The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KP - England career over

+45
shivfan
VTR
JubbaIsle
kwinigolfer
Nachos Jones
Mat
alfie
guildfordbat
msp83
Born Slippy
It Must Be Love
andyi
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
Rowley
Stella
GSC
kingraf
dyrewolfe
mystiroakey
sirfredperry
Dorothy_Mantooth
The Fourth Lion
invisiblecoolers
Mike Selig
skyeman
gboycottnut1
Sangakkara
GloriousEmpire
OzT
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
B91212
KP_fan
Biltong
banbrotam
Hood83
Hibbz
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
CaledonianCraig
Hoggy_Bear
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
49 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

KP - England career over Empty KP - England career over

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:44 pm

"@bbctms: Reports suggesting Kevin Pietersen will NOT be selected for West Indies tour and World T20. Expecting ECB statement shortly #bbccricket

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/statement-kevin-pietersen

As that statement underlines, his career with England is done.

Discuss away, I'm sure this will be a hot topic...

Last edited by Olly on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

KP - England career over Empty Re: KP - England career over

Post by guildfordbat Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:55 pm

If that is correct, it would appear to weaken Giles' chances of landing the top job given his public backing of Pietersen when the initial squad was annonced.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 pm

I don't think KP will play ever again for England. Sad but true.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Maybe he's setting up an ipl franchise with flower and moores

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:If that is correct, it would appear to weaken Giles' chances of landing the top job given his public backing of Pietersen when the initial squad was annonced.

It would also go a long way to proving that the ructions between the England Management and KP weren't all due to the fact that Flower didn't like him.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:If that is correct, it would appear to weaken Giles' chances of landing the top job given his public backing of Pietersen when the initial squad was annonced.

It would also go a long way to proving that the ructions between the England Management and KP weren't all due to the fact that Flower didn't like him.

Yes - or that Flower has cast his evil spell on others (sorry, been reading too many KP_f posts!  Very Happy )

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:29 pm

If there are crumbs of comfort to be had here then we must remember that he is now surely nearing the end of his career. Yes he will be missed but he can't go on forever anyway so a replacement would have been needed soon in any case.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:38 pm

If at all England go that particular path, hope the ECB will come out with the truth rather than a bland statement that is neither here nor there.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:45 pm

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/statement-kevin-pietersen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

It HAS to be Taylor time now!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Well done ECB. Lets axe our best player

Idiots. Hopefully there is some sort of protest.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Any news on his central contract?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:58 pm

Paul Downton: 'The time is right to rebuild not only the team but also the team ethic.'

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm

I am not able to open that ECB page, can someone post some more details on the ECB statement? Is there is anything substantial as to why they dropped him?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Duty281 wrote:I don't think KP will play ever again for England. Sad but true.

And there we are.

Thank you so very much for the memories Kevin Pietersen. Thank you so very much for everything.

I'll never forget the last day of the 2005 Ashes, staying home from school, and watching that 158. The final act of a summer that made me love cricket for evermore.

And everything else. A couple of centuries against South Africa in 2008 and 2012, most memorable of which being that one in Headingley two years ago. The double ton in Adelaide. The double ton at Lords against India. That innings in Colombo in 2012, a truly breathtaking spectacle. And another glorious innings in Mumbai.

Not to mention the reverse sweeps, the occasional off-spin and a T20 World Cup win. The hair.

Oh there's so much; I haven't scratched the surface in all probability.

I'll admit I haven't liked him for all his career, but he's a phenomenal talent and will be remembered as one of England's best. Many more fans will start appreciating him for what he was for England: a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

We'll all start to miss him now. I'm off to scour some videos on YouTube of this magnificently skilled player.

Thank you Kevin Pietersen. Thank you for the memories, and that warmth you brought to the last vestiges of my childhood. Much love, sir.

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Very disappointing. Huge boots to fill, both in terms of performance but even more so in terms of entertainment for cricket fans the world over.

Thanks for the memories Big Bad Kev.

Rather unpleasant and totally unnecessary send off from Downton if the BBC report is to be taken at face value.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:04 pm

You beat me to it (and far more eloquently) Duty but well said pal.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm

I really think KP has been treated appallingly. I have absolute no time for ex-players and commentators who've criticised him, bar perhaps Boycott, who could at least talk about mental strength and all that jazz. Fair enough, it's their opinion, but to my mind he has always got an unfair share of the stick.

I've made about 2 comments on this cricket board, both related to how much I hate 'Aggers' - here's a third one....i hate him. Sanctimonious, self-appointed 'guardian of the spirit of the game' who has regularly, tacitly agitated for the removal of players and coaches he doesn't like. Anyone who doesn't want to cosy up for a chat with him is called 'arrogant' and part of the problem with the England team. Maybe they just think you're a pompous self-important @arse Aggers. I have no doubt he will be delighted about KP going and dress it up as 'It's a real shame, but he's never been a team man, and his arrogance and hubris has cost him'

Bunkum. His media detractors however have done nothing to help him or the England team in recent years.

Right, I've calmed down. Anyway, massive shame, yes he was erratic and probably on the downward slope, but he was a mega player for us at times and deserves a huge amount of credit. I hope he goes and makes a stack of cash in the IPL.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Surprisingly, cricinfo is silent on KP's international career being ended by the ECB.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm

After the saga last year, I had decided that I won't watch any IPL game this season. But I think I'll watch most of the games that Kevin Pietersen's team plays.
England can now make Jade Dernbach their T-20 I captain, and make Ravi Bopara bat 4 for the test side. Graeme Gooch should be appointed the coach.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I am really interested in knowing the reasons given by the ECB for dropping him.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Shockingly enough, I agree with Piers Morgan:

"Many England cricket writers/pundits have @KP24 's career blood on their hands too. Cowardly, jealous toe-rags. #KPSacked"

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm

My thoughts

Obviously disappointed to see him go. Been a great player and a brilliant watch, but I can fully understand the decision. Ultimately results will prove whether they're right or not.

Timing is a bit weird. Would've let the new coach have a say, unless the new coach is already in the setup...*cough* Giles *cough*
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm

msp83 wrote:I am really interested in knowing the reasons given by the ECB for dropping him.

Taken from the Guardian:

Spoiler:

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Feel the ECB are gonna need to give clearer reasons. Very vague statement.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:24 pm

He averages around 33 in the last year. Can you imagine the Aussies in their heyday, tolerating such a record given the obvious baggage

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Well, the cricinfo report is up, and I must say now I am really angry. The ECB explanation is most dishonest and diabolical. KP couldn't have been dropped for cricketing reasons, and they have no credible explanation to give. Even he BCCI would have been more honest. Shame on you ECB, and I am ashamed I ever treated England as my 2nd favorite side ever.
If there were issues of discipline, then they should have come out with it. I don't think they have enough of a case to pin him down on that count, it is just that some of the powerful people don't like him. Well done England, very well done.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/716277.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm

msp 83 wrote:KP couldn't have been dropped for cricketing reasons, and they have no credible explanation to give

Sorry but that's emotional nonsense

His average, last year, is no better than Root's who incidentally got dropped and had to put up with been moved around

Can you explain, given all the baggage why KP then becomes a special case with that average?

It's nonsense of people to think that work places should put up with players who obviously won't confirm to the basics of working for the team

If KP averages 45 in the last year, he's worth the hassle

He doesn't and like the combatitive Aussie Dean Jones years ago, he gets dropped

Last edited by banbrotam on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm

The fight seems to have left KP. He seems to have given up without a fight really. The only thing interesting that he said there, is that he would continue to play....... In fact that is the only interesting thing in the ECB/KP statements.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

banbrotam wrote:
msp 83 wrote:KP couldn't have been dropped for cricketing reasons, and they have no credible explanation to give

His average, last year, is no better than Root's who incidentally got dropped and had to put up with been moved around

Can you explain, given all the baggage why KP then becomes a special case with that average?

It's nonsense of people to think that work places should put up with players who obviously won't confirm to the basics of working for the team

He doesn't and like the combatitive Aussie Dean Jones years ago, he gets dropped
Please feel free to think so. And when you get time, check Alastair Cook's average in the Ashes doubleheader. And James Anderson's bowling average across the 2 series. Also Ian Bell's average for a year and a half leading up to the summer Ashes. and please don't forget to check the tour stats for England, have a long look at the most runs table for the tests.

Last edited by msp83 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:37 pm

And the ECB statement says nothing about what you seem to think as "obvious". Had they given an explanation that was half-credible, then it would have been understandable.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm

I am no fan of KP, but you would have thought the ECB would have aloowed him to end his international career with more dignity.

They could simply have told him they will allow him to announce his retirement from international cricket.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Ha Ha...they have cut their nose again to spite their face.

so what will happen:
-- if Eng get thrashed in the WI and T20 cup?
--and struggle to beat Lanka
--and lose to India at home?
---KP would become a Martyr and an even larger then life legend in his absence from the England team.

If they have to put the ghost of KP to rest...Eng have to win...and win big.

but any management that makes such decisions is obviously not got the right frame of mind.....and hence are less likely to win.

--won't be surprised if he makes one full season of USD 2Million from IPL...and comes back to play for England again in the second half of 2014
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Pietersen's central contract isn't cut. He can play in the IPL, earn big, and then could reassess whether he wants to give it one last go to try and shame England into taking him back. An outstanding season with Surrey in County Cricket, along with some poor performances from England could push the ECB into a corner. But if England have even a half-decent summer, then that'll be it for sure for Kevin Pietersen.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:12 pm

The West Indies are a joke of a side at the moment. I don't expect England, even in the midst of such a horrible patch, could lose badly to them.
But I would even support Darren Sammy in that series!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:14 pm

msp83 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Please feel free to think so. And when you get time, check Alastair Cook's average in the Ashes doubleheader. And James Anderson's bowling average across the 2 series. Also Ian Bell's average for a year and a half leading up to the summer Ashes. and please don't forget to check the tour stats for England, have a long look at the most runs table for the tests.

But they haven't suggested that the team oust a coach whilst been Captain or try to undermine another Captain.

I've no problem with his average - as I'm a fan of being loyal. However, we're all told he's a 'special player' and worth the hassle

Clearly he isn't

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Biltong wrote:They could simply have told him they will allow him to announce his retirement from international cricket.
Perhaps they did Biltong and he said no which then led to what has now transpired. Either way I think it is the wrong decision.

England are struggling so we get rid of the best batsmen/arguably player because he takes some special handling compared to others. Some of the absolute top players the game has ever seen have been that way but good captains/coaches could manage them well enough to still benefit the team (Viv Richards and Shane Warne spring to mind). Cricket is not like Rugby or Football where you pick the best 15/11 that will work best collectively to win a short game even if that means the best player isn't one of them, cricket in it's simplest form comes down to one on one, bowler vs batsmen. I fail to see how not having Englands best batsman available during a period of tough re-building will benefit the team. I'm sure the new 'ethos' will flourish if we continue to get totally spanked.

Based on the previous series where KP was generally fielding about as far away from the skipper as possible that Captain Cook's views on this are not hard to fathom. Brave call by a captain who is really up against it and will have to prove himself the best man for the job over the next couple of series. It was hard enough trying to turn things around whilst having to change what seems his natural negative captaining style but now to do it without the best batsmen seems stupid. So what if KP has an ego, get him more involved, he's very experienced and according to many observers has a good cricket brain. Get him more involved and made to feel some worth to the team and I'm sure you would get more out of him and a better attitude.

I also agree that certain 'hacks' are at least partly responsible.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

msp83 wrote:The West Indies are a joke of a side at the moment. I don't expect England, even in the midst of such a horrible patch, could lose badly to them.
But I would even support Darren Sammy in that series!.
Chris Gayle will batter England, to get some revenge for his buddy Kevin Pietersen.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:23 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Doesn't that mean half the team should be dropped? I thought in the last Tour he was doing better than others, damning with faint praise perhaps

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:24 pm

[quote="B91212"]
Biltong wrote:England are struggling so we get rid of the best batsmen/arguably player because he takes some special handling compared to others

They got rid, because he's been batting like an ordinary player for 18 months as his average shows. You then have to decide is this worth the hassle

In a team game, if you set yourself as a special sportsman and demand to be able to do things your way (clearly nobody can surely deny that KP does) then you have to do better than the others to warrant this

It's actually a very brave decision. They could easily have given the new coach the hot potato

I'm very pleased with the decision. The team still has personalities. Making out as though the ECB wants robots (as some think on these boards) is insulting to the likes of Broad and Anderson

KP should be grateful he didn't get sacked after the Moore fiasco - never mind the Strauss affair

But he's a loveable rogue and the team should just take his pain in the backside antics

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

The guy is supposed to have a negative effect on the dressing room.........Apparently cricket has 11 players in a team........Apparently it helps when batting/bowling at the top level to have them 11 in a good positive frame of mind..........

Get rid of him............He's a mercenary.........Only played for England because Africa wasn't feasible...

You can't have disruptive types in the dressing room..........end of........Not like he scored all the runs and took 20 wickets a test match is it ??

He's expendable......Must have come as a shock to him to find this out.......

This is a guy that sold his team down the river last year...........What is the matter with some of you guys on here......sticking up for this guy over your own Country....Pathetic !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Incredibly sad way for a thrilling career to come to an end. 

England's only world class batsman in the last 10-15 years. 

I'm not a Kevin Pietersen fan, but he brought a lot to world cricket. Maybe he should've bided his time in Natal...

I'll look forward to watching KP in the IPL/BBL/CT20/Ram Slam.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Some might argue Alistair Cook is world class.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 pm

B91212 wrote:cricket in it's simplest form comes down to one on one, bowler vs batsmen. I fail to see how not having Englands best batsman available during a period of tough re-building will benefit the team.

Agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Even when he was beating the hell out of us, specially 2005 at the Oval when Warnie dropped him and he went on to get score enough (158) to get a draw for England giving them the Ashes, I had heapsa respect for the man.

He was the man I think most sides knew had to get out quickly to get thru the English batting, why drop the man who is proven to be their best batsman? So he was a bit selfish, I think all top sportsmen, maybe except Johnny in rugby, have to be a bit selfish to get to the top.

I wish him all the best for the rest of his career. Who knows, maybe England may go begging for him to play again if they fail more without him?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Some might argue Alistair Cook is world class.........
Some might be talking sh!t my old mucker...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Wow the Aussie series has been total carnage for England. Lost four of their best players.

I feel for Peterson. He was the best performer on the tour. It's a lesson in how English sport's attitude to the "mercenaries" is to welcome them as "British" until they need a fall guy, then suddenly they are the black sheep and scapegoat.

Fairly disgusting behaviour.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 pm

cook is very good.
BUT I am afraid this Ashes has broken him completely.......and no less than Trott I suspect.

Trott, Cook, KP, Swann, Prior gone and with some bad luck Anderson might pull a hamstring.....India can't get it easier than this ever in Eng
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 pm

I give it 3 months before they're beginning him to come back.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
Some might be talking sh!t my old mucker...

I guess people can't be rating Pietersen on his average then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:05 pm

I was an advocate for dropping Pietersen during the Ashes tour, on form grounds, notably for repeated poor shot selections at crucial moments. But this has appalled me today.

If a player cannot be managed then the fault lies with the talents of the manager. And I'm guessing in this instance, "the manager" is Cook.

In my line of work, if I can't manage a member of my staff, I can't just get rid of them. Particularly if they are my most talented member of staff! If I can't manage a member of my staff then it reflects badly on me. So why is it not the same case here?

Pietersen is the true mercurial talent. And that talent needs to be harnessed, not thrown by the wayside - particularly at times like this. If Cook cannot do this, then Cook should stand aside as captain. This is cowardly. It is pathetic. And as someone mentioned above, is cutting off out nose to spite our face.

If this is the start of a cricket revolution in England, if this is the line in the sand that marks the beginning of that process, then I really worry for the direction that process is going to take.

I feel Pietersen has been singled out for having a personality. No matter what he has done for this country (and let's not forget that he adopted England just as much as we adopted him), his face just doesn't fit with the emotionally retarded guardedness that is expected of our sportsmen, and even our general everyday man on the street.

It is that mentality that is wrong. It is that mentality that is a hinderence to success. Not KP's.

And if he lost the respect of the locker room, then again I have to question whose fault that is. My mind keeps going back to that test where KP lost his temper with both Broad and Bresnan, when he (the batsman in this piece lets not forget!) told them both to see off Lyon so that he could attack Johnson - perhaps put him under a bit of pressure for once, only for them to get out off stupid shots, completely disregarding his advice.

Who was the unprofessional party there?

This is cowardly, embarrassing scapegoating of the highest order.

And who thought English Cricket couldn't be even more of a laughing stock this year? It knows no limits.

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next