say right this isn't working lets try something different.

After all the result couldn't be any worse than the tactics we are using now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:35 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:In defence of Rhys Priestland, on one of the pitifully rare occasions that we got into Samoa's 22, he spotted that Samoa were short on the left and he and George North broke went that way, calling for the switch; but either Mike Phillips or more likely one of the forwards went right, into contact, and we got turned over. Again.

As for him ignoring an overlap and kicking the ball dead, did you hear him say after the match that they'd been told not to play in their own half? Yes, he should have put it through the hands regardless, but when your confidence is low you're more likely to go with the coaches' instructions.

No, I missed that, but it explains a lot. He is being selected because he robotically follows Howley's instructions.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

Doesn't Gatland get involved again for Wales for the next two games?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

I noticed again that the Welsh defensive line was "marginal" to say the best and they continue to align off side behind the referee. At the restart both teams were ahead of the kicker repeatedly and off-side from kicks was just a joke at one point the referee was screaming to a Samoan "stop! stop! stop! go back! you are offside!" pause "oh go on then". About 66 minutes if you want to check it on the replay. Just insane.

When will the assistant referees start calling this?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

Casartelli wrote:Thought we did okay against a very physical Samoan team of seasoned pros.

Eight changes from the previous game, a sprinkling of test novices, Rhys "hoof it dead when there's a two man overlap" Priestland replacing Biggar (who played nicely until the cheapshot). An unsupervised Howley as coach is worth 7 points to any opposition.

Jamie Roberts (after Photo Louis had run over him to knock the rust off) looked like he's getting back to his world class best, Halfpenny is becoming the best kicker in the game, the team stood up to the physical onslaught (scrums aside) and even won some turnover ball.

All in all, a much more encouraging performance than the flaccid effort against Argentina.

The lack of test level strength in depth means that the absence of Adam, Lydiate and JD2 hits us hard.

You have to admire a man so commited to the glass half full attitude to life, and I would like to thank him for contributing. Personal attack removed

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:00 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote: There's only one cheater allowed in international rugby and that's Richie McCaw. Or Bryce Lawrence if you listen to Biltong. No you're quite right Rodders, nobody does. thumbsup

Bryce didn't cheat, he was incompetent. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

Biltong wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote: There's only one cheater allowed in international rugby and that's Richie McCaw. Or Bryce Lawrence if you listen to Biltong. No you're quite right Rodders, nobody does. thumbsup

Bryce didn't cheat, he was incompetent. Whistle

Damn you Biltong. I can't WUM about you if you are going to read it. You are like the Sauron of these boards, a big scary all seeing lighthouse.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:12 pm

I am waaaaatching youuuuuuu.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm

Just re-watched the game. I still cant see how Biggar's injury is a cheap shot? Looks like a very good clear out to me, Biggar was just unfortunate.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

I though the "high hit" on 1/2p was a joke as well. Barnes was right to wave play on in that case.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Thought we did okay against a very physical Samoan team of seasoned pros.

You have to admire a man so commited to the glass half full attitude to life, and I would like to thank him for contributing. Personal attack removed

Personal attack removed????? What's that all about?

The glass half full analogy isn't a good one. What I was saying was, if you insist in analogizing it, is that against Samoa we filled the glass up with Sainsburys Cava, which is the best we could get our hands on, and the Cava did the best that anyone could expect of it.

With all our best players available (never easy in the modern game), we can occasionally pour a glass of, maybe, decent Krug, which can compete with all but the very best.

On its day.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:34 pm

eirebilly wrote:Just re-watched the game. I still cant see how Biggar's injury is a cheap shot? Looks like a very good clear out to me, Biggar was just unfortunate.

That was my feeling too. He was unfortunate, that's it. I think some here are clutching at straws to defend the loss. The bottom line is we were beaten by a better side on the day. After all the excuses/reasons we lacked discipline and creativity. For those who thought Bigger was going to be a saviour they'd better think again. Trying to see the good in his performance is difficult, the backline was stagnant and from the off barring a couple of brief exceptions Samoa brought the game to us. We were beaten in the contact, on the floor, the set piece and in open play. Harping on about the odd high tackle or swinging arm wont change that and wouldn't have made a difference to the overall result i f they were seen to be illegal.
I never like losing, noone does but lets not make excuse after excuse for it. We lost, we got the tactics wrong, the players didn't play well and the opposition were better. We really need to sort some things out by next week or it's going to be a hiding.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

To be fair I have only seen a couple of fans talking about it out of hundreds on here, no threads to my knowledge about it which usually happens with these sorts of things. Bit of perspective please.

I think the only reason Biggar's injury is causing any debate is that on one replay it shows elbow to face contact (which caused the cut). Whether it was leading with the elbow I guess is where the citing commissioner may have a look, but for me it was just unlucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next