The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KP - England career over

+45
shivfan
VTR
JubbaIsle
kwinigolfer
Nachos Jones
Mat
alfie
guildfordbat
msp83
Born Slippy
It Must Be Love
andyi
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
Rowley
Stella
GSC
kingraf
dyrewolfe
mystiroakey
sirfredperry
Dorothy_Mantooth
The Fourth Lion
invisiblecoolers
Mike Selig
skyeman
gboycottnut1
Sangakkara
GloriousEmpire
OzT
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
B91212
KP_fan
Biltong
banbrotam
Hood83
Hibbz
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
CaledonianCraig
Hoggy_Bear
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
49 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

KP - England career over - Page 8 Empty KP - England career over

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

"@bbctms: Reports suggesting Kevin Pietersen will NOT be selected for West Indies tour and World T20. Expecting ECB statement shortly #bbccricket

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/statement-kevin-pietersen

As that statement underlines, his career with England is done.

Discuss away, I'm sure this will be a hot topic...

Last edited by Olly on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

KP - England career over - Page 8 Empty Re: KP - England career over

Post by VTR Thu 03 Apr 2014, 9:37 am

We are due to hear the explanations in good time according to Alastair Cook. That can be roughly translated as "it will be on page 217 of my Ashes diary available in all good book stores soon"

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Thu 03 Apr 2014, 8:53 pm

i dont think you understand mate- this is a player that could have texted the best way of getting an england player out to a saffa friend.

Might is the key word- As we dont know any facts.

Oh, I understand, you say one thing then say another, make your mind up mate. And if you think a text is going to give a vital batting clue to the saffa, then you dont know cricket mate, as if any opposition worth its salt hasn't already worked it out, mate.

"But please bear that in mind before you talk done the rest of the team and the nation"...exactly what do you mean by that ?, he's a traitor, turncoat ? are we talking about the same guy, a player who's scored the most runs of many an Englishman ? a player who knocks the opposition out of the park and you call him an imposter ?

I think you've got a suspicious shape dangling from your forehead, mate.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Thu 03 Apr 2014, 9:07 pm

Olly wrote:
kingraf wrote:I suppose if you guys want him bad enough - you deserve him

For me I can handle getting rid of KP, you move on from players.

The thing that's irked me is how it has been handled. The ECB have just hidden really behind some online statements and the public really only know what the tabloids find out

Whereas I think the way Cricket Australia have handled things such as the Mickey Arthur sacking and Dave Warner punch stuff with straight up press conferences is how they should've handled this, stand up for your decision and give the public proper reasons.

I think the ECB had every right to take Pieterson out of the England squad for whatever reason they had, its their choice, and if that choice is based on any previous Kevin had, then thats their prerogative to make decisions based on history of behaviour or cricketing stats.

What they didnt have to do is put out a damning statement that didnt leave much to the imagination, that they thought he was a liability and have basically made him out to be a pariah. We've had bad stuff from many Englishmen in the past, even Botham had his heyday of shenanigans, yet he has been treated as the proverbial hero and I have nothing against that.

We can't all be the absolute, perfect example, but we as a media grubbing nation made Kevin some boots, large enough for him to fill, and when they were full, we tied the laces and watched him trip up.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sat 05 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

Olly wrote:Monty, Tremlett, Bell, Swann, Trott, Carberry, & Broad all saying KP not an issue in Australia now

Here's the Carberry interview....

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/31/michael-carberry-ashley-giles-england-kevin-pietersen-ashes

"I've been in the game a long time and you know some guys get given a shorter rope than others. I'm probably going to be a bit controversial here but throughout my England career, even as a schoolboy, I've always had that shorter rope – for some reason. I don't think much has changed now that I've stepped into the Test and one-day arena. I'm not going to hide my emotions. I was bitterly disappointed. At the age I am, I need straight answers. To be told I'm on the radar or being talked about? All these lip-service cliches don't interest me any more."

That to me is the real problem with the England team....
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 18 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

And the dying embers of KPs England career have been stamped out with the news that Peter Moores is to be appointed New England coach.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 05 Jul 2014, 8:18 pm

Andrew Strauss obviously not a big fan of KP still.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/05/andrew-strauss-kevin-pietersen

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jul 2014, 9:34 pm

Haha that's brilliant!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 05 Jul 2014, 9:59 pm

well Strauss should be fined and banned as a commentator....
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

A little humour, we know this is how it is between the two

KP keeps saying he's open to an England return, and wants to, but his actions are doing nothing to back up his words (no FC cricket for Surrey, rubbish in the t20's)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:46 pm

I would never believe that such a privately-educated figure of a man would use such gutter language.

I still laughed. Laugh

Have you seen how much KP's hair salon charges? What a c...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:50 am

Politics and Double Standards......India and Eng are champions

and when politics overrides merit......mediocrity is the result

and no wonder fighting for no. 4 and 5 this test series between Ind and Eng will be a battle roayle in medocrity
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

Ah the good old KP Martyrdom Story - the gift that keeps on giving  Smile 

At least we now know exactly what Strauss at least really thinks of his former teammate ..."dead" microphone syndrome has ensnared a few novice commentators ; but there is something to be said for having it all out in the open.

Should be good for another five pages on here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:14 pm

Dear old Tony would be turning in his commentary box in the sky just about now...
Boy did he let some beauties fly. Really miss his honest observations both on the field and in the stands.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

How dare Strauss feel some animosity towards saint Pietersen?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

How dare Strauss feel some animosity towards saint Pietersen?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm

KP_fan wrote:Politics and Double Standards......India and Eng are champions

and when politics overrides merit......mediocrity is the result

and no wonder fighting for no. 4 and 5 this test series between Ind and Eng will be a battle roayle in medocrity
Well said!

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

The holy cows of English cricket, are not so holy after all!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

Not sure why Strauss apologised to KP. The viewers yes for the profanity but if that's what he thinks of him then fair enough.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm

With apologies to, in particular, Mike and others for reviving this thread but thought it might be of some interest to raise the possibility of Kevin Pietersen's career in England now having ended.

I don't mean his "England career". That clearly finished months ago even though the fall out will continue to live for some time yet. No, I'm referring to his playing of any competitive cricket in this country.

In the last few weeks there has been some talk - mainly by Pietersen himself - that he would appear in Surrey's last two CC matches this season to give them a final push towards promotion. However, he has not been included in the 13 man squad for the fixture beginning at Worcs tomorrow. Possibly a mixture of reasons for that - promotion now seems very unlikely and so better to try out a younger player, Pietersen's poor form for Surrey in the t20 and frustration at his unwillingness / unavailability to turn out earlier in the four day game this season when he was most required. As you might expect, no comment has been made by the club about Pietersen.

Putting all the above into the mix together with the restrictions imposed by the salary cap and Surrey no longer needing to rely upon Pietersen's presence at the Oval to sell t20 tickets (Jason Roy is now doing that more than adequately), I doubt that the club will want to shell out for him in 2015. Whilst some other counties might be interested, I doubt they could afford him.

All this leads me to wonder if Pietersen's sorry innings for Surrey in this year's t20 semi-final defeat to the Bears was his last in England. A sad end if so.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:31 pm

Since my post above, Alec Stewart has commented that Pietersen was considered for selection but it was decided that the preferred option - with promotion now out of our hands - was to go with a younger player. Don't feel that decision would have been made if Pietersen was going to be with Surrey next year.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:00 pm

And so as expected. More a squib than the defiant "I will not give up" speech he put out. Not to put to fine a point on it... but I called it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

He was never going to play 4 day cricket for Surrey, therefore can't ever be considered for test selection again..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:33 pm

Actually I'm not sure that's the last we'll see of Pietersen in England guildford. I don't think it impossible that he be signed on by a (necessarily reasonably rich) county purely for the T20 competition, almost like an overseas player. It seems likely that KP will finish his cricket career playing in various T20 leagues around the world and earning fairly large sums of money, and for all the criticism I've given him over his behaviour there's nothing really wrong with that - as with a number of other former very goods/greats but now past their sell-by date, he is entitled to earn what he can whilst he can.

In any case England made it perfectly clear they weren't planning on picking him again, and I don't think anybody expected him to stay at Surrey beyond this season and face a grinding English summer. Surrey fans have all made the point that he has brought a lot to their team, but given that promotion is now extremely unlikely, this is a sensible call by Stewart and co IMO. As guildford says I think this clearly indicates that KP won't be at Surrey next year (except maybe for the T20), but I don't think that is a surprise to anyone. Or it shouldn't be anyway.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:20 am

So with KP's book release imminent a lot of people are moaning that it'll be all about himself, which is kinda the point of an autobiography
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:18 pm

I only found out today that Pietersen was released by Surrey in the week. However, that does seem mainly for his own convenience; apparently, the ECB needs to give permission for a player registered with a county to play IPL or Big Bash. Pietersen appears to have circumvented thoughts that the ECB might withhold such permission as a means of punishing him for any inappropriate disclosures in his book. Suggestions are that Pietersen and Surrey may talk again before next season about him re-signing although that is currently looking unlikely.

Pietersen is appearing at a Gulldford Book Festival next week to promote his autobiography. I gave it a bit of thought but won't be going along. I suspect his contribution will be too stage managed. Also, I need my money more than he does!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

http://fw.to/Gxp4VxU

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

Matt Prior ‏[ltr]@MattPrior13[/ltr]  14m14 minutes ago
After this morning I'm looking forward to reading the full kp book. Might bully my kids into getting it for me for Xmas!!

Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:01 am

From what has been reported, some of Pietersen's book appears embarrassing for the ECB. However, that was to be expected. More significantly, it seems to lack any killer blow. I feel the ECB's best approach now might be to resist any reply and keep quiet - there then won't be anything else being said which would allow this fire to die down if not completely burn out. in any case, the clamour for Pietersen's reinstatement is far less than it was earlier in the year. Pietersen's subsequent very ordinary form and apparent lack of interest in the longer format of the game have probably helped the ECB more than any of their own inept press statements since he was sacked.

The main result of any formal statement of objections from the ECB would be to keep this messy and distracting sideshow running.

Mike Gatting appeared to adopt this approach when responding (in some sort of ECB role) to questions on Sky in an amicable but rather disinterested manner. Whether particular individuals will feel they can be so relaxed remains to be seen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:10 pm

So the next step in this sordid affair is for the ECB to publish their dossier on KP and his misdemeanours: http://t.co/isGf30xBoQ

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

JDizzle wrote:So the next step in this sordid affair is for the ECB to publish their dossier on KP and his misdemeanours: http://t.co/isGf30xBoQ

That can't be serious surely? Surely they're not gonna have a go at KP for Piers Morgan tweeting about Cook?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

This is so pathetic from both sides. It's complete boobie for tat. I'm guessing we'll never know who's account is more accurate. One thing is for certain, the ECB have handled all of this like idiots.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

Ha, swear filter. Boobie for tat, I like it.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:25 pm

JDizzle wrote:This is so pathetic from both sides. It's complete boobie for tat. I'm guessing we'll never know who's account is more accurate. One thing is for certain, the ECB have handled all of this like idiots.
ECB need to fire whoever is advising there media release/team. Or the said team.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:28 pm

It's at the point that it'd have been less hassle to keep him in the side
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:36 pm

I've heard that the book makes so many cheese references, that some bookstores have mistakenly put next to Jamie Oliver in the culinary section.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

There's got to be potential for a dairy-based KP parody twitter account there somewhere. Think of the retweets.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm

Honestly the ECB are just acting like a 12 year old, and KP is probably loving it extra publicity, more book sales. Its embarrassing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:24 am

It is embarrassing, but you can understand why they are so cheesed off.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:51 am

It's like kids in a playground TBH. KP publishes a book in which he apparently tell "his" side of the story but in reality probably contains a very fair dose of points scoring and score settling. The ECB responds with this leaked dossier thing. KP responds by saying it is rubbish yada yada (it is interesting that in Pietersen's world he is entitled to make whatever he likes public, but the ECB are not). And so the saga continues...

For what it's worth guildford is correct IMO and the best ECB response would have been to shrug and get on with it. Pietersen's book was unlikely to change anybody's mind, and as a governing body the ECB has a duty to act in a somewhat more adult fashion. The issue was gradually going away, and apart from the KP defence council the general reaction to the book was "well that was what everybody expected". The ECB must have known that the book's contents would not reflect well on them, I can't believe they couldn't come up with a good response strategy (the best strategy being to say nothing).

Also for what it's worth I almost certainly shall not be reading the book. The shame is there will be some interesting stuff in there, but it will be so hidden amongst self-justification, blame-looking and score settling that I have no wish to trawl through the nonsense to read the stuff worth reading.

As it happens there are far more interesting things going on in the cricketing world. For example Sri Lanka have just announced that they will host tours from the leading 4 Asian associates (Afghanistan, Hong-Kong, Nepal and UAE). That is very good news that actually matters.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:25 am

Did hear about this on the radio going into work. Do the ECB really believe that it will counter/rebuff any of the criticism KP puts in his book? It's just laughable and does highlight stupidity of both parties. It's a shame given that KP has been in 4 Ashes winning sides and has played against some of the very best. Like many others on here, the book will just be full of cheap pops at anyone and everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

ECB should never have lowered itself to his level.

Everyone saw KPs book for what it was immediately, an exercise in score settling. Why give him the satisfaction
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:13 pm

Have not read the whole thread so apologies for repeating points that have almost certainly already been made, but does anyone else wish the ECB had just ignored this completely, no statements, no press conferences, no legal action or responses from players, that they had figuratively just let this pass harmlessly past their off stump. I don’t know the truths or validity of KP’s claims, but does it really matter either way. For reasons that have been discussed ad-nauseum he has been kicked out of the England set up and whatever action was viewed as necessary to address the issues around our Ashes humiliation have been taken. I do have to question what possible benefit from England’s perspective there is from dignifying this with a response.

Some will believe KP’s accusations, some won’t, some won’t care. What is certainly true though, is responding to them serves to keep them in the news and surely distracts people within the England set up from the current team and moving that team forward, which should surely be everyone’s priority, particularly as their were signs in the summer that the team could well be heading in the right direction. A decision has been made within the set up to consign Pietersen to England’s past, silence with regard to this book ensures he stays there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm

Oh its ugly, its so ugly. Ultimately KP has won this, cos his book sales will be through the roof and he's made a mockery of the ECB (well they've kinds done it themselves)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 09 Oct 2014, 1:20 am

And now Alec Stewart is saying that Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann all had access to the KP parody twitter account. If that is the case Broad and Bresnan should be banned from playing for England. Not surprised by Swann, who i've always thought was a bit of an idiot.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

I am not surprised by the exposition of the role of Prior.

I always thought so and I wrote so quite early on the " cut the nose" thread.

ECB will brush it under using the lack of legal evidence as their justification.
But even if we discount KP's versions by some or lot.....there is a still a lot of muck in English dressing room / ECB/ Flower's role that still stands exposed

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

jimbohammers wrote:And now Alec Stewart is saying that Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann all had access to the KP parody twitter account. If that is the case Broad and Bresnan should be banned from playing for England

Why? For thinking that a team mate is so up his own backside, that it would be a good idea to bring him down a peg or two?

Should Steve Waugh have been banned when thought that the "mental disintegration" of a player was as legitimate as a bouncer?

Should David Warner have been banned after what he said about Trott?

Why do so many people react to the news that there might have been some tough nuts in our dressing room, who stood no nonsense and made that clear?

KP was so smug and so in love with himself, that if he'd been chocolate, he'd had eaten himself. He might be introverted and lack confidence, but I'm afraid a dressing room made up of young men, taught that winning is everything, is never going to be the place to give the impression that the world is about him

Nor was trying to get Flower / Moores sacked or the Strauss incident, going to help here

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

Olly wrote:Oh its ugly, its so ugly. Ultimately KP has won this, cos his book sales will be through the roof and he's made a mockery of the ECB (well they've kinds done it themselves)

Not certain if I was the ECB I'd be bothered. The salient facts are that his dropping was justified, simply because, this summer, he's done nowt to justify the hype and his replacements have done everything to embarrass all those who stated England would be lost without him

The ECB are not around to be popular and I have never known them to be so. When we got the Ashes back in 2005, I don't recall them getting the same praise as the players!!

In some ways I'm glad they've reacted, rather than the normal stiff upper lip we get!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:26 am

Never have so many column inches been devoted to so little of substance.

I was sad to see the KP saga end as it did ; and as with most things in this imperfect world I suspect there was fault on both sides of the divide which has developed between KP and ...almost everyone else.

But that is the point , surely ?  From what I have seen of KP's "revelations" , the only thing that can't be disputed is that by late 2013 it was clear Pietersen couldn't work with Flower (or Prior) . And we also learn that he couldn't work with Moores (which I guess we aways knew anyway) .  He could - sort of - get on with Cook (though not Strauss ) and he was ok with the bowlers even though he thought they were destroying team morale...

Seems to me everyone is out of step but our Kevin.

Doesn't matter too much how we apportion blame ; if it is a choice between one (excellent but ageing) player and just about the rest of the team and management there isn't much of a choice , is there ?

I'm still a bit sad ; but it is over.  And the sooner all this blows over and we get back to cricket the better.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:31 am

And I agree the ECB would be well advised to say nothing - or even less Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 09 Oct 2014, 12:00 pm

jimbohammers wrote:And now Alec Stewart is saying that Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann all had access to the KP parody twitter account. If that is the case Broad and Bresnan should be banned from playing for England. Not surprised by Swann, who i've always thought was a bit of an idiot.

The guy who opened the account has stated that he only told Stewart that certain players might know that he was behind it, and that no England player (or any other professional cricketer) ever wrote a Tweet on the account.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/08/kevin-pietersen-parody-twitter-account-author-denies-england-players-involved

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next