The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team for Murrayfield???

+43
Knowsit17
mrzimmerman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
funnyExiledScot
Jimpy
SecretFly
wales606
LondonTiger
glamorganalun
Comfort
Liam
Seagultaf
hjumpshoe
Shifty
gavstar
lauriehow
JDizzle
The Bachelor
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
gboycottnut
t1000advancedprototype
George Carlin
Morgannwg
Dontheman
BlueNote
pioden gorllewin
flyhalffactory
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
Casartelli
100%beefy
Glas a du
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
TJ1
majesticimperialman
RubyGuby
welshboii15
welshy6
maestegmafia
47 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wales team for Murrayfield??? - Page 4 Empty Wales team for Murrayfield???

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's the Wales team then:-

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones (C), Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau.

REPLACEMENTS: Ken Owens, Scott Andrews, Ryan Bevington, Andrew Coombs, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams.

Sam Warburton, Paul James and Alun Wynn in, Andrews and Bevington on the bench.

Surprised to see Warburton given his place over Tipuric, I guess Gethin is out injured.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 05 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales team for Murrayfield??? - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales team for Murrayfield???

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

Who Rees? I think so, we also have a Journeyman called leck who should get papped.

(slightly off topic)

What I would like to see is Edinburgh import Jackson from Glasgow since his running rugby would suit Edinburgh's play style and it leaves the Glasgow 10 slot for the 21 year old Weir to grow into.

That way we could have Cusiter/Pyrgos & Weir playing for the Weage and Laidlaw/Clyne & Jackson/Leonard/Hunter at Edinburgh giving us differant Half back options..

Anyway Blues, I'm not suggesting to rip the heart and Soul out of the Welsh backline, it is (Scrum half aside) I reckon one of the best in the world.

I would change Phillips and try to invite Halfpenny to come into the line a bit more in attack... that's all.

I also suggested Hook at 10 because I still think he is one of Wales' best options as a link man at 10 to make sure your big bruisers have space and time to run the devestating angles.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Who Rees? I think so, we also have a Journeyman called leck who should get papped.

(slightly off topic)

What I would like to see is Edinburgh import Jackson from Glasgow since his running rugby would suit Edinburgh's play style and it leaves the Glasgow 10 slot for the 21 year old Weir to grow into.

That way we could have Cusiter/Pyrgos & Weir playing for the Weage and Laidlaw/Clyne & Jackson/Leonard/Hunter at Edinburgh giving us differant Half back options..

Anyway Blues, I'm not suggesting to rip the heart and Soul out of the Welsh backline, it is (Scrum half aside) I reckon one of the best in the world.

I would change Phillips and try to invite Halfpenny to come into the line a bit more in attack... that's all.

I also suggested Hook at 10 because I still think he is one of Wales' best options as a link man at 10 to make sure your big bruisers have space and time to run the devestating angles.

What about that young flyhalf lad at Edinburgh, he looks very promising. Sorry my memory has drawn a blank for names this afternoon

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
What about that young flyhalf lad at Edinburgh, he looks very promising. Sorry my memory has drawn a blank for names this afternoon

That could be either Leonard or Hunter, both playing reasonably well thumbsup However Bradley seems to have a hard on for that Francis guy, don't really know why since he is boufin' vomit

Thankfully Bradley's days are numbered so perhaps we'll see less insane rotation policies and the core of the team cementing into a formidable team. Although the results don't show it there is a dangerous team lurking in this current Edinburgh outfit.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

Maes and RuggerRadge should replace Gatland and Howley with immediate effect.

Let's see some attacking rugby again!

clap

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm

Someone has had a word with Lloyd Willliams to just get the basics right - Up until very recently this guy was taking all the wrong options and his performances for the mighty Blues illustrated this - He's fortunate to be where he is and he needs to make the most of it because he won't be there for too long thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:34 pm

Aren't the best alternatives to Phillips playing for Sale and the Dragons? I'm guessing the changes for this game will be James and possibly AWJ.

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:09 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

That could be either Leonard or Hunter, both playing reasonably well thumbsup However Bradley seems to have a hard on for that Francis guy, don't really know why since he is boufin' vomit

Thankfully Bradley's days are numbered so perhaps we'll see less insane rotation policies and the core of the team cementing into a formidable team. Although the results don't show it there is a dangerous team lurking in this current Edinburgh outfit.

Leonard. Great player. Hopefully a big future for Scotland.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Someone has had a word with Lloyd Willliams to just get the basics right - Up until very recently this guy was taking all the wrong options and his performances for the mighty Blues illustrated this - He's fortunate to be where he is and he needs to make the most of it because he won't be there for too long thumbsup

A benefit of Having one of the best scrumhalfs ever to play the game as your international coach.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:12 pm

The Bachelor wrote:Aren't the best alternatives to Phillips playing for Sale and the Dragons? I'm guessing the changes for this game will be James and possibly AWJ.

I don't think Peel has been all that great to be honest. Two seasons ago we'd all agree with you but not recently. Too many injuries taking their toll.

Jon Evans is hit or miss, good sixty percent of the time but needs to mature.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

Just read that AWJ has been released back to the Ospreys this weekend along with Rees, Shingler, Li Williams, Ll Williams, Reed and King.

I am guessing its to allow him to get a bit of game time but is it bit strange tha Warburton not been released?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

No he doesn't need to pick up any more knocks and the Blues are going no where thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm

Fair one Ruby just bit surprised AWJ been released thought after having ab it of gametime for the Os and last week that he would have been retained in camp
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Fair one Ruby just bit surprised AWJ been released thought after having ab it of gametime for the Os and last week that he would have been retained in camp

I thought that too.

It is great of the Wales camp to be helping the regions in their fight for the RP12 knock out stages. You never know if the blending PRL get there way the knock out qualifiers might be the only RP teams in whatever formally European competition we get next season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:23 pm

Just because Lloyd gets to the breakdown quicker/gets the ball away quicker doesn't make him a good nine; his passing has been woeful when he has come on. Case in point, George North's try against France where Biggar is picking the ball up of his ankles before he puts the chip in.

To move on stylistically a better distributor than Phillips would probably be required at 9, but for the game we are playing then he is perfect. Some of the criticism of the backline is a bit harsh, we were gash against Ire for 50 minutes and then it was win at all costs against France and the conditions in Italy didn't help any sort of open rugby. Keep the same backline and see how they go in decent conditions in Scotland (fingers crossed!).

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

Dizzles right, and the poor pass because Williams doesn't have any real distance in his pass jumps to mind too!!!

Williams is just quicker, doesn't get involved in anything going forward, his attempts at breaking the line are laughable, and his distribution is dire.

What poeple tend to forget is that Phillips is controling the game from 9, we don't have a wellies to rely on, RP, Hook and Biggar are all flawed and Phillips is having to do a lot of scruff work, he could easily do a Danny Care and at every sighting of the ball thrash it to the 10, but thats not what we are using him for!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

My theory on the scrums - Castro ALWAYS pushes in at an angle if he can, but Poite was warning him on that all the time, and I heard a final warning on it around 1/2 time, and not much later he had a yellow.

When Castro has to push straight he is not half as effective.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 28 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

williams passes one way ok, but no really good length, and to the other he does a big hip turn and step and he just cannot pass that way.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 28 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

gavstar wrote:williams passes one way ok, but no really good length, and to the other he does a big hip turn and step and he just cannot pass that way.

He passes to the right ok. All scrum halves have to. There is a very good reason why some, quite often pass off their right to the left or take a step, its because of the side the scrum is fed to.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:28 pm

you are partially correct, but a good scrum half should be able to pass to without so much of a discrepancy as we are seeing with williams bettween either side.

also i was not only talking about from the scrum, from the ruck or off line out ball he is very obviously weaker one way. so obvious that the delay as he replaces his feet allows the opposition time.

everyone has a weaker side, but he must do more work on this weakness, it will be targetted the more the better teams see of him.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

gavstar wrote:williams passes one way ok, but no really good length, and to the other he does a big hip turn and step and he just cannot pass that way.
I've heard quite a few people comment on that too. He's young though, so may be able to work on it and sort it out. He's still a much better option than Phillips even though he's raw.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Alyn in Coombes out for me.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the gesture, I'd of loved to of played for Wales back in the day but i'm worn out and knackered! leave it to the youngsters like Alun Wyn Jones. Hug

Joking aside, no changes for me, we won in Paris and Rome keep the team and momentum going and keep Warburton and AWJ on the bench, it's horrific for the opposition knowing they have to face Wales then see that kind of quality come off the bench. Yahoo

Personally I think Scotland will self destruct, they will try and "out rugby" Wales and probably Wales will play off their mistakes and do little else but take their chances off Scottish errors, but I think the Scotland game is the closest thing Wales has to a banker.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 01 Mar 2013, 8:19 am

I cant believe after less than 3 halves of rugby people are now calling for Williams to start.

When the squad was announced there was outcry and sheer bewilderment by many that he was even in the squad.

Phillips, for me is still head and shoulders above his competition for the No9 slot, he's not perfect we know that but he is very good at what he does.

Williams or a different style of player to Phillips off the bench is good option to have but Phillips starts for me by some clear margin.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 01 Mar 2013, 8:33 am

Shifty wrote:I think the Scotland game is the closest thing Wales has to a banker.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite you on the @rse.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

Bite us on the ass you mean.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

Pretty damning comments from a team who got Mullered by the same team we beat on Sunday. Whistle
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Pretty damning comments from a team who got Mullered by the same team we beat on Sunday. Whistle

the same team, oh you mean ireland...hardly......

ireland tean v Wales
Kearney; Gilroy, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Zebo; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Ross, McCarthy, Ryan, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Heaslip

ireland team v scotland
Kearney, Gilroy, O'Driscoll, L. Marshall, Earls, Jackson, Murray, Court, Best, Ross, O'Callaghan, Ryan, O'Mahony, Heaslip, O'Brien.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

I'm having the same discussion on 2 threads here, so I'll leave this one with my parting comment.

Wales are a strong team, but by their own high standards of play last year they are a bit weaker. Scotland by contrast are stronger than what they were last season.

This game for me is way too close to call. I seriously hope the Welsh players come to Murrayfield thinking it is a "banker" game.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I'm having the same discussion on 2 threads here, so I'll leave this one with my parting comment.

Wales are a strong team, but by their own high standards of play last year they are a bit weaker. Scotland by contrast are stronger than what they were last season.

This game for me is way too close to call. I seriously hope the Welsh players come to Murrayfield thinking it is a "banker" game.

Yes, very much so and they won't. It will be a ripper of a game. Must win for both sides, massive forward confrontation, Scots dogged defence and aggression evocative of Calder/White/Jeffries days....Welsh back to some semblance of confidence. Your lineout v our scrum. I think we are better at keeping and using the ball but Scotland are taking their chances when they come up. Can't wait.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:42 pm

quote="bedfordwelsh"]

Phillips, for me is still head and shoulders above his competition for the No9 slot, he's not perfect we know that but he is very good at what he does.

Williams or a different style of player to Phillips off the bench is good option to have but Phillips starts for me by some clear margin.[/quote]

Completely agree! Yes his slow service does annoy me, but he suits our game plan (Gatland's game plan) perfectly. Which is why i wouldnt be surprised if he's the Lions starting 9 in the summer. Back on topic, Id start with Paul James and Alun Wyn for the scottish match, moving Gethin (if fit) and Coombs to the bench. Forget England for now, we need our strongest team on the pitch from the start in order to dampen the passion of the resurgent scots!!!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:17 am

hjumpshoe wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Williams or a different style of player to Phillips off the bench is good option to have but Phillips starts for me by some clear margin.

Completely agree! Yes his slow service does annoy me, but he suits our game plan (Gatland's game plan) perfectly. Which is why i wouldnt be surprised if he's the Lions starting 9 in the summer. Back on topic, Id start with Paul James and Alun Wyn for the scottish match, moving Gethin (if fit) and Coombs to the bench. Forget England for now, we need our strongest team on the pitch from the start in order to dampen the passion of the resurgent scots!!!

This game will be very tough to win. A scots team with their tails up us a very confrontational prospect. Historically they have been the victor more often than not when they have a glimmer of hope and a sniff of victory making them twice the team.

They will test Wales all round game far more than Italy or France did.

It is the same for a Scotland, to stand a chance of winning the championship but Wales need to focus, they need the experience of Phillips, Ryan, Adam, Gethin, AWJ to see us through. Wales don't need to just win, they have to win well, very well, but win no matter what.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:33 pm

For me, Warburton and AWJ to start, Tipuric and Coombes have done nothing wrong its just that Warbs and AWJ are better players and Wales need to start their best 15.

I still have doubts about Hibbard who is outstanding for the Ospreys but does not impress for Wales. Maybe Rees on the bench to put him under a bit more pressure to perform?

One of Wales weaknesses is the lack of an option at halfback, both Williams and Hook have been very poor when they have come on. If there aren't any better fit options, then keep them on the bench unless Phillips or Biggar gets injured.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm

Same team,Just AWJ and Warburton to start with Coombs and Tipuric on to the bench.
Ryan to keep the captaincy.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

I don't know why Wales would change a team that is winning.

With my neutral's hat pulled uncomfortably on, I would start with Coombs instead of AWJ (who had an adequate but not stellar game against Munster) and Tipuric. I think that with a winning team, those challenging for a place need to actively displace the incumbents and neither Warbs nor AWJ have done enough to do that, I don't think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:08 pm

I agree same team for me then AWJ and Warbs to come off the bench and have an impact. We're only going to get better with confidence because Wales are a confidence based side, most sides are but particularly Wales.

There won't be much in it but we need to look to dominate up front like we did against Italy. If we dominate the scrum I think we'll win.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:01 am

Seagultaf wrote:For me, Warburton and AWJ to start, Tipuric and Coombes have done nothing wrong its just that Warbs and AWJ are better players

'Better' by what criteria?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:10 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:For me, Warburton and AWJ to start, Tipuric and Coombes have done nothing wrong its just that Warbs and AWJ are better players

'Better' by what criteria?

I definitely agree AWJ is a far better lock than Coombs. Warburton or Tipuric is a tough call both very good but very different players.

When AWJ arrived he improved our pack in the last game. Not so sure Warburton did.

I'd keep Warbs benched, give him game time to prove his worth. He can be world class for us.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:17 am

You're missing my point, Maes. All that matters is who's playing the better rugby now. We should have learnt our lesson when it comes to selecting players based on past achievements.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:33 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You're missing my point, Maes. All that matters is who's playing the better rugby now. We should have learnt our lesson when it comes to selecting players based on past achievements.

I do agree, but I think players are learning that their place is not guaranteed. Not reinstating Warburton is a huge statement of intent by the management.

We are fortunate to have the talent and depth available.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

AWJ didn't look great this weekend, decent but no impact like the week before. Coombs has done nothing wrong and is playing in a dominant pack, why should he automatically give his place back up???

Warbs too, for me he shouldve played for the Blues for gametime, but as he hasn't he should stay on the bench, our pack beat Italy up, and were more than a match for France, theres little to suggest the same 8 won't be too much for Scotland to it has to stay the same!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:41 am

From the Wail

JUSTIN TIPURIC says his competition with Sam Warburton for the Wales No. 7 jersey is driving both players on to new heights.

Coach Rob Howley faces a huge decision as he considers who should occupy the openside berth in Saturday’s Six Nations showdown with Scotland at Murrayfield.

Howley is due to announce his choices tomorrow and Tipuric is the man in possession, having started the last two games against France and Italy, which Wales won to end a eight-match losing run.

Having missed the trip to Paris with a shoulder stinger, skipper Warburton had to settle for a spot on the bench in Rome, entering the fray late as a sub.

Howley must now decide which of the two flankers gets the nod for the all-important Edinburgh encounter.

And Tipuric is the first to acknowledge he has a battle on his hands to retain his place.

“It's not going to be easy, that's for sure,” said the Ospreys openside.

“A lot of people have obviously made a big fuss about it, but we both just want to play.

“The main thing is we just want to see Wales do well.

“It’s good competition and it’s only pushing us to be better players.

“At the end of the day, we both want Wales to win and we both want our team-mates to do well. So, when we play, we just want to do our job for the team.”

Tipuric knows all about having quality rivals for a back-row spot, given the challenge he faced during the early days of his regional career.

“It was obviously tough trying to get into the Ospreys when I first started,” he said.

“At the time, they had unbelievable players in the back row, like Marty Holah, Jerry Collins, Filo Tiatia, Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas.

“All these players were massive internationals and I was fourth or fifth choice.

“It was just a bit of luck and having chance and trying to make the most of it.

“I’ve learned a lot from coming through that hard period and playing with those experienced players you learn a lot.

“Obviously now it’s tough again to be competing with Sam. But it’s another thing I’ve got to learn from and work on and keep training hard.”

Scotland caretaker coach Scott Johnson knows Tipuric well from his days as director of rugby at the Ospreys.

And he has no hesitation in picking out the 23-year-old from Trebanos as the main danger man in the Welsh ranks.

“Justin Tipuric, he’s the standout player,” says the Aussie. “He’s a great athlete, great skills, just a standout player.

“He’s a Ross Rennie type, but harder on the ball and better in the air at the lineouts, so he’s a fantastic player.”

Away from the openside debate, the other main selection dilemma facing Howley surrounds the second row.

Dragons forward Andrew Coombs has done a stirring job since stepping into the breach as the solution to Wales lock injury crisis.

But now Alun Wyn Jones is back fit after three months out with shoulder damage and is pushing hard for a starting spot in Edinburgh.

The 68-cap Jones returned to the international stage as a sub against Italy and played the full 80 minutes for the Ospreys at the weekend.

He put in a big display as he skippered his region to a notable 13-13 draw with Munster.

in Limerick and must be in with a big shout of reclaiming the Wales No 4 jersey.

One other issue to be resolved is the fitness of prop Gethin Jenkins, who pulled his calf out in Rome.

If Jenkins fails to make it, then Bath's Paul James would take over on the loose-head side of the scrum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

I heard that the team is out today?

Is that correct?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

I heard it was Tuesday.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:13 am

I thought AWJ looked a little out of sorts this weekend, gave away some silly penaltys and tried to take too much on - He won't get away with that against Scotland although we need him as a line out option IMO thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:22 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:AWJ didn't look great this weekend, decent but no impact like the week before. Coombs has done nothing wrong and is playing in a dominant pack, why should he automatically give his place back up???

Warbs too, for me he shouldve played for the Blues for gametime, but as he hasn't he should stay on the bench, our pack beat Italy up, and were more than a match for France, theres little to suggest the same 8 won't be too much for Scotland to it has to stay the same!

'Dominant pack'? We get smashed in contact, haven't one player in the pack who consistently gets over the gainline and, in the absence of Lydiate, haven't anyone who can stop opposition forwards strolling forward for fun.

We give it 100%, in fairness, but just because we stood up to the Italians it's a bit early to get excited. Only a couple of games ago we were getting obliterated by O'Brien and O'Mahony.

Enthusiastic, yes. Dominant? Afraid not.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

[quote="Captain_Sensible"]
dragonbreath wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:
TJ wrote:Phillips? Will he really play? I look forward to Laidlaw showing him up for the slow donkey he is. laidlaw will harass him ( and then hide behind Hamilton when Philips loses it Very Happy )

And I look forward to Mike running right over the top of him and scrapping him off his boots. Laidlaw is an absolute liability in defence. Some people touting him a Lions captain, I do like a laugh but come on

Laidlaw's playing at 9, not 10. Do try to keep up. When was the last time you saw him get brushed off a cover tackle at 9? [/quote/]

Sorry I didn't realise that his tackling was only crap when he played 10. Where exactly was this tackling Tiger when the Irish midfield were bursting through the 10 channel, The only reason he was not trampled was that instead of covering he was hiding somewhere waving them through. A good scrum half is at least in position to make a tackle Laidlaw was nowhere to be seen.

"Do try and keep up". You are a real comedian. Stick to jokes because you clearly don't know wht you are talking about

Well, I was trying to keep things light-hearted, but ok, you'll try to be chippy. Fine.

Laidlaw, funnily enough, wasn't tackling in the 10 channel because he wasn't playing at 10. He was covering the fringes or sweeping behind, like all 9s do. The poor tackling came from Ruaridh Jackson, who was actually playing at 10. Understand?

Laidlaw's a wee man, he does get run over when he plays at 10, just like Matthew Morgan does for the Ospreys. But, Laidlaw's playing at 9, where his cover defense is excellent. If you can't understand the difference in defensive positioning/tackling between 9 and 10, you haven't watched enough rugby.

And you don't listen. The many and numerous breaks made by Ireland may have been prevented had Laidlaw been covering as he should of been. There is no evidence of this excellent covering you keep refering to. Also the fact that they had to hide him from the defensive line when at 10 (what was that all about) surely proves that the Scotland coaches know he is a liability. Whenever exposed people just run over the top of him. Cuthbert just brushed him aside like a child. The only one who seems to be in denial about his limitations in this pretty important element of the game is you.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:14 pm

[quote="dragonbreath"]
Captain_Sensible wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:
TJ wrote:Phillips? Will he really play? I look forward to Laidlaw showing him up for the slow donkey he is. laidlaw will harass him ( and then hide behind Hamilton when Philips loses it Very Happy )

And I look forward to Mike running right over the top of him and scrapping him off his boots. Laidlaw is an absolute liability in defence. Some people touting him a Lions captain, I do like a laugh but come on

Laidlaw's playing at 9, not 10. Do try to keep up. When was the last time you saw him get brushed off a cover tackle at 9? [/quote/]

Sorry I didn't realise that his tackling was only crap when he played 10. Where exactly was this tackling Tiger when the Irish midfield were bursting through the 10 channel, The only reason he was not trampled was that instead of covering he was hiding somewhere waving them through. A good scrum half is at least in position to make a tackle Laidlaw was nowhere to be seen.

"Do try and keep up". You are a real comedian. Stick to jokes because you clearly don't know wht you are talking about

Well, I was trying to keep things light-hearted, but ok, you'll try to be chippy. Fine.

Laidlaw, funnily enough, wasn't tackling in the 10 channel because he wasn't playing at 10. He was covering the fringes or sweeping behind, like all 9s do. The poor tackling came from Ruaridh Jackson, who was actually playing at 10. Understand?

Laidlaw's a wee man, he does get run over when he plays at 10, just like Matthew Morgan does for the Ospreys. But, Laidlaw's playing at 9, where his cover defense is excellent. If you can't understand the difference in defensive positioning/tackling between 9 and 10, you haven't watched enough rugby.

And you don't listen. The many and numerous breaks made by Ireland may have been prevented had Laidlaw been covering as he should of been. There is no evidence of this excellent covering you keep refering to. Also the fact that they had to hide him from the defensive line when at 10 (what was that all about) surely proves that the Scotland coaches know he is a liability. Whenever exposed people just run over the top of him. Cuthbert just brushed him aside like a child. The only one who seems to be in denial about his limitations in this pretty important element of the game is you.

Dragon

One of the highlighted points from the non-biased press on the Irish game (I dont mean our local and national media) seem to highlight that both Visser and Laidlaw stepped up to the mark defensively. Not once did Greig miss a tackle against Ireland in fact he was often deep in the ruck and the breakdown mainly because of how slow our forwards were to react. You can't say he is a liability anymore than Hogg, Lloyd Williams, or Halfpenny all can tackle but rarely will stop a guy dead who is 5-6 stone heavier, but they will slow him down.

Laidlaw will never be a Mike Phillips but he is not the defensive liability you are trying and failing to prove
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

flyhalffactory wrote: You can't say he is a liability anymore than Hogg, Lloyd Williams, or Halfpenny all can tackle but rarely will stop a guy dead who is 5-6 stone heavier, but they will slow him down.

Laidlaw will never be a Mike Phillips but he is not the defensive liability you are trying and failing to prove

Woah, Halfpenny who hasnt missed a tackle in the last 2 years worth of 6nations?

Halfpenny who stopped SOB in his tracks whilst in full flight with a head on tackle a couple of games ago?

Halfpenny who as the last line of defense has been absolutely rock solid for nearly the last 2 years for Wales?

That same Halfpenny being compared to Laidlaw and Lloyd Williams in regards to defensive liabilities?

I'm afraid, I couldnt disagree less.

Laidlaws cover tackling is very good, and he sweeps very well and is tenacious at the breakdown for his size, but to put his defence in the same category as Halfpenny?!?!?!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:26 pm

yeah come on Half is welsh, means he can't be compared to scots!

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

Comfort wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote: You can't say he is a liability anymore than Hogg, Lloyd Williams, or Halfpenny all can tackle but rarely will stop a guy dead who is 5-6 stone heavier, but they will slow him down.

Woah, Halfpenny who hasnt missed a tackle in the last 2 years worth of 6nations?

Halfpenny who stopped SOB in his tracks whilst in full flight with a head on tackle a couple of games ago?

Halfpenny who as the last line of defense has been absolutely rock solid for nearly the last 2 years for Wales?

That same Halfpenny being compared to Laidlaw and Lloyd Williams in regards to defensive liabilities?

I'm afraid, I couldnt disagree less.

Laidlaws cover tackling is very good, and he sweeps very well and is tenacious at the breakdown for his size, but to put his defence in the same category as Halfpenny?!?!?!

+1, 1/2Penny stopped SOB dead, he may not have his head in the correct position but you can't knock his bravery. I was not impressed by Hog's tackle attempts against Ireland but going forward he is dangerous so no poor kicking in his direction as Preistland did last year.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:27 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:AWJ didn't look great this weekend, decent but no impact like the week before. Coombs has done nothing wrong and is playing in a dominant pack, why should he automatically give his place back up???

I have given this some further thought and have changed my mind.We should start with AWJ and then strengthen the side by bringing Coombs on when AWJ starts to tire.Sorted Very Happy

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next