The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3

+31
Duty281
dancingweeman
TM Moot
sportform
Statto00
Skyforger
Captain Charisma
bluestonevedder
RDuncan8
southernniner
Forward Pass
mikeygnfl
Lowlandbrit
twelve283
Thomond
Dorothy_Mantooth
sodhat
Colan (niner)
Bull
Pr4wn
Number-25
NYJ
JmD
Take it to the house
CFCNick
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
crazy_dave23
BamBam
Derbyblue
35 posters

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3 - Page 14 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3

Post by Derbyblue Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

GSC wrote:Eagles traded Dion Lewis to Cleveland for Emmanuel Acho. Decent backup Lewis, just not as good as Brown.
Basically depth for depth, though I did think we were fine at RB with Richardson, Hardesty and Ogbonnaya but Acho wouldn't have fit the new 3-4 scheme so can't really complain about the deal too much and maybe one of those back ups gets sent off in a trade somewhere during the draft.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3 - Page 14 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm not saying that Harrell is good by any stretch of the imagination, but have you seen his college numbers? They are absolutely ridiculous.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3 - Page 14 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3

Post by mikeygnfl Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Riley Cooper is back training with the Eagles.

It's good to see a full set of fixtures for the weekend back up on the nfl.com homepage.

Also noticed that bleacherreport has its own UK based site now.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I'm not saying that Harrell is good by any stretch of the imagination, but have you seen his college numbers? They are absolutely ridiculous.
Of course they are, he played for Mike Leach his whole career. Not many pro teams running the Air Raid though.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I'm not saying that Harrell is good by any stretch of the imagination, but have you seen his college numbers? They are absolutely ridiculous.
Of course they are, he played for Mike Leach his whole career. Not many pro teams running the Air Raid though.

Still thought that considering his undenialbly succesful college career, a pro team would have drafted him. Especially when you consider what terrible quarterbacks with far worse college stats have been drafted in the first round.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Riley Coopers back at practice with cornrows apparently.

Hes more black than RG3 at this point.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Check out this draft I'm doing with Giants fans on NFLUK. I just drafted Martellus Bennett in the 14th round!!!

http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=97502

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Still thought that considering his undenialbly succesful college career, a pro team would have drafted him. Especially when you consider what terrible quarterbacks with far worse college stats have been drafted in the first round.
Case Keenum didn't get drafted either, NFL doesn't like 'gimmick' system QBs.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Chase Daniels
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 am

Danario Alexander has a torn ACL

Poor guy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 am

Danario Alexander was born with a torn ACL
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 am

That's the fourth time for him...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Ouch! Poor thunder and lighting, he's used a keeper spot on him over in the keeper league.

I feel an appeal to Crazy Dave coming on.....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Number-25 wrote:Ouch! Poor thunder and lighting, he's used a keeper spot on him over in the keeper league.

I feel an appeal to Crazy Dave coming on.....

hmm yes... interesting one there. Me and F.P. were at one stage talking about a mulligan on one pick if they got a season ending injury after being kept. I don't think we ever followed it up.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Evening guys. sorry to post here

But is there anybody who never got a spot on the 606v2 Fantasy league interested in joining mine? I set a league up and most people have bailed, or anybody who is interested in a second team? Need 5 people

Also don't know if was mentioned but Seabass has signed anew deal in Oak town. Our best player by far which is quite tragic really

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 am

Good noises coming out of training camp about the Pats WR's, especially Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce. Sudfeld at TE seems to be making the team, maybe ahead of Ballard. Amendola has clicked with Brady, just needs to stay fit. Ras-I-Dowling is injured (shock)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 am

They're practicing against the Eagles DBs dont get too excited.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am

I'm getting excited because we're throwing the ball more than 15 yards downfield!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:57 am

Hi gazzy, what format is the league and when is the draft?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Its just one of the keeper leagues on espn

havent decided on draft yet as need to fill the league lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm keen then. Pm me the details.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:36 pm

gazzyD wrote:Its just one of the keeper leagues on espn

havent decided on draft yet as need to fill the league lol
Ask NYJ by PM, he wanted to join the mains leagues but couldn't find a spot as everyone has returned.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 am

Nah, I've got far too many leagues now.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I've finished watching 49ers pre season game vs Broncos and when will Jenkins step up! Good news is I've watched 4 pre season games this week and out of 8 teams, the player that impressed me most was a niner. And I'm shocked to say it was Corey Lemonier, guy is an athletic freak in mold of Aldon Smith in body type and he will be scary addition in third down role Aldon served his rookie year. Eric Reid also looked lights out and shut down run with ease but wasn't tested much in coverage. Okoye need to learn still which is expected, looked lost

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:19 am

Just having a look at last night's preseason games and waiting for the Eagles vs Patriots game. Should be interesting.

Ogletree had some good catches for the Bucs. Not to impressed with Glennon. Giovani Bernard was given a good run out and got a TD. Brandon Weeden looked good. Chris Johnson scored a 58 yard TD. Will this be his year? Kirk Cousins looks good if RG3 doesn't make the start of the season. Kaepernick was 4 from 4. Colt McCoy threw an interception. Let's hope the Kaep stays fit. Eric Reid looked ok.

Can Tarvaris Jackson beat out Russel Wilson in Seattle? Smile Christine Michael had a load of carries.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:39 am

The Patriots are running straight through the Eagles defence in the opening drive. Nice reaction from Eagles with Vick to Jackson TD. Mark Sanchez has thrown an interception against the Lions which was returned for a TD by Ansah. NFL's back and not much changes.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am

Blount was a beast last night it seems
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:19 am

Blount is terrible when up against a team that can tackle, trust me.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:22 am

That's when Timmy T comes in Cool 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Watched the first half of Patriots @ Eagles

Blount is an effective power back. He's limited in other areas but a proven commodity in that role.

Dante Scarnecchia has work to do with the backup OL.

It was good to see Kenbrell Tompkins and Aaron Dobson get involved with the offense and for the most part they did what was asked of them even if it wasn't highlight stuff, except for the one bad drop by Dobson.

It looks like we might have a very effective DT duo in Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly. This makes me Very Happy 

It was fun to watch Tim Tebow run the option, even if I don't really want to take the ball out of Brady's hands too often.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Our defense sucks, I wouldn't get overly excited
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:52 pm

GSC wrote:Our defense sucks, I wouldn't get overly excited
You mean LeGarrette Blount reversing a run play and then cutting it back again for a 51 yard touchdown wont be a common occurrence? Wink 

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Not unless he plays the Eagles every week Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 pm

twelve283 wrote:Watched the first half of Patriots @ Eagles

Blount is an effective power back. He's limited in other areas but a proven commodity in that role.  

It was good to see Kenbrell Tompkins and Aaron Dobson get involved with the offense and for the most part they did what was asked of them even if it wasn't highlight stuff, except for the one bad drop by Dobson.

It looks like we might have a very effective DT duo in Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly. This makes me Very Happy 

It was fun to watch Tim Tebow run the option, even if I don't really want to take the ball out of Brady's hands too often.
Kenbrell Tompkins is a bit of an idiot, only guy I've ever cancelled an interview with, reallly wasn't keen on him at all. And I think I'm not the only one that feels that way about him

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:

Kenbrell Tompkins is a bit of an idiot, only guy I've ever cancelled an interview with, reallly wasn't keen on him at all. And I think I'm not the only one that feels that way about him
I've read Tompkins' backstory so it doesn't surprise me that the interview didn't go so smooth, just as long as he doesn't travel down the same path as Aaron Hernandez...

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:14 pm

twelve283 wrote:
Colan (niner) wrote:

I've read Tompkins' backstory so it doesn't surprise me that the interview didn't go so smooth, just as long as he doesn't travel down the same path as Aaron Hernandez...

To be fair I don't know his situation as such, just found him quite ignorant and arrogant in the small amount of time we spoke. A surprise because other people rep'd by same agency like Kayvon Webster were gents

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3 - Page 14 IYSreeAwNMcZs

Gisele won't be happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Landry Jones's first play in the NFL

Runs into the RB and ends up in a safety

Sanchez-esque
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 am

Sanchez still outdid him by getting picked off by a rookie lineman on his first play of 2013.

Hats off to Terelle Pryor from me too. The guy is a fighter and he's developing into a decent player. His pick in the endzone was appalling but the drive up to it, and the drive after shows he's not a lost cause.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:51 am

Olly wrote:Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread Part 3 - Page 14 IYSreeAwNMcZs

Gisele won't be happy
Ha! Please tell me there's more of a story to this. Who is she?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 am

Mo Wilkerson getting some love. Always welcome...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/23135188/young-d-line-star-wilkerson-becoming-just-what-new-jets-want

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Muhammad Wilkerson is the embodiment of the Jets' vision for the future. A young, dynamic and cheap (at least for now) defensive end who symbolizes the organization's goal of rebuilding from the trenches out under new general manager John Idzik and holdover coach Rex Ryan.

This outfit was defined by outspoken leaders like Bart Scott and big personalities like Darrelle Revis and annual boasts of Super Bowl rings or sideshow contract holdouts and a general circus-like atmosphere. Now Wilkerson, an understated but budding superstar, personifies what the team's brass hopes it means to be a Jet moving forward. He is, for them, one of their rare recent high draft picks to pay immediate dividends, he is becoming the leader of what could be an outstanding defensive line, and he's built for the long term; Wilkerson is entering his third-season but won't turn 24 until Week 8.

If Wilkerson, who has freakish ability at 6-4, 315, has the type of breakthrough season I expect -- and, for those paying close attention, he was quietly stellar for this floundering team in 2012 -- then by this time next year he will be the face of this franchise, the focus of much more attention, and I figure, the benefactor of a fat new contract with something like $40 million guaranteed. He is that good, and those around here know it.

"I knew my assignments my rookie year, but I wasn't playing too fast, though," Wilkerson said, "where I could say last year I really was comfortable, and I knew what I was doing and I was playing fast. I was setting people up with moves -- making them think I was going to do one thing; then doing the opposite. It wasn't really my rookie year, it was last year me being more comfortable and playing faster."

Without the fanfare that has surrounded his fellow 2011 rookies -- and it should be noted that guys like Miller and Smith are in schemes that allow them to regularly attack the quarterback and are surrounded by some premier talent in their front seven, luxuries Wilkerson hasn't enjoyed -- Wilkerson has been beyond effective.

His role is more akin to what Watt does, what Haloti Ngata does in Baltimore (Ryan was with the Ravens when they drafted Ngata), what Calais Campbell does in Arizona -- guys who are 3-4 defensive ends in hybrid schemes that will move them around. He compares very favorably, as according to various statistical references, he had an almost identical number of snaps as a run defender and pass rusher last season (455/472), had just three missed tackles and his 11 third-down tackles were as many as Ngata and Campbell combined.

Watt is obviously the best when it comes to batting down passes, but Wilkerson had five "big plays" in 2012 -- three forced fumbles, one blocked kick and one TD return, while Watt had four forced fumbles but did not register the other categories. Watt was ridiculous, with 76 combined sacks, hurries, and quarterback hits, though Wilkerson's 37 compares very favorably to Campbell (39) and Ngata (38), players who both average $11 million or more a year.

"I do feel like those are the guys who are always mentioned -- the J.J. Watts, Aldon Smith, Von Miller," Wilkerson said. "Some of those guys have a different game from me, but I feel like overall I have everything I need. I can stop the run and get after the passer.

"Those guys definitely have more sack numbers than me, but there's so much other than sacks, and I think I'm neck and neck with those guys. I know I'm up there with them. I really don't care about not being mentioned with them. I know the style of play I'm capable of doing, and I just have to put it out there on the field."

This defensive staff believes there are more sacks to be had by Wilkerson, and the combination of scheme and talent around him should help. Sheldon Richardson, 22, the Jets first 2013 first-round pick, looks like he could be a transcendent player as well, already, perhaps a Geno Atkins in the making. So imagine Seymour and Atkins in their prime in their mid-20s, playing side-by-side, and then factor in that nose tackle Kenrick Ellis, 25, battling some back issues in camp, wedged between them, a 365-pound anchor Ryan is very high on, and you can see the potential for greatness. That should help sustain a pedestrian linebacker group a secondary very much in transition for Revis and LaRon Landry gone.

"Right now we feel like the D line is the strength of our team," Thurman said, "and with the guys we've added the last three years it should be. If they stay together they could be really, really special."

And Wilkerson's focus is on the entirety of his group, its youth and potential. "It's about all of them as group, and that's the way he wants it," Ryan said. "Obviously, Mo is going to get a ton of attention and accolades and all that stuff, but he's all about his guys. That's kind of neat about this young man; he doesn't seek it."

Undoubtedly, it runs counter to the brash Jets of the recent past, a past that Idzik's steady hand has helped usher out and gain distance from. The torrent of bad contracts and cap problems the general manager inherited will be behind him as well, come 2014 when Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez could well be gone, and guys like David Harris won't be making $11 million a year anymore.

It stands to reason that the first significant contract Idzik executes with the Jets will be a long-term extension for Wilkerson next year, and given the understated tone this organization is now taking, there would be no better place to start.

"I think Mo will be that face-of-the-franchise guy for them," said Bills defensive line coach Anthony Weaver, who worked with the Jets defensive line in 2012. "And I think he has the confidence to be that guy and he works hard every day and the people around him listen to his voice and they respect how he works and what he says.

"Mo is great, so great to coach. He puts in the work, he's such a tremendous talent and the way he moves for a guy his size is unreal. He has such a high football IQ. He's a very good player, and as the years pile on and he g
ets even more knowledge of the game he's going to be truly great."
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm

The BBC isnt doing any radio or TV coverage of the NFL this season apparantly.

What a load of rubbish
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Olly wrote:The BBC isnt doing any radio or TV coverage of the NFL this season apparantly.

What a load of rubbish
You know this how? This wouldn't be good

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Darren Fletcher and Greg Brady have both tweeted about it Dave.

Laughable if true. One of the fastest growing sports over here, with the league clearly wanting to bring a team over here and the national broadcaster cuts all the coverage of it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Redskins rookie Safety Phillip Thomas is out for the season. Damn! Safety play was our biggest weakness last season and while he most likely wouldn't have started straight away, the Strong Safety job was his to win at some point later in the season. Very disappointing.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:41 pm

According to the NFL on 5 live facebook it's just radio coverage that's being dropped.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Charisma Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Brady hurt his knee in practice about 20 mins ago.

And all of Patriot nation holds it's breath.

As a Jet fan i'm just wondering if they'd trade him ala Revis?? Shocked Ok! 

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 pm

He'll be alright
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Probably fair enough for the beeb. Its not big enough over here for them to devote that much coverage outside the London game and SB
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Wow, is there anything the Patriots won't do to find a spot for Tebow? Whistle

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm resigned to Brady going down with a season ending injury in Week 2, Mallett coming in and sucking and by Week 6 Tebow is the starting QB and at this point I expect America to disappear in a puff of fire
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next