The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

+37
TycroesOsprey
mckay1402
tatterd
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
SubsBench
Cyril
red_stag
iantobquick
welshy6
VinceWLB
Liam
Higher_Ground
Comfort
Morgannwg
Coleman
EnglandRose
thebluesmancometh
munkian
majesticimperialman
bluestonevedder
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
mpc28
dogtooth
youngguns6
chris_501
pioden gorllewin
Casartelli
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
RubyGuby
Glas a du
wales606
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts on the squad..?

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_lcap13%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_lcap28%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 15 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_lcap23%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 12 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_lcap30%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 16 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_lcap6%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 53

Poll closed

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Six Nations 2013: Wales name five uncapped players

Wales interim coach Rob Howley has named five uncapped players in a 35-man squad for the RBS Six Nations.
With four front-line locks ruled out with injury, James King (Ospreys) and Andrew Coombs (Dragons) have been called up for the first time.

They are joined by Blues back-rowers Josh Navidi and South Africa-born Andries Pretorius, who qualifies on residency, and Ospreys wing Eli Walker.
Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate and Bradley Davies are injured.
Charteris is out for the season, but Davies, Wyn Jones and Lydiate could return for the latter stages of the tournament for the defending champions.
Wales Six Nations fixtures

v Ireland - 2 February, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (13:30 GMT)
v France - 9 February, Stade de France, Paris (17:00 GMT)
v Italy - 23 February, Stadio Olimpico, Rome (14:30 GMT)
v Scotland - 9 March, Murrayfield, Edinburgh (14:30 GMT)
v England - 16 March, Twickenham, London (17:00 GMT)

Versatile forward Ryan Jones has been included despite dislocating his thumb on Sunday, raising doubts over his availability for the opener against Ireland in Cardiff on 2 February.

Back in the squad is full-back Lee Byrne of Clermont Auvergne, who was overlooked for the autumn internationals, but there is no place for 19-year-old Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Howley has named an experienced contingent in the front row, which is bolstered by the return to fitness of Adam Jones (Ospreys) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), who feature alongside Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Paul James (Bath), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Ryan Bevington (Ospreys).

"We have put together a very experienced squad and complemented that by rewarding the in-form players with a call-up," said Howley.

"The players in the squad have been playing really well and we have been pleased with their individual performances.

"We have a group of players who know how to win big matches and have experienced success. We are adding to that players who have stood out and performed well for the regions this season."
King, a former Wales Under-20s cap, has impressed for Ospreys this season and will vie for a second-row berth with 28-year-old Coombs.

In the back row, Sam Warburton, who has been named as captain, is selected alongside the experienced Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) and Josh Turnbull (Scarlets).

In the backline Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) will contest the number nine jersey. They will be joined at half-back by Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and James Hook (Perpignan), with Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) unavailable for selection because of injury.
The 2012 Grand Slam Champions begin the defence of their title against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, before facing France in Paris the following weekend.

WALES SQUAD:

Forwards:
Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys) Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys) Lou Reed (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Andries Pretorius (Blues)

Backs:
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets) Alex Cuthbert (Blues), George North (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont).

Injured Wales players

Ashley Beck (centre) - will miss first two Six Nations games
Huw Bennett (hooker) - targeting return in February
Luke Charteris (lock) - out for the season
Bradley Davies (lock) - unlikely to feature in Six Nations
Ian Evans (lock) - expected to be fit for the Six Nations
James Hook (fly-half) - expected to be fit for Six Nations
Aaron Jarvis (prop) - out for the season
Alun Wyn Jones (lock) - will miss start of Six Nations
Ryan Jones (lock/back-row) - expected to miss start of Six Nations
Dan Lydiate (flanker) - set to return in February
Rhys Priestland (fly-half) - out for the season
Aaron Shingler (flanker) - set to return in January

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

May well be right there. Nothing wrong with Andrews performance in the AIs. He did well, even surprised a few experts.. Bedford included.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

DAN BIGGAR and James Hook are neck and neck for the Wales No.10 jersey, with their performances in training between now and the clash with Ireland critical in determining who gets the nod.

That’s the verdict of kicking coach Neil Jenkins, who has predicted “a great battle” between the pair in the build-up to the Six Nations opener on Saturday week.

Biggar is being seen by most pundits as in pole position for the role with Rhys Priestland sidelined with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

But Jenkins insisted that isn’t necessarily the case.

Asked to assess both players’ merits, Jenkins said: “Hooky has had a bang in the last couple of weeks and hasn’t had much game-time, but he is a class act and we know what he is all about.

“Dan has had an outstanding season and has played exceptionally well for the Ospreys.

“He is still a young kid, but he is maturing every year, he’s matured a lot this season and his form says that.

“It is going to be a great battle between the two of them.

“The shirt is up for grabs with Rhys Priestland being out injured. It’s who turns up, who fronts-up in training that will get the nod. We’re lucky to have that battle.”

Whoever does win the race for the starting spot against the Irish will face the man who is being seen as favourite to wear the Lions No.10 jersey in Australia this summer – Jonny Sexton.

Does Jenkins believe Sexton is favourite to be Warren Gatland’s first-choice stand-off?

Yes, but he wants Welsh alternatives to give Gatland something to think about through their Six Nations form.

“He (Sexton) is an outstanding player for Ireland and Leinster. He dictates games,” said Jenkins, who played second fiddle to Jonny Wilkinson on the 2001 tour against the Wallabies, when a Graham Henry-led Lions outfit lost the Test series 2-1.

“Ronan O’Gara is a good friend of mine, but Sexton has the nod over him at the moment and deservedly so.

“Sexton kicks well and links well with D’Arcy and O’Driscoll, he’s good in attack and defence and doesn’t really have many weaknesses.

“In terms of the Lions, it’s difficult because there’s a lot of time before the tour.

“Owen Farrell did well for England against New Zealand in November and I’m a big fan of Toby Flood.

“But I’m hoping our guys might have something to say about that as well.

“I’d like to think they can have a very good championship and put their hands up for the Lions as well.

“But, as things stand, Sexton is probably in pole position and maybe Farrell and Flood vying for the next sport, but who knows?”

Jenkins concedes that Wales have to redeem themselves after a wretched autumn series which saw them lose all four Test matches against Argentina, Samoa, New Zealand and Australia.

“For us, it’s just actually been a big boost getting together again having not been together since the autumn,” he added.

“We’ve obviously lost our last seven games but we should have won the last game in the autumn. We had some positives in defeat, and we are now getting to grips with what we need to do and we’re focusing on Ireland.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/01/23/wales-six-nations-number-10-to-be-decided-on-training-performances-91466-32657133/#ixzz2Inb1PXai

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:May well be right there. Nothing wrong with Andrews performance in the AIs. He did well, even surprised a few experts.. Bedford included.

Cheers maes but I have never proeffessed to be an expert in the dark arts having only ever ventured up as far as 2nd row lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:25 pm

I think it will be a huge kick in the teeth for Biggar if he doesn't start.

The managemnet bang on about players staying in Wales will be given priority, well Biggar is in Wales and in the form Welsh fly half and has been for past season and bit now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

Coaching is not just about "sound bites! and that's all I hear coming from the welsh camp - Compare this with the articulate appraisal of Lancaster whether in defeat or victory. The talk coming out of the welsh camp, or rather the lack of any reasoned debate really worrys me and suggests Gatland has left a cerebral coaching chasm behind. The fact that some idiot/s is looking at what they do in training as being of great significance continues to worry me. The last time Wales chose Turnbull and a few others was because they'd shown up well in training Whistle Please get these mindless idots away from the welsh management set up as they are beginning to make Johnathan Humphries at the Ospreys sound sensible thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:22 pm

Well, almost Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:The fact that some idiot/s is looking at what they do in training as being of great significance continues to worry me.

You're not alone. I'm not saying that they should pay no attention to how things go in training, but if one player in a certain position has been playing great rugby week in, week out for months and his rival has been up and down like a stripper's knickers, then for me it wouldn't matter who 'shows up' best in training (i.e. a non-match environment).

Say Player A is a natural talent but half-arsed in training; do you then select Player B, who's not as good but who is a trier?

It was this kind of thinking that saw Huw Bennett pick up cap after cap despite not replicating in Test matches what he was (presumably) showing in training.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Abso fu ckin gluet ly
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:The fact that some idiot/s is looking at what they do in training as being of great significance continues to worry me.

You're not alone. I'm not saying that they should pay no attention to how things go in training, but if one player in a certain position has been playing great rugby week in, week out for months and his rival has been up and down like a stripper's knickers, then for me it wouldn't matter who 'shows up' best in training (i.e. a non-match environment).

It was this kind of thinking that saw Huw Bennett pick up cap after cap despite not replicating in Test matches what he was (presumably) showing in training.

In fairness, Bennett was fantastic in the WC. His WC form was better than any of our current hookers, bar perhaps Hibbard - but both bring different options so it's hard to compare.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

He was great in the World Cup, I agree; but for a good season or two leading up to the tournament, he really wasn't producing the goods. That's the period I was talking about.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

The very fact that we continue to hear "showing up well in training" suggests to me that these coaches are incapable of much else rather than lets get stuck into them etc etc. We have been bereft of ideas since Gatland has been away and its scary to think its not going to change thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Bennett did have a very good WC and in fact became one of the 'go to' men that said I still cringed everytime he got near the ball.

I have said all along that Howley wasnt upto this level and nothing that has happened since he has taken the reigns convinces me otherwise.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

Always good to hear someone 'went really well in training'. Classic Welsh cliche.

Although having good 1500m times did get Wayne Proctor 39 caps.

Apparently Will James was called up for his as he has a wonderful singing voice.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

What people are complaining about is a catch 22, you shouldnt pick on reputation, but you shouldnt pick on form shown in training either?

So if player A has had a good season but shows much less enthusiasm in training, are you still supposed to pick him over player B who has shown a lot of effort and commitment in training?

What message does that send to both players?

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

Form in training, FORM IN TRAINING!

Simply, an abdication of duty.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

I'd rather see us base selection on how players have been performing during matches than on how they've been performing in training. Simple as that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

Current match form surely has to be the starting basis for any selection. If there are two players vying for one slot both on form then ok lets look at how they perform in the national environment BUT current form has to be the basis to start with.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

He looked good in training...

Yeah but that was the fake tan and tight shorts you tart!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

I know no one is expecting much from this Six Nations so it is a great opportunity to blood youngsters against good international opposition and prepare for the future.

It's great we still have a very young squad and will hopefully push on for future success.

Worrying about the immediate catastrophes seems some what pointless in the present situation. Lets not bury our heads in the sand reflecting on all is that is bad but look at the possible small victories we might acheive.

Regurgitating the same points on every thread quickly becomes tiresome reading.

There are lots of young lads being given a good opportunity, lets hope they grow fast and surprise us.

For the stoic and experienced lets hope they play their best. Everyman in the squad has had more good days than bad. Lets see those good days return.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

Turnbull has been average this season and for many before it. However prior to the AI's he showed great form in training and was chosen - The rest is history. thumbsup

If the coach doesn't know who is best players are right now and more importantly in Howleys case how to motivate and get the best out of these then he shouldn't be in the job. Howleys a great lad but all I'm reading now are more of his OBVIOUS comments with the latest being "Wales urged to end losing streak" By RH

They don't need URGING Rob, they need coaching and tactics to beat an organised Irish team. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

Glas a du wrote:He looked good in training...

Yeah but that was the fake tan and tight shorts you tart!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo love it

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

Maes, we've lost seven Test matches on the trot. Bullocks to 'preparing for the future', I'll take a 3 - 0 win a week on Saturday.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:25 pm

The Casartelli Principle.

If a Welsh player has consistently proven he has the goods at test level (e.g. Phillips, Roberts, Warburton etc) then if he can walk and talk unaided you pick him for the next game, irrespective of whether someone does more press ups/can stay in the ice chamber/looks more 'up for it' in TRAINING.

If a player has a prolonged slump in TEST matches (not regional games or doing shuttle runs down the Vale), like Priestland did, then you encourage them back to form via their region and bring someone else in.

Training sessions and the Rabo are NOT a reliable indicator of test form.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I know no one is expecting much from this Six Nations so it is a great opportunity to blood youngsters against good international opposition and prepare for the future.

It's great we still have a very young squad and will hopefully push on for future success.

Worrying about the immediate catastrophes seems some what pointless in the present situation. Lets not bury our heads in the sand reflecting on all is that is bad but look at the possible small victories we might acheive.

Regurgitating the same points on every thread quickly becomes tiresome reading.

There are lots of young lads being given a good opportunity, lets hope they grow fast and surprise us.

For the stoic and experienced lets hope they play their best. Everyman in the squad has had more good days than bad. Lets see those good days return.

Maesteg - I remain very positive about Wales and think we can win 4/5 with a defeat away to France, we have the players to achieve this, especially with many back for the England game - I am very positive. However, after the AI's the coaching deficits are there for all to see and without Gatland my 4/5 could easily be 0/5 from what I've seen of Howley as an internationlal coach and his complete lacking in the top 8 inches department. I'm just waiting for the same drivel to come out of his mouth after another defeat. We have the players, that is not an issue. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

Sorry Maes but I think we have to put an end to this losing streak, if we ended up with spoon (a possibility IMO) this season that could be 12 games without a win.

If we have to blood players due to injuries then fine but we still need to get some wins under our belt and soon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

Casartelli wrote:The Casartelli Principle.

If a Welsh player has consistently proven he has the goods at test level (e.g. Phillips, Roberts, Warburton etc) then if he can walk and talk unaided you pick him for the next game, irrespective of whether someone does more press ups/can stay in the ice chamber/looks more 'up for it' in TRAINING.

If a player has a prolonged slump in TEST matches (not regional games or doing shuttle runs down the Vale), like Priestland did, then you encourage them back to form via their region and bring someone else in.

If the Rabo is not considered a place to show and pick from form then what do we pick from?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:30 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Sorry Maes but I think we have to put an end to this losing streak, if we ended up with spoon (a possibility IMO) this season that could be 12 games without a win.

If we have to blood players due to injuries then fine but we still need to get some wins under our belt and soon.

Could be thirteen games Beds...!

It doesn't matter who we have on the pitch to want a win, we need lads who will make it happen.

The only inexperienced lad I want to see in the opening game is King, I think he is up to it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:30 pm

Maesteg (and others) - who would your 4.5.6.7. and 8 be at the moment? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Maesteg (and others) - who would your 4.5.6.7. and 8 be at the moment? thumbsup

Ruby,

Keeping fingers crossed that Jones and Evans are fit MINE would be

Jones
Evans
Shingler
Faletau
Tipuric

But we all know Sam will start so in that case I would go with

Jones
Evans
Shingler
Faletau
Warburton
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:The Casartelli Principle.

If the Rabo is not considered a place to show and pick from form then what do we pick from?

If one of the usual suspects is out injured, I accept you'd have to take a chance on someone else. Based on height probably, given previous selections.

I didn't say it was a perfect principle! I'd be on the big bucks with the WRU if it was. Very Happy

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:43 pm

Bedford - those are my choices although I would start with Warbs, Shingler and Toby - Who's you're front row thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

Ruby,

I think thats what we will see, like said we all know Sam will start.

Front row is a bit of a no brainer for me James Hibbard Jones
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

When I look at those 8 with James Hibbard and Jones it gives me hope. It's a decent XV without doubt. I can still see Matthew Rees getting the nod somewhere due to his experience. I'm a fan of Ken Owens as well but if Hibbard can do it for the 80 then at the moment he's the man. These players need confidence - give them to me for an hour and they'll come out 10 feet tall thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:54 pm

Hibbard's presence/bulk in the front row would be reassuring. Looks hit or miss behind that. Depends what they do with Ryan J. I'd play him at 8, if fit, and have Faletau at 6.

Can't see Howley thinking outside the box like that though.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

Ruby,

I would have Rees on bench at the moment just for that reason.

I don't doubt the players we have, I wouldn't even be to upset if King did start and Jones slotted in at No6 but I have very little confidence in Howley at all.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

Why play Faletau at No6 when he has played very little there over the last few seasons, especially when you have Shingler in the squad who has proved he can do it at this level.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

I'm with you Bedford - A few months ago there was a thread on which member of your squad you would miss most during the 6 nations. My response was Gatland. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Why play Faletau at No6 when he has played very little there over the last few seasons, especially when you have Shingler in the squad who has proved he can do it at this level.

The element of surprise.

And he looks 'more powerful' than Shingler. I appreciate that's a bit subjective, but it compensates for Lydiate's absence. Visually at least.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:13 pm

4 - Evans
5 - King
6 - Toby
7 - Warbs
8 - Ryan

Its certainly interesting thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

Shingler offers something completely different. He's such an athletic 6, he would give us something lethal going forward with his pace and power. Also, he's a great option to have in the line out. I'd like to see us go in with a mobile forward line, that could incorporate a fast, high paced running game which I think we are most suited to.

Shingler
Tips
Faletau

There's so much quality in that back row, with footballing skills and handling skills. Stick Jones in the second row with Ian Evans and the scrum won't be weakened that much.

Byrne
North
1/2p

Would be my back 3. Byrne's back on form and when he's on form he's one of the best FB's in the world. 1/2p has done a job at FB but is a superb winger. He'd benefit from moving back there. Even though North is off form his defence is better than Cuthbert's. Cuthbert would be a nice option from the bench.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

And if it starts to unravel you can just swap Ryan and the Tobester around.

Time to update my CV and send to Roger Lewis...

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Thing is guys we all know that Warburton will start and whilst I would start Tipuric Sam has been finding some form if late.

I know there was the though of playing him at 6 Tips at 7 which if we were down to bare bones then I would say give it a go but if Shingler and/or Jones are fit then one ofd them should be at No6
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Maes, we've lost seven Test matches on the trot. Bullocks to 'preparing for the future', I'll take a 3 - 0 win a week on Saturday.

2-1 would do me.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Maes, we've lost seven Test matches on the trot. Bullocks to 'preparing for the future', I'll take a 3 - 0 win a week on Saturday.

Hear hear. Is he still going on about blooding? picard
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

Shingler is fast and abrasive and a greta option - We just have to make sure we have a secure platform from the front 5 and we need a number of line out options as we have gone backwards in that key area. Irelands forwards are no great shakes so this remains an opportunity. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

How did you guess? Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

Liam wrote:Shingler offers something completely different. He's such an athletic 6, he would give us something lethal going forward with his pace and power. Also, he's a great option to have in the line out. I'd like to see us go in with a mobile forward line, that could incorporate a fast, high paced running game which I think we are most suited to.......

I think we'd all quite like to see that.

But will Howley have the chutzpah to abandon the tactics of the last 5 years to accommodate Shings???

Big call.

O'Brien is back from injury and can be an absolute handful - even Lydiate has struggled to contain him in the past.

I say pick the most experienced, and heaviest, back row we have. Faletau, Jones and Warbs.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm

We're at home. We should take the game to them, not sit back and try to contain them. I'd love to see a Shingler - Faletau - Tipuric back row, but I'm not expecting to see it.

We shouldn't be choosing to keep it tight against Ireland. Pick a mobile, footballing backrow and look to keep the ball alive. All three of them can link with our backs, which is where we have a physical advantage.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

Great to see some true optimism on here at last.

I'm almost starting to believe that it won't just be pick & drive, with Biggar instructed to hoof all our ball down the middle of the pitch.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

That's right Casartelli - even with the injuries we have I believe we can beat Ireland by 10 plus - Its just the Howley factor that unerves me. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next