The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country??

+27
Scrumpy
glamorganalun
jimmyinthewell68
Pyleboy65
bedfordwelsh
Feckless Rogue
funnyExiledScot
WELL-PAST-IT
red_stag
rodders
GunsGerms
R!skysports
beshocked
tigertattie
lostinwales
Toadfish
hugehandoff
Notch
belovedfrosties
Imperialbigdave
fa0019
maestegmafia
flankertye
sickofwendy
Shifty
winchester
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country?? - Page 2 Empty Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country??

Post by winchester Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Whats Gatland playing at? Hogg at 10 with no bench cover? Maitland at FB? No goalkicker? Madness.

No matter how well Hogg plays at 10 he isnt going to start there for the Test. We all know that. So whats the point? The Lions need to be using these limited warm up matches to try and test out genuine combinations that will realistically be used against Australia. Now Hogg at ten not only jeopardises the fixture result but also does not give the Roberts/BOD partnership experience with a 10 that will start the Test games. Utterly pointless!

If Hogg has a howler or is injured then there isnt even any cover for him! Winning the warm up games might not be essentially but you dont want to lose momentum by throwing them away or making hard work of them.

Only reason I can think of for this is that Gats is worried by the injury list and wants to avoid Sexton/Farrell getting hurt. But this is pointless and a missed opportunity!

winchester

Back to top Go down

Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country??

Post by Notch Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:40 pm

Comfort wrote:Look at the back 5 of that Lions pack;
Look at the 9 and midfield around Hogg;
Look at the opposition;

Exactly. This will be a blow-out.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gatland Making a huge Mistake against Combined Queensland/NSW Country??

Post by belovedfrosties Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
belovedfrosties wrote:
Notch wrote:
123456789 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
123456789 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
123456789 wrote:What if Hogg is superb, scores a hat trick from 10, kicks all his goals and assists several tries? It's important to asses all possible options no matter how bizarre they are.

Should that happen, and i certainly do not discount it as he looks like he would be a great flyhalf, I think the press and fans will go nuts and demand Hogg to start the tests at ten...

To be honest, as is said above, Hook would have been a better option than one of the squads back three players, and we wouldn't worry so much about Sexton being injured if we had some decent back up for flyhalf.

I think you're being unfair on Farrell, who is a far better player than Hook, and Hook hasn't played well internationally for a number of years also Gatland clearly doesn't rate him and was never going to be called. After that who are the options? Biggar, Flood and both Jacksons are inferior players, Ford, Patchell. Burns, Heathcote and Madigan don't have enough international experience, Weir was injured (although, surprisingly, I got the impression from a comment the Lions twitter page made after his injury that he was very much in contention, though I may be wrong) and doesn't have much international experience.
Perhaps the Lions thought it would devalue the shirt to pick a third choice fly-half for the sake of it and we don't know the conversation between Hogg and Gatland, perhaps Hogg gave Gatland the impression he was very comfortable there. Why don't we reserve judgement on whether or not Gatland's made the right decisions regarding fly-halves until Tuesday and if Hogg has a howler I'll be the first to criticise Gatland and if he does well (which he will do in all probability, because he has all the right attributes and a good temperament) then maybe Gatland is the genius that many, not I, think he is

Hook is a better player than Farrell in my opinion, in fact I would say that all the flyhalf options you mentioned are better than Farrell. He has done nothing to impress at club, England or Lions level to show he deserves his inclusion, I have said that from the start and no one, least of all Farrell has given a good reason as to why he is number two ten on tour...

I would seriously value anyone pointing out why Farrell is the best option out of all qualified and available players? I would personally rather his club colleague, who I think even Sarries fans would agree, is a better player at ten.

I think this is mainly a dislike of Farrell rather than his playing ability, he isn't a creative ten but Sexton is and there's no point having two identical players, he can kick, pass and tackle.

He can pass- but is prone to errors in his passing game. He can kick- but only from the tee, his kicking game from hand has been inconsistent and ineffective on this tour. He can tackle well to be fair.

But can he think his way through a game? Can he make the right decisions at the right time, think clearly under pressure, identify what needs to be done and execute the appropriate skill? It really looks like he can't. He may the best of a bad bunch but he's shown some very poor form on this tour so far.

I'm not saying that Farrell is the best player ever, i was aware of his weaknesses before the tour and was skeptical about how well he would perform. The first game against the Baa baas seemed to confirm my worries but since that game he has been very good. In those 2 games he has made very few errors (his kicking game from hand hasn't been great that is true) but other than that he has looked every bit a Lions fly half.

His passing has been very good since the Hong kong game, where everyones passing was poor and the service he was getting from Phillips was terrible at times. I'm also not sure what to make of the stuff that i've highlighted, the guy is 21 yrs old, has shown that he can change his game to suit situations and learns from his errors (Gats has come out and said exactly this). You only need to look at the last 2 games he's played since the Baa baas to see that this is true. Frankly the last half of your final sentence is just not true at all, he was close to MOTM against the Reds the other day which was the hardest game the Lions have had.

I agree, and i said so on another thread, that his passing was good and he made some good breaks, other than that though I am not happy with him on tour and think we need another option out there ASAP.

Sorry Maes i'm a bit confused now, if you agree that his passing was good and he made some line breaks, putting this with his rock solid defence and excellent place kicking, there isn't much more he can do as a player to win you over. His kicking out of hand is the only thing thats let him down, and even that hasn't been too bad. I think plenty of the senior players and management staff had a go at him about his petulance in the Baa baas game and he's took this on board.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

Looking at it now....

NO Mistake.... Gatland has vision where the rest of us see fog...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2