The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

+44
Brendan
VinceWLB
George Carlin
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
highland_scot
malky1963
Ozzy3213
Manky-Flanker
CraigS1874
Tramptastic
Captain_Sensible
justified sinner
LondonTiger
Argybargy
nickj
Couttsy87
alive555
EST
demosthenes
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
Majestic83
Nematode
RDW
tigertattie
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
GLove39
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
cakeordeath
MacKnocked-on
Dollar Bill
EWT Spoons
Cambo
Notch
21st Century Schizoid Man
Totalflanker
IanBru
48 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 3 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by George Carlin Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

A. Edinburgh

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 3 Bremne10

1. Pre-season

Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 15 - 5 Newcastle Falcons

Fri 23 Aug 2013, 19:30
Northampton Saints 24 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

2. 2013/2014 Season - Played

Sat 7 Sep, 19:15
Munster Rugby 34 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 13 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 21 Sep, 18:30
Ospreys 44 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 9 - 22 Scarlets

Sun 6 Oct, 14:05
Cardiff Blues 29 - 12 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 25 Oct, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 13 Benetton Treviso

Fri 1 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 23 Zebre

Fri 22 Nov 19:05
Ulster Rugby 41 - 17 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 29 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 43 - 10 Connacht

Fri 20 Dec 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 11 - 6 Leinster

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 13:05
Newport Gwent Dragons  v  Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 17:00
Connacht Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 22 Feb 14:30
Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby

B. Glasgow

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 3 Capald10

1. Pre-season

Sat 31 Aug 2013, 15:00
Exeter Chiefs 26 - 29 Glasgow Warriors

2. 2013/2014 Season

Fri 6 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 15 Cardiff Blues

Fri 13 Sep, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:30
Zebre 17 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 5 Oct, 18:30
Scarlets 12 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 Oct, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Sat 2 Nov, 17:00
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 22 Nov, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 23 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 29 Nov, 19:05
Ospreys 16 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Dec, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors P - P Benetton Treviso

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 14:00
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 18:30
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow Warriors

Sun 23 Feb 14:30
Newport Gwent Dragons   v   Glasgow Warriors

Any and all patter about these teams is welcome.

Any jingoism, sledging or graceless kicking of anyone whilst they are up or down will see posts deleted.

Be gracious and be constructive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by jimbopip Sat 01 Feb 2014, 8:49 pm

[quote="AsLongAsBut100ofUs"]Good god, I remember Charlie Afukwah and his brother from school - not a small  lad, if memory serves me right.  quote]
Name dropping moi?
As I said to Duncan Weir just the other day, "Asbo's all right but he does like to drop the occasional name .. or two"

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by Majestic83 Sat 01 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:What's his professional rugby experience like?

Currently plays for the Chiefs, before that the Highlanders. NZ U20s & Maori, presumably doesn't tie him to NZ.

Robbie Robinson is a cracking player. Watch a lot of super rugby and he is one of the game changers down there. Normally a 15 but just as good
at 10 where he plays a lot at NPC level. Was used at 14 by the chiefs when they won the title last year due to injuries in the team but then kept
Masaga out the jersey once Masaga was fit! Very quick and a great step, good under the high ball and plays great heads up rugby.
Also very good with tactical kicking and a good % for kicking at goal.
If he is keen to come to Europe the SRU need to get in there and get him at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Would say he is better than Stuart Hogg
and would walk into the Scotland team easily either at 15 or 10.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

Currently plays for the Chiefs, before that the Highlanders. NZ U20s & Maori, presumably doesn't tie him to NZ.

Robbie Robinson is a cracking player. Watch a lot of super rugby and he is one of the game changers down there. Normally a 15 but just as good
at 10 where he plays a lot at NPC level. Was used at 14 by the chiefs when they won the title last year due to injuries in the team but then kept
Masaga out the jersey once Masaga was fit! Very quick and a great step, good under the high ball and plays great heads up rugby.
If he is keen to come to Europe the SRU need to get in there and get him at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Would say he is better than Stuart Hogg
Sounds like a wet dream and the answer to our prayers at 10. Grandpappy should offer him any single great great great granddaughter of marriageable age that he has as payment for RR to wear the 10 shirt. Surely Lineen can make this happen?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:31 am

Apparently the plans for the semi pro league are dead in the water.

Herald article

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:38 am

George Carlin wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

Sounds like a wet dream and the answer to our prayers at 10. Grandpappy should offer him any single great great great granddaughter of marriageable age that he has as payment for RR to wear the 10 shirt. Surely Lineen can make this happen?

Well Tonks quite obviously is not the answer at 10 after Friday's dismal showing.

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:44 am

Ok time to get on my soapbox again.

We need to get rid of the vanity project which is our 7's team and redirect that money into grassroots rugby. Use it to pay for some coaches to go round the schools, or for some after schools clubs, or for anything that isn't a bunch of scotsmen travelling the world taking a beating every other weekend.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:58 am

cakeordeath wrote:Ok time to get on my soapbox again.

We need to get rid of the vanity project which is our 7's team and redirect that money into grassroots rugby. Use it to pay for some coaches to go round the schools, or for some after schools clubs, or for anything that isn't a bunch of scotsmen travelling the world taking a beating every other weekend.

Agree completely - have been saying this for a while. Our 7s set up is a total waste of resources and produces nothing for the, proper, 15 game.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 02 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

Well Tonks quite obviously is not the answer at 10 after Friday's dismal showing.

His first poor game at 10 so far when he got injured early on and tried to shake off, and was playing behind a pack that were dodgy at best in the set piece?

Yeah lets discard him already - we've got plenty good 10s after all...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Wow - amid fierce competition that is quite possibly the silliest thing you've said on this forum.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 04 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Wow - amid fierce competition that is quite possibly the silliest thing you've said on this forum.
Get real FES, he's said much, oh so much, nuttier than that.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Very true!

It is interesting to see how far the experiment of Tonks at 10 will go. He's extremely green in the position, having played a very small number of games in the position in his career, and yet clearly has the raw materials (pace, broken field running, good tackler, big boot and reasonable distribution skills) to work with. It's the distribution skills and decision making that come with time, and it's clear that time is the key factor here. With Francis returning, Bezzy signed up and Leonard coming back it'll be interesting whether Solomons plays ball with the SRU.

My view is that Tonks should play 10 for Edinburgh for the rest of the season, with Cuthbert at 15 and Bezzy on the bench covering 10 and 15. I think Weir should get a run in the Scotland 10 jersey. Whether Tonks is given a shot from the Scotland bench, I'd say it's probably too early, and Jackson is likely the better bet. I'd be tempted though. Meanwhile the SRU should do what it can to tempt Heathcote to Edinburgh for next season so that he can form part of the equation.

There should be three SQ stand-offs given priority at each Scottish side next season:

Glasgow - Weir, Jackson and Russell
Edinburgh - Tonks, Heathcote and Leonard

That would be my ideal scenario.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

I swear to the Almighty, if I hear so much as a snigger from the East, I'll bd very, very upset.

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/02/04/jones-joins-loan

I can't breathe. Can someone please open a window?!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:54 pm

Maybe Jones has been sent into Scotstoun as a Trojan horse to sabotage Glasgow in the final 1872 game..?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm

IanBru wrote:I swear to the Almighty, if I hear so much as a snigger from the East, I'll bd very, very upset.

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/02/04/jones-joins-loan

I can't breathe. Can someone please open a window?!

It must be Edinburgh's turn to be a good team.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

Pahahahahahaha Smile

But fair play to him. To go from playing vs Ireland 2 years ago to being practically dropped by Edinburgh, to be getting back into XV rugby with Glasgow shows intent and resolve  Cool  Something lots of Scottish players don't have. 

And maybe some good defence work with Glasgow might do his game a lot of good. He has looked good with the sevens and maybe that flair will come into the Glasgow - no scoring for me please - team.

This has brightened up my day  

Just think, Glasgow could have something like Jones, Vernon, Mcuigan etc all playing in 1872 Very Happy That'll send shivers down Glasgow necks

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:06 pm

Sorry lads- if Robinson does sign for Ulster it'll likely be as a 'project player'; as I understand it he'll be undertaking a contractual commitment to eventually play for Ireland.

I don't think it's the right thing for us to be doing, I basically disagree with it, but I'm pretty sure thats how it is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:18 pm

Has nobody heard about the Edinburgh move? Thought it would've been discussed here. I've posted a link in the topic dedicated to it in Club Rugby.

Re Robinson, do you think he'd really sign for Ireland given he could join Glsagow and play in the RWC for Scotland?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

Lee Jones abrupt move to Glasgow suggests a worsening injury crisis. The fact that they are putting him on a plane and flying him back half way around the world means that they are worried about getting a team out for this weekend.

I would imagine that Maitland is out for the season now, that did look like a bad one. I also think that they were talking about concern's about DTH being back soon. With Ascarte now officially gone as well we are looking really quite thin in the backs especially in this international window and there is a real danger that this is going to derail our season, we are one or two other injuries away from complete disaster. Hopefully Horne is not to far away now and maybe Murchie as well.

I think we will see Niko playing in the back three for now, maybe as fullback. Henry will play scrum half and Murray McConnell will probably be on the bench, which I guess is why he was given the training contract. Lee Jones of course can also cover scrum half at a pinch, which again may explain his arrival.

Slightly worrying times considering we really should be pushing on now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Ahem.

I'm sure Jones will do just fine!  Very Happy 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

Nematode wrote:Has nobody heard about the Edinburgh move? Thought it would've been discussed here. I've posted a link in the topic dedicated to it in Club Rugby.

Re Robinson, do you think he'd really sign for Ireland given he could join Glsagow and play in the RWC for Scotland?
If this Robinson thing is a potential go-er, then I would expect the SRU to throw all of its Laphroaig and Chunky KitKat money at him to get him to either Scottish club. We need a 10 of his quality desperately. If the SRU was willing to stand behind Maitland's salary directly (and we know that they did), then they have no excuse for not adopting the same approach here.

You can't visit an Irish international training camp without tripping over half a dozen quality fly halves. It would be a travesty if RR ends up on a tied deal like this. Where's Sean Lineen when you need him?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

With all the doom and gloom in Scottish rugby I've been rather grumpy of late.

But lee jones moving to Glasgow has cheered me up no end.

Imagine the dangerous backline of:
A jittery rhubarb
A wing turned centre lamont
A god of an outside centre Vernon
A ball catching tackle machine winger Jones

Oh ya wee dancer I'd love to see that
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

Joking aside, kind of concerning there's not been a rescheduled 1872 return leg yet...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayersRubbish Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm

re lee jones, did glasgow not resurrect ryan grants career when it hit the skids after edinburgh did their best to ruin him?

HawkTheSlayersRubbish

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:06 pm

tigertattie wrote:With all the doom and gloom in Scottish rugby I've been rather grumpy of late.

But lee jones moving to Glasgow has cheered me up no end.

Imagine the dangerous backline of:
A jittery rhubarb
A wing turned centre lamont
A god of an outside centre Vernon
A ball catching tackle machine winger Jones

Oh ya wee dancer I'd love to see that
If there isn't already a student band in Scotland called Jittery Rhubarb, then there really really should be.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:02 pm

Nematode wrote:Pahahahahahaha Smile

But fair play to him. To go from playing vs Ireland 2 years ago to being practically dropped by Edinburgh, to be getting back into XV rugby with Glasgow shows intent and resolve  Cool   Something lots of Scottish players don't have. 

And maybe some good defence work with Glasgow might do his game a lot of good. He has looked good with the sevens and maybe that flair will come into the Glasgow - no scoring for me please - team.

This has brightened up my day  

Just think, Glasgow could have something like Jones, Vernon, Mcuigan etc all playing in 1872 :DThat'll send shivers down Glasgow necks

We will still ram it down your feckin throats right enough !

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:28 pm

I'm gonna open a pub near murrayfield. "The jittery rhubarb"

Pints are half price to anyone that can get Scott Johnson to pick a 'normal' squad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Feb 2014, 11:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Joking aside, kind of concerning there's not been a rescheduled 1872 return leg yet...

I think we can just assume Edinburgh would have won convincingly. No need for the formality of playing the match.

Seriously though, looking forward to the face off between Tim Visser for Edinburgh and Lee Jones for Glasgow.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:56 pm

Any thoughts on why McLauchlan and Dodson didn't attend the ERC meeting yesterday?

http://m.ercrugby.com/news/27977.php

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

SIGNING: GLASGOW - FOLAU NIUA

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/02/09/united-states-international-niua-signs

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:29 am

Totalflanker wrote:Any thoughts on why McLauchlan and Dodson didn't attend the ERC meeting yesterday?

http://m.ercrugby.com/news/27977.php

No, curious one, Totalflanker - the cynic in me thinks it's because the Scottish game will be shafted whatever the outcome of this Euro/Welsh mess

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Scotland under 20s winger Damien Hoyland has signed for Edinburgh.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/14/02/10/starlet-scot-wings

Anyone know much about him? If Jamioe Farndale' experience is anything to go by I can't imagine he's going to get much gametime for a while!

On the subject of wingers, I really hope Nikki Walker is on a pay as you play deal becuase he's yet to play a competitive give for Edinburgh. Given the number of talented young wingers we've got coming throuh we don't really need him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

2nd year of playing in U20s, Hoyland is highly thought of - but the gap between where he is now and playing in the Rabo and/or for Scotland is massive

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:2nd year of playing in U20s, Hoyland is highly thought of - but the gap between where he is now and playing in the Rabo and/or for Scotland is massive

A lot of people were surprised he did not get an EDP contract last year but he has clearly continued to progress and has gone straight onto a full professional contract. It sound like he has been training with them and has been taken along to a few games as well for the experience. He is obviously thought to be a prospect, lets hope so!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

Nematode wrote:SIGNING: GLASGOW - FOLAU NIUA

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/02/09/united-states-international-niua-signs
We really are eating it in terms of injuries - DTH out for the rest of the season, Maitland with an injury that apparently hasn't settled yet and Ascarate back to Argentina. Incredibly bad luck and it we make the playoffs this season, we will be doing well. I really thought Ascarate was good and I'm gutted we won't be seeing more of him.

Niua looks perfectly decent although I would be worried about sticking him in as centre as he's been playing 7s for the past year. Let's stick to Dunbar and Bennett, with Niua on the wing for the moment. Have no doubt he'll be a speedster but will need to get back with the programme on the defensive side of things.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Nematode wrote:SIGNING: GLASGOW - FOLAU NIUA

We really are eating it in terms of injuries - DTH out for the rest of the season, Maitland with an injury that apparently hasn't settled yet and Ascarate back to Argentina. Incredibly bad luck and it we make the playoffs this season, we will be doing well. I really thought Ascarate was good and I'm gutted we won't be seeing more of him.

Niua looks perfectly decent although I would be worried about sticking him in as centre as he's been playing 7s for the past year. Let's stick to Dunbar and Bennett, with Niua on the wing for the moment. Have no doubt he'll be a speedster but will need to get back with the programme on the defensive side of things.

It all went wrong when you ditched Taylor Paris.

We can lend you Nikki Walker if you like. He's really big and slow, and would complement Sean Lamont on the left wing nicely.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:47 am

No need FES, my boy.

We've got Lee Jones now. And according to the SRU, he is of course better than Sean Maitland.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm

Still nothing on the re-scheduled glasgow games? Particularly the big one where they hand the cup back to Edinburgh?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland under 20s winger Damien Hoyland has signed for Edinburgh.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/14/02/10/starlet-scot-wings

Anyone know much about him? If Jamioe Farndale' experience is anything to go by I can't imagine he's going to get much gametime for a while!

On the subject of wingers, I really hope Nikki Walker is on a pay as you play deal becuase he's yet to play a competitive give for Edinburgh.  Given the number of talented young wingers we've got coming throuh we don't really need him.

Great talent and really knows his way to the line. Very very quick from a standing start and possibly quicker than Farndale. Also seems to cover a few positions as can play wing, full back and played 13 for the u20s the other week.
Certainly a very good prospect for Edinburgh to have potentially him and Farndale on the wings in the future but my concern is how is he going to get any game time with them. A possible loan move for a season to London Scottish might be quite a good move for him or Farndale!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:00 pm

We really need a 3rd team to get Farndale, Hoyland, Watson, Fraser Brown, Tom Brown etc (young players) game time, coach = Sean Lineen. Hoyland needs a year of solid pro12 rugby to get up to intl standard.

Or we need to be cruel and scrap some players. Take Jackson. If we doubt he'll get better, scrap him so Russell gets a few more games.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

There is plenty to play for on the Edinburgh wing spots.

First choice - Visser, Fife (who may be used at 13 in the future)

Second choice - anyone else!

Walker is obviously past it and can't get his body in one piece so there's a real chance for someone to nail a wing spot. I really hope Farndale and Hoyland gets some time soon.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POcZh-GawLM

Match highlights of Glasgow vs Connacht.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

3rd team is the obvious choice, lots of good players available from either prem 1, fringe players and players playing in English and French leagues and of course lots of qualified players playing in the southern hemisphere.
Moved to Aberdeen recently and I would say the city is ideal for a pro team. Its got the potential audience for it. Students, lots of rugby supporters and wealthy oil workers.
Get some marketing people not connected with the SRU and get them in and really drum up support and have some good initiatives for fans to come along. None of this £25 a ticket to see Edinburgh play.

Good facilities also for the team to use for training with the Aberdeen sports village being a very good standard. Could probably play at Aberdeens football ground to start with or use Grammars ground with temporary stands till they get something more suitable.

Potential starting xv
1 ?
2 Fraser Brown
3 Moray Low(local lad)
4 Fraser Mackenzie
5 Adam Sinclair
6 Kieran Low or Scott Newlands
7 John Hardie
8 Blair Cowan
9 Chris Cusiter
10 Ruraidh Jackson
11 Damian Hoyland
12 ?
13 Robbie Fergusson
14 Matty Russell from Scotland RL
15 Steve Maccoll

other potential players
Neale Partick, Murray Douglas, Callum Templteon, Gary Graham, Callum Reid, Peter Jerecevich, Lee Millar, James Johnstone, the Gossman brothers.

That lot are just top of my head and sure there would be a lot of others from prem 1 alone that could step up.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:20 pm

Nematode wrote:We really need a 3rd team to get Farndale, Hoyland, Watson, Fraser Brown, Tom Brown etc (young players) game time, coach = Sean Lineen. Hoyland needs a year of solid pro12 rugby to get up to intl standard.

Or we need to be cruel and scrap some players. Take Jackson. If we doubt he'll get better, scrap him so Russell gets a few more games.  

Unfortunately I think that moving players on is the only way that the younger ones will develop. I personally think that Ford, Laidlaw and Jackson need to move to pastures new. That will free up the pathway for several others, loosen up the purse strings and will potentially do their games some good as well.

Look at the players who have benefitted from moving. Strokosch, Lawson, Evans and Beattie for starters. The first two were not even seen as regular starters while they were here. Others like Scott Newland and Kyle Traynor (who has just been given a 2 year contract with Bristol) were considered done and dusted and have managed to resurrect themselves.

Regular Scottish internationals really aught to be good enough to pick up a contract with a decent English or French team. If they can't then it says a lot about how our internationals are viewed elsewhere. Some of the youngsters if they are not getting the game time should think about the English championship as well. It is still professional rugby where they will learn their trade and develop. Solomon's at Edinburgh to his credit recognises that and has been very keen to lend people out to get them game time. I am sure after a season with Rotherham and he seems to have been playing for them regularly, will come back a much better player and will be ready for the Edinburgh match day squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:22 pm

Majestic83 wrote:3rd team is the obvious choice, lots of good players available from either prem 1, fringe players and players playing in English and French leagues and of course lots of qualified players playing in the southern hemisphere.
Moved to Aberdeen recently and I would say the city is ideal for a pro team. Its got the potential audience for it. Students, lots of rugby supporters and wealthy oil workers.
Get some marketing people not connected with the SRU and get them in and really drum up support and have some good initiatives for fans to come along. None of this £25 a ticket to see Edinburgh play.

Good facilities also for the team to use for training with the Aberdeen sports village being a very good standard. Could probably play at Aberdeens football ground to start with or use Grammars ground with temporary stands till they get something more suitable.

Potential starting xv
1 ?
2 Fraser Brown
3 Moray Low(local lad)
4 Fraser Mackenzie
5 Adam Sinclair
6 Kieran Low or Scott Newlands
7 John Hardie
8 Blair Cowan
9 Chris Cusiter
10 Ruraidh Jackson
11 Damian Hoyland
12 ?
13 Robbie Fergusson
14 Matty Russell from Scotland RL
15 Steve Maccoll

other potential players
Neale Partick, Murray Douglas, Callum Templteon, Gary Graham, Callum Reid, Peter Jerecevich, Lee Millar, James Johnstone, the Gossman brothers.

That lot are just top of my head and sure there would be a lot of others from prem 1 alone that could step up.

I agree it would be the ideal solution, but for pure financial reasons it is not going to happen in the short term.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

BigGee wrote:
Nematode wrote:We really need a 3rd team to get Farndale, Hoyland, Watson, Fraser Brown, Tom Brown etc (young players) game time, coach = Sean Lineen. Hoyland needs a year of solid pro12 rugby to get up to intl standard.

Unfortunately I think that moving players on is the only way that the younger ones will develop. I personally think that Ford, Laidlaw and Jackson need to move to pastures new. That will free up the pathway for several others, loosen up the purse strings and will potentially do their games some good as well.

Look at the players who have benefitted from moving. Strokosch, Lawson, Evans and Beattie for starters. The first two were not even seen as regular starters while they were here. Others like Scott Newland and Kyle Traynor (who has just been given a 2 year contract with Bristol) were considered done and dusted and have managed to resurrect themselves.

Regular Scottish internationals really aught to be good enough to pick up a contract with a decent English or French team. If they can't then it says a lot about how our internationals are viewed elsewhere. Some of the youngsters if they are not getting the game time should think about the English championship as well. It is still professional rugby where they will learn their trade and develop. Solomon's at Edinburgh to his credit recognises that and has been very keen to lend people out to get them game time. I am sure after a season with Rotherham and he seems to have been playing for them regularly, will come back a much better player and will be ready for the Edinburgh match day squad.
It's a point that has long been a source of interest for me, Gee. What is the formal SRU strategy with moving players through the clubs and onto teams outside Scotland?

If you only have two teams then making sure that the correct players leave is actually as important as getting the right players to sign up in the first place. I think that we are in a different position to the Welsh and Irish in terms of exiles. We need as many playing for non-Scottish clubs as possible. How else are guys like Sam Clyne and Finn Russell going to get game time? I was looking forward to seeing Ashe and Bordill play this season. They haven't played once.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:57 pm

I think like with a lot of things we don't know what the formal SRU policy is, or even if they have one. They have to tread very carefully on this one, as if they pursue it to vigorously then we are just going to have to accept that our professional tams are purely for development of Scottish players and will never be a force in their own right. So for that reason I doubt that there is anything down on paper.

Having said that Glasgow in particular have been willing to move players, such as Beattie and Barclay on when they are supposedly on top of their games and the fans would have liked to see them stay and that has allowed players like Wilson and Fusaro come through.

There is a lot of uncertainty about next season still, not knowing about Europe yet or how many teams will play in the Rabo (or whatever it will become). A smaller league will inevitably mean smaller squads and will exacerbate the problem even more. I think that is why we have seen relatively little on the contract front so far, especially with the bigger fish (Ford, Laidlaw, Jackson etc).

Hopefully they will get the European side of things wrapped up this afternoon and the rest will then fall into place.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm

* The pen is coming out tomorrow for Glasgow (contract news - a new signing/re-signing). Twitter glasgowwarriors

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:44 am

Moray Low to Exeter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26212319

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:58 am

Probably a good move for him and a chance to nail down a starting spot, something he has struggled to do in Glasgow. The Chiefs are a tight outfit and will always put out a competitive pack, he will have to play well there. This move will challenge him, which will be good for him and hopefully for Scotland.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:38 am

Agreed - am glad he's going to a collegiate and nurturing outfit. He'll learn a lot from that team and hopefully guys like Darcy Rae will get a little more gametime now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next