The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team for Murrayfield???

+43
Knowsit17
mrzimmerman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
funnyExiledScot
Jimpy
SecretFly
wales606
LondonTiger
glamorganalun
Comfort
Liam
Seagultaf
hjumpshoe
Shifty
gavstar
lauriehow
JDizzle
The Bachelor
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
gboycottnut
t1000advancedprototype
George Carlin
Morgannwg
Dontheman
BlueNote
pioden gorllewin
flyhalffactory
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
Casartelli
100%beefy
Glas a du
dragonbreath
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
TJ1
majesticimperialman
RubyGuby
welshboii15
welshy6
maestegmafia
47 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Wales team for Murrayfield??? - Page 6 Empty Wales team for Murrayfield???

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's the Wales team then:-

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones (C), Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau.

REPLACEMENTS: Ken Owens, Scott Andrews, Ryan Bevington, Andrew Coombs, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams.

Sam Warburton, Paul James and Alun Wynn in, Andrews and Bevington on the bench.

Surprised to see Warburton given his place over Tipuric, I guess Gethin is out injured.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 05 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales team for Murrayfield??? - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales team for Murrayfield???

Post by maestegmafia Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:14 pm

doddieman wrote:Putting tips on the bench could be a great way of maintaining the competition for the 7 jersey. They both want to earn their place, this is warbs chance, if he isn't exceptional he'll be off by half-time, if he is he'll be off by 60 and we'll have a hungry tips with 20-40 mins to earn the place for next week. A good performance isnt good enough, outstanding is the.benchmark to get the nod for england. Genius really.
And is it apparent that. The captaincy is shouldn't be given so early to young players. Ryan lost form when holding the captaincy and now warbs. Ryan is far more mature now and seems more able to lead the team and play well. Warbs was a fantastic.player.in the rwc. But not a great leader. As soon as the Poopie hit the fan in summer and autumn and wales needed a leader his.form went.

Good post some really interesting points there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

Well Warbs form didn't go as much as he was rushed back from a very long injury and didn't get a real chance to regain form!!

I am so peed off that Warburtons starting, he's shown nothing but mediocrity for club and country in the last 12 months, how does anyone justify dropping Tipuric after 1 tight affair?!?!

Warburton shouldve been playing for the Blues and getting some gametime under his belt, I would prefer to see Navidi start over Warburton right now, as I would before the tournament began!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:56 pm

I don't think we should read too much into this because RJ is Capt.

Warbs is on suffrance now, Tips is a superb exponent of loose play and with 30 left he could be very damaging to Scots. Warbs is being given his head to see if he can disrupt an already questionable Scottish contact area which is, at his best, his forte.

I think Warbs has expectation and rep that deserves his selection, but Tips is the heir apparent.

Meanwhile Lord Jones has finally been vindicated with the captiancy he deserves. Well Frak done

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:44 am

wales606 wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Why drop Mitchell off the bench?

I'm assuming he is injured

No wonder he's injured if he was dropped off the bench.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:34 am

Cheers mass, I've never been quoted before!
My point is that with direct competition for every jersey the players have to perform to the highest standards or else. This is what gatland said before he started in 2008 but its been pushed aside. We dont change a losing team so that they can find form and we dont tend to change a winning team despite individual performances. 90% of the time our team selects itself and changes are only made due to injury, gethin and awj this time. The only players who look like they've got anything to prove is halfpenny, climbed and hook. And hook just looks like he's a bit to desperate to.impress when he finally gets the chance to hold.the ball. Roberts and jd2 definitely should be told their places are.in danger without an amazing next game as should.north, he doesn't look hungry for.the ball.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:51 am

Picking up on a few points I think its good that Ryan has kep the captaincy which allows Warburton to just concentrate on his own game, Jones himself struggled with the captaincy few seasons back so he knows what Sam is going through.

I was a bit surprised to Warburton didn't go back to the Blues last week to get a bit of game time but like has been said I think Tipuric coming off the bench with 20-25 to go could really cause huge problems for the Scots.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

It's true, Bedford, but seeing as he's currently the better player, I'd want him causing Scotland problems for the full 80.

If Warburton discovers his best form on Saturday, I'll be delighted for him because he must be as disappointed as anyone at his form over the last year or so.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

I thought Warburton was starting to find some form before his latest knock which why I think its good move him not being captain just let himconcentrate on the game.

That said I would have been more than happy to see Tips start, just glad Howley didn't pick Warbs and give him captaincy back.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Howley has given a better explanation than the one I read yesterday (Sam played really well in his ten minutes in Rome honest). He says that he is starting Sam to counter the Scots physicality in the contact area with his increased bulk.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:05 pm

I love how mobile our bench is. Bevington, Owens, Tipuric, Williams and Hook all have fantastic running games to come on in the last 20.

If we can limit Scotland to under 40% ball in the first hour and make them make a lot of tackles, those guys could come on and tear the game up.

Also love the look of our front 5, all powerful in the scrum, all know each other well from the Ospreys, if we can dominate there we could see huge success.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:08 pm

Aye good looking bench, can add plenty to a tiring team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:23 pm

The confident murmurrings starting from the Welsh fans. I always start to get very nervous when this phase begins.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:58 pm

Casartelli wrote:The confident murmurrings starting from the Welsh fans. I always start to get very nervous when this phase begins.

Why are you using the Plural?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

Toby Faletau interview in the Western Mail.

WALES back-rower Toby Faletau might have been one of the shining lights of the Six Nations campaign so far.

But just don’t try telling that to the Dragons No.8.

Faletau might be Wales’ leading ball-carrier (39) and tackler (32) in the tournament after the first three games.

This makes him the joint third with England captain Chris Robshaw behind Ireland flanker Sean O’Brien and France No.8 Louis Picamoles.

But the 22-year-old remains his biggest critic after giving himself a damning assessment on his own form.

“I wouldn’t say that I am playing well - I’d give myself a five out of 10,” suggested Faletau.

“I am just hanging in there and taking each game as it comes.

“I think there is plenty of room for improvement. I just have to keep working hard on all parts of my game.

“My stats are good, but that’s nothing big.

“I don’t really bother with them too much.

“They are not always a fair reflection of how things are going.”

The modest Faletau might not hold much store with his statistics, but the Lions selectors will have taken note of his performances which have been more impressive than he cares to give himself credit for.

Ireland No.8 Jamie Heaslip was considered to be the favourite for the Lions Test jersey in Australia this summer and even touted as a possible captain.

But an indifferent campaign has seen Heaslip’s stock fall and furthered the case of the likes of Faletau and rejuvenated Scottish No.8 Johnnie Beattie.

The pair go head-to-head at Murrayfield on Saturday in what is one of a few audition battles for a place on the Lions plane Down Under, although Faletau is not entertaining this scenario.

“I’m not even thinking about making the Lions tour, the team comes first and it’s all about finishing the Six Nations well and getting good results in our last two games,” said Faletau.

“All that I am concentrating on is Scotland because you cannot afford to look too far ahead in international rugby.

“So there’s no point in even thinking about England until after this weekend.”

But Faletau can turn his attention to thinking about how Wales will stop Beattie, who has been galvanised by a return to the Test arena.

“He’s a really good player, very athletic and dynamic,” said Faletau.

“He carries well, quick and powerful.

“I’ve had this throughout the tournament – they are all big guys and there have been some great challenges.

“Picamoles has been outstanding for France.

“He is lethal with ball in hand and is so hard to stop and I think Beattie has been the same for Scotland.”

Faletau has been the one constant in the Welsh back row during the tournament with Aaron Shingler, Ryan Jones, Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric all packing down alongside him at some point.

After the same back-row trio started in the away victories against France and Italy, there is a change for Murrayfield with Warburton replacing Ospreys openside Tipuric.

“They are different types of players and bring different things to the game,” said Faletau.

“Justin plays a bit wider, but they are both great at the breakdown.”

Jones continues to captain the side despite the return of Warburton after showing remarkable leadership skills in the last two victories.

The veteran Ospreys back-rower has also produced impressive performances at blindside flanker as he tries to fill the void left by the injured Dan Lydiate, who was last year’s Six Nations player of the tournament.

“Ryan is getting the boys together and doing a great job as a captain, while his performances have also been outstanding,” remarked Faletau.

“Dan was brilliant last year, but Ryan has done as well in a different way.

“Dan is superb with his chop-tackling, but Ryan is a real team player who does his job well and everyone responds to that.

“He loves the dirty work and gets stuck in, whenever there is a ruck he is in there somewhere

“Find the ball and you will find Ryan.”

Faletau will win his 25th cap on Saturday after making the Wales No.8 jersey his own.

But he has been kept on his toes in Wales training by his regional rival and team-mate Ieuan Jones, who many regard as his natural successor.

Jones is the No.8 for the Wales Under-20 squad, who are attempting to complete their own Grand Slam after winning their first three matches.

Coach Rob Howley this week hailed the Under-20 players who have been training alongside the senior squad and Faletau admits their presence has been invaluable.

“It’s tough and they really charge in. It’s good for the team and helps with the preparation,” said Faletau.

“They do driving lineouts and scrums with us and really get stuck in and make it hard work. Ieuan goes flying in, he loves it.

“He has been in amazing form with the Dragons recently and has been carrying superbly.

“I think he’s got the Dragons No.8 jersey now and I will struggle to get it back off him.”

More modesty from Wales’ back-row talisman. But then you would not expect anything less.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:16 am

He's really articulate, isn't he.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He's really articulate, isn't he.

Aye sounds like a lovely bloke. Very Modest. You get that impression on the pitch too. Though I would like to see him get an opportunity to show his running game. He is spectacular at pace with ball in hand..

Nice to hear accolades for young Ieuan too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

Ieuan's a ready-made replacement for Toby when he goes at the end of next season, which I'm sure he will.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Ieuan's a ready-made replacement for Toby when he goes at the end of next season, which I'm sure he will.

I thought he was sticking around for another season...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He's really articulate, isn't he.

Aye sounds like a lovely bloke. Very Modest. You get that impression on the pitch too. Though I would like to see him get an opportunity to show his running game. He is spectacular at pace with ball in hand..

Nice to hear accolades for young Ieuan too.

Good point MM, and I think playing between Ryan and Warbs will give him the best opportunity to do that. Faletau and Tipuric are very similar as fast, mobile, finesse/skills players that do best when running at spaces. Having both of them doing similar roles in the same backrow destroys the balance.

The challenge will be, in the absence of Lydiate chopping people down, can they (and the rest of the pack) stop the Scottish ball carriers rumbling casually over the gainline like Ireland did?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Ieuan's a ready-made replacement for Toby when he goes at the end of next season, which I'm sure he will.

He is, which is why I said the end of next season. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

He is, which is why I said the end of next season. Smile

I thought it was just speculation, not doubting your knowledge, I have been away a month and have missed plenty. Where is he going, another region or abroad?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:11 am

Nothing's confirmed as far as I know.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:17 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Nothing's confirmed as far as I know.

Thats good, he is still only 22. If he was 25 or 26 like Hook or Roberts I would understand, but he should be the focal point that the Dragons build themselves around and should be one of the reasons they will improve their standings.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

Hook is 28 this June.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:45 pm

So is anyone going to set up an official 'Wooden Spooners' vs 'Grand Slammers' matchday thread?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Thu 07 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Im starting to worry a little about how our lineout will cope. We never have one that fills me with confidence. Scotland forced Irelands (normally good) line out struggle. If we can't field position I think we may bleed points. I really don't think the backs are good enough form to run it all the way out. Im a bit nervous. =(

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 07 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

Yes sheephead you have nailed it..Scots will be happy to kick kick and kick some more and attack our lineout which is oen of the reasons for me that AWJ and Sam are selected. meanwhile we will be stupid if we kick for territory into their back 3 so already the territorial game seems won. But to counter that Wales will concentrate on Scottish wekanesses in midfield and i expect us, surprisingly, to bash it up again and again and concentrate on keeping poss; this shoudl favour us as Scottish breakdown is poor...bu to fcourse that is what Ireland did and it seems to trigger a defensive gene in the Scots.....expect the gary owen i guess and our back 3 to attack midfield and, god forbid, some good old fashioned welsh offload

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

sheephead wrote:Im starting to worry a little about how our lineout will cope. We never have one that fills me with confidence. Scotland forced Irelands (normally good) line out struggle. If we can't field position I think we may bleed points. I really don't think the backs are good enough form to run it all the way out. Im a bit nervous. =(

Hibbard had a shaky start last time, but was good after that. AWJ and Evans are both capable of running the lineout and should have the experience to change things if they don't go according to plan. Ryan can serve as a jumper too (he did a fair bit against Italy), Tipuric is a good lineout jumper late in the game and Sam can.

I'm not too worried about the lineout (unless Ken Owens gets on), we might lose a couple - but what Welsh team hasnt.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:24 am

I hope they have worked as hard on the line out the last two weeks, as they had on their scrum after the Paris victory.

AWJ and Warburton add a lot of experience to that line out. Lets hope it works well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:29 am

An Article By Sam Warburton for the Telegraph.

8 Mar 2013

I cannot say I expected to be back in the Wales team for the Scotland game at Murrayfield on Saturday.

Yes, when I was not released to play in Cardiff Blues’ game at Glasgow last weekend I did wonder whether I might be playing. But it was always at the back of my mind that the same team who beat France and Italy might be picked again, meaning I would be back on the bench.

So there was some surprise when I was selected – surprise, but also plenty of delight. It goes without saying that everybody wants to be in the starting XV.

There is certainly no anger on my part that I will not wear the armband tomorrow. A bit was made of my being at the back of the press conference on Tuesday when captain Ryan Jones and coach Rob Howley spoke about the team announcement.

I was just there to see what was said, as I had to do some press duties afterwards. I thought Rob said some really nice things about me and I thanked him for that afterwards. He has been great throughout, keeping me informed of his thoughts and what he expects of me. At no point has he left me in the dark about where I stand.

All I want to do is play for Wales and ensure they win. I play at my best when I just concentrate on being physical and aggressive, on tackling hard, competing at the breakdown and carrying to good effect. That is what I will be doing tomorrow.

I remember talking to Leigh Halfpenny once about how he had been dropped and that since then he has done absolutely everything – every single bit of extra training he can – to make sure that it does not happen again.

That is how I feel now, even though I missed the France game through injury. I have got that precious jersey back and I do not want to let go of it again.

I obviously know that Justin Tipuric will be desperately trying to get it back from me, but I like that competition. It will keep spurring me on.

Some of the players have been taking the mick a bit in training saying to me and Justin things like: “Shall I stand between you two?” But the truth is that we are always helping and supporting each other. We shared a room together in Rome for the Italy match the other week and spent hours playing Fifa on our iPads and talking football.

He is an Everton fan and, as you may know, I am a Tottenham supporter, so it is fair to say I have got the Premier League bragging rights at the moment.

And let’s hope we as a Wales team have the bragging rights tomorrow. I have been told that we have won our last four away matches in the Six Nations and that we have never won five on the trot away from home. That is a challenge we will relish.

Wales versus Scotland matches are always hyped up as a big battle of the back rows, and tomorrow at Murrayfield looks like being no different.

My first appearance in the Six Nations was against Scotland, when I came off the replacements’ bench in 2010. It was a game we won 31-24, but that was not the whole story.

In the aftermath, most of the pundits in the media suggested that the Scotland back row had the better of the Welsh back row throughout the afternoon.

That is not what you want to hear in my position, so when myself and Dan Lydiate were brought in to play in 2011, we were determined that that would not happen again.

As it was, I had one of my best games for Wales in that match up in Scotland two years ago, winning the man-of-the-match award and making probably one of my best tackles – on centre Nick de Luca – as we won 24-6.

So I will take a lot of confidence into tomorrow’s match, even if I know that this Scotland back row will be as powerful and difficult as any of those previously. Their win over Ireland showed that.

Johnnie Beattie is a really influential carrier at No8 and I have been really impressed by Glasgow’s Rob Harley at blindside flanker. I have never played against him for the Cardiff Blues – for some reason I have never played away at Glasgow in my career – but in the way he grafts and tackles he reminds me quite a bit of Dan.

Kelly Brown, the Scottish captain, is also someone I have got to know a little bit off the field, having been to the RBS Six Nations launch with him this year, as well as the Rugby World Cup draw in London at the end of last year.

I got on really well with him and he has had an excellent tournament so far for Scotland. Keeping him quiet is just one of the challenges waiting for us tomorrow.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6