The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread

+92
Hound_of_Harrow
RDSguru
LordDowlais
Taffineastbourne
Knowsit17
emack2
tatterd
allyt2k
Heaf
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
doctornickolas
Hookisms and Hyperbole
captain carrantuohil
Shifty
Exiledinborders
gregortree
The Bachelor
AlastairW
Geordie
sportform
mystiroakey
Looseheaded
A World Cup and 3 Finals
ironrobson21
cakeordeath
yappysnap
RuggerBoy
EnglishReign
LeinsterFan4life
Barney McGrew did it
kiakahaaotearoa
Breadvan
B91212
nathan
thebluesmancometh
nobbled
t1000advancedprototype
LondonTiger
monty junior
Cari
Duty281
munkian
Glas a du
Liam
Ifandorbut
majesticimperialman
Hood83
Manky-Flanker
Imperialbigdave
beshocked
Pat_Mustard
maestegmafia
welshy6
alexgmacdonald
jimbopip
Tramptastic
caz
Comfort
cp10
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
glamorganalun
reallybored
IanBru
wales606
MacKnocked-on
overlordofthewest
sensisball
lostinwales
George Carlin
TJ1
Morgannwg
21st Century Schizoid Man
R!skysports
GLove39
flyhalffactory
UlstermaninGlasgow
Heuer27
Tattie Scones RRN
100%beefy
Solid8
RDW
NeilyBroon
tigertattie
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
RubyGuby
bsando
96 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread

Post by bsando Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:45 am

First topic message reminder :

SCOTLAND Braveheart vs WALES Wales

Venue: Murrayfield
Date: 9/3/13
Kick-off: 14:30
TV coverage: BBC One
Weather Forecast: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/edinburgh#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1362787200
Ref: Craig Joubert

SCOTLAND
1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Brown
8. Beattie
9. Laidlaw
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Lamont
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Bench: 16. Hall 17. Low 18. Cross 19. Kelock 20. Wilson 21. Prygos 22. Jackson 23. Evans

WALES
1. James
2. Hibbard
3. A. Jones
4. A. W. Jones
5. Evans
6. R. Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens 17. Andrew 18. Mitchell 19. Coombs 20. Tipuric 21. L. Williams 22. Hook 23. S. Williams

Last edited by bsando on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread

Post by Heuer27 Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm

That could spell the return of Dougie Hall. hmm not convinced he's the answer.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs Wales: Match Thread

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm

He still wasn't playing well RDW, and not like Doug Hall played much better in truth. I really think he should've got some time when Al Kellock came on vs Italy. He's ready to make the step up, and he's Scotland's very own Rory Best...

He was blowing out his @rse after 40 mins on Friday as he's been killed at Scotland camp the week before, but he still kept up until 65/70 mins!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Bit harsh to say he played poorly – when he was on we dominated the scrums (down to 14 men aside), won all our lineouts and put in a massive defencive shift – which he was part of.

Yes he was at fault for missing a tackle but lets face it – he was in open space out wide and had Earls running against him, it was inevitable that he would get skinned!

Maybe could have done better for Gilroy’s try but it was a fantastic spin out the tackle – not a massive amount you can do about that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

It's hard to change a winning side but Ford and Lamont are making it easier than it should be.
Scott was exposed a few times last week because Lamont was out of position. This left him with invariably a forward covering laments channel hence the gaps.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I disagree with the poster who said posession is key - I believe wales will be happy for Scotland to have posession and then will look for the quick turnover. This is based on a strong welsh defence and how we have tried to play for the past 4 years under gatland thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Unfortunately he sold the jerseys on three occasions which I don't think is acceptable for an international standard player. If he is going to put himself in the backs to tackle then he should have the ability to tackle. Or get fitter/leaner so he's at the breakdown and not walking around in the backs when the opposition come calling.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I think we’re gonna see very little changes, irrespective of all our debating!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes I think it will be the status quo. Although there are some who's coats are on a shoogly peg.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I disagree with the poster who said posession is key - I believe wales will be happy for Scotland to have posession and then will look for the quick turnover. This is based on a strong welsh defence and how we have tried to play for the past 4 years under gatland thumbsup

Possession in the right places is Ruby Wink

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Staus Quo - That would be Down Down Deeper and Down then thumbsup Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Personally looking for some ac/dc. So we can send the welsh back in black. Fingers crossed.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Have a Nice Day - Stereophonics thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm

I always remember the 2010 daylight robbery in Cardiff, when Shane Williams got that try that won Wales the match, they played the stereophonics & tam Jones - mamma told me not to come.....

No sheet sherlock! vomit
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Well I would walk 1000 miles to see that Shane try again thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I always remember the 2010 daylight robbery in Cardiff, when Shane Williams got that try that won Wales the match, they played the stereophonics & tam Jones - mamma told me not to come.....

No sheet sherlock! vomit

Still one of the worst days in my life - we lose a game like that, Tom Evans almost dies, Mossy has one of his internal organs cut in half (still don't understand that!), Godman and Lawson's yellow cards...

It was a dark, dark day. Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:47 pm

If ever there was a case of waiting for the fat lady - that was it - Feck, she was on stage, microphone in hand and had cleared her throat thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm

RubyGuby wrote:If ever there was a case of waiting for the fat lady - that was it - Feck, she was on stage, microphone in hand and had cleared her throat thumbsup

Leave Charlotte out of this

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Charlotte is welcome to my microphone Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I always remember the 2010 daylight robbery in Cardiff, when Shane Williams got that try that won Wales the match, they played the stereophonics & tam Jones - mamma told me not to come.....

No sheet sherlock! vomit

Still one of the worst days in my life - we lose a game like that, Tom Evans almost dies, Mossy has one of his internal organs cut in half (still don't understand that!), Godman and Lawson's yellow cards...

I am more than twice your age and I also can say it was one of my worse rugby moments, at one point we were looking to be more than twenty points ahead going into the second half......Losing Evans and Mossy who were so influential in the first twenty minutes completely threw us off tangent, "Bling" Byrnes "trip that never was" then losing Godman and Lawson NIGHTMARE
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:58 pm

I really don't think that sort of capitulation would happen under Johnson and Ryan. Evna sinjury aside it was a storybook ending for Wales and a Scots side at their lowest ebb

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

No sheet sherlock! vomit

Still shudder thinking about that game, painful doesn't do it justice. Also Lee Byrne doing his best Tom Daley impression furious

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I still say Byrne should have been cited for his act

Mind you, I suppose Karma came back and bit him on the ass

Still gutted for Evans. One hell of a bright talent. And now he has been dumped by that shlapper Kelly Brooke.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm

tigertattie wrote:

And now he has been dumped by that shlapper Kelly Brooke.

My sympathy for him for that one is very low, cause he had her in the first place!! Erm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I still wonder how different Scotland's current situation would be if they'd won that game. Anyway I expect he'll pick the same team maybe with Murray and Barclay in, I'd like to see Weir given a chance but I expect he'll keep the average one trick pony that is Jackson.

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

123456789 wrote:I still wonder how different Scotland's current situation would be if they'd won that game. Anyway I expect he'll pick the same team maybe with Murray and Barclay in, I'd like to see Weir given a chance but I expect he'll keep the average one trick pony that is Jackson.

Careful - you will get a FES essay shortly :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:41 pm

I would certainly consider replacing Lamont. Too often there have been clean breaks through his channel. In all 3 games, that is where they make breaks

I really do not think he has the positional play engrained enough

Barclay coming in would be psotive as well, as the breakdwon still needs work

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:My team would probably be:

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Cross (agree that he's done enough to keep his place)
4. Gray
5. Hamilton (never been his biggest fan but he has earned his place)
6. Brown
7. Barclay (I actually feel bad for dropping Harley but we need an openside)
8. Beattie

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson (only just, Weir is breathing down his neck though, he needs a strong first half performance otherwise he should be subbed off early)

11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Dunbar (Shlong as a impact sub)
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Bench
16. McArthur (Hall was fairly mediocre against Ireland and this lad deserves his chance)
17. Welsh
18. Low
19. Kellock
20. Harley
21. Pyrgos
22. Weir
23. Lamont

Hall was fairly weak v Ireland - were you watching the same game on Sunday. It was Hall who tackled BOD under the posts and put in another number of shuddering tackles + his throwing was as accurate as ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Byrne is a great ambassador of the sport. Leave it out Scots.

p.s. Mike Phillips to have a stormer.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Byrne is a great ambassador of the sport. Leave it out Scots.

Which sport? Gymnastics? Diving? Football? Ballet?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:07 pm

In the game under discussion Byrne dived and had a player carded. he is thus a cheat.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Still bitter and in denial after all these years, leads me to picard.

Unless you were joking, then Yahoo.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 pm

I hate Lee Byrne with a bloody passion. At Firhill a few seasons ago he was getting pelters from The Warriors faithful after the Thom Evans incident and then wimped out after getting injured (zip wrong with him imho). Jeered like feck by everyone - even Hairsprays . A total c***

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:17 pm

I think Wales 2010/2011 were quite a dirty side at times. I certainly went off Wales during that period after always loving to watch them play since I saw them having a good go at it in the 2003 World Cup. But the side now are much better in terms of naughty tactics and have some fantastic players who could definitely be regarded as role models for youngsters. Byrne, Henson, Powell.. All these guys were just idiots at times and in my opinion darkened Welsh rugby.

But the current team are fantastic and I am really looking forward to the game next weekend! It would be fantastic to witness a modern version of one of those classic 5n Wales vs Scotland games Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Beefy - I don't think Laidlaw would dare kick away so much possession in this game. His box kicking is excellent but it put a hell of a lot of pressure on us. We need to start recycling through the phases better and putting the ball in Rhubarb's hands, which hopefully will happen with Barclay slotting back in, letting each of the Bs do what they do best. If Wales think that kicking ball to our back three is a good idea, then they are very welcome to see what happens if they do.

Dunbar has been playing beautifully and Weir scored a try and smacked over 20-odd points in his his last club game but I think that replacing either Schlong or Rhubarb is a step too far for Johnson. Slamont will be needed for his defensive biff. It's worth noting if you're Welsh that our centres are each 6'2" and 15 stone so I remain to be convinced about the defensive 'weaknesses' that have apparently been spotted.

All comes down to whether Johnson picks Barclay or not. Seems ludicrous to suggest that one selection could be so important. But it is.

Ruby - please note that I did not make a single cheese on toast joke in this post. OK Now that's cross-cultural respect, young man.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 pm

GLove39 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Byrne is a great ambassador of the sport. Leave it out Scots.

Which sport? Gymnastics? Diving? Football? Ballet?

You forgot kickboxing..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 pm

just keep up this carp about Byrne for another week fellas....never knew 606 attracted such a bunch og whinging old ladies

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 am

For me there are three obvious and necessary changes if we are to have a decent chance against Wales. Jackson simply cant be allowed to start. Thes reason he only got the ball 6 times against Ireland is that Laidlaw is clever enough to know that his kicking game isnt good enough at the top level. Not only is Weir a much more confident and accurate kicker he also has a lot more range to his kicks. He also defends his channel better than Jacko.

Mike Blair's analysis of the Ireland game was also telling, Scotland hardly ever got the ball past two phases before kicking away possession because of Lamont's inabality to pass. To be fair he did pass once to Maitland although he was running directly along side him!

Although Visser didnt actually miss any tackles against ireland he needed an assist from another player or two to actually stop his opponent. He is simply too passive and Wales will target him all day long.

If Jacko starts he will kick badly to their back three and with defenesive frailties at 13 ( because Lamont isnt a centre) and at 11 ( because Visser doent like getting his shirt dirty)
I suspect Wales will win by 10 to 15.

My team would be
Grant
Hall
Murray
Gray
Hamillton
Brown
Harley
Beattie

Ladlaw
Weir
Lamont
Scott
Dunbar
Maitland
Hogg

MacArthur
Cross
Welsh
Kellock
Barclay
Pyrgos
Jackson
Visser

Game plan: Try and play some phases as well as territory. Dunbar has the same size and power provided by Lamont but with the abiity to link with his back three. Lamont is a natural winger and a good defender out wide, forcing Wales infield back towards our forwards where we may get an edge.

As the game opens up bring on Barclay to try and win some turn overs as their defence tires. Beattie will probably have run himself into the ground by 60 and i would move Brown to 8 and move the ginger machine to his best role at 6.
Kellock isnt really a great impact sub but i think MacArthur could be a great ball carrier and Kellock's presence will help him settle into his first game.

Cross had an excellent game and will be fine coming off the bench. Although Grant has been outstanding Welsh would bring even more power, if a little less pace, to the front row.
His scrum perfromance against Italy last year was outstanding and he actually won us a couple of pens at scrums. Could be crucial if the game is still tight.
Visser is a good option to bring on if we need a try in the closing stages.
With the right selections this could be a cracker.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 am

100%beefy wrote:just keep up this carp about Byrne for another week fellas....never knew 606 attracted such a bunch og whinging old ladies
No way we'll do that Beefy. We talked quite enough about the pathetic, cynical, cheating, unsportsmanlike donkey a year ago. OK

No sirreebob - nothing but sweetness and light from us. We rise above it, you see. kiss
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 am

George Carlin wrote:
100%beefy wrote:just keep up this carp about Byrne for another week fellas....never knew 606 attracted such a bunch og whinging old ladies
No way we'll do that Beefy. We talked quite enough about the pathetic, cynical, cheating, unsportsmanlike donkey a year ago. OK

No sirreebob - nothing but sweetness and light from us. We rise above it, you see. kiss

What!! us go on and on and on...... and on about how "Bling" Byrne tripped over his own dark covertly cheating shadow and rolled around like a continental footballer shouting "cum on ref he hurt my manicured tootsies" gagging for a penalty and in such an unjustifiably way cause an opposing repeat that..... an opposing player!! to be sent to the sin bin thus changing the face of the game and probably the result..........

No No No we would never harp back to past losses and blame a cheating little toerag for it...... Good grief whatever next Whistle
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:17 am

Absolutely, Fly. And there's no way I'd ever mention that one of the pubs in Woodlands Road in Glasgow still has pictures of "Greg Louganis" Byrne in the male urinals for aiming purposes. Never seen cleaner loo floors, though.

No way - the scar tissue is now smooth so let's say no more about the posturing, crapulent little schoolgirl from Slytherin house. We'll have Words with anyone of a different view. Words, I tell ye ... boxing
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am

Wow. Im really glad you guys don't hold any bad feelings towards Lee Byrne. At least no one can be accused of holding a grudge.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 am

Fantastic interview with Laidlaw here:

Laidlaw has been key to Scotland bouncing back from the Tonga defeat, helping them to two Six Nations wins

IN THE analysis of what went down at Murrayfield last Sunday, many things have been explored. The profligacy of the Irish, for sure. The doggedness of the defence from the home team. Scotland’s strong scrum and lineout, Kelly Brown’s leadership as opposed to Jamie Heaslip’s. The wildly contrasting statistics. A hundred things and, buried among them without the prominence it deserved, was the fact that Greig Laidlaw had four shots at goal and nailed every one of them. On a day of tiny margins, the nerveless scrum-half did what his opposite number could not do.

We are sitting in a Melrose cafe on Friday morning and Laidlaw is speaking softly and unassumingly, but there is a toughness here that is unmissable, a winner’s mentality in that frame. Size doesn’t matter. For the longest time he’s been hearing how small he is and his attitude is simple. “F*** that,” he says. “It doesn’t matter how big I am, it’s how you chuck it about that counts.” He reckons that there’s a frustrated No.8 inside him somewhere. No.8 would be his ideal position. If he could die and come back to life he’d reappear at the back of a scrum and carry the ball hard into rival forwards all day long. “That would be great. Run about and hit people. Sounds good to me.”

Strange times, these. A year ago, everything was rosy in his club life and everything was grim on the Test scene. Now everything’s in reverse. Edinburgh are in a hole and Laidlaw is annoyed. “Really annoyed. It’s not good enough. We’re not bad players and the difference between us and Glasgow is minimal and yet they’re doing tremendously well and we’re not. The boys are in a bad place. So many defeats, but you need to pick yourself up and go again. They need to dust themselves down, push their chests out and show some confidence. We’ve got to change some stuff. In fairness, we’re changing it already because we can’t have another season like this one.”

He shakes his head in frustration. Just as well that there is something optimistic to talk about instead. Something that is putting a smile on his face, something that happened last Sunday that people are still trying to figure out. He’s watched the match again and knows that Scotland stole it, but, if anything, that just made it sweeter. There won’t be another game like that, he says. “We wanted to win and we wanted to win the respect of the Irish boys as well. We probably never gave them reason to respect us in the recent past. Unless you beat them you can’t expect respect from them, so hopefully they’ll think more of us now.”

This is a theme that has been a constant throughout Scotland’s championship, a dose of reality behind the scenes that has made Scotland steelier. Home truths have become an essential part of their make-up now. It is a mantra preached by interim head coach Scott Johnson and forwards coach Dean Ryan, with Laidlaw one of the disciples.

“I think we get overlooked as a team [by pundits outside Scotland] but I think we’ve given people reason to overlook us. We’ve been a Jekyll and Hyde side. If we can change that psyche then everybody will come around to thinking that we’re not a walkover. Wales will fancy their chances on Saturday but I don’t think they’ll be looking forward to coming up here now. They’ll know that they’re coming to play a hard game of rugby and maybe in the past they haven’t felt like that. Maybe they felt before that it wouldn’t too tough against us – and too often it hasn’t been.”

Laidlaw is pondering a question about what has changed, from the despair of the Tonga defeat last autumn to the situation they’re now in. Perhaps it’s the fact that they’re harder on themselves and central to that attitude is a realisation that it’s too early to be talking about corners being turned. “We haven’t cracked it and we know that. We’ve won two games of rugby but, if we lose the next two, we’re not looking so good, so there’s nobody getting carried away. We’re not stupid. Wales have a team that could really do damage and from [tonight] we’ll be back at the grindstone. We need to drive on now.”

Still he looks back at Tonga and the memory of a day that still motivates him. “I don’t think we were soft that day but, when we took the field, we got beaten in the areas we needed to win, like the tackle contest. So we were maybe soft in that sense. All credit to Tonga, but that was a disaster for us. They battered us. The lowest feeling ever. The worst. The changing room was mayhem, boys crying and people saying where do we go from here. We knew we’d let down the jersey, let down the country. Andy [Robinson] said afterwards that a game like that is a coach killer. We’d come off the back of a good tour and maybe went into it thinking we’d already beaten Fiji and Samoa away so it won’t be that hard a game and they caught us on the hop. It was unacceptable. Totally unacceptable. But you use the memory of it. It’s a horrible memory.”

That defeat typified the rot that had set in within the squad, a mental and physical frailty that Johnson and Ryan are rooting out. Johnson’s a character, no question. His players don’t know what’s coming next with him. Laidlaw says he “takes the mick” out of them in training and is like a dog with a bone when he sees them doing something wrong. If he sees a player who’s just standing about and not doing what he’s supposed to be doing he’ll halt things and say ‘You might as well be holding a STOP sign for all the good you’re doing there’. All week he’ll remind the player about his STOP sign. ‘You bringing it to the game, mate? Are you gonna leave it at home?’ Laidlaw says it’s done with humour but the message behind it is clear.

“Scott has lightened the mood in a sense, but, when you’re working, he’s straight to the point. If you do something wrong he’ll go through you and he’ll keep on at you through the week. Boys don’t like that. He’s just embarrassing boys and you don’t want to be embarrassed. I think he’s magic.”

Would Scotland have been able to hang in there against Ireland a year ago? Would they have had the fortitude to fight back? Laidlaw doesn’t think so. He’s sure they’d have lost.

Part of the reason they won is down to the forwards and the work Ryan is doing. Laidlaw says that Ryan rarely smiles when he’s talking about rugby and that’s fine by him. He says, as scrum-half, he’s 50 per cent forward and sits in on all the forwards meetings so he knows the dynamic up front and sees the way that Ryan has challenged his pack.

“After Italy he sat there and said, ‘Right, you won a game and we’re blowing smoke up each other’s arses here and that’s all well and good, but can you beat Ireland? Because you haven’t done it in the past, have you? You haven’t been good enough’.

“Ryan’s doctrine is simple. Rugby is not all that complicated. It’s about winning collisions, it about winning breakdowns, it’s about hitting people hard and then building on top of the foundations. We have a long way to go. Scott and Dean will tell us that when we get back in camp [today], but we know it. It’s bwrilliant that we’re at home again, but Wales will be a huge test. They’re back in form. It was a horrible day in Italy but Wales played well, played in the right areas and avoided a banana skin. They’ve got very good players but we’ve got dangerous runners as well. It’s just a question of getting the ball to them.”

The ones he’s talking about are Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland and Tim Visser, but also Matt Scott, a centre who is emerging well this season. “Matty’s coming on in leaps and bounds and just needs to keep coming out of his shell and take games by the scruff of the neck because he’s got all the ability. He needs to impose himself on games. He’s quiet and that’s something I’ve tried to help him with at Edinburgh. Scott [Johnson] has his opinions as well. Matt is one that he likes to embarrass in that motivational way of his. I can’t remember some of the analogies he uses for Matt, but he’s always on at him because he knows he has the class. Matt is learning all the time. At the start he was a bit shy coming in, he was thinking ‘I’m a young boy I shouldn’t be saying anything’. I keep telling him, ‘Matty, keep speaking, son. Just keep speaking’. He can make the guys round about him look good when he’s in full flight.”

After so many dark days, the skies are brightening. There is a new focus in this Scotland team and as long as it remains then they have a chance and they know it. “Winning games of rugby makes me tick. That’s what I’m all about. I love it. Especially at Murrayfield. When you come in afterwards and you know you’ve done yourself proud, your family proud, your jersey proud, there is an elation but also a relief. It’s good to see the boys happy in a Scotland jersey but more important to remember why it happened.”

He's fast becoming one of my favourite Scotland players - he's got the heart of a Lion and is such an important player for the team. Gives a great incite into Johnson and Ryan too! I like the STOP sign banter - might use that!

Would love it if Laidlaw made the Lions - I think it would only happen if someone got injured, but I think he would thrive in that environment and would be an excellent tourist.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:45 am

Great interview - one of our most important players without a doubt. Johnson's been smart with Laidlaw and I think judges him right - effectively saying that Laidlaw's smarts and game management compensates for his relative lack of physicality. He respects anyone who knows his strengths and weaknesses.

More than any other player I've seen around today, if Laidlaw was behind a front foot pack (like at Glasgow) he would have a field day.

However: "...the difference between us and Glasgow is minimal and yet they’re doing tremendously well and we’re not". Unfortunately, Greggy, that's not quite true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Duncan Taylor playing for Sarries at inside centre today. I'll be interested to see how he gets on, hopefully a summer tour for him!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Taylor is playing fairly solidly, his support play is good. Certainly expect him to tour in the summer after his good debut for Scotland A.
Heathcote played well for Bath on Friday night, the commentators are very impressed with him and even expect him to figure as a possible Lion in four years time. I think he'll go on to win a lot of Scotland caps.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Taylor is playing fairly solidly, his support play is good. Certainly expect him to tour in the summer after his good debut for Scotland A.
Heathcote played well for Bath on Friday night, the commentators are very impressed with him and even expect him to figure as a possible Lion in four years time. I think he'll go on to win a lot of Scotland caps.

Aye I expect him to push Jackson out soon, I suspect next season we'll see something like Weir and Heathcote if Weir keeps improving his Glasgow form.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Scotland have been able to score tries this tournement, and that has given them confidence, However, would say that bar that first half against Ireland, Wales have the best defence in the tournement and Scotland will not get the interception tries they got against Italy or the poor defence they saw in twickernam.

It should be an interesting game to see if Scotland have turned a corner, but I have seen the same time and time again and Scotland havent managed a string results to prove it. Until last week, 4Scotland hadn't won back to back 6Ns games in 1 season since the 90s - So it will be a significant improvement if they can make it in a row now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:40 pm

wales606 wrote:Scotland have been able to score tries this tournement, and that has given them confidence, However, would say that bar that first half against Ireland, Wales have the best defence in the tournement and Scotland will not get the interception tries they got against Italy or the poor defence they saw in twickernam.

It should be an interesting game to see if Scotland have turned a corner, but I have seen the same time and time again and Scotland havent managed a string results to prove it. Until last week, 4Scotland hadn't won back to back 6Ns games in 1 season since the 90s - So it will be a significant improvement if they can make it in a row now.

I agree Wales606, the Ireland game didn't convince me, I thought we were incredibly lucky.

If Scotland can beat Wales convincingly then I can safely say we have turned a corner. If we beat Wales and France we'll finally be looking up to our potential. Either way I can't wait to find out! Should be a cracker (if it's dry)!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

wales606 wrote:Scotland have been able to score tries this tournement, and that has given them confidence, However, would say that bar that first half against Ireland, Wales have the best defence in the tournement and Scotland will not get the interception tries they got against Italy or the poor defence they saw in twickernam.
It's not really up for debate - Wales do have the best defence in the tournament. They haven't conceded a try in about 200 minutes of gameplay.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

3 tries so far, and hopefully no more. That matches last years no. of tries conceded. The defence against France was something else.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next