The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page

+20
Carrotdude
Biltong
Fists of Fury
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
msp83
JDizzle
Mike Selig
rwalton9
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
VTR
liverbnz
gboycottnut
Gerry SA
ShankyCricket
Duty281
chrisss
Shelsey93
Stella
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page - Page 4 Empty New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

While we'll likely have individual match threads, I figured I'd set this up for general pre-series stuff.

Tour fixtures:
Spoiler:

An NZ XI squad has been named for the tour opener T20s:
Andrew Ellis (capt), Anton Devcich, Colin Munro, Hamish Rutherford, Ian Butler, Jimmy Neesham, Luke Ronchi, Matthew Henry, Michael Bates, Neil Broom, Neil Wagner, Nick Beard, Ross Taylor, Tom Latham

NZ T20 squad:
Brendon McCullum (capt),
Trent Boult,
Ian Butler,
Grant Elliott,
Andrew Ellis,
James Franklin,
Martin Guptill,
Roneel Hira,
Mitchell McClenaghan,
Nathan McCullum,
Colin Munro,
Hamish Rutherford,
Ross Taylor

NZ One-day squad:
Brendon McCullum (capt),
Trent Boult,
Grant Elliott,
Andrew Ellis,
James Franklin,
Martin Guptill,
Mitchell McClenaghan,
Nathan McCullum,
Kyle Mills,
Colin Munro,
Ross Taylor,
BJ Watling,
Kane Williamson

England T20 Squad
Stuart Broad (captain),
Jonny Bairstow,
Danny Briggs,
Jos Buttler,
Jade Dernbach,
Steven Finn,
Alex Hales,
Michael Lumb,
Stuart Meaker,
Eoin Morgan,
Samit Patel,
James Tredwell,
Chris Woakes,
Luke Wright.

England ODI Squad
Alastair Cook (captain),
James Anderson,
Jonny Bairstow,
Ian Bell,
Stuart Broad,
Jos Buttler,
Steven Finn,
James Harris,
Eoin Morgan,
Samit Patel,
Joe Root,
Graeme Swann,
James Tredwell,
Jonathan Trott,
Chris Woakes.

England Test Squad
Alastair Cook (capt),
Nick Compton,
Jonathan Trott,
Kevin Pietersen,
Ian Bell,
Joe Root,
Jonny Bairstow,
Matt Prior,
Chris Woakes,
Stuart Broad,
Graeme Swann,
Steven Finn,
James Anderson,
Monty Panesar,
Graham Onions

Last edited by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:29 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added Eng test Squad)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page - Page 4 Empty Re: New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page

Post by Guest Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:01 pm

Wagner is slow....80mph at the most..

nz's attack will be:

Patel or Vettori
Boult
Southee
Bracewell

Back to top Go down

New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page - Page 4 Empty Re: New Zealand vs England 2013 - Series Page

Post by gboycottnut Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm

CF wrote:Wagner is slow....80mph at the most..

nz's attack will be:

Patel or Vettori
Boult
Southee
Bracewell

Wagner is not slow at all. He is at least 85-87 mph. I think the problem people have of him at the moment is that because he bowled V South Africa on a slowish, flat surface at Port Elizabeth where it didn't offer much assistance to the NZ bowlers, people think that Wagner doesn't have the ability to trouble batsmen with pure pace and hostility. Anyway if NZ want to go with an all pace bowling attack due to a lack of any decent spin bowling option, an attack that consists of Southee, Bolt, McClenaghan/Wagner and Milne would be one which looks very decent and dangerous on paper and could cause England's batsmen plenty of problems.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

Judging by Onions' atrocious figures in this warm-up game - 1/131 from 22 overs - Broad will make the side for the first test. Nice bit of healthy intensity required for the final day for England, 10 wickets needed to claim victory.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

Reight Broads competition is from Woakes not Onions who was sh1te in the warm ups in India too. He will need a good start to the county season to even get in the summer squad mix the way things have gone for him.

Woakes has hardly set the world on fire either but at least in theory can bat and wouldnt weaken the tail if he replaced Broad. But really the senior guy isnt getting enough of a challenge from either to lose his place currently

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Broad's actual performance on the field during the test match would count a lot either against him or for him. I feel he'll certainly play the first test, the rest is up to Broad himself to a great extend. He looked short of form, fitness and confidence in India. Now since the fitness worries are away, hopefully he'll be at his best. Perhaps not playing a lot is hampering Onions. But I strongly believe he has to be pretty much in the plans for England.
Woakes could be a good option in NZ conditions, but I have my doubts as to whether he has it in him to take over from someone like Broad in flatter conditions.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:18 am

Flip me, England lost by 3 wickets!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

yeah pretty poor stuff. Their first warm up defeat in years.

bad omen for the series? certainly the bowling getting ripped apart on the final day bodes badly.

of course it was a case of thinking they had enough runs, not pushing on as you would on a proper 5 day game though they only had one wicket but could have soaked up time, in order to force a result and it backfired. NZ clearly have strong batting available.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

how the Frak did we lose that.....Graham Onions 1-212 match figures Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

I'm more worried that Trott, Compton and KP failed to get any meaningful time at the crease than the fact we lost. Although it's disappointing we have Anderson and Finn to come back in which makes us a much better bowling unit. Definitely shouldn't underestimate the NZ side though.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

Arent England usually sh1te in warm ups? Dont they usually win tests?

Onions though ...really doing his best to ensure he wont play in internationals.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

I'd have Meaker ahead of him (and Woakes for that matter) in the red ball stuff

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:50 am

Results in what are effectively practice matches don't matter a lot. But one hopes that neither Anderson nor Finn should suffer an injury , as the backup bowling appears a bit limited...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

Apparently Broads heel is unlikely to ever fully recover too. If that continues to affect his performances and limit the number of games he can play that does suddenly leave Englands stable looking a touch bare for the medium term beyond just this series.
Bresnan has to prove his elbow is fixed and start taking wickets again. Tremlett may never get back to the player he was. Onions is badly out of form, but that at least is likely to be a temporary issue. Meaker, Harris and Woakes still have to prove they are able to make the step up.
Its only really Anderson and Finn who we can be truly confident in at the moment.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

You are right , PSW ...

Funny how an apparent production line of prospects can thin out so quickly Smile

I have some hopes Tremlett may yet make it back for the tour of Australia if not the home summer...probably where he will be most needed ! And perhaps Bresnan can return to fitness ?
If not England may be only a couple of injuries away from having to throw a complete novice in at the deep end , which would not have been expected just twelve months ago...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

suddenly aussie look to have more bowling depth ahead of the Ashes and Eng look to be struggling to find players to replace their stars. worrying times.
is Broad done then?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

No hes just going to have pain whenever he bowls. Whether that hampers him long term or if he can cope with it is yet to be seen. Im guessing they will need to further limit his workload across 3 formats to minimise further damage and aggravation.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

oh right. not good. Hopefully Onions can get right again and some of the youngster can come good ahead of the Ashes.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

At least we have players on the conveyor belt. Its always hard to know who will step up (very few people had faith is Bresnan, and pre injury he was very strong for england) but the rotation system (and injuries) does mean that guys like Woakes, Harris and Meaker are already being bought through and getting the coaching and support that will hopefully see them flourish. Much better than in days gone by when England scratched around the county scene week by week to find any player who'd taken a few wickets in the last year.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Main group of fast bowlers: Anderson,Finn,Broad,Onions

Back up- Tremlett,Woakes,Meaker,Harris,Bresnan

Pool of possiblites for future: Shahzad,Topley,Mills,Barker,

Gives you an idea of the pool of fast bowlers we have

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

The current Lions guys are Wright, Topley, Roland Jones and Coles...but none of them have been given a sniff of senior cricket yet...they are a long way off test caps short of an injury crisis

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:16 am

Sky Sports Cricket ‏@SkyCricket
It appears Doug Bracewell is out the test after cutting his foot at home on Saturday. NZ media not impressed

Nice one Dougie...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:37 am

More than that ...apparently there was a party that got somewhat out of hand at his house. He claims the injury happened whilst he was cleaning up in the morning.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:00 am

Here's a decent stat. Aside from winning the first Test of the series in Bangladesh 2011 , England have never won an opening Test Match in an away series since against South Africa in 2004!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Talk now is he might get suspended even if hes passed fit.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 07 Mar 2013, 3:56 am

Vettori and Patel had a bit of a night out in Queenstown. Patel slipped over at the door and banged his head. Both have apologised though.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/623821.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4