The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KP - England career over

+45
shivfan
VTR
JubbaIsle
kwinigolfer
Nachos Jones
Mat
alfie
guildfordbat
msp83
Born Slippy
It Must Be Love
andyi
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
Rowley
Stella
GSC
kingraf
dyrewolfe
mystiroakey
sirfredperry
Dorothy_Mantooth
The Fourth Lion
invisiblecoolers
Mike Selig
skyeman
gboycottnut1
Sangakkara
GloriousEmpire
OzT
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
B91212
KP_fan
Biltong
banbrotam
Hood83
Hibbz
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
CaledonianCraig
Hoggy_Bear
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
49 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

KP - England career over - Page 4 Empty KP - England career over

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

"@bbctms: Reports suggesting Kevin Pietersen will NOT be selected for West Indies tour and World T20. Expecting ECB statement shortly #bbccricket

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/statement-kevin-pietersen

As that statement underlines, his career with England is done.

Discuss away, I'm sure this will be a hot topic...

Last edited by Olly on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

KP - England career over - Page 4 Empty Re: KP - England career over

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

We have some great talent coming through. Better to get them in now..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm

GSC wrote:I do feel for KP in some regards, the Maverick has always been shunned in English sports in favor of the honest trier

This is stereotypical nonsense. The Aussies dropped Dean Jones and then a few years later Michael Slater. Both would be described as 'entertainers' / or 'mavericks'

Like the Aussies did with Hayden (in his bad spell of 2004/5) we did the same with Gough / Freddie etc, i.e. kept faith with the entertainers who were team players

Amazing!! A player who has a history of not showing the correct team ethic, gets complimented  steam 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:44 pm

Lets not forget Katich being exiled whilst Aus were in dire trouble.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

Like the Australians getting enough time to regret the foolish call on Katich, the ECB will have plenty of time to reflect on this poor call on Pietersen.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

msp83 wrote:Like the Australians getting enough time to regret the foolish call on Katich, the ECB will have plenty of time to reflect on this poor call on Pietersen.

Don't recall Katich having a history of bad behaviour. I do recall him having a better average than KP's recent one, though

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

Yes exactly Bamtrotam. People are not getting why KP has been retired early. It isn't his form.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

banbrotam wrote:
msp83 wrote:Like the Australians getting enough time to regret the foolish call on Katich, the ECB will have plenty of time to reflect on this poor call on Pietersen.

Don't recall Katich having a history of bad behaviour. I do recall him having a better average than KP's recent one, though
Of course, Michael Clarke and Simon Katich were the best of friends, and they often expressed their liking for each other by the scruff of the neck!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

Yeah they are looking like right idiots now they picked a side of "good honest blokes" arent they!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:27 pm

banbrotam wrote:
GSC wrote:I do feel for KP in some regards, the Maverick has always been shunned in English sports in favor of the honest trier

This is stereotypical nonsense. The Aussies dropped Dean Jones and then a few years later Michael Slater. Both would be described as 'entertainers' /  or 'mavericks'

Like the Aussies did with Hayden (in his bad spell of 2004/5) we did the same with Gough / Freddie etc, i.e. kept faith with the entertainers who were team players

Amazing!! A player who has a history of not showing the correct team ethic, gets complimented  steam 

Yes. Same thing happened in the rugby team with Chris Ashton. Vaunted by the English as the greatest wing in the history of rugby, where is he now? Can't make the side. All because his ridiculous celebration winds people up.

They don't like a maverick at all. Preferencje is for a straight laced charlie with an overtone of arrogance.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

This is stereotypical nonsense. The Aussies dropped Dean Jones and then a few years later Michael Slater. Both would be described as 'entertainers' /  or 'mavericks'

Yes. Same thing happened in the rugby team with Chris Ashton. Vaunted by the English as the greatest wing in the history of rugby, where is he now? Can't make the side. All because his ridiculous celebration winds people up.

They don't like a maverick at all. Preferencje is for a straight laced charlie with an overtone of arrogance.

I thought it was because he has been rubbish at defence and his teammates were fed up with him not grafting.

Much like KP really Whistle 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Or maybe it is to do with his lack of international tries recently and inability to tackle? Maybe.

I am not against the idea of getting rid of KP. I think he is more trouble than he is worth and the fact that Alastair Cook, the man who was instrumental in wanting him back in the fold now wants rid suggests that there are some serious issues. I mean, the circumstantial evidence is mounting up. What do Natal, Nottinghamshire, Hampshire and now England (Is it three times for England now? Moores, text gate and now) have in common? Nothing, bar they all play cricket and have fallen out with KP.

And what if England do stick with him? What do we gain, two years of sporadic brilliance until he calls it a day sometime in 2015? If he even makes it that far, injuries have been taking their toll recently. Even the greats (Tendulkar, even Ponting to a certain extent) have adapted their games to cope as Father Time catches up with them. The fact KP has shown no inclination to do this either, makes me even less sympathetic to his cause.

The England and Wales Cricket Board have taken a risk, no doubt about it. If we struggle against SL and India then the calls to bring him back will be great, but equally if we do we well then (hopefully) people will see begin to accept the new era that is taking place.

Plus, now Jimmy Taylor will get a go. And no-one will even suspect KP is gone.  Very Happy 

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Yeah they are looking like right idiots now they picked a side of "good honest blokes" arent they!
You mean Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

Where the hell is KP fan? Has he calmed down while i have been away Shocked 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:27 pm

skyeman wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

I thought it was because he has been rubbish at defence and his teammates were fed up with him not grafting.

Much like KP really Whistle 

Laugh Laugh Laugh 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:30 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Hilarious stuff!! Even I know that Aston hasn't been on top form lately. Again, if you set yourself up as the big 'I am' then you're setting yourself up for a bigger form than more modest players

Oh! And Ian Healy, who was more known for his nickname 'The Leicseter Lip', was another "straight laced charlie"  picard picard picard 

I think it's quite simple. Teams all over the world want players who don't think that the world revolves around them

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:40 pm

oh gawd it doesn't take long for GE/GG to work his magic does it Shocked 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:52 pm

skyeman wrote:Where the hell is KP fan?  Has he calmed down while i have been away Shocked 

Hes just busy copy pasting every article critical of england, it just takes a while now cricinfos gone into spasm over KP.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:56 pm

This is starting to look ugly and i don't think it is finished yet. Prior now defending himself against Piers Morgans comments although he has not denied it. Former players disagreeing with each other over players, captain and managements handling of the KP circus. Vast amounts of unhappy fans, who imo don't see the bigger picture - they just want to see KP playing for England.

Even KP's missus having a twitter row with Cork. We were laughing at the Aussies not long ago, how times have changed.

As YAZZ sang, the only way is up!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:58 pm

skyeman wrote:Where the hell is KP fan?  Has he calmed down while i have been away Shocked 

Hes just busy copy pasting every article critical of england, it just takes a while now cricinfos gone into spasm over KP.

Laugh  Laugh  Soon then.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:oh gawd it doesn't take long for GE/GG to work his magic does it Shocked 

A master at wind ups i take it  Very Happy 

Tennis has HE.

We have KP fan. Rolling Eyes

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm

A hardhitting article from cricinfo's George Dobell. Cricket as a game eventually thrives on the fan support. So I think it is irresponsible to the game itself to adopt and support a 'You don't need to know, the management knows it all' approach.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/716589.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm

Ah it appears hes hijacked MSPs account.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:44 pm

And we will pursue those that provide aid or safe haven to Kevin Pietersen . Every cricketing nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with us or you are with the KP.

From this day forward, any cricketing nation that continues to harbor or support KP will be regarded by the English Cricketing Board as a hostile regime. Our cricketing board has been put on notice, we're not immune from KP attacks. We will take defensive measures against Pietersen to protect Cook. Today, dozens of cricketing board members and our agents, as well as county and village teams, have responsibilities to counter the Pietersen.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

msp83 wrote:A hardhitting article from cricinfo's George Dobell. Cricket as a game eventually thrives on the fan support. So I think it is irresponsible to the game itself to adopt and support a 'You don't need to know, the management knows it all' approach.

Agreed on being more forthcoming with info on certain things. Prior saying just today "what happens in the dressing/locker room stays in the locker room" to which i agree in the main for certain things. (It always comes out in books anyway} But at the time yes.

But for bigger news: NO

But for fans, me included who have paid £80+ to watch a Test match, and those who pay for Sky sports thus paying the increased wages of players in the recent past, we deserve a bit more respect and detailed info, instead of the politicians type obligoratory statement which only leads to wild accusations and more damage. As todays press and other media have shown.

Ethics, team spirit, future and more were mentioned but no specifics. But that could have been agreed by both KP and the ECWB, so they would say they were doing what is best for both,(KP is still under contract and his agent seeking compensation} but that is at the expense of the fan/supporter in not knowing the full facts. Of which many will be against the EWCB for denying them the pleasure of watching KP in an England shirt. And i have read that some won't pay to see England again.

Personally, they should have ditched KP over Straussgate. EWCB just say enough was enough and we could not manage the unmanageable.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

Nore Staat wrote:And we will pursue those that provide aid or safe haven to Kevin Pietersen . Every cricketing nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with us or you are with the KP.

From this day forward, any cricketing nation that continues to harbor or support KP will be regarded by the English Cricketing Board as a hostile regime. Our cricketing board has been put on notice, we're not immune from KP attacks. We will take defensive measures against Pietersen to protect Cook. Today, dozens of cricketing board members and our agents, as well as county and village teams, have responsibilities to counter the Pietersen.

Laugh  Reminds me of Lord Kitchener.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:04 pm

msp83 wrote:

I must've missed something here, when did they play in this past Ashes series?  Headscratch 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm

Olly wrote:
msp83 wrote:

I must've missed something here, when did they play in this past Ashes series?  Headscratch 
They pushed Katich out and opted for the no-hopers initially, before coming back to experienced veterans like Chris Rogers. Had enough time in between to regret the foolishness with the Katich call.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:12 pm

The sacking of KP, although never out of the equation given England's recent loss of form - has still come as a bit of a shock to me.

I know he must have been walking on thin ice in the dressing room (over the summer here) but like most posters on here, I regarded him as the best modern day English batsman by a country mile. He was perhaps the one batsman England had who could almost single-handedly take a match by the scruff of the neck and turn things around.

In fact, I was waiting for this to happen (on at least one occasion during this last series) but thank goodness it didn't happen and the rest is now history. In a way, knowing what we know now, it would have made the whole recent Ashes contest more interesting.

I hope we do see him around again; either returning for England down the track or playing in some IPL matches. I doubt the ECB will organise a testimonial match for him... I think he and you England fans deserve an opportunity for at least one last Hurrah!

If not, then I must have witnessed something profound on January 4, 2014.

KP walking off the Test arena for the last time.
KP - England career over - Page 4 5th_te16

Last edited by Linebreaker on Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm

msp83 wrote:
Olly wrote:
msp83 wrote:

They pushed Katich out and opted for the no-hopers initially, before coming back to experienced veterans like Chris Rogers. Had enough time in between to regret the foolishness with the Katich call.

Ah roight you lost me first time round msp
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:15 pm

Linebreaker wrote:The sacking of KP, although never out of the equation given England's recent loss of form - has still come as a bit of a shock to me.

I know he must have been walking on thin ice in the dressing room (over the summer here) but like most posters on here, I regarded him as the best modern day English batsman by a country mile. He was perhaps the one batsman England had who could almost single-handedly take a match by the scruff of the neck and turn things around.

In fact, I was waiting for this to happen (on at least one occasion during this last series) but thank goodness it didn't happen and the rest is now history. In a way, knowing what we know now, it would have made the whole recent Ashes contest more interesting.

I hope we do see him around again; either returning for England down the track or playing in some IPL matches. I doubt the ECB will organise a testimonial match for him... I think he and you England fans deserve an opportunity for at least one last Hurrah!

Witnessed history LB. Nice pic btw
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm

CAN...... not be serious!!!  Wink 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

Linebreaker wrote:The sacking of KP, although never out of the equation given England's recent loss of form - has still come as a bit of a shock to me.

Walking off with not just knives in his back but flaming big axes, all self inflicted. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face. And as a result he suffers, we suffer and England? Time will tell.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm

msp83 wrote:A hardhitting article from cricinfo's George Dobell. Cricket as a game eventually thrives on the fan support. So I think it is irresponsible to the game itself to adopt and support a 'You don't need to know, the management knows it all' approach.

Certainly a hardhitting article and spot on to begin with in my view. Several concerns tally with those I tried to show in my earlier post. I particularly identify with, ''England supporters deserve answers ... The ECB has to be more transparent and accountable.''

However (and not for the first time), Dobell goes too far and so weakens his case. Rather than leave his very valid questions hanging which would have been more effective, he attempts to answer them by use of guesswork and analogy to Gower's fate two decades ago which seems very strange given the lack of detail over Pietersen which he was first complaining about in the article.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:58 pm

I wonder what tomorrows headlines will be given Cooks role in Pietersens sacking.  

How about - Read all about it:

"Pietersen's English Career is Cooked"

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:01 pm

KP nuts to mess with head cook

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:02 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I wonder what tomorrows headlines will be given Cooks role in Pietersens sacking.  

How about - Read all about it:

"Pietersen's English Career is Cooked"

Nice one. Or KP has his nuts Cooked.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:04 pm

I like the KP Nuts jokes laughing clap

Last edited by Nore Staat on Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

Cook tossed Pietersen off.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:08 pm

On both themes Skye

Cook grabs KP's nuts and tosses him off.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:On both themes Skye

Cook grabs KP's nuts and tosses him off.

PMSL Maybe suitable for the Daily Star.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:12 pm

Sorry to lower the tone Rolling Eyes 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm

Dont worry its past the watershed!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

Just listening to Tuffers and Vaughn, 3 minute meeting with KP, Cook, Whitaker and Downton. Cook was uncommunicative. Talks were strained and embarrassing with not a good reason given.  Who leaked this? Erm.

Still NO facts. Some players including Swann said KP has been fine. KP/Cook dust up?

And players saying "we are weaker now"

KP to get a £300,000 pay off for remainder of contract

EWCB, we need to know!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 06 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

I'm a bit perplexed by this need for "facts" / "answers"

Did we ask the same when Root was dropped in the last Test?

The facts speak for themselves. Veteran player living on past glories fails to realise that he has to adapt and so gets the boot

What's to answer?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 06 Feb 2014, 12:05 am

Come on I don't need to hear some bs from the ECB.

We all know what happened., he got sacked because the team couldn't work with him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Feb 2014, 12:08 am

I too think this, but so many ex pros and a lot of the public are on KP's side of the fence, slating the ECB.

Watch this space, a statement will come.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 06 Feb 2014, 8:40 am

skyeman wrote:I too think this, but so many ex pros and a lot of the public are on KP's side of the fence, slating the ECB.

Watch this space, a statement will come.

Of course they are. But let's look at the characters. Nearly all of them are rebels themselves, who obviously have an axe to ground with cricket boards. One of the exceptions is Vaughan, who at least admits that KP can be difficult to handle. Warne couldn't care less about what's best for the team - it is after all England we're talking about!!

In addition, like you get with such situations - there will be a silent majority, pleased that at last something has been done about him. You're not going to get, any player, publicly saying he thinks that KP was a big pain up the bum

I'll be disappointed if the ECB cave in. They don't need to explain

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

banbrotam wrote: ... I'll be disappointed if the ECB cave in. They don't need to explain
But isn't that an argument that prejudiced people take ... we "don't need to explain" ... explaining is not for us ... we are above explaining ... we are right and you others that disagree with us are wrong ... we don't even need to listen to you because you are wrong and we are right ...

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

banbrotam wrote: One of the exceptions is Vaughan, who at least admits that KP can be difficult to handle.

What Vaughan does not acknowledge though is that in his time he had a KP with several years of test cricket in front of him and whose form justified the hassle and work. Neither of those things is really the case for Cook.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

I quite like Aggers' point in this that no one comes out to the press with negative comments, but behind closed doors and off the record there are more telling comments.

I pity the man who has the fervent support of Piers Morgan, not a character reference is it?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next