The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

+37
TycroesOsprey
mckay1402
tatterd
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
SubsBench
Cyril
red_stag
iantobquick
welshy6
VinceWLB
Liam
Higher_Ground
Comfort
Morgannwg
Coleman
EnglandRose
thebluesmancometh
munkian
majesticimperialman
bluestonevedder
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
mpc28
dogtooth
youngguns6
chris_501
pioden gorllewin
Casartelli
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
RubyGuby
Glas a du
wales606
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts on the squad..?

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_lcap13%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_lcap28%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 15 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_lcap23%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 12 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_lcap30%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 16 ]
Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_lcap6%Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 53

Poll closed

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Empty Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Six Nations 2013: Wales name five uncapped players

Wales interim coach Rob Howley has named five uncapped players in a 35-man squad for the RBS Six Nations.
With four front-line locks ruled out with injury, James King (Ospreys) and Andrew Coombs (Dragons) have been called up for the first time.

They are joined by Blues back-rowers Josh Navidi and South Africa-born Andries Pretorius, who qualifies on residency, and Ospreys wing Eli Walker.
Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate and Bradley Davies are injured.
Charteris is out for the season, but Davies, Wyn Jones and Lydiate could return for the latter stages of the tournament for the defending champions.
Wales Six Nations fixtures

v Ireland - 2 February, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (13:30 GMT)
v France - 9 February, Stade de France, Paris (17:00 GMT)
v Italy - 23 February, Stadio Olimpico, Rome (14:30 GMT)
v Scotland - 9 March, Murrayfield, Edinburgh (14:30 GMT)
v England - 16 March, Twickenham, London (17:00 GMT)

Versatile forward Ryan Jones has been included despite dislocating his thumb on Sunday, raising doubts over his availability for the opener against Ireland in Cardiff on 2 February.

Back in the squad is full-back Lee Byrne of Clermont Auvergne, who was overlooked for the autumn internationals, but there is no place for 19-year-old Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Howley has named an experienced contingent in the front row, which is bolstered by the return to fitness of Adam Jones (Ospreys) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), who feature alongside Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Paul James (Bath), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Ryan Bevington (Ospreys).

"We have put together a very experienced squad and complemented that by rewarding the in-form players with a call-up," said Howley.

"The players in the squad have been playing really well and we have been pleased with their individual performances.

"We have a group of players who know how to win big matches and have experienced success. We are adding to that players who have stood out and performed well for the regions this season."
King, a former Wales Under-20s cap, has impressed for Ospreys this season and will vie for a second-row berth with 28-year-old Coombs.

In the back row, Sam Warburton, who has been named as captain, is selected alongside the experienced Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) and Josh Turnbull (Scarlets).

In the backline Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) will contest the number nine jersey. They will be joined at half-back by Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and James Hook (Perpignan), with Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) unavailable for selection because of injury.
The 2012 Grand Slam Champions begin the defence of their title against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, before facing France in Paris the following weekend.

WALES SQUAD:

Forwards:
Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys) Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys) Lou Reed (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Andries Pretorius (Blues)

Backs:
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets) Alex Cuthbert (Blues), George North (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont).

Injured Wales players

Ashley Beck (centre) - will miss first two Six Nations games
Huw Bennett (hooker) - targeting return in February
Luke Charteris (lock) - out for the season
Bradley Davies (lock) - unlikely to feature in Six Nations
Ian Evans (lock) - expected to be fit for the Six Nations
James Hook (fly-half) - expected to be fit for Six Nations
Aaron Jarvis (prop) - out for the season
Alun Wyn Jones (lock) - will miss start of Six Nations
Ryan Jones (lock/back-row) - expected to miss start of Six Nations
Dan Lydiate (flanker) - set to return in February
Rhys Priestland (fly-half) - out for the season
Aaron Shingler (flanker) - set to return in January

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by Liam Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

I think with Tips and Shingler we would be too quick for them at the break down and getting to rucks. Really think Wales have the tools to play an expansive game capable of winning games like we did in 2005. I think we have a squad of playing that game style but to even better levels of performance, as we have the players required to implement that style of play.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations - Page 7 Empty Re: Wales Squad for 2013 Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Maesteg (and others) - who would your 4.5.6.7. and 8 be at the moment? thumbsup

If like to see

King
Evans
Jones
Warburton
Faletau

With Shingler and Tipuric on the bench.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

I see Shingler is a favourite with people. Why? I don't think we've seen enough of him since he last played due to his injuries. With that said, would he be our best 6? If bulked up and kept his speed then he would probably the next JT (in his prime). I don't think I've seen him carry or hit rucks hard enough. He does have his attributes though and he stepped in well when asked to play at 7.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

He's a bit light, but coming back from injury Saturday and coming on second half, he was still the best Scarlet forward by a country mile.

I think he's a Wallace type open side, and blind side cover if 1-5 and 8 are strong enough.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

I don't think he has had a bad game for Wales when called upon as he?

If all fit firing etc I would say he was 3rd choice behind Lydiate and Jones but he's a fairly decent 3rd choice.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

Shingler looks like a Tom Croft in the making for me with his pace. Don't see England complaining about Croft being lightweight. Give Shingler a go FFS, he gave a good account of himself in Dublin last year when called upon didn't he?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:51 pm

In Dublin?

He has had his chances and no he isn't as good as Tom Croft. We don't need Shingler in our back-row unless he becomes the bruiser we need.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

Liam wrote:I think with Tips and Shingler we would be too quick for them at the break down and getting to rucks. Really think Wales have the tools to play an expansive game capable of winning games like we did in 2005. I think we have a squad of playing that game style but to even better levels of performance, as we have the players required to implement that style of play.

To play the high tempo offloading game we need a 10 and 12 who have great distribution skills. In 02-06 we had Wellies playing the best rugby of his life at ten and Iestyn Harris and then Henson playing the first 5/8 role. Whatever the Orange one's myriad of faults his ability to give a pass was a joy to behold. Wellies at his best was wonderful at setting the back division free. A player who really benefited from playing in France.

Today we have Roberts at 12 who has strengths but passing is not one of them. At the same time we have Hook (possibly)at ten who is guaranteed to give a try scoring pass but sadly as much chance of it being to the opposition as to a welsh player. Or we have Biggar who can pass but is more likely to kick.

Without a 10/12 axis that can distribute the ball we are stuck with the kick and pressure game and hope to score off turnovers or mistakes. Since RP suffered his collapse in form and confidence Wales have been pedestrian.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

Well said Tycros...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

Roberts is actually a good passer. Davies and Williams aren't, although JD2 is improving in this area.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:08 pm

Oh morgs come on Roberts isnt in the same league as Harris or Henson at putting someone in space. As far as passing goes it like comparing a Bugati with a mini metro, Davies and Williams being robin reliant's.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

oops sorry morg my bad - it was at cardiff in the Jock game he showed up. I disagree that he had had his chances - he hasn't had a run in the side

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:11 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Oh morgs come on Roberts isnt in the same league as Harris or Henson at putting someone in space. As far as passing goes it like comparing a Bugati with a mini metro, Davies and Williams being robin reliant's.

Davies and Williams are better passers than Roberts.

Beck Davies would be a good combo, but I would love to see a new Henson-risqué youngster come on to the scene...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

Well you're the one asking to give him a chance, and I'm saying he has, as in he's played a good few games. Unless he can replicate what Lydiate does then he shouldn't be a starter. It weakens our back-row.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:Oh morgs come on Roberts isnt in the same league as Harris or Henson at putting someone in space. As far as passing goes it like comparing a Bugati with a mini metro, Davies and Williams being robin reliant's.

Beck Davies would be a good combo, but I would love to see a new Henson-risqué youngster come on to the scene...

laughing How the feck did you work that out?

Tycroes, I know he isn't as good a passer as Henson, not many are. But I've been watching him for a while and I've watched his distribution this season. His passing is good so I'm not sure where this criticism is coming from. You need to worry about Biggar's passing. They don't call him Mr Intercept for naff all.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

Not so sure about Williams I have seen him throw some awful passes for the scarlets and the problem I have with Beck is his lack of physique and power.

Sadly I dont see anyone coming through at the moment so we are stuck with what we have. Should be enough to win 3 or 4 but not the slam and probably not the championship.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

I wouldn't say Beck lacks power, it's more like acceleration and nous he lacks. Fairly big guy too according to the stats. Haven't seen him do much passing or kicking but that offload to Cuthbert in Aus was pretty good.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

Dont get me wrong Morgs, Biggar will add nothing to our midfield distribution. The point is that Roberts at 12 curtails our ability to play an expansive game and combined with our current choice of 10 it means we are stick with the gameplan we had last autumn.

I do think that to play the kind of offload and change the point of attack you need a world class distributor of the ball. Both Harris and Henson were, imo Harris was probably better at it than Henson but orange boy understood union

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:28 pm

He takes some hammerings in the tackle for the Ospreys Maes and his ability to burst through a tackle is poor but he has good hands and quick feet. Defensively I'm not confident when the Ospreys play him, for Wales I think he would be exposed badly over time.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:40 pm

I thought carrying was his strength when I first seen him become an Ospreys regular. Has he gone backwards?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 6:10 am

From the Guardian

Rare is the year when there is not a fly-half debate in Wales and 11 days before they begin the defence of their Six Nations title against Ireland in Cardiff, sides are being taken on who should wear the No10 jersey in the absence of the injured Rhys Priestland.

In the one corner is Dan Biggar, the 23-year old Osprey who, despite his 11 caps, has never been first choice and has yet to make an appearance in the Six Nations. In the other is the man he dislodged from fly-half with his region in 2009, James Hook.

Hook has since joined Perpignan, fed up at being played in the centre and at full-back by region and country, and there he has made the No10 jersey his own, returning to action last week after a shoulder injury and scoring a try.

Biggar is enjoying his best season with Ospreys, running games with maturity, but he would be more of a gamble than Hook, who was chosen at fly-half at the start of the 2010 Six Nations.

"James has not played much rugby in recent weeks, but he is a class act who has been with us for seven years and we know what he is all about," said the Wales kicking coach, Neil Jenkins, who during his 87-cap career with Wales saw off the challenge of numerous rivals.

"Dan has had an outstanding season and he is still a young kid. He has matured a great deal and it was unfortunate he was injured in the autumn because he was playing well. It is going to be a great battle between them for the shirt and I think that whoever fronts up and trains well will get the nod."

Jenkins believes Ireland's Jonathan Sexton is the favourite to play at fly-half in this summer's first Lions Test against Australia, ahead of Owen Farrell and Toby Flood.

"Sexton is an outstanding rugby player," said Jenkins, a Lion in 1997 and 2001. "He dictates a game in a balanced way and clicks well with his centres. He is very good in defence and attack and he is an outstanding kicker. There is still a while to go before the Lions tour and you have to look at the way Farrell played for England against New Zealand and I am a big admirer of Flood, while our two outside-halves will put their hands up."

Wales's second match is in Paris against France, whose coach, Philippe Saint-André, said he was against the idea of introducing bonus points into the Six Nations, something that is being considered by the countries involved, with a consultative paper being drawn up. "I like the system as it is important for World Cups and club competitions," he said. "However, maybe I'm old school but I wouldn't feel at ease if a team won the grand slam and don't win the Six Nations because another team gets more points on account of bonus points. I would feel cheated if that were to happen because it goes against the spirit of the competition."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:56 am

I think Hook would be the bigger gamble and he himself has given his fair share of intercept passes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:00 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:The point is that Roberts at 12 curtails our ability to play an expansive game

I disagree. We haven't seen much passing / offloading from Roberts in a Wales jersey because Gatland wants him to take the ball up and nothing more. He does have decent hands - he's not the best footballing 12 in the world, but not the worst, either. Coaching conservatism is what actually 'curtails our ability to play an expansive game'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:06 am

Roberts is good at what he does and we have needed him in that role in his time but they need to learn to utilise him better, very rarely do we see him being used as a dummy runner
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:09 am

The other problem is that when he does take the ball up, the players in support are there to clear out when he goes to ground, rather than looking for an offload. We look to go to ground rather than keep it alive. We're obsessed with 'phases'.

A change in philosophy and a mobile, footballing back row and we'd be dangerous.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:The point is that Roberts at 12 curtails our ability to play an expansive game

I disagree. We haven't seen much passing / offloading from Roberts in a Wales jersey because Gatland wants him to take the ball up and nothing more. He does have decent hands - he's not the best footballing 12 in the world, but not the worst, either. Coaching conservatism is what actually 'curtails our ability to play an expansive game'.

Spot on. An expansive game hasn't been a tactic since 2008. Nothing to do with Roberts.

When he's played for the Lions (and the Barbarians) he's shown plenty of ability to unleash the outside backs - and the argument that it's only when he plays with the likes of BOD or Fourie doesn't stack up. Roberts is the one who has to break the tackle and deliver the pass. Besides, JD2 is a top notch running 13 now.

But all we do with Roberts is send him smashing into contact.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:12 am

Didnt think Roberts really utilised the outside backs for the Baabaa's or the lions to be honest. His game is far more direct.

I agree I would much prefer to see a Henson type of inside centre, a footballing player who also has strength, but the only lads I can think of who could fill that roll are not in the squad.

And now both vying for the same position at the same club...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:15 am

Roberts's main strength is his direct running, no question, but he can offload.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:18 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Roberts's main strength is his direct running, no question, but he can offload.

He can but you could never say he has the ball skills with foot or hand or the vision of players we have previously had as an inside centre in the past, and this I agree it is a firm reason as to what game plan Wales can play out wide.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:18 am

Its not an expansive game we need but a game where there is a clear pattern with Wales controlling the ball as in the RWC and 6 Nations last year. We have become a cross between headless chickens and rabbits in headlights since Gatland has gone. We need composure in what we do as at the moment we have 15 individuals each trying something different and we are not working as collective units and have poor ball retention. We need to go through phases and control the ball before unleashing our backs - we need to support the ball carrier with sufficent numbers, we need to recycle quickly. None of this has been happening in the AI's as we have been fragmented and playing with little to no confidence and game plan. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

maestegmafia wrote:Didnt think Roberts really utilised the outside backs for the Baabaa's or the lions to be honest. His game is far more direct.

I agree I would much prefer to see a Henson type of inside centre, a footballing player who also has strength, but the only lads I can think of who could fill that roll are not in the squad.

And now both vying for the same position at the same club...!

Haven't the time to go through youtube for clips, as I'm a very busy man. Roberts was Lions man of the series against SA, so must have played quite well, and has always been rock solid for Wales. Even at his, brief, best Henson would never have even been first choice 12 for the Lions and his body wouldn't have lasted 20 mins taking the kind of hits that Roberts takes game after game for Wales.

Roberts gets unfair criticism, imho. Does everything that's asked of him, which is basically to take punishment for the team.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:53 am

Its all about playing to our strengths - Roberts can suck 2 or 3 defenders in and then we need to recycle fast ball etc etc. and look for the overlap and gaps created - His hands are not great but he has great attributes that we need thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:54 am

But Ruby, if we had someone on his shoulder, he could offload and we wouldn't need to recycle.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:59 am

RubyGuby wrote:Its all about playing to our strengths - Roberts can suck 2 or 3 defenders in and then we need to recycle fast ball etc etc. and look for the overlap and gaps created - His hands are not great but he has great attributes that we need thumbsup

Precisely. Only in Wales would we find a Lions Man of the Series inside centre, who always gets over the gainline and is rock solid in defence (unfortunate AI miss on PhotoLouis aside) - and then moan that he isn't a 'playmaker with vision and soft hands' or some such nonsense.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:00 am

Sorry Lucky, that's just blown the minds of any coaches reading...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:07 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But Ruby, if we had someone on his shoulder, he could offload and we wouldn't need to recycle.

MM may not recall it, but that's exactly what BOD did for the Lions (and Fourie in the one-off BaaBaas game).

From the snippets of info that make their way into the media (e.g. Priestland saying that he wasn't allowed to pass in his own half, even with a 3 man overlap) I reckon JD2 is going to Howley with this idea, as it isn't exactly rugby science, to no avail. 'Just stay out wide and wait for your one pass a game...'

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

It's those 'phases' again. We seem to think we're obliged to go through half a dozen phases before can play some football.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:12 am

Rugby fascism...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:13 am

Also, our phase play draws in three opposition defenders max to each ruck, so that when we do go wide, there's no space for anyone.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

Casartelli wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But Ruby, if we had someone on his shoulder, he could offload and we wouldn't need to recycle.

MM may not recall it, but that's exactly what BOD did for the Lions (and Fourie in the one-off BaaBaas game).

From the snippets of info that make their way into the media (e.g. Priestland saying that he wasn't allowed to pass in his own half, even with a 3 man overlap) I reckon JD2 is going to Howley with this idea, as it isn't exactly rugby science, to no avail. 'Just stay out wide and wait for your one pass a game...'

Hey.

I never said he didn't have values. I just said that he has little ball skills. Which you all agree on.

Your example above is case in point, you describe Roberts consuming defenders and BOD or Fourie distributing from his crash ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Also, our phase play draws in three opposition defenders max to each ruck, so that when we do go wide, there's no space for anyone.

and we committ three or four men to secure the ball, meaning that when we do go wide there isnt enough support...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm

Glas a du wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Also, our phase play draws in three opposition defenders max to each ruck, so that when we do go wide, there's no space for anyone.

and we committ three or four men to secure the ball, meaning that when we do go wide there isnt enough support...

Catch 22

If you don't you get turned over.

Intelligent forward play is the key.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

"We're doumed, doooumed I say!"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

Glas a du wrote:"We're doumed, doooumed I say!"

We were doing it right at the RWC and at last years six nations, much of the Aussie tour as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm

Yes. Do you see the connection between us doing it and not doing it?

Consonant
H

Vowel
O

Consonant
w

Consonant
L

Vowel
E

Consonant
R

Consonant
Y

Vowel
O

Cononant
B

HOWLERYOB

chin

Headscratch

aha! idea

a YOBHOWLER - a particularly poor rugby coach.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Glas a du wrote:"We're doumed, doooumed I say!"

We were doing it right at the RWC and at last years six nations, much of the Aussie tour as well.

When we have our first choice pack out we get away with it. Lydiate is pretty limited but he makes a massive difference because he chops big carriers down way behind the gain line. And we have nobody else who can do that.

Also, the game moves on and the tactic has been worked out. As opposing players pointed out in the AIs - they knew exactly what to expect.

If we try and get into a war of attrition with France and England this season, we'll get annihilated.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm

Cas,

Our tournamnet could be well and truly over those games if we don't get off to a good start next week
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

As people have pointed out, if we used the skills of the players available and employed some intelligent tactics, we could do really well in the 6N.

But there's nothing to suggest Gatland (via Howley) will do this. It will be pick & drive, kick & chase all over again.

Could be painful viewing.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

I don't even thing Howley has the ability to carry out Gatlands plan let alone the ability, minerals or know how to change anything.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:53 pm

Casartelli wrote:As people have pointed out, if we used the skills of the players available and employed some intelligent tactics, we could do really well in the 6N.

But there's nothing to suggest Gatland (via Howley) will do this. It will be pick & drive, kick & chase all over again.

Could be painful viewing.

Or we could do well. The tactics may be utterly predictable, but if we play at a high intensity we have been and can be competitive.

I just think we could be doing so much more with the players we have.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next