The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

+77
Hood83
rodders
kingjohn7
Coleman
Poorfour
TJ1
LeinsterFan4life
sportform
Josiah Maiestas
Notch
Shifty
EnglishReign
Feckless Rogue
Hookisms and Hyperbole
profitius
Breadvan
asoreleftshoulder
bsando
HammerofThunor
Barney McGrew did it
mystiroakey
Cari
nathan
westisbest
Newsilure
t1000advancedprototype
RugbyFan182
gowershowerpower
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
Hound_of_Harrow
Taffineastbourne
XR
pete (buachaill on eirne)
sirBiggles
tatterd
SubsBench
Cyril
GavCanDance
Comfort
twoeightnine
Portnoy's Complaint
doctornickolas
lostinwales
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
manofgwent
glamorganalun
Morgannwg
gboycottnut
wales606
ChequeredJersey
LondonTiger
Casartelli
Knowsit17
Liam
Norfolklass
AlastairW
GunsGerms
nobbled
BlueNote
Glas a du
whocares
yappysnap
Taylorman
fa0019
Jimpy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
Biltong
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
mogg
Duty281
Ospreydragon
81 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 15 Empty France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by Ospreydragon Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

A very interesting opening weekend in the 6N. Good wins for Ireland and England, and a great one for Italy, who showed some nice touches and are devloping their play (unlike Wales).

Here's a typically hyperbolic journalist (or sub-editor's headline) in today's Express:

"Rob Howley Planning to Dump Failures"

http://www.sundayexpress.co.uk/posts/view/375256/Rob-Howley-planning-to-dump-failures

Nothing in the article to state who is going to be dumped, and no surprise there.

Will Howley have the cojones to drop some players? Jenkins, Shingler, and one of the centres? We'll see!

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 15 Empty Re: France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Ball didn't bounce???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 15 Empty Re: France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by kingjohn7 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well there you go. France bent over for us and after 70 minutes of ramming it into her thigh, we finally hit the jackpot by mistake.
Laugh Laugh Laugh

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Totally agree. It was a very impressive finish by North -- who is clearly a very skilled player.

Or you could say he was very lucky to in the right place at the right time.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:18 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Totally agree. It was a very impressive finish by North -- who is clearly a very skilled player.

The left winger being on the left wing? What a lucky bugger

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Or you could say he was very lucky to in the right place at the right time.[/quote]

The left winger being on the left wing?[/quote]

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 pm

"Or you could say he was very lucky to in the right place at the right time. "

You could say that BOD was "lucky" to make the pass, or that Zebo was lucky to catch it. North showed incredible finishing skill to score in that situation.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:36 pm

wales606 wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Have to agree with maj, we didn't look like scoring, but I disagree the chip was beautifull, it was more luck of the bounce than beauty!!

We won because France were poor, and both teams were trying too hard not to lose!!

The ball didn't bounce

I was brilliant skill and vision by both Biggar and North

The ball didn't bounce? Not sure what you call it in North Wales, or wherever you're from, but generally a ball that goes up in the air, descends due to the the force of gravity, and then returns into the air after rebounding off the surface (exact height of bounce is determined by the coefficient of restitution) is called a bounce!

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Lets not get carried away here. Our attack was terrible for 79 mins of the game. One flash of brilliance from Biggar the difference. The defence however - awesome. I still cannot understand what has happened to our set moves and general attacking play in the last year but we will have to find it again if we are to beat any other sides. Looking at the way England attacked last week they were on a different planet to us, and that's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Griff wrote:
wales606 wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Have to agree with maj, we didn't look like scoring, but I disagree the chip was beautifull, it was more luck of the bounce than beauty!!

We won because France were poor, and both teams were trying too hard not to lose!!

The ball didn't bounce

I was brilliant skill and vision by both Biggar and North

The ball didn't bounce? Not sure what you call it in North Wales, or wherever you're from, but generally a ball that goes up in the air, descends due to the the force of gravity, and then returns into the air after rebounding off the surface (exact height of bounce is determined by the coefficient of restitution) is called a bounce!

Accusing me of being from North Wales! How dare you boxing

I apologies for my mis-remembering, the point still stands, it was fantastic finishing by North and an excellent kick from Biggar.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 pm

"Looking at the way England attacked last week they were on a different planet to us, and that's a sentence I never thought I'd write." -- Confidence can make a HUGE difference to how a team plays. England took the confidence of heavily beating NZ into last week's game. Wales had lost 8 games in a row. For Wales, playing away to France, it was all about fronting up as ateam, very gutsy defence, reducing mistakes and not giving away easy points, and getting the win. The team deserves huge credit.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Ha! Sorry, was confusing you momentarily with someone with a similar name! Wine doesn't help!

But yes, bounce or no bounce it was well worked, well taken and well executed. If any part of it was not right then it would not have been scored. Yes, a bit of luck as the bounce of the funny shaped ball can not always be predicted, but the skill was also in the weighting of the kick, the timing of the run and the footwork during the touchdown, not to mention the contact to shrug off the tackle. Those saying it was luck must only be referring to the bounce. The rest was skill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I agree.Confidence is key.This win and AWJ's return will be a massive boost for the side.
The 6 N's is back on for Wales.Defeat today would have ended it.We have a way to go to match our performances last year but foundations are being laid.
When our back play can match our forward play we will be back.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Ospreydragon wrote:"Looking at the way England attacked last week they were on a different planet to us, and that's a sentence I never thought I'd write." -- Confidence can make a HUGE difference to how a team plays. England took the confidence of heavily beating NZ into last week's game. Wales had lost 8 games in a row. For Wales, playing away to France, it was all about fronting up as ateam, very gutsy defence, reducing mistakes and not giving away easy points, and getting the win. The team deserves huge credit.

"The team deserves huge credit". I completely agree Osprey. However, I don't think Wales CAN play as England did last week, at the moment. They have had that kind of inventive attack coached out of them it seems. Constantly changing the point of attack, forwards handling like backs, offloading in the tackle, I'm sorry but we aren't suddenly going to start doing all that in a fortnight. Gatland's gameplan is very limited, and has been found out. Bish Bosh and bloody SLOW!!!!!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 pm

More sensational journalism by the BBC

Captain Ryan Jones hailed Wales' "character and die-hard spirit" after they ended their eight-match losing streak with a 16-6 win over France.
The number eight saw his side bounce back from their opening Six Nations defeat by Ireland to record a rare victory over Les Bleus in Paris.

Can't even check their own match lineups
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Well done Wales! thumbsup guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 pm

rodders wrote:Well done Wales! thumbsup guinness

Your turn tomorrow Rodders!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Well done Wales.

Forget all of the other family jewels - a win in Paris is always special.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 am

Poorfour wrote:Pretty ropey play in the red zone from both sides, but Wales produced the one decent moment of inspiration and deserved the win. They'll need to step up a lot to keep winning, though. Not much on display today that will unduly worry England or Ireland.

Ireland need not worry about us now, remember 7 days ago?
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Totally agree. It was a very impressive finish by North -- who is clearly a very skilled player.

That's ignorance at best or lack of rugby knowledge at worst (as has been pointed out by what wing Georgie was on).

I hope for your sake it was the former Madge.

Do you fancy making your mind up as to what it was though, as you contradict yourself massively and have massively wasted a post again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 am

tatterd wrote:
Ospreydragon wrote:"Looking at the way England attacked last week they were on a different planet to us, and that's a sentence I never thought I'd write." -- Confidence can make a HUGE difference to how a team plays. England took the confidence of heavily beating NZ into last week's game. Wales had lost 8 games in a row. For Wales, playing away to France, it was all about fronting up as ateam, very gutsy defence, reducing mistakes and not giving away easy points, and getting the win. The team deserves huge credit.

"The team deserves huge credit". I completely agree Osprey. However, I don't think Wales CAN play as England did last week, at the moment. They have had that kind of inventive attack coached out of them it seems. Constantly changing the point of attack, forwards handling like backs, offloading in the tackle, I'm sorry but we aren't suddenly going to start doing all that in a fortnight. Gatland's gameplan is very limited, and has been found out. Bish Bosh and bloody SLOW!!!!!

Agreed, tatterd. All the opposition need to do is defend competently. They know what to expect and like the charitable souls we are, that's what we give them: forwards taking the ball at 1mph; going to a covered blindside time after time; backs running into the nearest defender; no danger of an offload, of a pass out of the tackle. We have the cutting edge of a spoon.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
tatterd wrote:

Agreed, tatterd. All the opposition need to do is defend competently. They know what to expect and like the charitable souls we are, that's what we give them: forwards taking the ball at 1mph; going to a covered blindside time after time; backs running into the nearest defender; no danger of an offload, of a pass out of the tackle. We have the cutting edge of a spoon.

I said pretty much the same as this even when you won the GS last year. It's a very limited gameplan that reminds me of some of the more direct South African teams. However, when it's done well, it's incredibly hard to stop. Your defence was a million times better than last week and that made the difference, but I think if Gatland wants to regularly beat the SH sides he's going to need to develop a more rounded game. I think the whole 'smash it up the middle over and over again' approach could be enough to beat most NH teams though, including England.

Anyway, it may not have been pretty, but it's a cracking result, especially given the run of form leading up to it. Warburton who eh? Very Happy

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 am

Duty281 wrote:Hmmm... France massively fired up at home after a defeat to Italy against a team who's lost 8 on the bounce. Going to say France to win 26-9.
Laugh Love it when the Welsh haters come up with stupid predictions. I sincerely hope you wagered an incredibly large amount of money on that result pal.

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 am

tatterd wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Hmmm... France massively fired up at home after a defeat to Italy against a team who's lost 8 on the bounce. Going to say France to win 26-9.
Laugh Love it when the Welsh haters come up with stupid predictions. I sincerely hope you wagered an incredibly large amount of money on that result pal.
I'm not sure how it's 'haters'. Most Welsh supporters didn't give their side much of a hope either. Just people being realistic.

Still, that's the 6Ns. Upsets happen.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 am

Good win for Wales. Based on what I've seen, I can't see France winning a game.

Once again, they have been overhyped beyond belief - where is this French talent and depth? I'm not sure it's inconsistency, maybe they just aren't very good.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

Well it's one of the two reign..

Either way they play a game that can't be replicated game after game..

Look at nz SA and England

There have this solid base and then other game plans to boot.. Can france ever mix it up in game?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 am

tatterd wrote:

I'm a Welsh hater? Wind your neck in mate, I'd rather Wales have won that game than France, I just couldn't see it happening.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
tatterd wrote:
I'm not sure how it's 'haters'. Most Welsh supporters didn't give their side much of a hope either. Just people being realistic.

Ok, haters was maybe a strong word. What I was trying to illustrate was that trumpeting stupid predictions about teams you've clearly not got a lot of respect for can often come back and bite you on the arse. As can starting up ridiculous "grand slam glory" threads about other teams. Probably better to keep your gob shut and just see what happens............

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am

tatterd wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
tatterd wrote:

Ok, haters was maybe a strong word. What I was trying to illustrate was that trumpeting stupid predictions about teams you've clearly not got a lot of respect for can often come back and bite you on the arse. As can starting up ridiculous "grand slam glory" threads about other teams. Probably better to keep your gob shut and just see what happens............

Come back when you've won a World Cup. thumbsup

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:39 am

Duty281 wrote:
tatterd wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
tatterd wrote:

picard

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 am

Seems the Wal v Eng cancer is as prevalent as ever. HERSH or not.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am

Equating banter with cancer is a bit strong!!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Metaphorical cancer. Not the actual disease.

I wish every topic was riddled with French and Italians slagging each other off.

Would make a nice change.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer

Both the 'cancer' and the 'dancer' are metaphorical.

Actually it's probably more a simile, as I'm serious as cancer.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 pm

'rythm is a dancer' is just a foolish lyric for a song!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 pm

aaah, Snap, wonderfully talented musical combo. Think I have the CD single somewhere.............

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm a Milli Vanilli person myself..

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Can't beat a bit of Charles and Eddie.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Girl you know it's
Girl you know it's
Girl you know it's
Girl you know it's
Girl you know it's

Hahaha

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:29 pm

FFS..... What do you guys want. Last week we lost, you criticized Welsh performance, selection, quality of pitch, strength of beer... You name it, and it was a problem.

This week we win, and guess what.... You criticize tactics, selection, skills, luck, TV pundits, etc...

Are you guys ever satisfied....

The Welsh team do not become a bad team over night. They have had some howlers recently and that with some big name injuries have given us a dip in form.

Yesterday was a great calculated performance against a very dangerous team who was hurting in front of their home crowd.

A brilliant performance against 16 men.... because Clancy was showed the Welsh pack no evidence of fairness, being sold many a pup from the French front row. Never mind Roland's line 'colour blindness". He seemed to miss blue shirts on the wrong side of the white line. These Irish refs, are making Irish officials laughing stocks.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Doesnt help when they all speak fluent french and ref France constantly!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Congratulations Wales!

Pretty awful game centred around defence and with little attacking invention from either side. But a win's a win and win in Paris is not something to be sniffed at. Good for Wales to stop the rot and gain some confidence and hopefully move on and improve from here.

As for France, well they just seem to not be interested. Selection and style of play/tactics look to be issues too. But knowing them they'll either play awful for the rest of the championship and then go to NZ this summer and win the series or knowing our record against them they'll save a majestic out of this world performance for Dublin. It's always the same with France, they will wake up and god help the side facing them when they do!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:21 pm

t1000, just seen your earlier post'hook s lack of time playing for wales'

68 caps, 33 of them at fly half. lost his chances to nail the shirt.

as for the end of the game, when only hook didnt come on,a mate told me today when i was picking up the papers, he had heard hook was a bit of a 'prima' in training.

i've never been a hook fan, but i never thought he was like that.

how does this money thing work? how are the players paid,? first choice gets x, bench gets x, bonus only if you come on ? anyone enlighten me?

it does seem a bit strange that only hook was left on the bench, wonder why?

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm

tatterd wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
tatterd wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
tatterd wrote:

picard

+ 1.

And did you mean this particular cup?
[img]France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 15 7_s11[/img]
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Casartelli wrote:phillips was our best player! faletau good in open game when wales going well. too light in this kind of game. warbs, jones and tipuric for next match

adam and melon on bench, drop coombs as no power whatsoever

Why drop Adam Jones...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I think we should try a different team as there is a lot of improvement still needed, my team for Italy is
L Bryne
Halfpenny
JD2
S Williams
G North
Hook
Williams (rather R Rees)
R Jones
Tituric
Coombes
I Evans
AWJ
A Jones
Hibbard
James

I think the above team has more grunt in the forwards and a better cutting edge in attack. Biggar had a good game as did Phillips but they are both so slow and the passing accuracy is not good. How many times did Dan delay passes not knowing what to do and kicks to nobody but he is so much better than Preistlaand, I don't want to see him back in the national team.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Maybe immediate promotion of you Cory Allen from the under 20s to take Jamie Roberts spot in the 12 Shirt.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Maybe immediate promotion of you Cory Allen from the under 20s to take Jamie Roberts spot in the 12 Shirt.

I wish they would do that at the Blues.... Whistle

Allen is playing mostly at 13 at the moment - I think he is learning from Roberts though, very similar defensive style (but Allen can pass)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Maybe immediate promotion of you Cory Allen from the under 20s to take Jamie Roberts spot in the 12 Shirt.

I wish they would do that at the Blues.... Whistle

Allen is playing mostly at 13 at the moment - I think he is learning from Roberts though, very similar defensive style (but Allen can pass)

Got some serious pace too.

We really need a creative inside centre again. A game reader who can think for themselves.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

dan delayed a few passes that had come to him from already being delayed by mp. twice to draw in a tackler, but he was looking for people to run on to the pass, often no options outside, centres are really poor, just running at players, one new centre could be all we need.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:09 pm

by Irishhoneymonster Today at 2:38 am

Congratulations Wales!

Pretty awful game centred around defence and with little attacking invention from either side. But a win's a win and win in Paris is not something to be sniffed at. Good for Wales to stop the rot and gain some confidence and hopefully move quote

Har har. Such a pretty game in Dublin today centred around defence blah blah. Not. We had a great attritional game dogged and gritty. Very proud of the lads. As Bart said EMS!you must be truly gutted. But I was shouting for you musha

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next