The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

+65
Don Alfonso
pbuk0
BlueNote
Geordie
Breadvan
fa0019
Janecory
tecphobe
Sin é
George Hotel1895
Pat_Mustard
Cyril
Kingshu
OzT
markb
yappysnap
littlejohn
rodders
thebluesmancometh
marty2086
Manu's Boxing Coach
Artful_Dodger
neilthom7
GunsGerms
gleesonisgod
BamBam
BelfastDickVet
Knowsit17
trebellbobaggins
PJHolybloke
Jhamer25
Taffineastbourne
GLove39
kingjohn7
wales606
flankertye
Ozzy3213
UlstermaninGlasgow
SecretFly
thomh
LondonTiger
Taylorman
wanderingdragon
GloriousEmpire
flyhalffactory
MrsP
Notch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
cakeordeath
red_stag
doctor_grey
Scarpia
Mr Bounce
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
George Carlin
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
Duty281
Coleman
100%beefy
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
maestegmafia
69 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 5 Empty Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by maestegmafia Sat 25 May 2013, 6:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sent off for bad language to the referee Wayne Barnes. Well, this isn't soccer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22668122

Hartley now given an eleven week ban...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22674429

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 26 May 2013, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 5 Empty Re: Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 10:54 am

pbuk0 wrote:Was Tom Youngs interviewed in the hearing??
What did he say about the incident?? I Haven't seen anything about this in the press.. just a thought as I wondered if he thought Hartley was referring to him..

The hearing was Sunday morning.

Youngs won the Premiership final on Saturday and was leaving for a Lions tour to SH Monday morning.

Not sure he could have fitted in the hearing even if he had anything to add.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up. - Page 5 Empty Re: Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 28 May 2013, 10:56 am

pbuk0 wrote:Was Tom Youngs interviewed in the hearing??
What did he say about the incident?? I Haven't seen anything about this in the press.. just a thought as I wondered if he thought Hartley was referring to him..

Talksport asked him at the Lions dinner but he made no comment about whether he though Hartley had been talking to him. Understandably, I don't think he wants to get dragged into it.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 28 May 2013, 10:57 am

Your videos clips were all in play though and more due to the ref getting in the way of the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQh80FGum8

Thats an off play shove and it was meant, a little different, like Di Canio all those years ago. Had that been the other way round it certainly would have been a red... especially if Walsh was the ref.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 10:58 am

Youngs was wise to keep his mouth shut. There is no right answer to that question. "Yes, I am a cheat its understandable Dylan would say it to me" or else "No Dylan must have been calling the referee a f*king cheat".

He wouldn't win no matter which way he said it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 11:01 am

fa0019 wrote:Your videos clips were all in play though and more due to the ref getting in the way of the action.

Thats an off play shove and it was meant, a little different, like Di Canio all those years ago. Had that been the other way round it certainly would have been a red... especially if Walsh was the ref.

We'll agree to disagree FA0019 OK

On the issues of bans; gouging, biting and squeezing of gentlemans area are especially henious and deserve hefty sanctions. However rugbys values are what set it apart from other sports and one of the reasons many people are fans of the game. Things like verbal abuse of the referee and spitting at an opponent, while not likely to cause physical harm, should also be punished heavily too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 28 May 2013, 11:03 am

red_stag wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Your videos clips were all in play though and more due to the ref getting in the way of the action.

We'll agree to disagree FA0019 OK

On the issues of bans; gouging, biting and squeezing of gentlemans area are especially henious and deserve hefty sanctions. However rugbys values are what set it apart from other sports and one of the reasons many people are fans of the game. Things like verbal abuse of the referee and spitting at an opponent, while not likely to cause physical harm, should also be punished heavily too.

not a problem stag... I guess you have experience both sides of the situation so can appreciate the difficulties refs go through a bit more.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 11:09 am

The honest answer is I think rugby refereeing needs to become more black and white if the whole respect for the referee thing is to continue.

Above all else I'm a rugby fan; I'd never label myself a referee first and foremost.

For fans its very difficult when you can see a guy in an offside position or a player not rolling away who doesn't get penalised. The referee might deem it immaterial but in the mind of the fan every chance to get a penalty is important.

Its very simple therefore for fans to legitimately point to most decisions in matches and call them "harsh" or suggest that something similar later in the game wasn't penalised etc.

I suppose its more of an inexact art than a definite science. There's no right/wrong way to do it.

Last edited by red_stag on Tue 28 May 2013, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 May 2013, 11:23 am

red_stag wrote:The honest answer is I think rugby refereeing needs to become more black and white if the whole respect for the referee thing is to continue.

Well said, I think most fans would agree that the simpler you make the subjectivity of the refereeing decision the easier the game is on Players, fans and Refs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
red_stag wrote:The honest answer is I think rugby refereeing needs to become more black and white if the whole respect for the referee thing is to continue.

Well said, I think most fans would agree that the simpler you make the subjectivity of the refereeing decision the easier the game is on Players, fans and Refs.

What you need is Nigel Owens cloned and reffing every game

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 28 May 2013, 1:54 pm

Someone on Whiff of Cordite has done some calculations and worked out Hartley has been banned for 12% of his career.

Astonishing.

(If accurate.)

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 28 May 2013, 3:43 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:Someone on Whiff of Cordite has done some calculations and worked out Hartley has been banned for 12% of his career.

Astonishing.

(If accurate.)

Don the scary thing is with every ban hes received its been cut for one reason or anything so imagine what it could have been

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 28 May 2013, 4:01 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:Someone on Whiff of Cordite has done some calculations and worked out Hartley has been banned for 12% of his career.

Astonishing.

(If accurate.)

Don the scary thing is with every ban hes received its been cut for one reason or anything so imagine what it could have been

But that's the same for any ban.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 28 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Or the Nigel Owens classic warning to Treviso gobby SH:

"... I don't think we've met before... I'm the referee...."

I think that shut him up.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 4:21 pm

I understand mitigating circumstances but did anyone see he got a 1 week reduction this time for "good conduct during the hearing"?

Seems an absolutely bonkers reason to reduce a ban. During the hearing itself to be well behaved.

red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 4:22 pm

What date does the regular season restart?

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 28 May 2013, 4:31 pm

red_stag wrote:I understand mitigating circumstances but did anyone see he got a 1 week reduction this time for "good conduct during the hearing"?

Seems an absolutely bonkers reason to reduce a ban. During the hearing itself to be well behaved.

If he pled guilty it may be understandable but he was essentially calling Barnes a liar by pleading not guilty and if Im not mistaken the ERC reduced his ban earlier this season for previous good conduct

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 4:33 pm

MrsP wrote:What date does the regular season restart?

Whistle

Opening match this season was Saturday September 1st. So I'm guessing next season starts Saturday August 31st.

So he's basically missing the Lions tour.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 4:34 pm

Its an odd one alright. How do you behave well at a hearing? Does that mean as long as you turn up and smile at everyone you guarenteed to have a week knocked off the ban? If you dont smile you get the full ban.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 4:40 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Its an odd one alright. How do you behave well at a hearing? Does that mean as long as you turn up and smile at everyone you guarenteed to have a week knocked off the ban? If you dont smile you get the full ban.

I'm still convinced that the panel works out how long a ban they want to give, then apply gradings and discounts to get to that point. So they've probably judged that missing the Lions tour plus pre-seaosn is roughly sufficient
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 28 May 2013, 4:46 pm

marty2086 wrote:
red_stag wrote:I understand mitigating circumstances but did anyone see he got a 1 week reduction this time for "good conduct during the hearing"?

If he pled guilty it may be understandable but he was essentially calling Barnes a liar by pleading not guilty and if Im not mistaken the ERC reduced his ban earlier this season for previous good conduct

Hartley probably claimed Barnes to have been mistaken (about who Hartley was swearing at) rather than claim B to be a liar. H does not deny the words, just the intent. I'm sure the panel would see the difference, and so may have cut H a little slack on that basis.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 4:52 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Its an odd one alright. How do you behave well at a hearing? Does that mean as long as you turn up and smile at everyone you guarenteed to have a week knocked off the ban? If you dont smile you get the full ban.

I'm still convinced that the panel works out how long a ban they want to give, then apply gradings and discounts to get to that point. So they've probably judged that missing the Lions tour plus pre-seaosn is roughly sufficient

Me too!

I understand as missing the Lions Tour is a huge punishment.

I have wondered what the ban would have been like if he hadn't been due to tour.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 4:56 pm

MrsP wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:

Me too!

I understand as missing the Lions Tour is a huge punishment.

I have wondered what the ban would have been like if he hadn't been due to tour.

I suspect it'd have run through to the end of September anyway - 4 weeks of regular season plus pre-season. Bans running across end-of-season are always tricky
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 5:11 pm

I wonder how much the guys on the panel let that sort of thing influence their decision?

If he hadn't been touring then any ban would have started at the beginning of the season, yes?

Who was it convinced a disciplinary panel that they would be required for all their team's pre-season games? Was it the guy who knocked Bradley Davies spark out?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 5:20 pm

MrsP wrote:I wonder how much the guys on the panel let that sort of thing influence their decision?

If he hadn't been touring then any ban would have started at the beginning of the season, yes?

Who was it convinced a disciplinary panel that they would be required for all their team's pre-season games? Was it the guy who knocked Bradley Davies spark out?

That's been done a fair few times. And Mark Cueto got his gouging ban reduced for a good prior record, and served half the ban in the off-season
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 28 May 2013, 5:28 pm

Personally I think we should go down footballs route.

Domestic bans should stay domestic, test bans should stay test and bans should be for X number of games rather than weeks.

A result of this would be no bias depending on the time of year.... last game of the season and you still get banned for the same number of games as someone banned mid season.

Also players can't get away with using small club matches as a method of reducing ban. If you get banned for 2 matches in test rugby its 2 test rugby matches you miss.

Do you really think the panel looks into the ins and outs of a players schedule for both his club and country? I don't myself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 5:33 pm

Yeah Ive always thought that bans should only be applicable to the tournament/competion you get the ban in. Im happy to make an exception for DH though as Im very relieved he isnt touring.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 5:38 pm

That's the thing fa0019.

Would you be happy if Hartley was off on Tour after the events of the weekend and having been found guilty of abusing a ref?

I can see the logic of bans expressed in matches rather than weeks although I think it actually rarely makes much material difference but I would not like to see someone who gouged in an International turn out against my club the next weekend as if everything was fine.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 28 May 2013, 5:39 pm

fa0019 wrote:...If you get banned for 2 matches in test rugby its 2 test rugby matches you miss...

That's only effective if the player is likely to get selected for the next two Tests.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 28 May 2013, 6:01 pm

fa0019 wrote:Personally I think we should go down footballs route.

Domestic bans should stay domestic, test bans should stay test and bans should be for X number of games rather than weeks.

A result of this would be no bias depending on the time of year.... last game of the season and you still get banned for the same number of games as someone banned mid season.

Also players can't get away with using small club matches as a method of reducing ban. If you get banned for 2 matches in test rugby its 2 test rugby matches you miss.

Do you really think the panel looks into the ins and outs of a players schedule for both his club and country? I don't myself.

So what happens during the 6 nations? Can if banned for an international can they just go back to their club to play? Or if banned for club can they count the off weekends? It would work fine if there was a separation in scheduling. Or we could go down the football route where friendlies don't matter and all competitions are out of the domestic season.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 28 May 2013, 6:06 pm

I would rather put a fixed date on the ban. Forget number of weeks because being banned for 4 weeks over the summer means.......what?

A fixed date to be allowed back to play can be set based upon the types and number of matches upcoming.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 28 May 2013, 6:52 pm

Well he's c0cked it up for himself this time. I just hope that instead of a summer being part of a rugby pros dream, he'll finally.....finally, learns and accept this behaviour cannot go on. Instead of calling for lengthy bans, he's a thug, I hate him etc ...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 28 May 2013, 6:58 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I would rather put a fixed date on the ban. Forget number of weeks because being banned for 4 weeks over the summer means.......what?

A fixed date to be allowed back to play can be set based upon the types and number of matches upcoming.

I think his ban covers the 11 (rugby) weeks that he could play. It is not a straight 11 weeks

i.e it uses the Lions games and his clubs pre-season friendlies. So he will be playing at the start of next season

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 May 2013, 7:27 pm

"Well done for not biting the judge Dylan! And you brought your own biscuits, what a guy."
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 May 2013, 7:30 pm

There is some more context in this article from Wayne Barnes' testimony that I haven't seen mentioned previously that actually succeeds in making Hartley seem even stupider. Something I didn't think was possible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/28/dylan-hartley-lions-tour?CMP=twt_gu

The panel was told that Barnes had spoken to Hartley twice before he showed him a red card. In his report to the hearing, Barnes said: "Two minutes before (sending him off), I had called the player across and told him to think about the way he was speaking to me. I had done this on at least two occasions as a scrum was setting he said: 'As usual he's against us.'"

Barnes said that on two other occasions, following scrums that ended in penalties to Leicester, Hartley had asked to speak to him only to be told when he gave the Northampton captain the opportunity: "I don't want to talk to you."

Seriously couldn't make it up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 7:39 pm

Needs to grow up,but to be fair Rory Best should have been on the plane anyway instead of Hartley or Youngs.

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 28 May 2013, 7:48 pm

i don't want to talk to you?

well if true that is certainly the end of him as saints capt and brings mallinder's judgment in keeping faith with him under intense scrutiny

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 28 May 2013, 8:13 pm

Notch wrote:There is some more context in this article from Wayne Barnes' testimony that I haven't seen mentioned previously that actually succeeds in making Hartley seem even stupider. Something I didn't think was possible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/28/dylan-hartley-lions-tour?CMP=twt_gu

The panel was told that Barnes had spoken to Hartley twice before he showed him a red card. In his report to the hearing, Barnes said: "Two minutes before (sending him off), I had called the player across and told him to think about the way he was speaking to me. I had done this on at least two occasions as a scrum was setting he said: 'As usual he's against us.'"

Barnes said that on two other occasions, following scrums that ended in penalties to Leicester, Hartley had asked to speak to him only to be told when he gave the Northampton captain the opportunity: "I don't want to talk to you."

Seriously couldn't make it up.

I wonder how that conversation went.....

Hartley: "Can I have a word ref?"

Barnes: "Sure"

Hartley: "I don't want to talk to you"

Laugh

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 28 May 2013, 8:39 pm

Full report is up if anyone interested

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/discipline/judgements/judgments-2012-2013/judgments-by-club/aviva-premiership/~/media/files/2013/discipline/judgments/28th%20may%20uploads/hartley%20northamptonsaints%20judgment%20may13.ashx

The question Ia asked early about what was low entry. It would probably if he just insulted a ref. instead he accused him in a manner that questioned his integrity.

It reads to me like Hartley was being a dick like a school kid trying to swear at a teacher without getting caught. Although it basically came down to Barnes being sure even though Hartley was only in his peripherals. Perhaps he's seen 40 year old virgin and has trained.

Also for the 11 weeks they've estimated that he would be involved in 8 match day squads over the Lions (probably not but maybe) and then the 3 pre-match games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 9:09 pm

Oh dear.

Were I a Saints fan I would be furious with Hartley. Of course we would never have known about it if he hadn't been carded but he was clearly making an absolute mess of communicating with the ref long before that.

Does anyone actually believe that nonsense about his earlier utterances?

If Barnes could hear him then so could the Tigers and I can not see any front row giving the opposition the satisfaction of hearing you say you were up against it.

I fear he is a bigger fool than even I had given him....credit(?) for!

How can he remain as captain?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 28 May 2013, 9:19 pm

What i find hardest to understand is why he did this with Barnes as ref....i mean that guy always makes his mark in some way and Hartley, in an act of galactic masochistic stupidity, gave him his opportunity

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 28 May 2013, 9:33 pm

Did anyone see the video of him swearing that was shown after the game, he clearly looks to the right of the camera (where I think Barnes is) and says Frak cheat. Then looks to the floor where t. Young is.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 9:34 pm

100%beefy wrote:What i find hardest to understand is why he did this with Barnes as ref....i mean that guy always makes his mark in some way and Hartley, in an act of galactic masochistic stupidity, gave him his opportunity

To be fair you could say that about any referee. Allan Rolland, Craig Joubert, Nigel Owens, Romain Poite, Steve Walsh etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 28 May 2013, 9:50 pm

Can anyone see how it would be possible for Hartley to captain Saints again next season? Every referee will have this incident in the back of their minds for some time. I'm not saying they will penalize any little frustrated comment from Hartley but they'll be on high alert. His relationship with officials is surely broken for now.

It'll be tough enough next season for him with opposition crowds and players on his case.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 9:53 pm

Even before the Red Card incident he was making a complete mess of it by the sounds of things.

Even asking to speak to the ref about penalties and then saying he doesn't want to speak to him when the ref gives him a chance is just....just...incomprehensible.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 May 2013, 10:01 pm

MrsP wrote:Even before the Red Card incident he was making a complete mess of it by the sounds of things.

Even asking to speak to the ref about penalties and then saying he doesn't want to speak to him when the ref gives him a chance is just....just...incomprehensible.

As well as passively aggressively muttering to team mates about how the ref has it in for them within ear shot.

Seriously bizarre that a teams Captain is behaving this way. He's meant to exemplify maturity and leadership, be able to cool heads when he needs to.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 28 May 2013, 10:09 pm

MrsP wrote:Even before the Red Card incident he was making a complete mess of it by the sounds of things.

Unless Barnes was blowing smoke he's got a good rep with refs. God knows hat happened this game.

I would say he needs to lose the captaincy (Wood would make sense). Also Micky Haywood has had a good game every time I've seen him.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 28 May 2013, 10:33 pm

red_stag wrote:
100%beefy wrote:What i find hardest to understand is why he did this with Barnes as ref....i mean that guy always makes his mark in some way and Hartley, in an act of galactic masochistic stupidity, gave him his opportunity

To be fair you could say that about any referee. Allan Rolland, Craig Joubert, Nigel Owens, Romain Poite, Steve Walsh etc.

ah walsh, that combo of aus and kiwi! he would have chinned hartley on the spot

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 May 2013, 11:21 pm

Rory Best was a good actor before he turned to Rugby...watching him now in Desperado.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 28 May 2013, 11:47 pm

MrsP wrote:Oh dear...........
Nuff said.
Actually, I said it a bit differently. A bit more earthy, as it were.

Not only did he embarrass himself, the club, supporters, and the city, he cost me countless hours away from work talking to other rather hacked-off Saints supporters about this.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 29 May 2013, 12:00 am

doctor_grey wrote:
MrsP wrote:Oh dear...........
Nuff said.
Actually, I said it a bit differently. A bit more earthy, as it were.

Not only did he embarrass himself, the club, supporters, and the city, he cost me countless hours away from work talking to other rather hacked-off Saints supporters about this.

You can take the lad out of Franklin Gardens but...

Whistle

What can I say?

Hug

Do you think Malinder will stand by him, even now?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next