The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+47
Derbymanc
VTR
hornbloweroafc
monty junior
LivinginItaly
Brys
CaledonianCraig
Mike Selig
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
BamBam
Mad for Chelsea
Mat
spencerclarke
mystiroakey
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Breadvan
The Special Juan
freemo
Soldier_Of_Fortune
MIG
Lowlandbrit
Stella
liverbnz
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
Hero
compelling and rich
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
super_realist
JDizzle
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Nakatomi Plaza
Liam
owen10ozzy
Mackem
Marky
Duty281
51 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 3 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Onwards, we go. Latest England squad has been named for the friendly against Norway, and the opening qualifier versus Switzerland.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)
Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

You know, such a squad does not fill me to the brim with optimism!

Best side we can muster out of that, assuming Roy takes a 4-2-3-1 shape, would probably be:

Hart, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Oxlade, and Sturridge.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:10 pm

I know how both coach, I know the football both can produce. Redknapp won't teach those players anything, Zola is a wonderful coach but not as strong a manager. But he'd produce a technically exciting squad, trusts youth and would be a popular figure. He'd also have a wise head with him.

Redknapp is not a great manager, plays very samey Premier League of the 90s football and would achieve nothing different to what we've had for years.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I know how both coach, I know the football both can produce. Redknapp won't teach those players anything, Zola is a wonderful coach but not as strong a manager. But he'd produce a technically exciting squad, trusts youth and would be a popular figure. He'd also have a wise head with him.

Redknapp is not a great manager, plays very samey Premier League of the 90s football and would achieve nothing different to what we've had for years.

Fair enough, and I respect your knowledge. Harry though deserved a go when Roy got it. You may have been proved right, but imo he would be doing a better job than Roy has done thus far.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:43 pm

I certainly dont think he's so bad that life would be much worse for the England side, I just think if we're gonna change we change drastically rather than much of a muchness

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:48 pm

Hodgson is cack. He's about the result and not the performance or how dire the football is.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:52 pm

Managers tend to be that way, because results keep them in a job....if we played amazing football but lost all the time, then he would be sacked..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:52 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I certainly dont think he's so bad that life would be much worse for the England side, I just think if we're gonna change we change drastically rather than much of a muchness

I wouldn't replace Roy with Harry now, just thought he warranted a go more than Roy at the time.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

Redknapp is all mouth & nothing much else.

As for Roy, he's just so depressing as a manager, he just emits such negativity & stress sitting on the sidelines, biting his nails, no wonder the players are feeling such pressure to perform. The players should of been playing for their positions last night, even though it's a meaningless friendly of sorts. He should of grown some balls & stated, no one's place is guaranteed, this is a new campaign & things need to improve from the WC debacle. Last night proved to me, he didn't say a word. Passionless, flat & just a repeat of the woeful display seen at the WC. Under Roy, there is no transformation & no progress, only a free-fall into the abyss of International football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:06 pm

John wrote:Redknapp is all mouth & nothing much else.

As for Roy, he's just so depressing as a manager, he just emits such negativity & stress sitting on the sidelines, biting his nails, no wonder the players are feeling such pressure to perform. The players should of been playing for their positions last night, even though it's a meaningless friendly of sorts. He should of grown some balls & stated, no one's place is guaranteed, this is a new campaign & things need to improve from the WC debacle. Last night proved to me, he didn't say a word. Passionless, flat & just a repeat of the woeful display seen at the WC. Under Roy, there is no transformation & no progress, only a free-fall into the abyss of International football.

All mouth or Mr depressing?

Both have managed big clubs. One done pretty well, playing some good football, the other didn't.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:08 pm

Difference between Woy and Redknapp?

Woy says "well" a lot, Redknapp says "triffic"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:18 pm

Stella wrote:

Both have managed big clubs. One done pretty well, playing some good football, the other didn't.

But then Roy had a good pedigree in international management. Redknapp none
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:21 pm

Olly wrote:
Stella wrote:

But then Roy had a good pedigree in international management. Redknapp none

20 years ago. Bring back Venables if that's the criteria. Plus managing England is bigger than Switzerland. Not saying we're better SR.

Neither were ideal, but Harry should really have got the job.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:27 pm

20 years ago was the last time England were decent, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm

super_realist wrote:20 years ago was the last time England were decent, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea.

1994? no world cup Whistle Switzerland got there though Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm

Hoddle wasnt a bad manager. I like his philosophy on football, and I stress on football as philosophy isnt a conversation i'd want with Hoddle

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

Monday may suit Roy. A draw would be very welcome.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:46 pm

England don't have a problem qualifying. It's when they get there they have a problem.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm

Roy does well when there's not much expectation and all that is required is to stabilise the team and make them hard to beat, which is why he did a good job at Fulham and WBA.

However, England do have some real good, young, attacking talent coming through as well as some good defenders. Midfield is a bit of an issue, however. Thing with Hodgson is he doesn't give off any passion and doesn't seem able to really motivate the team to high levels. Also, playing a flat 4 man midfield is all well and good if you have top class centre midfielders, which England don't. Why didn't he play a diamond formation last night? or something different?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:44 pm

Liam wrote:Roy does well when there's not much expectation and all that is required is to stabilise the team and make them hard to beat, which is why he did a good job at Fulham and WBA.

However, England do have some real good, young, attacking talent coming through as well as some good defenders. Midfield is a bit of an issue, however. Thing with Hodgson is he doesn't give off any passion and doesn't seem able to really motivate the team to high levels. Also, playing a flat 4 man midfield is all well and good if you have top class centre midfielders, which England don't. Why didn't he play a diamond formation last night? or something different?
So because he doesn't stand and waive his arms around he doesn't have passion?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:48 pm

No but just sitting there doing nothing doesn't give off the greatest of signals. The way he talks in press conferences doesn't fill anyone with confidence either. His strengths clearly lie with his ability to make his teams hard to beat, but England need to find a way to play to their strengths in Sterling, Ox, Sturridge, Barkley etc but I don't believe Roy is capable.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:49 pm

I do have to lol every time someone says a manager doesn't have passion just cos they sit down and don't run around like a lunatic on the sidelines
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm

Olly wrote:I do have to lol every time someone says a manager doesn't have passion just cos they sit down and don't run around like a lunatic on the sidelines

Look Sam Allardyce shouts allot on the touchline and I don't rate him as a manager. he's like the animated version of Roy haha. But, its what Roy says that wouldn't fill me with any confidence that he was the man to take this new England side into the future. I don't expect him there shouting and screaming, but his tactics and his press conferences don't fill me with the sense of excitement about England's future. The performance against Norway highlighted this.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:37 pm

Liam wrote:
Olly wrote:I do have to lol every time someone says a manager doesn't have passion just cos they sit down and don't run around like a lunatic on the sidelines

Look Sam Allardyce shouts allot on the touchline and I don't rate him as a manager. he's like the animated version of Roy haha. But, its what Roy says that wouldn't fill me with any confidence that he was the man to take this new England side into the future. I don't expect him there shouting and screaming, but his tactics and his press conferences don't fill me with the sense of excitement about England's future. The performance against Norway highlighted this.

Funny, Allardyce is one of the worst for not getting up and showing "passion". He spends a lot of time slumped in the chair, Neil McDonald is the one who gets up off our bench to shout most.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 05 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

Roy Hodgson is still only in the role because there simply isn't anyone to replace him. Not sure why any manager would want to replace him either. 

I am just glad that people are seeing Hodgson for his true qualities, which are incredibly limited, after it was deemed that Liverpool fans treat him unfairly. He was actually worse at Liverpool than he has been for England and still there is annoyance.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Sep 2014, 6:06 pm

Sturridge ruled out, solves an issue. Rooney up top, Sterling in the 10 & Welbeck most likely wide left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 05 Sep 2014, 6:13 pm

Bad for England though you feel, Sterling and Sturridge linking up was probably the only good thing from an England perspective last game. Not sure Sterling and Rooney will have the same chemistry.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 05 Sep 2014, 6:56 pm

Very good debate on England on the
Podcast this week. Check it out lads thumbsup

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 05 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

Listening now. Who's talking?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 9:59 pm

I believe VDT is the host now thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:01 pm

There seems to be three or four talking. Good chat. Rooney - jack of all trades master of none Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:03 pm

Crimey wrote:Bad for England though you feel, Sterling and Sturridge linking up was probably the only good thing from an England perspective last game. Not sure Sterling and Rooney will have the same chemistry.
I don't think Sturridge is anywhere near as good for England as he is for Liverpool tbf so it may not be a total disaster
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:09 pm

Olly wrote:
Crimey wrote:Bad for England though you feel, Sterling and Sturridge linking up was probably the only good thing from an England perspective last game. Not sure Sterling and Rooney will have the same chemistry.
I don't think Sturridge is anywhere near as good for England as he is for Liverpool tbf so it may not be a total disaster

Outside of the Germans and Spain, very few players are as good for their country as they are for their club*.

*an exception is Rooney who is keich for both.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:17 pm

Olly wrote:

Yeah I agree, but was less his individual ability, it was more the fact that I can't see Sterling and Rooney having the same chemistry as Sterling and Sturridge.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm

Did someone mention Nigel Clough as a future England manager? Shocked

England will definitely miss Sturridge, imo.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm

I read that Scholes would like to see Rooney play in midfield as he's our best passer.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm

Stella wrote:I read that Scholes would like to see Rooney play in midfield as he's our best passer.

Just goes to show you Paul scholes doesn't always talk sense.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm

Is Henderson available?

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:02 pm

rooney can play 60 yard cross filed balls brilliantly.........sadly he's terrible at the two yard simple passes

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

compelling and rich wrote:rooney can play 60 yard cross filed balls brilliantly.........sadly he's terrible at the two yard simple passes

You think?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:00 pm

I seen him playing a cross field ball brilliantly into touch against Norway. At least half an acre from a white shirt.

And to be fair, anyone half-decent can play floated cross-field balls. They are not really the sort of passes that'll cut decent teams open.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

Olly wrote:

Its England under Hogdson! Absolutely woeful tactician who could suck the enjoyment out of any game.

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:05 pm

liverbnz wrote:I seen him playing a cross field ball brilliantly into touch against Norway. At least half an acre from a white shirt.

And to be fair, anyone half-decent can play floated cross-field balls. They are not really the sort of passes that'll cut decent teams open.

I agree. The long cross field passes look great, but just switch play, which isn't a major problem for the other team.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

Stella wrote:
liverbnz wrote:I seen him playing a cross field ball brilliantly into touch against Norway. At least half an acre from a white shirt.

I agree. The long cross field passes look great, but just switch play, which isn't a major problem for the other team.

Well that depends on the situation, cross field pass during a counter usually opens up the other half of the pitch. Especially breaking from a free kick up the field / corner.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:11 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Stella wrote:

Well that depends on the situation, cross field pass during a counter usually opens up the other half of the pitch. Especially breaking from a free kick up the field / corner.

I had the ones from centre of the field to the RB, who is still thirty yards from goal, who then stops, and turns back inside. Ones over the full back can of course cause problems. Scholes was good at this. length and line perfect.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:35 pm

Rooney can at times play a delightful crossfield ball but unless it's incisive it is a fairly easy pass to pull off but it looks great so gets attempted all the time.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:09 pm

Can we please play like Scotland did last night mags isn't the big teams in future. They were outstanding and showed incredible passion. Tonight will be a blessing in disguise if we lose 3 or 4 0. Chance it could well happen as well.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:27 pm

Got a score draw written all over this. Think England should have enough to get a point but nothing more. Just can't see them winning.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

The result is pretty irrelevant, England will qualify almost certainly as they usually do. Possibly a 1-1, more likely a 0-0.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:17 pm

can sadly see us losing 1-0

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:25 pm

I'm an England fan, rare on here I know, so I'd take a point and I probably won't whine all night if we lose. Not saying anything with that, promise!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 08 Sep 2014, 5:30 pm

I can see it being similar to the last qualifiers where England do just enough to qualify.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next