The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl

+20
Dave.
jimbohammers
Nakatomi Plaza
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
msp83
Pal Joey
kingdaveeagle
liverbnz
Marcus
dyrewolfe
Corporalhumblebucket
Duty281
GSC
mystiroakey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Carrotdude
teassoc
NickisBHAFC
alfie
trebellbobaggins
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl Empty England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Match will start at 10:45 am

glorious weather this morning at the rose bowl...

thread to discuss the match, enjoy Smile

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl Empty Re: England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:58 am

Just turned on to hear Ian Smith saying Eng have already given 8 wides and misfields in this game. He seems very confident of winning this one.

he was just saying "they can't get us out and w'll cash in on Dernbache" as one of them got out.

I bet they still cash in heavily on Dernbache though. He reckons back to back tons are on for Guptil.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl Empty Re: England vs New Zealand 2nd ODI Rose Bowl

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:01 am

Was about to say "Jimmy hasn't started too well today " when ...

A ripper of a delivery and Luke Ronchi's NZ career has had a rough start (at least with the bat)

Good to see Bresnan taking the new ball today...if you have to pick Dernbach , keep him away from the early overs...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:06 am

definitely. You can see why Smith is confident with Dern and Woakes but hopefully Bres at the top can add more control early on at least before they feast on the loose stuff.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

spoke too soon.. terrible over from Bres.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

'morning , trebs

Bit surprised at England going in unchanged. Fair enough give people a chance , but after Friday I don't think they can afford to risk Dernbach and Woakes in the same attack...especially on a pitch like this one !

NZ will surely miss Southee , though. Reckon they will want at least 280 , probably more , to be confident of defending it.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:18 am

Morning Alfie. I think nz will be very confident. out batting has been pretty wobbly and we've got some seriously bad bowling for them to feast on. I just don't understand persisting with Dern. Woakes at least adds something with the bat.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:25 am

Nasser banging on about England bowling a better length early on today ... He seems to have overlooked the fact that Dernbach isn't bowling this morning yet Smile

Here's Woakes now : important spell for him.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:26 am

Woakes did ok he and trott dropped a sitter. You drop those and you lose here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:29 am

And some bad luck for Woakes ! Though the ball was nothing special - in fact probably should have been hit for four - you still hope those will be held , especially when you have been struggling. Hit hard , but Trott will admit he should have held it.

Now Dernbach. A dangerous period for England here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

Superb delivery by Anderson for the first wicket, i thought he injured himself for a second, to say my tummy dropped was an understatement!

NZ Batting ok, but our fielding has been complete rubbish.

The Chatbox is open on the main page OK

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:35 am

Oh for goodness sake. Just why.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:49 am

Root on for the fifteenth over !

Happy with that. Have to try a few things given the good batting conditions , this will leave a bit of flexibility for later on apart from changing the challenge now for the NZ batsmen. Better get Root on early than when the innings is totally established.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

Woakes can't take a trick...gets an inside edge and just concedes a four. Seems to have kept a better length today , but still getting knocked around.

Really don't think he is a good option for a change bowler on good batting tracks...sure he can bat a bit , but he just doesn't offer enough in his primary role...would have preferred Tredwell.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 02 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

I can't understand the decision to play both Woakes and Dernbach. Seems suicidal.

They both were tried and failed in the last game. Both failing (so far) in today's game.

New Zealand now in charge. Woakes average 7.0 runs per over. Just awful.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

We just don't have the bowling options.

Is English cricket in a bit of trouble depth wise?

Look at al the seamers the Aussies have. One injury and England are in deep trouble.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

I think there are better bowlers we could have in the side than Woakes and Dernbach, even with Finn/Broad being out injured. To be fair though, this does look like a belter of a pitch.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm

Haha. Ian botham saying he'd need more than five minutes to sort out dernbache problems. I think he's ashamed England are reduced to picking such dross.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Not really , though , trebs...

In Test cricket they could easily call up Onions , for example , and he could do a good job. And Tremlett may not be too far away.

ODIs are a bit different...they are looking for suitable back ups , so a few experiments are fine. Do feel the Dernbach experiment must be nearing its stop loss...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

Tremlett back would be awesome.

But where are the young options?

We keep being told how dangerous the Aussie bowlers are. Where is the new breed for England?

Looking at the face of the coaches,, I think this series will be it for dern. Lost today , lose the series and hopefully we won't see him again.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm

I hear a few names...but obviously down here I don't get to see them. Harris , Topley , Roland-Jones ? Presume some posters on here can report...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

Those are some names I hear too Alfie, dont follow cricket avidly

Gotta remember Finn and Broad are both quite young also
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:18 pm

Here , today , NZ look on for 300 - which they might need. Guptill a run machine in limited overs , a walking wicket in the Tests Smile

Even Swann going round the park , not sure how England can slow this down...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

These two will bat through. 350 on the cards?

NZ have made perfect toss decisions in both wins.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm

Trott's drop is becoming more and more costly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm

Olly makes a good point there , Finn is just starting , Broad and even Anderson should be around for a few years yet , so there is no need to be thinking about replacements yet awhile...would be nice to see a couple more who could step in if needed , especially in ODIs though.

Probably more important that the very young ones start to learn thir craft for when a change of generation will be needed

Swann with a breakthrough Yahoo

Needed that ...well played Williamson clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:31 pm

And Swann gets the big red machine, one half of the brothers of destruction gone.

And yep fair point Ollie.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Brings Taylor in though ...he can score pretty freely at any time. That 300-320 looking good ...

Swann bowling well here ,and I doubt they'll take too many risks against him. Will be expecting to come home well with the power play later on ...England will be hoping for a good spell from Bresnan shortly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm

Swann bowling very well.

Can see NZ getting 300 up. Which i 100% can't see us getting.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

We won't. 250 plus to high for us these days?

The media will surely be realistic about england being amongst the weakest for the icc trophy now surely?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

Slight exaggeration , trebs Very Happy

Get Broad and Finn back and it will look a lot better. And I wouldn't write off England in a run chase on this road...

Mind you , applying the "double the thirty over score" formula , NZ are looking at 320 , which will take a bit of getting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:We won't. 250 plus to high for us these days?

The media will surely be realistic about england being amongst the weakest for the icc trophy now surely?

This is more like an England B team. Surely with Broad, Finn and Pietersen back we will be a lot stronger.

The real test will be to see how England bat. If they are as bad as in the first ODI then the writing will be on the wall regardless of those substitutions.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

They need to sort the batting too. Sl and India looked a class apart yesterday.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

We need KP. Anychance he could be fit?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

teassoc wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:We won't. 250 plus to high for us these days?

This is more like an England B team. Surely with Broad, Finn and Pietersen back we will be a lot stronger.

The real test will be to see how England bat. If they are as bad as in the first ODI then the writing will be on the wall regardless of those substitutions.

Yep, agreed.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

Lets see how we go with the bat

On this pitch, we could quite easily chase this down. Gonna need one of Bell, Cook or Trott to get a big score and build the innings round them
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

It's quite tricky to get a good balance between bat and ball in ODIs when you need 5 proper bowlers + someone to fill in ideally but also need to bat past number 6. This is why Woakes is in the side. Bresnan, Swann and Broad are no more than useful at this level, Finn and Anderson add nothing with the bat. A side that has Swann at 7 is too weak in terms of batting. Having said that I'd rather have Clarke in than Woakes. Dernbach can't bat so replacing him with anyone wouldn't weaken the batting, surely the likes of Wright and Roland-Jones are better options? I'd have Meaker ahead of him too.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:57 pm

Kiwis running well. Anderson not giving anything away , but he didn't take a wicket , so it must be Bresnan time next.

Pitch is so good , it is really a matter of being as tight as you can and hoping for a mistake...the batsmen haven't made too many.

Bresnan.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:01 pm

Well NZ are just racing away. 350 at least looks on now. Nearly 200 up already and they are just smashing this side to bits.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm

I can't understand why Wright isn't in the side i really cant. The order IMO should be

1. Bell
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Morgan
6. Butler
7. Wright
8. Broad
9. Swann
10. Bresnan
11. Anderson

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:05 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:I can't understand why Wright isn't in the side i really cant. The order IMO should be

1. Bell
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Morgan
6. Butler
7. Wright
8. Broad
9. Swann
10. Bresnan
11. Anderson

No Finn??? No Root??

#headsgone
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

Oh smith is being so smug. You wouldn't know his lot just took a hammering in the tests. Calm it down smith. Yes you got a free hit six, nicely done but calm down.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:17 pm

Well played Guptill clap Two hundreds in a row ...taking this away from England quickly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:18 pm

Yeah guptil has gone from bunny to magic in a few days. Brilliant from him.

At the moment he's the best out of both sides. Can any England player match this quality of batting today?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:27 pm

Bresnan Laugh What on earth happened there!

Well batted Ross Taylor, superb one day player. Great innings.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

Don't see why not , trebs...once you get in on this pitch you'd expect to score heavily...some pretty handy players in there , regardless of how poorly they played at Lord's...

Fifty for Taylor clap

Bresnan has mostly bowled well today , apart from the free six on a plate he served up just before drinks ; but he bowled a bizarre delivery there Very Happy Not such a good over...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Anderson with the wicket at last...cost him a six first but Taylor well caught by Woakes ...

Still eight more overs to come and McCullum will fancy his chances...

Anderson equals Gough as England's all time ODI leading wicket taker.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

This Gultpit is some player Yeah!!
back to back tons..

Great play today by the kiwis..

Going to be a very tough chase

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

Great effort from Root at long on , but another six for Guptill...Swann gone for 61 , which doesn't happen too often.

Seven more , and Anderson can only bowl two of them...this could get ugly

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

Our fielding really has been poor today.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next