The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS

+38
Steffan
catchweight
trottb
taguey
monty junior
RatBoy66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Mayweathers cellmate
Strongback
Marlonz
superflyweight
Fernando
Kareem61
terryaki01
22-2
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
sugarrayb
kingraf
Pedro147
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
Gerry SA
Haito
wheelchair1991
lfc91
Seanusarrilius
rob-glos
Hammersmith harrier
jimdig
theanimal316
All Time Great
AdamT
Adam D
owen10ozzy
3fingers
TRUSSMAN66
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
42 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS - Page 8 Empty Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 6:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evening everyone.

First fight in the way is Jamie McDonnell.

3 rounds in and I have him losing every one of them

Turning off now as neither can punch. I'll watch the footy and turn of after.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS - Page 8 Empty Re: Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS

Post by Strongback Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

For PPV there needs to be world class fighters on display. Without wanting to set out to disrespect Clev and Bellew they just aren't that level.

Clev also looked fearful of committing punches and his heart might not be in it any more. Bellew looks ponderously slow and inaccurate now he is blown up.

Not a great night for boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS - Page 8 Empty Re: Liverpool Fight Thread - SPOILERS

Post by milkyboy Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

... By the sounds of things, if clev wasn't injured, then it seems like he's gunshy and too wary to throw the right hand. Maybe the kovalev fight has finished him mentally.

I guess when your style was to outwork opponents, and you were happy to take a few because you're confident of your chin... When that belief in your chin has gone, so has your entire style.  I never rated him much before, but seems like he has some reinventing to do as the left hand only approach is unlikely to be the answer.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

Well, Kovalev did basically go all Drago vs Apollo Creed on him. Honestly don't think there are too many fighters in the world with the delusional mindset required to come back from that. You'd need to basically be a Bellew type individual mentally to take that type of lashing and think everything's rosy.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

Cleverly has said he sprained his right hand in the 3rd round. That doesn't sound right. He didn't throw any in the first two rounds. Must have come in injured.
I agree with the commentators being in on it. They didn't discuss it til the 7th.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:32 am

Agreed Milky, hope Sky put a bit of pressure on to get more bang for their buck. I don't fancy seeing can't punch (Bellew) and won't punch (Clev) a third time!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:33 am

Bellew was moaning after the fight to Kugan saying why is no one giving me credit i outworked someone who had a great engine etc

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:39 am

Well if Huck fights either of them next he'll have a field day. They're both a bit rubbish.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:56 am

Yeah that Ray Robbo-esque German will play with Bellew !! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:04 pm

Bellew's post fight presser. The humility is striking.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

I'll be honest I had a weak moment where I was considering purchasing it.........My moral compass diminishes with age..

But I thought the first fight was a bit of a stinker and I thought with them being fatter and slower it would be even worse....

Upset about Joshua.....I was 20 seconds out with my prediction.

Fairplay to Joshua he stopped the big lump ten seconds quickler than the guy in his last fight..

Shove him in with Wilder/Stiverne in 6 months time..

Audley next ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

I paid the 16 quid and enjoyed the card more than the night of strictly, xfactor and im a celebrity, which the wife had planned.

Clev outboxed Bellew literally one handed for the first half of the fight. The commentators saying he wasn't ramming it home was a tad unfair considering the lactic in his left shoulder woukdnt have had the chance to dissipate - because he was constantly throwing nothing but double and treble jabs.
I for one think it was great use of the jab, even those flicks were enough to put Bellew off balance so he coukdnt set himself for accurate power punches.

The size was difference, it drained clev, he hit a wall and didnt have the desire to find his second wind. Clev looks like hes lost the desire to win. He seems happy to compete and get paid. He should retire or move to light heavyweight, reassess his ambitions, and compete with ajisaf and dickinson.

Bellew is a huge puncher, regardless of what some on here might say. However, its not much use being powerful if you cant land a clean shot, or if your power drains by midway through missing or wasting energy throwing powershots at gloves and arms.

Jim Watt, throughout the fight, didnt stop saying Bellew was 'throwing the better punches' what he realy meant was 'Bellew was throwing the more powerful misses'..very biased comentrary.

Degale looked great, despite the other fellas condition, he came to fight but the ref stopped it early.

Grove didn't shine again (dont know what the commentators were talking about saying he looked brilliant against rebrasse). I think the way groves is performing of late shows how much Froch has slipped recently.

I'd pick Degale to beat both Groves and Froch.

Mcdonell is lucky to call himself a world champion. Quigg looked devoid of ideas against a limited, albeit extremely brave and tough, opponent. Frampton's takes that fight every day of the week.

Joshua looked great. I've had my reservations in the past but if he passes the chin and ''dig deep test' he'll be a champion for a long time.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

Have to be careful saying Bellew is a huge puncher..............

Julian Jackson , George Foreman are my idea of huge punchers Mate........

Bellew can sting for sure..............Seeing that fit blonde piece Cleverley has nailed and the huge purse he shipped for this turd I can see why he wanted out in one piece...Sounds like Cleverley lacked heart and tried to survive.

Can't see guys like Carl Froch/ Calzaghe/ Hatton types ever not leaving it in the ring.

Too much heart and pride.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

3fingers wrote:I paid the 16 quid and enjoyed the card more than the night of strictly,  xfactor and im a celebrity, which the wife had planned.

Clev outboxed Bellew literally one handed for the first half of the fight. The commentators saying he wasn't ramming it home was a tad unfair considering the lactic in his left shoulder woukdnt have had the chance to dissipate - because he was constantly throwing nothing but double and treble jabs.
I for one think it was great use of the jab, even those flicks were enough to put Bellew off balance so he coukdnt set himself for accurate power punches.

The size was difference, it drained clev, he hit a wall and didnt have the desire to find his second wind. Clev looks like hes lost the desire to win. He seems happy to compete and get paid. He should retire or move to light heavyweight, reassess his ambitions, and compete with ajisaf and dickinson.

Bellew is a huge puncher, regardless of what some on here might say. However, its not much use being powerful if you cant land a clean shot, or if your power drains by midway through missing or wasting energy throwing powershots at gloves and arms.

Jim Watt, throughout the fight, didnt stop saying Bellew was 'throwing the better punches' what he realy meant was 'Bellew was throwing the more powerful misses'..very biased comentrary.

Degale looked great, despite the other fellas condition,  he came to fight but the ref stopped it early.

Grove didn't shine again (dont know what the commentators were talking about saying he looked brilliant against rebrasse). I think the way groves is performing of late shows how much Froch has slipped recently.

I'd pick Degale to beat both Groves and Froch.

Mcdonell is lucky to call himself a world champion. Quigg looked devoid of ideas against a limited, albeit extremely brave and tough, opponent. Frampton's takes that fight every day of the week.

Joshua looked great. I've had my reservations in the past but if he passes the chin and ''dig deep test' he'll be a champion for a long time.

Been thinking the same... Has the second froch fight taken some of George's belief or did the first froch fight flatter groves' level? Didn't see him last night, but sounds like he made heavy weather of a guy who in theory shouldn't be any where near him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:45 pm

Most fighters struggle coming back from a big loss especially when KO'd. I'll give Groves the benefit of the doubt, he needs a rest and a rethink. Maybe he needs a proven top class trainer.

Adam Booth summed up Groves performance on Twitter in one word:

"Painful"

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

Maybe he's just not as good as we thought he was milkster...

You not think catching Froch cold and then beating on him till he recoverd properly around the 4th/5th...

May have flattered him....

You take the rounds where Froch was wobbly out of the first fight ...Froch dominated.

Watching him against the guy who went 12 in his last fight and degale on the Froch undercard............Look like two fighters in opposite directions.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

Anyone know how many buys the event got? Hearn said it was a success.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 23 Nov 2014, 1:27 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Clev/Bell is not a PPV fight no matter how much you hype it. You're right Hearn wants a new Benn v Eubank rivalry like his old man but that was real needle between the 2 back then
Along with the fact that Benn and Eubanks were world class fighters capable of putting on a great show unlike Clev and Bellew

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:26 pm

It may have been a success CW but I can't see anyone coming back to pay for more after watching that Dross.

Was okay for a friday fight night but not for PPV.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

Ive read through the reports, looks like it was a damp squib all round.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

Frank Warren on Twitter:

@frankwarren_tv
So Eddie Hearn is lying again. Saunders v Eubank is very much on! Hearn should instead worry about his own dreadful ppv farce last night.

1:51 PM - 23 Nov 2014

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

Frank must have had his mates over for a whip around

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

Dreadful night and the stoppages were farcical. England is fast becoming like Ottkes Germany.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

It was a farce. Bellew carried an injured Cleverley for 12 rounds whilst we had to listen to commentators who were not allowed to talk about the fact that Cleverley never threw a power shot all night. BBBC should seriously review this one.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

Yeah the standard here has gone to pot. You cant sit through a card without a minimun of a crap stoppage or horrendous decision. Its like it is a manatory obligation. You also then have the senile Jim Watt and clueless Nick Halling reading from whatever Sky Sports script Eddie Hearn is passing them in between rounds while a half cut Glen McCrory provides post fight analysis in between trips to the bar.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:55 pm

Bellew said in the post fight presser he is going to report Terry O'Connor for his scorecard.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

Terry O'Connor was only doing his job I am sure. A SD makes a Clevery/Bellew III "Unfinished Business" seem so much more appealing.

Having said that, by the sounds of it the fight stank enough that even a manufactured trilogy would be a hard sell. At least it gives Hearn the option once Bellew gets splattered by a half decent cruiserweight after promising a destrucition.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

catchweight wrote:Yeah the standard here has gone to pot. You cant sit through a card without a minimun of a crap stoppage or horrendous decision. Its like it is a manatory obligation. You also then have the senile Jim Watt and clueless Nick Halling reading from whatever Sky Sports script Eddie Hearn is passing them in between rounds while a half cut Glen McCrory provides post fight analysis in between trips to the bar.

Haha

good old Glenn. His contract will soon expire and he knows it but no one is more tedious then Jonny Nelson and his lame attepts at comedy. Paul Smith is just dull as dish water.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

catchweight wrote: while a half cut Glen McCrory provides post fight analysis in between trips to the bar.

You shouldn't be writing stuff like that..

You never learn do you ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

Get a life man. Seriously.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

catchweight wrote:Get a life man. Seriously.

It's libellous Mate.....It's you I'm worried about......I know your thick but....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

Get a life man. Im not joking. I will worry about Glens legal team.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

I don't mind you insulting me..........Because you haven't got a nice word for anyone or anything.......You nasty, cheap little boy !!

But it's twice you've libelled Mccrory now.......It's time you went back to school and learn't about the law...

BTW....Mccrory would be a cruiserweight If he fought nowadays !! Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Now give us a kiss !! raspberry raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

Yeah well I guess 26,000 posts tells it own story....

Nice to know you are looking out for Glen. Hes a decent guy.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:28 pm

Okay...already !!

Just looking out for you kiddo !! ... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

Are there any ways to tell if someone has an alias? Can't be bothered to start a new thread and I figured this one is the current most looked it.

Just curious

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:31 pm

Is this like the good cop/bad cop routine?

You are thick....

No Im just looking out for you kiddo....

Behold TRUSSMAN, master of psychology at work.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:31 pm

Who has an alias, Adam ??

You don't think it's me and this P***k do you..

Give me some credit !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

Bad cop is back

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

Naw Truss not you. You have knowledge

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

AdamT wrote:Naw Truss not you. You have knowledge

You humble me !! Cool

Do you know If I was Boxing these days I'd only be a Cruiserweight !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

So would I but I figure I could definitely fight light heavy

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

Theres plenty of ppv cards where you pay for the name rather than the quality of the bout.....haye/harrison, jones/hopkins 2 etc. This should have been a decent scrap, if not for Clev's presumed hand injury. I think a fair price would have been a tenner. Not being a sky sports or boxnation subscriber, I'd gladly pay a tenner 3 or four times a year for a similar card.

I went to edinburgh zoo on thursday, it cost nearly 34 quid for two adults. We were only in a couple of hours...it was pants...fair enough I saw a panda. Point being, it was 16.95 to get in; the same as this card. And the card provided more entertainment for longer.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

I dont think the analogy works. Thats the going rate for entry to a zoo. A better analogy would if you take a punnet of strawberries.....

Cards of Bellew/Cleverly standard should not be ppv at all nevermind on top of a subscription. Im stumped as to why anyone would defend that ppv card.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

Eh? The analogy doesnt work? It was real life man...it was me who went to the zoo and bought the card in the same week. Anyway, I went to blackpool zoo in october...it was ten times better than Edinburgh. Cheshire Zoo is supposed to be better still.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:05 pm

laughing

That is good Catchy. Genuinely L.O.L'ed
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

Don't take it too hard, fingers. It was his set up for the punnets comment, which I found very funny to be fair.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

It was mock outrage

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

I think the whole thing was a bit of a rip off excercise. I could get people paying the 16 quid and not being happy about it. But paying the 16 quid and being happy about it? Beyond my limited comprehension.

It was put to Hearn before about how he would manage a big stable with limited tv schedules. He said fans shouldnt worry and ppv would be reserved for only the biggest events. This was just a run of the mill card stuffed with mismatches at a rip off price. Hearn has bought up a lot of the domestic talent and probably had to make big promises to do so. I think Hearn has too many fighters on his books without enough tv dates to keep them all in pocket.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

And he has said this week his stable will get bigger

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

I doubt Cleverly or Bellew will have seen substantially more money than had this been a regular fight card. I think most of the excess money will have gone to Hearn to pay off his inflated stable on the undercard.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next