The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

+65
Don Alfonso
pbuk0
BlueNote
Geordie
Breadvan
fa0019
Janecory
tecphobe
Sin é
George Hotel1895
Pat_Mustard
Cyril
Kingshu
OzT
markb
yappysnap
littlejohn
rodders
thebluesmancometh
marty2086
Manu's Boxing Coach
Artful_Dodger
neilthom7
GunsGerms
gleesonisgod
BamBam
BelfastDickVet
Knowsit17
trebellbobaggins
PJHolybloke
Jhamer25
Taffineastbourne
GLove39
kingjohn7
wales606
flankertye
Ozzy3213
UlstermaninGlasgow
SecretFly
thomh
LondonTiger
Taylorman
wanderingdragon
GloriousEmpire
flyhalffactory
MrsP
Notch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
cakeordeath
red_stag
doctor_grey
Scarpia
Mr Bounce
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
George Carlin
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
Duty281
Coleman
100%beefy
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
maestegmafia
69 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 4 Empty Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Sent off for bad language to the referee Wayne Barnes. Well, this isn't soccer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22668122

Hartley now given an eleven week ban...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22674429

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon May 27, 2013 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 4 Empty Re: Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by GunsGerms Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 pm

At this point I believe that Hartley is not definitively ruled out of the tour isnt that right?

If his appeal is sucessful then he will still tour correct?

I think the only person who knows whether or not his comments were aimed at Barnes is Hartley himself but its way to late for him to be getting the benefit of any doubt so its unlikely he will get off. I must say Im pretty happy about that because either way he is not Lions quality and would be too much of a liability to take to Australia.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 4 Empty Re: Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by SecretFly Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Just a question for all then. Usually a reffing decision is made controversially, 606 gets wind of it and a week (or two week!!!) long dissection of every frame of footage is used to either prove the ref is a saint or a demon.

So............... just what is everone basing their opinions on this time? Was detailed footage shown at any time during the game of the actual bad words incident?

I know that during the game itself (being played live) there certainly wasn't any footage that was used that might prove Hartley's guilt or innocence. There wasn't even footage that suggested anything at all happened. Whatever did happen happened off the camera angles used during the live footage. All I saw was Hartley before he rose from the scrum falldown, and he was patting a Leicester player (I think) as if suggesting the player get up.

But I did then see close up slow motion footage of Hartley standing and uttering the words. Can't find that since the first time I looked at it on ESPN site. Was that shown at a later time in the game or during the half time break?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 am

SecretFly wrote:Just a question for all then. Usually a reffing decision is made controversially, 606 gets wind of it and a week (or two week!!!) long dissection of every frame of footage is used to either prove the ref is a saint or a demon.

So............... just what is everone basing their opinions on this time? Was detailed footage shown at any time during the game of the actual bad words incident?

I know that during the game itself (being played live) there certainly wasn't any footage that was used that might prove Hartley's guilt or innocence. There wasn't even footage that suggested anything at all happened. Whatever did happen happened off the camera angles used during the live footage. All I saw was Hartley before he rose from the scrum falldown, and he was patting a Leicester player (I think) as if suggesting the player get up.

But I did then see close up slow motion footage of Hartley standing and uttering the words. Can't find that since the first time I looked at it on ESPN site. Was that shown at a later time in the game or during the half time break?

No footage was inconclusive. Im am basing my comments on the fact that I dont like him, he didnt deserve to tour and Im glad he wont be.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 am

GunsGerms wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Just a question for all then. Usually a reffing decision is made controversially, 606 gets wind of it and a week (or two week!!!) long dissection of every frame of footage is used to either prove the ref is a saint or a demon.

No footage was inconclusive. Im am basing my comments on the fact that I dont like him, he didnt deserve to tour and Im glad he wont be.
kind of hard to disagree with you on that

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dylan-Hartley-Lions-Shirt-Never-Warn-/111082425748?pt=UK_Rugby_Shirts&hash=item19dd074d94

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 am

Janecory wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dylan-Hartley-Lions-Shirt-Never-Warn-/111082425748?pt=UK_Rugby_Shirts&hash=item19dd074d94

Can follow the link in work. I assume that this is just a joke and he isnt really selling his shirt.

In any case if in the unlikely case he sucessfully appeals the ban he will still tour wont he? Has he actually been dropped? I dont think he has.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 am

censored

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 am

From what Gatland has said I get the feeling that perhaps he was in favour of taking Best in the first place but Rowntree convinced him to take Hartley.

He has said that he expect Best to compete for a test spot
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 28, 2013 1:39 am

The plot thickens. Gatland phones Barnes: "Look, you...I know we probably don't get on but are you behind the Lions this year? Coz if you are, I'll need a favour................ Now, you're reffing the AP final, I hear. So here's what I want you do......."

Oh damn it!!! The tape recorder has run out of batteries..... Sorry Daily Mail. Guess the rest.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 am

Six nations citing committee take note.

Harsh words deemed disrepectful gets eleven weeks.
Stamping on an ankle, lucky not to break it, gets three weeks.
Inconsistent and unacceptable.

I am no Hartley fan but the hysteria from the 'keyboard warriors' on here is predictable. I havent met him or played test rugby so will comment no further. Presumably Best will be sending the RFU a Xmas card from now on.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 am

Recwatcher wrote:Six nations citing committee take note.

I am no Hartley fan but the hysteria from the 'keyboard warriors' on here is predictable. I havent met him or played test rugby so will comment no further. Presumably Best will be sending the RFU a Xmas card from now on.... Wink

Short, sharp, pertinent.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 am

As I said elsewhere, that's no disciplinary quirk. The guidelines are specifically written that way:

http://www.rfu.com/~/~/media/files/thegame/regulations/rfu%20regulation%2019%20appendix%202%20%281213%29.ashx

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue May 28, 2013 2:05 am

Recwatcher wrote:Harsh words deemed disrepectful gets eleven weeks.

The reason for that is respect for the referee as a neutral adjudicator. It's much worse to attack or abuse a referee than an opponent for the reason that in the heat of battle in a physical game tempers do get frayed. But to lose it with the ref undermines the authority he needs to control the game and diminishes the respect he's held in. Rugby is a full-contact game played by some massively powerful men. The authority the ref has over them comes from the respect in which he is held.

Also, you overlook prior record there. Had this been Hartleys first offence we'd definitely be shaving off a few weeks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 2:10 am

Hilarious, were back to Healy. Prior record?!? Its astonishing that one of the Lions with the cleanest diciplinary record of all the Lions would be compared to Hartley.

I for one would prefer to see a player stamp on someone when they are intentionally slowing play down than someone swearing at a ref, biting, eye gouging or ground and pound off the ball.

The fact that some people still fail to see the difference between agression towards a player who is slowing ball down and agression off the ball with intention to injure or agression towards the ref is just bonkers to me.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 am

Oh dear...

I dont remember saying eleven weeks was inappropriate.

The player involved in the ankle stamp is irrelevant, I was commenting on the inconsistency - we will never know the nature of the intent.

The reaction does sum up my previous hysteria comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 am

Recwatcher wrote:Oh dear...

Never said you did.

Recwatcher wrote:
The player involved in the ankle stamp is irrelevant, I was commenting on the inconsistency - we will never know the nature of the intent.

Not sure how you can comment on inconsistency when we are dealing with apples and oranges. Why reference Healy?

Healy's ban was lenient because he has a very clean record. Has never been cited or carded for foul* play before that. Hartley has many times, hence the larger ban notwithstanding the fact that the crime was probably worse.

In any case my personal opinion is that a stamp on a player slowing down the ball should receive a smaller sanction that if it was a similar off the ball incident as it seems less callous and pre-meditated and harder to prove that the action was intended to injure rather than simply free up the ball.

*an action that could cause injury.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 am

Recwatcher wrote:

It's Best that should be getting the Xmas cards after being ridiculously overlooked for players not fit to lace his boots.

The elephant in the room was never Hartley, but Youngs.

Dylan is unfortunate, he'll learn from this. Nice of Alan Quinlan to come out and publically support him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 3:14 am

rodders wrote:
It's Best that should be getting the Xmas cards after being ridiculously overlooked for players not fit to lace his boots.

The elephant in the room was never Hartley, but Youngs.

Dylan is unfortunate, he'll learn from this. Nice of Alan Quinlan to come out and publically support him.

Well he would be a hypocrit to do other wise as much as I like Quinlan.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 am

Recwatcher wrote:Oh dear...

Not sure the Healy incident is relevant here, is it?

Anyway, that particular incident wasn't in keeping with the character of Healy. He is a fair player really. Just ask Afoa Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 28, 2013 3:36 am

GunsGerms wrote:He would be a hypocrit to do other wise as much as I like Quinlan.

He's not being hypocritical. All he's suggested is that people go easy on Hartley because he'll be devastated. As someone who fell into deep depression after missing out himself, he's just showing concern.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue May 28, 2013 5:16 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:He would be a hypocrit to do other wise as much as I like Quinlan.

He's not being hypocritical. All he's suggested is that people go easy on Hartley because he'll be devastated. As someone who fell into deep depression after missing out himself, he's just showing concern.

This. Hopefully Dylan Hartley will reflect on this and this will be the last time he shoots his own foot off. But as self-inflicted as his pain is he's still got to be absolutely devastated. You can have sympathy with him whilst still believing justice has been served and he doesn't deserve to tour.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue May 28, 2013 5:48 am

Notch wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

This. Hopefully Dylan Hartley will reflect on this and this will be the last time he shoots his own foot off. But as self-inflicted as his pain is he's still got to be absolutely devastated. You can have sympathy with him whilst still believing justice has been served and he doesn't deserve to tour.

To be honest I don't feel sympathy for him simply becase he was let off lightly for his past misdemeanors so maybe this will be the one that makes him realise that he cant act like he does

Dewi Morris was talking yesterday about playing on the edge but Hartley doesnt, his actions are always away from play

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 am

As Gatland put it "he's gone to the edge of the cliff and jumped off" Laugh

Pretty slow penny to drop. This could cost him not just the Lions but his international career. Mallinder seems to be myopically standing by him regardless.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue May 28, 2013 7:31 am

JM has to stand by his skipper but i am sure the owners want answers and JM will have to distance himself from DH who, in my view, is finished as skipper and with england assuming Youngs continues to thrive. But i have little sympathy for Hartley. He was just given a golden opportunity to prove his worth and squandered it. Fool.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 am

Just listened to the Green and Gold podcast where they said they heard that Rory Best once punched Warren Gatland at a dinner.

Anyone know anything about that?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Just listened to the Green and Gold podcast where they said they heard that Rory Best once punched Warren Gatland at a dinner.

It was last night at the leaving dinner, it was his way of telling Gatland he was an idiot

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 am

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/ggr-podcast/

2 years ago at an official function after a 6N game according to the above podcast.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 am

Haha! Hmm. Woah.

It's probably BS right?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Just listened to the Green and Gold podcast where they said they heard that Rory Best once punched Warren Gatland at a dinner.

The way I heard it was that Gatland got a bit fresh and wanted his way with Best. Old Rory took offense and said he was not that kind of boy. Just a spat, no doubts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am

doctor_grey wrote:

The way I heard it was that Gatland got a bit fresh and wanted his way with Best. Old Rory took offense and said he was not that kind of boy. Just a spat, no doubts.

well, there is nothing quite like watching 2 hookers go at it Very Happy

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

ok...let me get this straight... Headscratch

Best punched Gats 2 years ago, Shocked

Hartley punched Best 2 weeks ago.... Sorry

Hartley gets selected for Lions Whistle

Hartley self destructs Doh
Best gets picked for Lions... Yahoo

by my calculations, shortly after the first test Gats will punch Best. raspberry

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 5:50 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Notch wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

To be honest I don't feel sympathy for him simply becase he was let off lightly for his past misdemeanors so maybe this will be the one that makes him realise that he cant act like he does

Dewi Morris was talking yesterday about playing on the edge but Hartley doesnt, his actions are always away from play

Hartley has served more than a rugby season in time banned from playing. After this 11 week ban, he will be at at 47 weeks of time out of the game for bad behaviour.

He has been caught and punished for eye gouging, biting, punching and now swearing at a ref and accusing him of cheating. All deliberate, mast and vindictive acts.

Surely he has the worst reputation in the game? Is there anyone else equal?

I have no sympathy, the guy is a complete thug.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 28, 2013 6:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Surely he has the worst reputation in the game? Is there anyone else equal?

I can't think of anyone. Calum Clark might be a candidate for the gravity of his offence rather than length of ban.

I was a bit surprised just how much, and how quickly, Hartley's bans had totted up. He's in the spotlight like never before now, though. Even biting Stephen Ferris doesn't compare in terms of repercussions.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Surely he has the worst reputation in the game? Is there anyone else equal?

I can't think of anyone. Calum Clark might be a candidate for the gravity of his offence rather than length of ban.

I was a bit surprised just how much, and how quickly, Hartley's bans had totted up. He's in the spotlight like never before now, though. Even biting Stephen Ferris doesn't compare in terms of repercussions.

I am surprised Clarke was allowed to play the game again to be honest.

More has to be done.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue May 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Sorry for the diversion but I've only just noticed.

In the midst of all the confusion the commentator actually got to say,

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over...."

How long has he waited to get the chance to say those immortal words?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm

11 weeks for allegedly calling the ref a cheat. 8 weeks for gouging.

Regardless of the merits of a ban in this case, its grossly outweighted.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 8:06 pm

fa0019 wrote:11 weeks for allegedly calling the ref a cheat. 8 weeks for gouging.

Where are you getting your figures from? Hartley received a 6 month ban for eye gouging in the past.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 pm

fa0019 wrote:11 weeks for allegedly calling the ref a cheat. 8 weeks for gouging.

The problem is not the 11 weeks for calling the ref a 'f***ing cheat', it is that the 8 weeks for gouging is nowhere near enough!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Moral high grounds busy today.... Shocked
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue May 28, 2013 8:18 pm

a bit too old tie for me.

The Stormers were accused of the same, they only got a fine. Countless times you've heard it by managers yet they haven't been done.

It was an ego thing for Barnes. A better ref would have dealt with the situation better... it was a moment of rash judgement true, but in the end it was a word. Not a infringement etc. He ruined the game for the fans... we're the ones who pay the ticket fees, the TV subscriptions, buy the shirts etc. People deserved more from a final... a better ref would have taken that into consideration.

We shouldn't even know his name, in the old days we never did.... yet now they are becoming notorious.... sometimes more so then the players themselves. They should be in the shadows... guys like Steve Walsh act like they're Gods of the sport.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Breadvan wrote:Moral high grounds busy today.... Shocked

Maybe unlike your self I never called a ref a cheat I called him Sir, never gouged anyone's eyes, never bit anyone's finger and never punched a player.

I have seen a few punches, have heard of plenty of gouges and bites to all types of body parts but have never heard a ref called a cheat to his face.

I don't condone any of these actions, do you?

Is anyone who doesn't condone these actions taking the moral high ground? I sincerely do not think so.

How about you give your opinion instead of just pointing fingers at others...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

If Dusautoir had called Joubert a cheat in the RWC final would it have been justifiable given his performance?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue May 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Fa0019, surely a big part of that was no slow motion replays and detailed analysis of the decisions in the way it is today.

Referees officiate the same way now as they did in amatuer rugby. Look at a situation, see about five penalty offenses at a ruck and decided which of them has had the biggest effect. If there ain't really anyone badly affected then play on.

In days gone by that was it. Referees word was final, he made a call and players just got on with it. If he penalised them they worried about getting the ball back. If they got a penalty they tried to score. There was no big screens, slow motion replays, fans watching an incident three of four times before eventually deciding guilt.

You say that in years gone by a referee would not have reacted to being called a "f*king cheat with a red card". He wouldn't have had to. I have never heard any manager or coach call a referee that before. I have seen them question their integrity and I have seen them punished for it.

Referees have gone soft. There is a lot of backchat on the rugby field now a lot more than we are used to. Why are referees not marching a team back 10m as they used to do (I remember it being done in the 1st Test Lions v Aus in 2001). Or taking the captain aside to tell team to zip it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 pm

If Webber, Youngs, Buchanan, Lindsay, etc fullfill their potential it'll be irrelevant anyway as Hartley wont be anywhere near the England squad.

He's still first choice at Saints though...and i dont think it will have changed after the weekend. He's a main player for them.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

In terms of Joubert we didn't need video plays to re-analyse his performance, it was that bad and still in my opinion very suspect.

In terms of overall, I agree the game has become more analytical in terms of what TV can now show and the breakdown has become a lot tighter to control.

However is this word really worse than potentially blinding someone? Is it worse then dropping someone on his head and maybe breaking his neck and putting him in a wheelchair.

At the beginning of the season Steve Walsh was able to push a player out of his way.. and nothing happened to him. Had it been the other way round it would have been an instant red card and probably a lengthy ban. He claimed it wasn't intentional.... total bull, you don't unintentional shove a person and if you look at the video he was looking at the player.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm pleased that the result of all this is that Best is going on tour after all.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm

fa0019 wrote:In terms of Joubert we didn't need video plays to re-analyse his performance, it was that bad and still in my opinion very suspect.

In terms of overall, I agree the game has become more analytical in terms of what TV can now show and the breakdown has become a lot tighter to control.

However is this word really worse than potentially blinding someone? Is it worse then dropping someone on his head and maybe breaking his neck and putting him in a wheelchair.

At the beginning of the season Steve Walsh was able to push a player out of his way.. and nothing happened to him. Had it been the other way round it would have been an instant red card and probably a lengthy ban. He claimed it wasn't intentional.... total bull, you don't unintentional shove a person and if you look at the video he was looking at the player.

Not at all and I agree 100% with you on the issue of bans. Gouging etc should be longer.

As for the Steve Walsh thing thats a load of tosh. How many "Friday Funny" style videos do you see where the referee gets tackled.

Here's one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WS8psbtI4

Referee is actually tackled by a Munster player as you would a player. He knows its a mistake and gets on with it.

Similarly here is a push on a referee by Juan Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8md6WSuBs

Not an issue. Referee knows it was a mistake.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Was Tom Youngs interviewed in the hearing??
What did he say about the incident?? I Haven't seen anything about this in the press.. just a thought as I wondered if he thought Hartley was referring to him..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 pm

red_stag wrote:

As for the Steve Walsh thing thats a load of tosh. How many "Friday Funny" style videos do you see where the referee gets tackled.

Here's one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WS8psbtI4

Referee is actually tackled by a Munster player as you would a player. He knows its a mistake and gets on with it.

Similarly here is a push on a referee by Juan Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8md6WSuBs

Not an issue. Referee knows it was a mistake.

Quite right Stag.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next