The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

+37
TycroesOsprey
mckay1402
tatterd
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
SubsBench
Cyril
red_stag
iantobquick
welshy6
VinceWLB
Liam
Higher_Ground
Comfort
Morgannwg
Coleman
EnglandRose
thebluesmancometh
munkian
majesticimperialman
bluestonevedder
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
mpc28
dogtooth
youngguns6
chris_501
pioden gorllewin
Casartelli
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
RubyGuby
Glas a du
wales606
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts on the squad..?

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_lcap13%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_lcap28%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 15 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_lcap23%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 12 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_lcap30%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 16 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 53

Poll closed

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Six Nations 2013: Wales name five uncapped players

Wales interim coach Rob Howley has named five uncapped players in a 35-man squad for the RBS Six Nations.
With four front-line locks ruled out with injury, James King (Ospreys) and Andrew Coombs (Dragons) have been called up for the first time.

They are joined by Blues back-rowers Josh Navidi and South Africa-born Andries Pretorius, who qualifies on residency, and Ospreys wing Eli Walker.
Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate and Bradley Davies are injured.
Charteris is out for the season, but Davies, Wyn Jones and Lydiate could return for the latter stages of the tournament for the defending champions.
Wales Six Nations fixtures

v Ireland - 2 February, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (13:30 GMT)
v France - 9 February, Stade de France, Paris (17:00 GMT)
v Italy - 23 February, Stadio Olimpico, Rome (14:30 GMT)
v Scotland - 9 March, Murrayfield, Edinburgh (14:30 GMT)
v England - 16 March, Twickenham, London (17:00 GMT)

Versatile forward Ryan Jones has been included despite dislocating his thumb on Sunday, raising doubts over his availability for the opener against Ireland in Cardiff on 2 February.

Back in the squad is full-back Lee Byrne of Clermont Auvergne, who was overlooked for the autumn internationals, but there is no place for 19-year-old Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Howley has named an experienced contingent in the front row, which is bolstered by the return to fitness of Adam Jones (Ospreys) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), who feature alongside Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Paul James (Bath), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Ryan Bevington (Ospreys).

"We have put together a very experienced squad and complemented that by rewarding the in-form players with a call-up," said Howley.

"The players in the squad have been playing really well and we have been pleased with their individual performances.

"We have a group of players who know how to win big matches and have experienced success. We are adding to that players who have stood out and performed well for the regions this season."
King, a former Wales Under-20s cap, has impressed for Ospreys this season and will vie for a second-row berth with 28-year-old Coombs.

In the back row, Sam Warburton, who has been named as captain, is selected alongside the experienced Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) and Josh Turnbull (Scarlets).

In the backline Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) will contest the number nine jersey. They will be joined at half-back by Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and James Hook (Perpignan), with Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) unavailable for selection because of injury.
The 2012 Grand Slam Champions begin the defence of their title against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, before facing France in Paris the following weekend.

WALES SQUAD:

Forwards:
Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys) Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys) Lou Reed (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Andries Pretorius (Blues)

Backs:
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets) Alex Cuthbert (Blues), George North (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont).

Injured Wales players

Ashley Beck (centre) - will miss first two Six Nations games
Huw Bennett (hooker) - targeting return in February
Luke Charteris (lock) - out for the season
Bradley Davies (lock) - unlikely to feature in Six Nations
Ian Evans (lock) - expected to be fit for the Six Nations
James Hook (fly-half) - expected to be fit for Six Nations
Aaron Jarvis (prop) - out for the season
Alun Wyn Jones (lock) - will miss start of Six Nations
Ryan Jones (lock/back-row) - expected to miss start of Six Nations
Dan Lydiate (flanker) - set to return in February
Rhys Priestland (fly-half) - out for the season
Aaron Shingler (flanker) - set to return in January

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by munkian Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:39 pm

Coombes can cover lock and all the backrow, justsayin
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

to be fair think the majority of scarlet supporters are willing to give holley a chance. he's got experience and has won trophies in the past....that's a lot more than our current coaching team has gone/got. holley is still credited with a lot of the good defensive patterns down the liberty.

while unfortunately easterby has struggled to impose a game plan this season. his simple kicking for territory gameplan has failed. although i sympathise with mark jones for not have a solid platform to work from. but it's not only our poor handling that's been a problem in our backline. there's been no ingenuity, invention or smart running lines..that's something that can be blamed on mark jones. during a recent fans meets players night a couple of months ago. mark openly stated that he'd designed more simplistic back moves due to players at his disposal not having the greatest passing skills (example he gave we don't have a regan king anymore) it's not great when the two current centres are welsh internationals.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:16 pm

JD2 passing has improved a lot over the last two seasons, his passing was terrible when he first came into the Wales set up. I still remember the passing thro BM's mouth and JD2 got zero says it all at the time.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Glas a du wrote:Thank F for that.

James Hibbard Jones
Evans Jones
King Faletau Warburton(c)

With Bevington, Rees, Reed and Tipuric on the bench.

Looks half decent.

King at 6 really?

Shingler should be fit so he would be my choice then I would think Navidi or Pretorious would get nod ahead of King though I think we could see Warbs at 6 Tips at 7
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Bedford:
King is not that big for a second row he is best suited to 6 but the Ospreys have lots of cover for 6, currently he is doing a great job in the second row with Gough next to him and Jones at his rear in the last two HC games. He has played 6 when R Jones went off last week also the previous game against Zebra.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

He is a blind side. It is to his credit that he has done so well at second row. If you want to swap him and Ryan I don't mind. The two opensides is attractive, but with a back rower in the second row it will be a luxury we can't afford, especially if Jenkins and Rees are preferred in the front row.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Sorry guys not saying he couldn't do a job there but can't see him getting nod ahead of Shingler if hes fit.

If he plays then personally I would swap him and Jones around.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

Ah right, well yes, but I was under the impression he wouldn't be? If fit it will be Shingler, but I hope they don't put Reed in the second row if so picard
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:54 pm

In fact I would go as far to say that I would definately start with King alongside Evans.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:19 pm

I like King but I don't think I'd start him over Reed at lock, Reed is finally showing a bit of form and has the experience of involvement.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:44 pm

At least King goes for the full 80mins unlike Reed, he was shot in the Aust game after 70mins he could hardly move.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:49 pm

Look at the try, he was ambling. The Aussies, especially Beale had played their guts out and were just as knackered, but international class means you keep going. Reed didn't. That was it for me. He's not up to it. I'd go as far as to say Welch from Exeter is a better player.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Thank F for that.

James Hibbard Jones
Evans Jones
King Faletau Warburton(c)

With Bevington, Rees, Reed and Tipuric on the bench.

Looks half decent.

King at 6 really?

Shingler should be fit so he would be my choice then I would think Navidi or Pretorious would get nod ahead of King though I think we could see Warbs at 6 Tips at 7

I have no interest in Pretorious he has been awful all season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

Although athletic, Reed lack aggression or any dog. The amount of times teams used to bully the scarlets pack, and Reed would be the first to wither like a flower. He's not a ruck hitter, doesn't srummage well (according to our front row) just don't see what he offers. I'd go for King over Reed.

To be fair don't think George North or Jamie Roberts merit a place in the squad on current regional form. But I'm sure they'll get selected - got a bad feeling about the selections Howley is going to make in this 6 nations.

I'd personally pick the inform regional players, which probably means 10+ osprey players making the starting line up. At least that way we'll be going into the tournament with a bit of momentum, cohesions, functioning units and form. Is Howley brave enough to make that call?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:53 am

I'll be surprised if he doesn't go with the tried and tested wherever possible, regardless of form. But you never know!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'll be surprised if he doesn't go with the tried and tested wherever possible, regardless of form. But you never know!

LP,

The tried and tested aren't that bad really when you look at it, this is the side I expect him to pick if all fit:

James
Hibbard
A Jones
Evans
King
R Jones
Faletau
Warburton (I would go with Tipuric)

Phillips (Best of bad bunch)
Biggar

North
Roberts (Finding some form)
JD
Cuthbert (I would go with Halfpenny)

Halfpenny (I would go with Byrne)

Like said thats team I think he would pick my changes in brackets and in the main I agree with it.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:45 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21047775

Encouraging words for Hibbard and Welsh fans.

I saw the Ospreys v Tigers game on Sunday, and he was impressive before he went off injured.

Has his form been consistently high this season, and what do Welsh posters think?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:56 am

Its just a thought but injuries are having such an impact on the 6 nations. To this extent we might consider ourselves lucky that all the welsh regions have relatively meaningless dead rubber games this weekend whilst the 3 leading Irish provinces have crucial affairs. I'm certainly not hoping for any Irish injuries here but such crucial games a couple of weeks before the 6 nations seems a bit unfair on all the players concerned and injuries might well decide who wins the 6 nations. Maybe that's always been the case but it's asking a lot of the top class players and I think all of us would like to see our full international teams going head to head. Good luck to those Provinces on the weekend, play well and stay safe thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Good to see Pretorius in the mix. Wales need a bit of new blood.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Hibbards a great asset and very useful in the loose - he will take it up - For me Hibbard and Owens are our leading hookers thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

I'm not sure about the 10+ Ospreys comment, I could justify form picks of...

Hibbard
Tipuric
Biggar
Walker

But a lot of the other players havn't played much or there is a welshman showing better form at present...

Jones - Andrews has played better and far more this season for club, not that I'd select him over Jones but his form is better.

Bevington - James and Gill are the form LH by a mile!!!

Evans may make it if fit, but AWJ isn't elligable.

Jones - been ok for the O's but Evans form has been blistering and he is the form welsh back rower!

Webb - not over Davies, Roberts, Evans, Rees for form!!

Beck - JD2, Williams have offered more this season

Bishop - As above

Fussell - HAHAHAHAHA Byrne, Williams, 1/2p, my nan all stand a better chance!

I'd even argue that Brews form has been up there with Walker at times!

So no form picks would allow for 5/6 Osprey players, however Howley hasn't picked a number of our form players at all (Gill, Evans, Evans) so form won't be part of what Howley wants from us!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:07 am

I'm a fan of Lewis Evans and he should be in there instead of a very average regional player like Navidi, however the way Mike Phillips brushed him aside for his try last week was a bit disconcerting thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:21 am

to be fair bluesman when I wrote down my starting 15, I got to 7 ospreys players (might have been 8 if bearman was in squad) so can't argue with many of your points. my starting 15 would be:

P James (Bath)
R Hibbard (Ospreys)
A Jones (Ospreys)
I Evans (Ospreys)
R Jones (Ospreys)
S Warburton (Blues)
J Tipuric (Ospreys)
T Faletau (Dragons)
M Phillips (Bayonne)
D Biggar (Ospreys)
E Walker (Ospreys)
S Williams (Scarlets)
J Davies (Scarlets)
A Cuthbert (Blues)
L Halfpenny (Blues)

think howley will however go with something like:

G Jenkins (Toulon)
M Rees (Scarlets)
A Jones (Ospreys)
L Reed (Blues)
I Evans (Ospreys)
R Jones (Ospreys)
S Warburton ( Blues)
T Faletau ( Dragons)
M Phillips (Bayonne)
J Hook (Perpignan)
G North (Scarlets)
J Roberts (Blues)
J Davies (Scarlets)
A Cuthbert (Blues)
L Halfpenny (Blues)

With Lloyd Williams on the bench!

I would generally pick J Roberts over S Williams. But got issue that he tends to pick his games for the Blues (usually one or two games before an international) think he hasn't played regulary for the blues for a while now (haven't looked at the stats mind) just think if he was dropped it would send out a clear message that you have to be playing regulary for your region (on form) to make the national team.

Last edited by pioden gorllewin on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Jenkins not Phillips. Thanks Guby :))
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

Nice post Pioden - No George North is interesting and of course G Phillips is G Jenkins. I think you're right with what Howley will go with thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:34 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Good to see Pretorius in the mix. Wales need a bit of new blood.

WHAT! ARE YOU MAD! YOU WUMMING....etc. etc.

Happy now?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Yes he's wumming Glas - Calm down I'm disappointed to see him in there as well thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

What was wrong with Bearman? at least he's Cornish!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

Ha thanks Guby I'll change that now thumbsup

North has struggled defensively this season - been brushed off on a few occasions with some very half hearted tackles which is disappointing to see. His positioning in defence is also very suspect, and catching any high balls that's put his way. Do realise he's still very young and a great strike runner, but he does need to address these issues.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

Howley and the other Welsh coaches obviously rate Pretorius. He's very keen to play for Wales and may show more heart then some more 'Welsh' players have over the last 9 months.

Ambition, fire, passion and confidence, that's what you need at the moment.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:50 am

Oh he's like a terrier with a boner.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

Glas a du wrote:Oh he's like a terrier with a boner.
You can put bon mot that in your next article, Mr Writer Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Howley and the other Welsh coaches obviously rate Pretorius. He's very keen to play for Wales and may show more heart then some more 'Welsh' players have over the last 9 months.

Ambition, fire, passion and confidence, that's what you need at the moment.

Doesn't show any of that or decent form for the Blues, not for the past two seasons anyway. Pay attention to Rugby Union and you might pick up on simple things like this.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Don't be nasty to him Mooregannwg Very Happy

Or you may appear in his w@nkb@nk
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

Errrr, Cyril you disgust me.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

James started against the ABs and would have against the Aussies if available so I can't see Jenkins getting the nod for the Ireland game.

He hasn't been playing regulalry and I am sure he's carrying a knock.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Errrr, Cyril you disgust me.
With regard to what?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:26 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Errrr, Cyril you disgust me.

Laugh You should be a spin doctor Morg!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

I think Cuthbert has to start, he's been consistently scoring tries all season for region and country. North has had a blip and would be on the bench for me with 1/2p taking his spot. Byrne to FB with Roberts and Jd2 in the centre, roberts has played well since his comeback. I'd move Warbs to 6 with Tips at 7. Worked quite well I thought vs AB's and then Ryan Jones to partner Ian Evans at lock.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I'm a fan of Lewis Evans and he should be in there instead of a very average regional player like Navidi, however the way Mike Phillips brushed him aside for his try last week was a bit disconcerting thumbsup

Agree with your observation but, Faletau attempt was even more feeble, Faletau has been poor since the last 6N he is lucky to be in the squad. I think L Evans should have been selected, at least last week he had played nearly 80 mins so he had an excuse to miss a fresh Phillips.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I'm a fan of Lewis Evans and he should be in there instead of a very average regional player like Navidi, however the way Mike Phillips brushed him aside for his try last week was a bit disconcerting thumbsup

Agree with your observation but, Faletau attempt was even more feeble, Faletau has been poor since the last 6N he is lucky to be in the squad. I think L Evans should have been selected, at least last week he had played nearly 80 mins so he had an excuse to miss a fresh Phillips.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:11 pm

Disagree about Navidi. Last season and before I would have agreed but this year he really has stood up and been counted. He tackles all day long and is a good ball carrier. Plus, he's being played out of position and done a good job. He has the potential to became intl quality I think.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm

Liam wrote:Disagree about Navidi. Last season and before I would have agreed but this year he really has stood up and been counted. He tackles all day long and is a good ball carrier. Plus, he's being played out of position and done a good job. He has the potential to became intl quality I think.

Agreed, the problem, a nice one is we have three very good 7's and I put Warburton lower down the order than the other two, now they are going to push him to 6.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
Liam wrote:Disagree about Navidi. Last season and before I would have agreed but this year he really has stood up and been counted. He tackles all day long and is a good ball carrier. Plus, he's being played out of position and done a good job. He has the potential to became intl quality I think.

Agreed, the problem, a nice one is we have three very good 7's and I put Warburton lower down the order than the other two, now they are going to push him to 6.

I agree too

Nalvidi is definitely worth a call up. Great lad hat worker and has done a good job for the blues despite their results.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

Big Evans fan but Navidi has been as good as Tipuric this year and far better than Warburton, although Navidi is still too small for the 6 position, and Tips and Warbs are far better fetchers at 7.

Very tough not to call Evans up, although with our lock crisis I see it. Plus he's been poor for the Dragons tonight!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:36 pm

Tipuric and Navidi are like for like. Jack of Spades/Jack of Clubs.

They'll get obliterated against top level backrowers. If we're determined to go for a Martyn Williams clone then Tipuric, of the two, offers a lot more - but Faletau is already doing this job from 8.

Regional form is irrelevant - test rugby is effectively an entirely different sport nowadays.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:39 pm

Wouldnt say club form is irrelevant, but it doesn't determine who succeeds at the step up I'll give you.

I have no doubt Navidi isn''t ready but Tips just hasn't had a chance so far, and he's been on blistering form against some of the best.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:44 pm

Casartelli wrote:Tipuric and Navidi are like for like. Jack of Spades/Jack of Clubs.

They'll get obliterated against top level backrowers. If we're determined to go for a Martyn Williams clone then Tipuric, of the two, offers a lot more - but Faletau is already doing this job from 8.

Regional form is irrelevant - test rugby is effectively an entirely different sport nowadays.

How on earth if Faletau doing Martyn's role? He is not a fetcher, doesn't win scrappy ball and knocks on about twice a game - compared to Martyn's twice in his career.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

If we played an in-form Ryan Jones at 8 and Warburton at 6 then we might, just might, have the luxury of picking Tipuric at 7 and the combination being fantastic.

Don't think Navidi would ever make the grade at test level. Tipuric better in every aspect of that type of 'Martyn Williams' game - and the rest of the world is moving on.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

Navidi isn't ready, but a bit of Wales training exposure will do him good, and he will get better. He has been very good in his first real regional season and has a Wales call up = not to be sniffed at for a forward!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

And unlike King or Coombs he is there on pure merit, not because of an injury crisis!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next