The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

+37
TycroesOsprey
mckay1402
tatterd
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
SubsBench
Cyril
red_stag
iantobquick
welshy6
VinceWLB
Liam
Higher_Ground
Comfort
Morgannwg
Coleman
EnglandRose
thebluesmancometh
munkian
majesticimperialman
bluestonevedder
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
mpc28
dogtooth
youngguns6
chris_501
pioden gorllewin
Casartelli
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
RubyGuby
Glas a du
wales606
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts on the squad..?

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_lcap13%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_lcap28%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 15 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_lcap23%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 12 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_lcap30%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 16 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_lcap6%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 53

Poll closed

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Empty Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Six Nations 2013: Wales name five uncapped players

Wales interim coach Rob Howley has named five uncapped players in a 35-man squad for the RBS Six Nations.
With four front-line locks ruled out with injury, James King (Ospreys) and Andrew Coombs (Dragons) have been called up for the first time.

They are joined by Blues back-rowers Josh Navidi and South Africa-born Andries Pretorius, who qualifies on residency, and Ospreys wing Eli Walker.
Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate and Bradley Davies are injured.
Charteris is out for the season, but Davies, Wyn Jones and Lydiate could return for the latter stages of the tournament for the defending champions.
Wales Six Nations fixtures

v Ireland - 2 February, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (13:30 GMT)
v France - 9 February, Stade de France, Paris (17:00 GMT)
v Italy - 23 February, Stadio Olimpico, Rome (14:30 GMT)
v Scotland - 9 March, Murrayfield, Edinburgh (14:30 GMT)
v England - 16 March, Twickenham, London (17:00 GMT)

Versatile forward Ryan Jones has been included despite dislocating his thumb on Sunday, raising doubts over his availability for the opener against Ireland in Cardiff on 2 February.

Back in the squad is full-back Lee Byrne of Clermont Auvergne, who was overlooked for the autumn internationals, but there is no place for 19-year-old Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Howley has named an experienced contingent in the front row, which is bolstered by the return to fitness of Adam Jones (Ospreys) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), who feature alongside Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Paul James (Bath), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Ryan Bevington (Ospreys).

"We have put together a very experienced squad and complemented that by rewarding the in-form players with a call-up," said Howley.

"The players in the squad have been playing really well and we have been pleased with their individual performances.

"We have a group of players who know how to win big matches and have experienced success. We are adding to that players who have stood out and performed well for the regions this season."
King, a former Wales Under-20s cap, has impressed for Ospreys this season and will vie for a second-row berth with 28-year-old Coombs.

In the back row, Sam Warburton, who has been named as captain, is selected alongside the experienced Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) and Josh Turnbull (Scarlets).

In the backline Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) will contest the number nine jersey. They will be joined at half-back by Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and James Hook (Perpignan), with Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) unavailable for selection because of injury.
The 2012 Grand Slam Champions begin the defence of their title against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, before facing France in Paris the following weekend.

WALES SQUAD:

Forwards:
Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys) Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys) Lou Reed (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Andries Pretorius (Blues)

Backs:
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets) Alex Cuthbert (Blues), George North (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont).

Injured Wales players

Ashley Beck (centre) - will miss first two Six Nations games
Huw Bennett (hooker) - targeting return in February
Luke Charteris (lock) - out for the season
Bradley Davies (lock) - unlikely to feature in Six Nations
Ian Evans (lock) - expected to be fit for the Six Nations
James Hook (fly-half) - expected to be fit for Six Nations
Aaron Jarvis (prop) - out for the season
Alun Wyn Jones (lock) - will miss start of Six Nations
Ryan Jones (lock/back-row) - expected to miss start of Six Nations
Dan Lydiate (flanker) - set to return in February
Rhys Priestland (fly-half) - out for the season
Aaron Shingler (flanker) - set to return in January

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by Casartelli Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 pm

wales606 wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Tipuric and Navidi are like for like. Jack of Spades/Jack of Clubs.

They'll get obliterated against top level backrowers. If we're determined to go for a Martyn Williams clone then Tipuric, of the two, offers a lot more - but Faletau is already doing this job from 8.

Regional form is irrelevant - test rugby is effectively an entirely different sport nowadays.

How on earth if Faletau doing Martyn's role? He is not a fetcher, doesn't win scrappy ball and knocks on about twice a game - compared to Martyn's twice in his career.

'Finesse' player - light/fast compared to opponent in same position, runs at space rather than at opponents, generally good hands etc etc. A skills player rather than a powerhouse. Martyn used to knock on a LOT early in his career until he learned to avoid contact at all costs.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by Casartelli Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Navidi isn't ready, but a bit of Wales training exposure will do him good, and he will get better. He has been very good in his first real regional season and has a Wales call up = not to be sniffed at for a forward!!!!

He's doing all he can do and should be praised for that. We're in a 'transition phase' in terms of regional rugby (as we always seem to be) and as we're so far off the pace at top European level it's difficult to gauge how good some of these boys are. It would be great if Navidi and Tipuric push Warburton for a test place.

Warburton just 'looks' like he can compete physically at the top level. The other two don't.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Yep, Navidi is the Blues best performer this season - including in the HC. Yet he is already 'not going to make it' after 1 season playing regularly in the pro12 and doing a such a fantastic job he is not the Blues vice-captain (and may well be captain if Pretorious doesn't regain his first team spot)

Meanwhile Eli Walker who was abysmal last season and humiliated when he stepped up to HC level - but is now playing well scoring fancy tries - despite conceding some with very poor defence. He is class and should be starting over George Norht/Alex Cuthbert who have been scoring tries for their clubs and country for the last year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Don't think Eli Walker will make it either. This season's Prydie.

Cuthbert, North, Halfpenny and Byrne are genuine international class and miles ahead of anyone else.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I'd put Navidi on par with the likes of Walker, plenty to learn, and plenty to grow but both showing some real quality early in their careers.

I am seriously hoping both these guys get at least a little exposure to reward their club form so far, even if it's just bench spots!

Both should go back to their club buoyed by their new experiences, unless the Phillips, Pryide, Robinson effect takes hold!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Maybe. But at best they'll be luxury players at test level. If you have the absolute best XV around them, you could take a chance on throwing them in and see if they could produce something 'special'.

For better or for worse, test rugby is a power-fest now. A backrow of, say, Shingler, Faletau and Navidi would just get annihilated, regardless of how fast, fit and soft their hands are.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Hang on, Lydiate, Warburton and Faletau would not have got the nod in '11 under your criteria. Don't be so blydi Irish about things. Navidi has shown he has something to offer, it's unfortunate for him that he is in the same generation of open sides as the best two open sides in the home nations Tipuric and Warburton. He deserves to be in the squad, he's unlikely to play short of injuries.

Pretorius on the other hand picard
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Have to agree with Glas, it's too early to say they won't make it, it's easy to gain power as you grow older, but a bit of quality and the right nurture is invaluable.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 am

out of interest has anyone else heard that Worcester Warriors James Percival was apparently included in the original squad - but at the 11th hour WRU discovered that he was ineligible?

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:37 am

Didn;t hear that one, wondered what happended to him. Should have capped the Quin though
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:48 am

Navidi would be picked up and squeezed like a lemon pip at the top level of international rugby in my opinion. If he proves me wrong I'll be the first to say well done lad. Tipuric has more physicality about him. Warburton is easy to bash but lets see what happens come the 6 nations as Warbs and Tips vying for the 7 spot is healthy IMO. However, if we don't have a platform we're shafted. thumbsup

If fit I would currently go with

6 - Lydiate
7 - Warbs
8 - Ryan

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am

At this stage in his career I see Ryan more of a supersub than a starter. He is a player who can come on with say 30 minutes to go and make a real impact. I just feel that he will struggle with the intensity for a full 80 and is a good experienced player to bring on and help control the game.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 pm

what I am slightly concerned about is that howley has suggested North in the Centre, why? Roberts is gaining form, Scott Williams is a very good option at centre, then obviously we have Jonathon Davies who is absolute quality and in my opinion leading the charge for the lions 13 shirt. so why with these centres would we put a winger who hasn't played centre in his whole professional career, play centre at international? The other worrying thing is that Howley mentioned that Pretorius who has shown no form, is most likely to break into the squad...what!?!?!?!? Does Howley actually watch regional matches??

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Agree Welshy,

North is fine on the wing and has the ability to become a truly world class winger. Why change that by messing up his development there. Like you said, Roberts has looked good in his comeback so far and JD2 has been sensational this season. Scott Williams is a great prospect and also Beck when he returns from injury.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm

However I do find the Pretorius thing even more concerning, We have Faletau who is getting injust abuse at the moment, Ryan Jones who is SuperSub, We then have the likes of Ieuan Jones and Morgan Allen who should be breaking through in the next few seasons, while Faletau is still improving. Then there is also potentially Copeland who has been on fire for the blues and deserves to keep Pretorius out of the 8 shirt. Also I just think he has no shown no form and frankly does not deserve to be in the squad, certainly over Lewis Evans

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Ooops wrong thread - just talk among yeselves whilst I amend Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Pack I'd like to see for wales Ireland:

8. Faletau
7. Warburton
6. James king
5. Ian Evans
4. Ryan Jones
3. Adam Jones
2. Hibbard
1. Bevington

In bevington r jones, king and warburton we'd also have 4 players who are strong over the ball where ireland usually struggle.

Our backs are good enough whom ever we pick. Opinions?

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 pm

I am expecting a pack of this personally.

1) James- Form Loosehead, Took the shirt in the AI's and have seen no indication he should lose it
2) Hibbard- again form choice, offers a lot of the grunt work, and he is a 'unit'
3) Jones- the Rock simple
4) Ian Evans (hopefully fit)
5) Ryan Jones (should be fit) maybe 4 and Evans 5, I don't know?
6) Warburton- Gaining form and while not a Blindside, with the absence of Lydiate and the next form 6, Evans with Shingler yet to return from injury. (and Warbs is captain)
7) Tipuric- Form 7 in Wales simple
8) Faletau- getting a lot of injust criticism, yes he has knocked on too much, but playing behind a beaten pack will increase the amount of mistakes

16) Owens, very good in the loose for when things break up
17) Jenkins, class player to bring on- as long as he is fit
18) Andrews
19) Reed
20) Shingler if fit- although this sub position could be snatched by any of the backrow

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 am

Welshy,

I think thats what we will see James has to start at L/Head for me, I would like to see King in ahead of Reed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:58 am

Good pack welshy. The only change I'd make is maybe drop Warburton at 6 to the bench and go for Shingler. However, everything depends on injury as I think Evans and Jones at lock may be injured??? Will they be available for the first game? Shingler still injured too so I can't do my squad!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 am

Griff,

You know Warburton won't be dropped and I am not normally one for moving one player just to accomodate another but with injuries and doubts has to who will actually be fit I think hats bets option at moment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 am

SubsBench wrote:At this stage in his career I see Ryan more of a supersub than a starter. He is a player who can come on with say 30 minutes to go and make a real impact. I just feel that he will struggle with the intensity for a full 80 and is a good experienced player to bring on and help control the game.

What a pile of anachronistic nonsense. Just because a player has turned 30 means he can't last a whole game!! That may have been true in the amateur era but there is no evidence for this in Ryan's case. Ryan is a professional athlete and at 30 is at his peak. Modern conditioning allows players, barring injury to play for longer. Shane Williams' fitness stats at 34 exceeded those of his at 24. Rugby has moved on from this 'lost a yard of pace' nonsense. Keep up!

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglandRose Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 am

Exactly.

Ian Gough should be in the squad. Superfit over 30 workhorse.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 pm

England don't get interested in front five players until they are 30.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Glas a du wrote:England don't get interested in front five players until they are 30.

Unless they are called dan cole, joe launchbury, tom youngs, courtney lawes, alex corbisiero, vunipola.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

The exceptions to the rule.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Walking wounded: Howley's injury list from five days ago.

Forwards:

Alun Wyn Jones, >Shoulder injury, out until March

Luke Charteris, Out for season, knee ligament

Bradley Davies, Having ankle operation this week

Ian Evans, Close to return after knee injury

Ryan Jones, Dislocated thumb against Leicester on Sunday - Now looking possibly available against ireland not before

Richard Hibbard, Shoulder injury, against Leicester - Now looking possibly available against ireland not before

Aaron Jarvis, Out for season, knee ligament

Huw Bennett, Achilles surgery in summer

Dan Lydiate, Broke ankle in September – hopeful of making part of Six Nations

Aaron Shingler, Close to return after groin injury

Backs:

Rhys Priestland, Out for the season, Achilles tendon

Ashley Beck, Ankle ligament, will miss two games

James Hook, Chest injury, two more weeks out - Has returned for USAP this weekend from the bench.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Shingler cane in from the bench last night.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm

That list must be old, because Hook played on the weekend
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Cane in? Came on.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 am

wales606 wrote:That list must be old, because Hook played on the weekend

Mate. It says from five days ago at the top of my post. Plus I have added the changes after the original list.

I will highlight them for you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I think my team choice for Ireland would be. Taking fitness for granted as we expect according to the latest info from coaches and clubs.

1 james
2 Hibbard
3 jones
4 king
5 Evans
6 jones
7 Warburton
8 Faletau
9 Phillips
10 Biggar
11 Cuthbert
12 Roberts
13 Davies
14 north
15 halfpenny

16 Jenkins
17 Rees
18 Mitchell
19 Shingler
20 Tipuric
21 Williams
22 hook

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Double post

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Maes,

Is that your choice or what you think Howley will pick?

For what its worth I think thats pretty much what we will see, though I think we will see R Jones alongside Evans with Shingler at No6 and you haven't put a No9 on the bench.

Though given the two options available I wouldn't say thats such a bad thing, I am guessing it will be Knoyle. I reckon he might show bit of faith with Andrews as well if its a 23 man matchday squad. Is it?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Like that team Maes. The only thing I would say about JD2, everyone saying he is "leading the charge for the lions 13 spot" etc etc is that, whilst he is great going forward and his step almost always beats the first man, I have seen him fall off a fair few tackles recently so I hope he's getting plenty of practise in! Not knocking him but he'll have to be on top form against the Micks

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Unless Maes's number 21 is Lloyd Williams.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm just going to come out with it. I think Stephen Shingler should be included in the squad. I know he never will be after trying to play for Scotland but he is a solid 10 with decent distribution and kicking skills. it's not like we're over run with them. Plus he can cover other positions.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Doh, apologies Maes I am taking the Williams on your bench is Lloyd not Scott.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Very good, but I think Jarvis will struggle on crutches!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Unless Maes's number 21 is Lloyd Williams.

Yh just added my apologies guessing it is
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

and I assume its Liam Williams at 21 Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Glas a du wrote:Very good, but I think Jarvis will struggle on crutches!

Actually has he been named in squad?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Isn't anyone concerned about picking an unfit or at least not match fit Ian Evans?

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Norfolklass wrote:Isn't anyone concerned about picking an unfit or at least not match fit Ian Evans?

I think its a case of needs must at moment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I meant Mitchell. Have amended it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:21 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Norfolklass wrote:Isn't anyone concerned about picking an unfit or at least not match fit Ian Evans?

I think its a case of needs must at moment.

Anyone but Lou reed we can't be that desperate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Actually has he been named in squad?

He is out for the season, so I doubt it
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 am

It was my mistake I meant Mitchell not Jarvis.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 am

I still think he might show bit of faith to Andrews, he proved me wrong in the AIs.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am

Yep, my heart sank when he ran on against the All Blacks, but he did much better than I feared he would.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next