The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8)

+34
break_in_the_fifth
Fernando
barrystar
lydian
Mad for Chelsea
ChequeredJersey
invisiblecoolers
socal1976
naxroy
CAS
R!skysports
JuliusHMarx
Turron
Danny_1982
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
Calder106
Henman Bill
banbrotam
Silver
lags72
YvonneT
The Special Juan
slashermcguirk
Jahu
shivfan
bogbrush
HM Murdock
CaledonianCraig
summerblues
kingraf
LuvSports!
laverfan
Born Slippy
38 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8) Empty Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8)

Post by Born Slippy Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

So the tournament proper starts and the round of 16 in the men's singles looks to have more or less all that could be hoped. All the main challengers bar Potro are still there, Dimitrov may finally be justifying the hype and a couple of surprise packages in fine form in Bautista-Agut and Mayer.

Bottom Half

Djokovic v. Fognini (H2H 6-0) [RLA - not before 2.30pm]

The first meeting between them at slam level, after the match that never was at RG. Fognini is playing well and was impressive beating Querrey in straights in R3. However, for all his mercurial skills, he has 9 games in his last 6 sets versus the Djoker. Straight sets to Novak.

Wawrinka v. Robredo (H2H 1-6) [RLA - second night match]

Stan's only win over Tommy was in 2007 and he was beaten twice in 2013. Will Stan's walkover in r3 hurt him? Robredo was very impressive in beating Gasquet. However, I think Stan probably has the form to overcome the head to head but it won't be easy. Stan in 5.

Ferrer v. Mayer (H2H 4-3) [Hisense - after legends doubles and ladies singles]

Mayer has been in terrific form so far this year and comfortably beat Ferrer in Shanghai in their last match. His big serving and variety of shots can cause the more consistent Ferrer problems. I haven't seen much of Ferrer this tournament but I just get the feeling he isn't quite at his best. Going for the upset here - Mayer in 4.

Berdych v. Anderson (H2H 9-0) [Margaret Court - not before 5pm]

Big Kev must be fed up of the sight of Berdych. All 9 meetings have been in the last 2 years and this will be the 5th at slam level. Berdych looks ominously good and Anderson doesn't have the skills to change his game up to overcome the H2H. Big Berd in 3 sets.

Top Half

Nadal v. Nishikori (H2H 5-0) [RLA afternoon match - after two ladies singles]

Nishikori looked very smooth in crushing Donald Young after trailing in the first set but that was against Donald Young. Serve remains a weakness and he doesn't have the reach or power to bother Rafa. Rafa in 3.

Federer v. Tsonga (H2H 9-4) [RLA evening session first match]

The match of the round by a distance. Neither player has yet dropped a set and both have looked impressive. Will Fed's new racquet hold up to the pressure of facing a top guy. I'm not sure. Fed won in 5 in Australia last year but Tsonga recovered to win in straights on the clay of Roland Garros. This is very tough to call but I think there are more questions about Fed. I'm going for Tsonga in 4 tough sets.

Murray v. Robert (H2H 0-0) [Hisense - not before 4 30pm]

Unlikely to be much to see here. Robert as a lucky loser has done exceptionally well to reach this point and he does have a reputation for beating British players (but at a rather lower level). He is solid but has no real weapons. Murray in 3.

Dimitrov v. Bautista Agut (H2H 0-1) [Grandstand - not before 1pm]

The only match without at least one of the players seeded to make R4 but it could be a classic. Both have looked very impressive with B-A backing up his stunning win over Del-po with a crushing win over Paire. Dimitrov outclassed Raonic in 4 sets with only Raonic's serve keeping it close. Interesting their one match at the end of last year was won easily by Bautista-Agut. I just wonder whether Dimitrov's nerve might fail him on the brink of a slam QF. Going with the underdog in 5.

Ladies

Williams v. Ivanovic : Serena in 2
Li Na v. Makarova : Li Na in 3
Kerber v. Pennetta : Pennetta in 3
Bouchard v, Dellacqua : Bouchard in 2

Azarenka v. Stephens : Azarenka in 3
Sharapova v. Cibulkova : Sharapova in 3
Radwanska v. Muguruza : Radwanska in 2
Jankovic v. Halep : Halep in 2

Last edited by Born Slippy on Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8) Empty Re: Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8)

Post by laverfan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

The Djokovic v Fognini Beijing match was very interesting. Fognini needs belief and  focus.

Wawrinka v Robredo (without the Fognini Effect) would be Stan's to lose.

Ferrer, Berdych and Nadal, Murray should come through relatively easily.

Federer has probably the toughest assignment.

Would be good to see Dimitrov go further.

Makarova likes AO and Na has been shaky as is MaSha.

ARad v APav was a pretty nice match, but experience prevailed.

Kerber should come through, I hope Dellacqua does.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8) Empty Re: Australian Open Round 4 (Days 7 and 8)

Post by LuvSports! Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:02 pm

They haven't played at Beijing LF.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

Serena (aka WTA version of Nadal) has a good match awaiting, if VannyWitch can deal with the Serena serve.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

LuvSports! wrote:They haven't played at Beijing LF.

I have the match with Nadal @Beijing in my head. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:22 pm

They did play at shanghai i think, I think they have a frosty relationship.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:11 pm

Fognini vs Djokovic - Nole in three one of which a tie break
Wawrinka vs Robredo - Wawrinka, in four... I think
Mayer vs Ferrer - Funny enough I also get the sense that DF is there for the taking, but I cant see anything other than Ferrer in five.
Berdych vs Anderson - I've seen this movie enough times to know the South African dies in the end.

Nadal vs Nishikori - Nadal beasts Kei all over Melbourne Park for a straight sets victory. Kei is pretty good, but he lacks something... A go to weapon I suppose. Ferrer without the engine, I guess, and Ferrer cant beat Nadal. Mostly.

Federer vs Tsonga - Pick of the last 16. I think it's going five, pick em from there. I bet on Roger.
Murray vs Robert - Murray has been a little slow to take off, but he'd need to completely stall to even look in danger of losing this. Murray in three

B.A. vs Dimitrov - Bad Attitude to halt the progress young Dimi has shown - B.A in four.

The women names are only roughly familiar... can't even pick at random, save to say Serena should be presented with the trophy already and maybe a shiny sceptre to illustrate her absolute dominance.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:14 am

Ferrer and Mayer warming up - Fingers Crossed Mayer

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:17 am

Mayer takes the 1st set in TB.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:23 am

Massive shock in ladies singles as Serena Williams is OUT beaten in three sets by Ana Ivanovic.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:29 am

Ferrer fighting back and has an early break in the second set against Mayer having lost the first set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:31 am

Djokovic and Fognini about to take to court shortly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:35 am

A double break now for Ferrer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:58 am

Djokovic with an early break and leads 4-1. Ferrer about to serve for the second set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:01 am

Mayer breaks to haul it back to 5-5. Back on serve after he had trailed 0-4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:10 am

Unphased Ferrer breaks serve and seals the second set and he draws level at 6-7 7-5.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:12 am

Djokovic about to serve for the first set at 5-3.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:15 am

Djokovic seals the first set in 31 minutes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:22 am

I think it is safe to say the tide has turned in the Ferrer/Mayer match. Ferrer breaks early in the third set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:29 am

All to easy for Novak. He breaks again and leads 6-3 3-0. Looking good but Fognini looking bad.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:44 am

A bagel for Novak who leads 6-3 6-0. Ferrer now leads by two sets to one.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:06 am

Ferrer almost home and dry leading 6-7 7-5 6-2 4-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:08 am

Djokovic also plain sailing for him leading 6-3 6-0 3-2 (with a break).
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:16 am

Ferrer wins in four sets and Djokovic about to wrap up a straight sets win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:21 am

Djokovic through with great ease. I suspect he will be wanting a bit of a test soon. He may get just that if he faces Wawrinka in the quarters.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:15 am

So if Fognini is higher ranked than Monfils and Novak concedes fewer games than Nadal, does that mean that Novak's was The Greatest Performance Ever Seen?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:46 am

HM Murdoch wrote:So if Fognini is higher ranked than Monfils and Novak concedes fewer games than Nadal, does that mean that Novak's was The Greatest Performance Ever Seen?
Absolutely - until the next decent match, which will be anointed the greatest match ever seen.

I admire the restraint of commentators; they've yet to declare a match has overshadowed all human achievement, though I hope they're not reading this thread,

My heart always sinks when I hear the hyperbole, it speaks in some cases of the ignorance of the person saying it but more especially their contempt for the people they're saying it to.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:51 am

Great to hear Serena giving full credit to Ana; she says she's injured but doesn't want to take anything away from her, even though she almost pulled out in the previous round and only turned up because she's a great competitor. But really, full credit goes to Ana despite the back making it almost impossible to move. No really, I couldn't move but lets not take anything away from Ana.

A true Corinthian.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:28 am

bogbrush wrote:Great to hear Serena giving full credit to Ana; she says she's injured but doesn't want to take anything away from her, even though she almost pulled out in the previous round and only turned up because she's a great competitor. But really, full credit goes to Ana despite the back making it almost impossible to move. No really, I couldn't move but lets not take anything away from Ana.

A true Corinthian.
Exactly the same as Roger Federer when he used to occasionally lose when he was number one....

And Andy Murray, when he loses to someone unexpected.
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

Are you looking to develop the observation in general terms or make a fan point? I only ask because there's no future in the latter but the first might be interesting.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

Just to say that there is nothing unusual in that....

I remember an interview with Nadal where he was asked about an injury, and he said something to the effect that if he says he lost because he was injured, the media will say how unsporting he is, so he preferred to say nothing.

I find it stupid the way the media and tennis fans expect players to lie about their injuries, and just praise their opponents. Give me the players who will be honest, and talk about their injuries any day.

In any case, if you'd watched the match, you would've seen Serena shaking the hand of Ivanovic, and engaging her in a congratulatory conversation. You would never see any of the top men being so nice to an opponent who'd just upset them.

I'm not bothered what aspect of my comment might have a "future" or not...that's just your opinion, and not one I'll lose much sleep over.
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:16 am

It was said that the only person that could have beaten Serena was Serena and it seems that thats what happened here.   She said she picked up a back strain and was thinking of withdrawing from the match but was hoping she could still beat Ivanovic. Maybe Serena needs to manage her body better - and being a power player, that's going to be important for her longevity.  Age will catch up with her and she will have to retire at some point, or adapt her game ... and become a Date-Krumm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:49 am

Looks like Ferrer has got himself into decent form just in time. 64 winners against Mayer. Tough match to call against Berdych.

Wawrinka looking very very good against Robredo so far leading by a set and a break with a range of devastating winners. Going to be a bit of a shock for Novak after his easy run of matches so far.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:57 am

Are you sure about that BS? I cannot believe he has that many!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:57 am

Come on Stan, roll him into a spanish omelette  boxing 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

LuvSports! wrote:Are you sure about that BS? I cannot believe he has that many!

That's what the Oz Open website says!

Much as I'm enjoying the fact he isn't commentating, I almost want 5 minutes of Wilander just to see what hyperbole he would use to describe Stan's performance so far. He has been brutal.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:11 am

Robredo playing very well to keep within striking distance here. Two classy volleys to help him stave off a break point and hold for 3-4. Get the impression that if Stan's level dips at all then Tommy will be right there to pick up the pieces.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Wawrinka playing some inspired tennis today. If he wins he is going to be a serious handful for Novak. He has so much more self belief over the past year. A great serve, good forehand, awesome backhand and good touch at the net. I think he could get in the top 5 if he keeps up his consistency

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

We all know that even if Stan does take the 2nd set, coming back from 2 sets down won't faze Tommy.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

Broken Sad Sloppy from stan.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

But when Stan serves for the set the tide of winners suddenly fails him and it's 5-5. He might get away with it against Robredo but he can't afford any lapses like that if does get through this match.

Robredo coming forward a lot now. Volleying looking very secure.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

This is ominous. If stan were to lose this it could be another gasquet match.
Gasquet's and Stan's best is better than Tommy's but mentally if it gets close, you fear for them.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

Stan's found form in time. Three set points.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

Only needs one and it's two sets to nil

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

Game over!?

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

ALLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!
GET IN THERE STANNY BOI!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:59 am

shivfan wrote:I find it stupid the way the media and tennis fans expect players to lie about their injuries, and just praise their opponents.  Give me the players who will be honest, and talk about their injuries any day.
I think it's fair enough to acknowledge an injury. Serena's won plenty of matches with some sort of physical impairment though, so it's still relevant to give credit to Ivanovic for playing well enough to beat her.
What seems to me not OK is Patrick Mouratoglou briefing the press about her injury before Serena has even got into the press room post-match. I hope other players would expect better of their coaches. It is the player's decision how much to say about any injuries.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm

I can't claim to have worked this out for myself (acknowledgement due to commentators on Aussie TV Channel 7 a few minutes ago) and apologies if you all knew already ..... but ....... If Stan wins this one tonight, and if Tsonga prevails tomorrow, then Federer not only slips further in the rankings but also ceases to be the Swiss Number One, for first time since 2001  Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

Boom, there it is. I don't see the Wawrinka-Djokovic match being as close as it was last year though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

ALLEZ STAN THROUGH IN 3!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next