The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland 6N 33 man squad

+46
tecphobe
Submachine
1F'sgonnagetya!
nobbled
neilthom7
Artful_Dodger
toml
profitius
Glas a du
Hookisms and Hyperbole
asoreleftshoulder
pete (buachaill on eirne)
thebandwagonsociety
red_stag
Don Alfonso
MMC
ME-109
dublin_dave
theslosty
Golden
RubyGuby
bluestonevedder
Kingshu
rodders
maestegmafia
George Carlin
Mcgavin Sean
Sin é
The Great Aukster
WillyGilly
LeinsterFan4life
Maddog
valjester
Jenifer McLadyboy
Nipps
UlstermaninGlasgow
Morgannwg
Standulstermen
Rory_Gallagher
Thomond
Notch
Feckless Rogue
welshy6
RugbyFan182
majesticimperialman
clivemcl
50 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ireland 6N 33 man squad - Page 2 Empty Ireland 6N 33 man squad

Post by clivemcl Sun 27 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Michael Bent
Rory Best
Tom Court
Sean Cronin
Gordon D'Arcy
Keith Earls
Luke Fitzgerald
Declan Fitzpatrick
Craig Gilroy
Cian Healy
Jamie Heaslip
Iain Henderson
Chris Henry
Paddy Jackson
Rob Kearney
David Kilcoyne
Conor Murray
Mike McCarthy
Kevin McLaughlin
Fergus McFadden
Dave McSharry
Sean O'Brien
Donncha O'Callaghan
Brian O'Driscoll
Ronan O'Gara
Peter O'Mahony
Eoin Reddan
Mike Ross
Donnacha Ryan
Jonathan Sexton
Mike Sherry
Devin Toner
Simon Zebo

Notable inclusions - Jackson and McSharry

Notable Ommissions - Trimble and Marshall

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Ireland 6N 33 man squad - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland 6N 33 man squad

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 8:05 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I thought BOD was staying on for one more year at least?
No at least about it. One more year or nothing. He's due his first baby in a few weeks. That can alter your perspective on life with regard to your health. Believe me.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

valjester wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Laugh It's not a state secret. And if it was why would you say that you knew it was wrong.

I said it wasn't entirely accurate. That is just a simple statement, I could get the full list, but it would involve a slight amount of effort which I'm not really interested in doing this morning. I'll have a look this evening, and post it up at some stage. As far as I can remember the number of players, and the type of contracts, have been heavily reduced since 2009.

Yeah. It was over 30 at one stage. You must be in Aus or somewhere if it's morning. Sorry I didn't mean to get at you. I realise you may want to check your facts to be sure before posting.

I personally can't pick holes in the list off the top of my head. But guys like Murray I'm not sure about.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun 27 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:I thought BOD was staying on for one more year at least?
No at least about it. One more year or nothing. He's due his first baby in a few weeks. That can alter your perspective on life with regard to your health. Believe me.

No worries, I'm in San Francisco nowadays, next week is going to be awful, this time last year I was getting ready to work covering the tournament, this year I'm struggling to find somewhere to watch it.

On the central contracts, they realised they were spending way too much, and they didn't take injuries, or loss of form, into account.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:09 pm

Jen - If you are referring to me about O'Brien moving to 8 over Heaslip, I was suggesting that O'Mahony moves there, not O'Brien. I think that is POM's best position, and I think SOB is best at 6. Leaving the 7 spot for Henry.

However obviously Heaslip will start. Val, he has a great work rate yes, but is he as effective as O'Mahony or Henry? It will likely be one of those two on the bench.

Also do people expect to see Earls get a lot of game time in the centre this 6 nations?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Jen - If you are referring to me about O'Brien moving to 8 over Heaslip, I was suggesting that O'Mahony moves there, not O'Brien. I think that is POM's best position, and I think SOB is best at 6. Leaving the 7 spot for Henry.

However obviously Heaslip will start. Val, he has a great work rate yes, but is he as effective as O'Mahony or Henry? It will likely be one of those two on the bench.

Also do people expect to see Earls get a lot of game time in the centre this 6 nations?

Photographs of the training last week had Earls at 14, and if rumours are to be believed Munster are after a 13 again this season so it might be moving back there full time.

POM's best performances for Munster have been on the flanks this season. I though Heaslip was very effective in the HEC. I agree that the others have been excellent as well, but Heaslip is the only one playing consistently at 8.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

If Earls starts at 14 I think I will go insane. Not as much as Trimble though..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:If Earls starts at 14 I think I will go insane. Not as much as Trimble though..

I won't really. I can understand the reasoning for having him in the team. I'd prefer for him to be in the centre with Bod, or on the bench, but I can understand why he will play on the wing. He will score tries. I am really unhappy that Trimble isn't involved, especially with Bowe out, but its not exactly unexpected.

The big decision for me is in the backrow. I really will not be able to understand it if Henry is not involved. He made the most tackles, and third most turnovers, in the HEC pool stages. He has to be at 7.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Jen - If you are referring to me about O'Brien moving to 8 over Heaslip, I was suggesting that O'Mahony moves there, not O'Brien. I think that is POM's best position, and I think SOB is best at 6. Leaving the 7 spot for Henry.

The fact that you are even asking that baffles me in the extreme. I honestly don't know where to start. Both very good players, neither even playing 8. Heaslip a test Lion in the position.

I genuinely can't get my head around how anyone could even ask that question never mind have an opinion that would suggest either of them should start ahead of him.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

ROG is a test Lion in the 10 position. What is your point?

I think you will defend Heaslip no matter how he is playing, the same way that Sin will blindly defend ROG. I've seen you do it a few times on here. You really think he is playing well enough to warrant his place above all other options and receive the captaincy? He deserves to be nailed on as a starter? A lot of other Leinster fans don't even agree with you here, based on the comments I have read recently.

Also, O'Mahony plays 8 frequently actually, and like I said I believe that is where he will end up in the future. O'Brien, O'Mahony and Henry can play all 3 positions in the back row to a high standard. Heaslip is an 8 full stop, and sure isn't that why Cave isn't in the squad? Since there are currently better options who play there (like Earls, a utility back). I think the best performers in the back row this season are Henry, O'Brien and O'Mahony. Two have played 8 this season. I would liked to have seen all 3 start.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

Trimble being left out borders a level of complete bullsh!t unseen or heard of in irish rugby before.

In my opinion.

WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:01 pm

Jackson shouldn't be in the squad but is obviously seen as third in line - Sexton's news has probably prompted his inclusion.

In some ways I'm pleased that Trimble has been scrapped by Kidney. He doesn't fit in with the (lack of) gameplan and will never be that effective as a "winger only" type player. Now that he's out of the Test plans I'm hoping Anscombe won't feel under pressure to play him solely on the wing. He has a roving role at the moment with Ulster but when Bowe comes back I'd like to see him revert to 13 where he has superior skills to Cave.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:ROG is a test Lion in the 10 position. What is your point?

I think you will defend Heaslip no matter how he is playing, the same way that Sin will blindly defend ROG. I've seen you do it a few times on here. You really think he is playing well enough to warrant his place above all other options and receive the captaincy? He deserves to be nailed on as a starter? A lot of other Leinster fans don't even agree with you here, based on the comments I have read recently.

Also, O'Mahony plays 8 frequently actually, and like I said I believe that is where he will end up in the future. O'Brien, O'Mahony and Henry can play all 3 positions in the back row to a high standard. Heaslip is an 8 full stop, and sure isn't that why Cave isn't in the squad? Since there are currently better options who play there (like Earls, a utility back). I think the best performers in the back row this season are Henry, O'Brien and O'Mahony. Two have played 8 this season. I would liked to have seen all 3 start.
Rog ain't gonna be a test lion again though.
If Heaslip is in June will you then accept my opinion? Or will you insist that the Lions selectors are wrong too?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

Accept your opinion about what? Do you think he is the best 8 in europe? I may not agree with every selection the Lions selectors make. I doubt anyone will. It won't mean they are wrong. If I was basing it on last 6 nations though, I would say Heaslip was one of the least effective 8s in the competition. This year he will have the same competition as last year too.

Faletau, Denton/Beattie, Morgan/Waldrom, Picamoles and Parisse will likely be the starting 8s for their countries. A lot of these guys performed better than Heaslip last year. We will see how he handles it this year.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm

WillyGilly wrote:Trimble being left out borders a level of complete bullsh!t unseen or heard of in irish rugby before.

In my opinion.

I think this whole Trimble thing is getting pretty laughable at this stage. I would understand if he actually performed well for Ireland. But jezz lads come on, can we get over it now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

I'm delighted we have Trimble available for Ulster, and it's going to be a highly motivated Trimble too after being wrongly dropped. If Court is anything to go by, and AT should definitely be looking to follow his example, his being hung out to dry as a sacrificial lamb will precipitate the best rugby of his career right when we need it the most.

Most likely outcome is he'll continue the outstanding form he's shown for Ulster and he will earn a recall under a new coach in the summer. His face doesn't fit in this regime. The way he plays isn't suited to the way he's being asked to play. Of course, the way our backline plays needs to change in a big way. But bottom line is Trimble is likely to be around longer than the coaching staff that dropped him so any talk of the end of his Ireland career is highly premature.

Why I'm so disappointed is anyone watching Ulster this season can see that he is a Lions contender and unfortunately this most likely torpedoes his Lions chances. I find the claims that he's not an international class wing to be ridiculous, what is clear is that his face doesn't fit in the Ireland camp not because of selection politics, but because the kind of winger demanded by our (admittedly thin and basic) gameplan and the kind of winger he is are worlds apart.

Watching the Wolfhounds game was instructive- he tried to do all the things he does so well for Ulster, but the rest of the team was just on a different wavelength. He tried very hard but he didn't do well. He comes out to make the interception a few times, but at one point he's exposed because the defensive line is a bunch of individuals doing different things whereas at Ulster it's part of a well constructed defensive strategy in which other players cover the space left. He chases hard after kicks but the kicks are drilled deep down the pitch instead of high hanging kicks for the wingers to compete for. We seldom go through more than a few phases and the forwards are clustered around the ruck so no chance to get his hands on the ball and bust through tackles. Just a gameplan where he can't bring the parts of the game he excels at to bear.

We talk about how provincial success should translate into international success, but since 2009 we haven't ever actually managed to come up with a gameplan that gets the best out of the majority of our players. Trimble is just the latest example of a guy who the Ireland coaching staff can't seem to work out how to use properly. Onus is on players to be able to adapt when they come up to test level but there's a limit- asking players to do the opposite of the things they are actually good at and then scratching our heads as to why they aren't performing is one of the things that makes the Ireland National team hard to take seriously.

Who can forget Paddy Wallace the crash ball centre? Or Ronan O'Gara the distributing, running 10? Or Luke Fitzgerald the fullback? Or Tom Court the tighthead? Indeed it's a rich tradition that goes back all the way to Shane Horgan wearing 12. There has just got to be better coaching options available. We don't have many players, we can't afford to not get the best out of them.

Last edited by Notch on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:15 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:If Earls starts at 14 I think I will go insane. Not as much as Trimble though..

If Earls starts, it won't be on the right wing. He will be kept beside BOD (only winger to have played with him before from this new crop). D'Arcy (or possibly BOD) will be substituted and Earls will just move in one position.

The 14 jersey for the first match will be between Zebo, Gilroy & Fitz.

PS - the choice was between Fitz & Trimble. Fitz deserved to be kept on his performance on Friday night. Trimble was always going to find it difficult to get into the Ireland backline now.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:40 pm

Notch wrote:I'm delighted we have Trimble available for Ulster, and it's going to be a highly motivated Trimble too after being wrongly dropped. If Court is anything to go by, and AT should definitely be looking to follow his example, his being hung out to dry as a sacrificial lamb will precipitate the best rugby of his career right when we need it the most.

Most likely outcome is he'll continue the outstanding form he's shown for Ulster and he will earn a recall under a new coach in the summer. His face doesn't fit in this regime. The way he plays isn't suited to the way he's being asked to play. Of course, the way our backline plays needs to change in a big way. But bottom line is Trimble is likely to be around longer than the coaching staff that dropped him so any talk of the end of his Ireland career is highly premature.

Why I'm so disappointed is anyone watching Ulster this season can see that he is a Lions contender and unfortunately this most likely torpedoes his Lions chances. I find the claims that he's not an international class wing to be ridiculous, what is clear is that his face doesn't fit in the Ireland camp not because of selection politics, but because the kind of winger demanded by our (admittedly thin and basic) gameplan and the kind of winger he is are worlds apart.

Watching the Wolfhounds game was instructive- he tried to do all the things he does so well for Ulster, but the rest of the team was just on a different wavelength. He tried very hard but he didn't do well. He comes out to make the interception a few times, but at one point he's exposed because the defensive line is a bunch of individuals doing different things whereas at Ulster it's part of a well constructed defensive strategy in which other players cover the space left. He chases hard after kicks but the kicks are drilled deep down the pitch instead of high hanging kicks for the wingers to compete for. We seldom go through more than a few phases and the forwards are clustered around the ruck so no chance to get his hands on the ball and bust through tackles. Just a gameplan where he can't bring the parts of the game he excels at to bear.

We talk about how provincial success should translate into international success, but since 2009 we haven't ever actually managed to come up with a gameplan that gets the best out of the majority of our players. Trimble is just the latest example of a guy who the Ireland coaching staff can't seem to work out how to use properly. Onus is on players to be able to adapt when they come up to test level but there's a limit- asking players to do the opposite of the things they are actually good at and then scratching our heads as to why they aren't performing is one of the things that makes the Ireland National team hard to take seriously.

Who can forget Paddy Wallace the crash ball centre? Or Ronan O'Gara the distributing, running 10? Or Luke Fitzgerald the fullback? Or Tom Court the tighthead? Indeed it's a rich tradition that goes back all the way to Shane Horgan wearing 12. There has just got to be better coaching options available. We don't have many players, we can't afford to not get the best out of them.

The only way that Trimble would be a Lions contender would be if he got a job at Dublin Zoo...good for Ulster very very ordinary for Ireland in in almost fifty starts.
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:09 am

Keith Earls wasn't close to the Irish set up 4 years ago..
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:10 am

Ultimately Gatland will pick a squad and a team to play the way he wants. International caps and a good 6n will obviously go the majority of the way to attain a spot but there's bound to wildcard or two.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:31 am

Gatland does like big physical backs but I dont expect Trimble to be selected. Injury will still dictate a lot mind you.

Notch is right we will have to see what a new coach brings to Ireland and if he sees things differently from Deccie. The summer tour will be interesting

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:42 am

WillyGilly wrote:Ultimately Gatland will pick a squad and a team to play the way he wants. International caps and a good 6n will obviously go the majority of the way to attain a spot but there's bound to wildcard or two.

Thing is Howley is picking the Welsh side and he calls the shots now.Its a shootout between two half wits and the loser be it himself or Kidders will be vilified. From an Irish point of view if our head honcho fails this test then surely even his most steadfast of supporters will turn their backs on him.
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:48 am

Mcgavin Sean wrote:
WillyGilly wrote:Ultimately Gatland will pick a squad and a team to play the way he wants. International caps and a good 6n will obviously go the majority of the way to attain a spot but there's bound to wildcard or two.

Thing is Howley is picking the Welsh side and he calls the shots now.Its a shootout between two half wits and the loser be it himself or Kidders will be vilified. From an Irish point of view if our head honcho fails this test then surely even his most steadfast of supporters will turn their backs on him.

The poster was refering to the B+I Lions,my apologies. But the Howley/Kidney side show still stands next Saturday,whoever is in the losing corner will be a goner.
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:01 am

I see on the UAFC that there is a rumour one of the ulster contingent was asked to be part of the squad (essentially holding tackle bags) and said no. I wonder if there is any truth to that and if so who it was. Similar rumour went out about Muldoon in the autumn but he then started against Fiji

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:31 am

As a buck toothed, uneducated neutral, I would be really surprised if there is a more intuitive loose forward package than 6. SOB, 8. Heaslip, 7. POM. Everyone plays to their greatest strengths that way.

You know that Heaslip will start because he's captain so there's no way, barring injury, that this is where POM will start.

I think that Ireland are this year's dark horses. The form front row of the tournament, the best 10 and the best back row amongst the home nations. The only way you won't be competitive is if the coach continues to dither about the midfield.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

I would go with Henry at seven rather than POM. I agree with the above poster that his best position is 8 not 7. Heaslip is currently the better eight but having POM on the bench creates a versatile cover for the backrow.

I am amazed to hear that Earls will be forced to defend vs big outside backs as a winger.

A fantastic player in attack and defence but he has limitations no one can ignore in his stature and has looked uncomfortable defending against big direct players before. Luckily for Earls and Ireland the welsh lads are big but not overtly bright, certainly not unorthodox in creating opportunities.

Cracking game though, was a great one to start with last year and im sure it will be again.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

#justice4Trimble

Not a bad squad. Don't agree with those who don't agree with Jackson inclusion.

The IRFU's plan was to start building for the RWC this season and not to prioritise the 6N..... which is probably a good thing because when Kidders prioritised the 6N we were rubbish anyways so maybe we might do better now.

I fear our tight 5 may get mushed over the course of the championship though. O'Connell and Ferris are big losses in that regard and a few guys need to step up their intensity several notches.

Marshall is unlucky, McSharry was the best player on the pitch last week.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:49 am

I'm gutted Trimble has been dropped from the squad.

Zebo and Trimble have been Irelands form wingers.

Trimble was playing well for Ireland in the warm up games before the world cup, (one of the best players in those games, yet Earls got drafted in for the world cup games) before people say he hasn't performed for Ireland, that was one of the few runs of games he has got. For Trimble to do well for Ireland, what he needs is a run of games, where he knows he has a chance of the shirt, not the ususal he will be dropped as soon as Earls is fit.

For me against Wales, a hard hitting direct running Trimble would have nullified the Welsh wing (who's going to be a big direct runner), with Zebo on one wing and Trimble on the other, you have one of each type of winger on the pitch, contrast of styles to keep the Welsh guessing, even have them swap wing during the game, so the defensive is kept guessing, if it will be someone direct and physical or fast and elusive coming at them?

But no DK does what he always does and drops Trimble, and brings in Earls (don't know if Earls will start but given that it's DK its near a sure thing), its not Provinicial biasis either, as I think Madigan should be in ahead of Paddy Jackson. The thing is we knew DK wouldn't start Trimble, but to be dropped from the squad is very harsh,( and the bit I find hardest to work out) over the last few months he has played himself into the squad at least, and in my opionion the starting XV, what more does he have to do to make the squad???

Remember people are talking about Gilroy as a possible Lion, but Trimble was keeping him out of the Ulster team before Bowe's injury.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

Who are likely to be the starting wingers for Ireland without Trimble?

Zebo and Gilroy?

I thought Fitzgerald looked decent during the Saxons Wolfhounds game, and good to see him discovering some form again after his layoff. Is he a contender for the wing spot?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

I think Deccie will go with

15 - Kearney
14 - Fitzgerald
13 - BOD
12 - Darcy
11 - Zebo
10 - Le Monsieur Sexton
9 - Murray

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

Zebo for sure. It looks like the other spot is between Gilroy and McFadden.

Agree with Sin that Earls will likely start in midfield.

Great to see Fitzgerald back and looking sharp but don't think he'll make the 22.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:21 am

I think DK will have Zebo and Earls on the wings, with Fitz on bench, meaning Earls could be moved tocenter for Fitz to come on.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:22 am

RubyGuby wrote:I think Deccie will go with

15 - Kearney
14 - Fitzgerald
13 - BOD
12 - Darcy
11 - Zebo
10 - Le Monsieur Sexton
9 - Murray

thumbsup

I'm betting he goes:

15. Kearney
14. Gilroy
13. O'Driscoll
12. Earls
11. Zebo
10. Sexton
9. Murray

21 Reddan, 22. Jackson/ROG, 23. D'arcy/McFadden
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:24 am

Come on Rodders, you know better than to bet against someone of my rugby stature and nous thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:27 am

RubyGuby wrote:Come on Rodders, you know better than to bet against someone of my rugby stature and nous thumbsup

Maybe once upon a time Ruby but I think you're wearing your Munster goggles these days ..... Whistle ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:28 am

DArcy has been the form centre this year (thats fit and in the squad) so I wouldnt drop him from the team. I think Earls either takes O'Driscolls place in the team or takes the 23 jersey, although I wouldnt bet against Kidney trying to shoe-horn him and O'Driscoll into the team

This is the team id go for.

15. Kearney
14. Gilroy
13. BOD
12. Darcy
11. Zebo
10. Sexton
9. Murray

23. Earls

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

Might Kidney throw a curve ball and drop O'Driscoll? I have a feeling that he might.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:34 am

Well he hasnt been playing well since his comeback so he might take the bench spot with a view to play him into some form?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

rodders wrote:Might Kidney throw a curve ball and drop O'Driscoll? I have a feeling that he might.

No, he won't. If he was thinking of dropping BOD, he would have played him in the Wolfhounds against the Saxons.

Reggie Corrigan would go into meltdown if BOD was dropped !

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:37 am

rodders wrote:Might Kidney throw a curve ball and drop O'Driscoll? I have a feeling that he might.

That's not a curve ball that's a whole Tsunami and he won't do it as it would unsettle Ireland - BOD remains the talisman, the player others look to and he is needed on the park. Us Munster men know a ting or two about these matters unlike that lightweight Dubliner Gibson who remains a tax exile in Amsterdam thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

I think this whole Trimble thing is getting pretty laughable at this stage. I would understand if he actually performed well for Ireland. But jezz lads come on, can we get over it now.

Aye your right, Ulster were lucky to get a HC QF considering Trimble was playing, and Luke Fitzgerald and McFadden were unfortunately let down by their team mates in their group...

Headscratch

Last edited by clivemcl on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

Purely from what I've seen, I think Zebo is guaranteed t a wing spot.I'm not sure if wing is Earls' best position is it? I've always thought he looked pretty centre dangerous lined up at centre.

Hopefully Fitzgerald will make the bench spot, covering wing and centre. Has he been playing much at centre for Leinster though, or is he now considered a wing?

Regarding the overall squad, it's good to see Ian Henderson in there. He's a lad with a big future, and I've been impressed with what I've seen of him.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

RubyGuby wrote:

That's not a curve ball that's a whole Tsunami and he won't do it as it would unsettle Ireland - BOD remains the talisman, the player others look to and he is needed on the park. Us Munster men know a ting or two about these matters unlike that lightweight Dubliner Gibson who remains a tax exile in Amsterdam thumbsup

Ruby - you really are adapting well to being a Munsterman - but its the Dubs who can't pronounce their 'ths' Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

Thhanks for the linguistic lesson Sin - Much appreiated. Been reading about my little village in Sneem just this morning - Lots of GAA etc thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

Too many Munster men on here these days ..... thumbsup .... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:33 pm

On form Trimble definitely deserves a spot - however...

He has never impressed much for Ireland in 49 caps - not sure about this idea about not fitting into Deccie's gameplan - he's no Jonah Lomu

His defence may be much improved but he still makes the odd crucial error - I recall France last year

Nobody can deny his kicking is atrocious

With younger options available - it's very unlikely he'll be playing in RWC 2015
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

squad as expected no real issues. i reckon team will be kearney,gilroy,drico,darcy,zebo,sexton,murray,heaslip,omahiony,sob,ryan,mccarthy,ross,best,healy - kilcoyne,bent,cronin,donners,henry,reddan,rog,earls

Rog will start on the bench. I do not have a huge problem with this. If Sexton gets injured and the game is balanced on a knife edge i do not fancy Madigan,Keatey or Jackson to kick a winning penalty under real pressure. Yes they are better all round players but don't fill me with confidence from the kicking tee at all

I do hope Kidney knocks the Rog/Sexton experiment on the head though

Over to you now Deccie, Ireland expects. Save POC and Ferris we are at full strength and have serious back up in the outside backs and back row. Injury riddled Welsh team first up, we really should be winning this and by god we owe them a beating. I will be gutted if Gatland out thinks Deccie yet again.

Would worry about our front 5 for the home games v England and France but think we may have enough quality to get the job done if we get a decent platform. A win in Cardiff would be great for the confidence

Grand Slam to go jubblies up in a comically wet Murrayfield in a heart breaking 3-0 defeat

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

You are not at full strength without POC and Ferris as Tommy Bowe is arguably your best back thumbsup

You have a good chance but where you get "we should be winning this" from is more than debateable

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

RubyGuby wrote:You are not at full strength without POC and Ferris as Tommy Bowe is arguably your best back thumbsup

You have a good chance but where you get "we should be winning this" from is more than debateable

I agree Ruby, we need the old Munster underdog spirit in this one thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

I'm split on this one now Rodders - Its a divided loyalty thing Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

Every player on the pitch makes crucial errors! D'Arcy hasn't impressed since 2007, Earls is a poor distributor and Luke Fizgerald can't score tries etc. etc.

It is fair enough that Kidney drops Trimble but he should have had the nads to tell him straight rather than go through the farce of a Wolfhounds game. That game should have been used to build more depth of experience in the young ranks.

Gilroy will do a job at 14 for Ireland and also for Kidney's PR, and I suspect Anscombe will be delighted which winger he's getting back - so nearly everyone's a winner.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next