The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England - Match Thread

+92
MarcusHalberstram
John Cregan
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
formerly known as Sam
Steve_rugby
wolfball
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
Golden
Heaf
nobbled
Duty281
mystiroakey
boomeranga
Engine#4
Hood83
westisbest
Tiger/Chief
Cumbrian
Alex_Germany
Mickado
hugehandoff
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
No9
EnglishReign
MichaelT
asoreleftshoulder
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
HammerofThunor
TrailApe
kunu
Stewie15
TheRugbyMaster
the-goon
Gooseberry
theslosty
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
ME-109
Marshes
funnyExiledScot
Barney McGrew did it
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Nachos Jones
toml
profitius
FecklessRogue
Pot Hale
Steffan
Cowshot
yappysnap
dummy_half
doctor_grey
The Great Aukster
LondonTiger
Cyril
thebandwagonsociety
king_carlos
rodders
Sin é
sickofwendy
wrfc1980
Rugby Fan
thomh
MissBlennerhassett
No 7&1/2
beshocked
robbo277
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
Gwlad
quinsforever
The Fourth Lion
BamBam
Submachine
Poorfour
lostinwales
Geordie
fa0019
gregortree
SecretFly
Notch
stub
captain carrantuohil
WELL-PAST-IT
GunsGerms
96 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Who is going to win

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_lcap64%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 54 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_lcap33%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 28 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_lcap2%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Empty Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by GunsGerms Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know I am two weeks early but Ireland v England on Sunday 1st March will possibly be the 6 nations decider as both teams are the only two teams still undefeated in the 6 nations so far this year.

There are many different angles, plots and sub plots to this game. Here are some of the many things at stake:

Reaburn Shield:

Ireland have held it for 4 consecutive games having defeated previous holders SA in November.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raeburn_Shield

3rd place in rankings:

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Rating10

Triple Crown:

Only Ireland and England can still win this trophy and with due respect to Scotland and Wales who Ireland have yet to play to win it would be some achievement this year.

Grand Slam:

Only Ireland and England and win the slam.

6 nations title:
Obviously France and Wales are still in the running with only one loss but the bookies have Ireland and England as favorites at this point.

Millennium Trophy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Trophy

Eye on the WC:
The earliest Ireland and England could possibly meet at the WC is the Semi finals if they both win their pools and their quarter finals or both come runner up and win their quarters. Either way I think other fixtures such England v Wales and Ireland v France were more important for each nations WC preparations.

Ireland need one more win to tie their record of 10 sucessive wins.

Head to head record:
Overall: England 74 wins Ireland 46 wins
6Nations: England 7 wins Ireland 8 wins

Who is going to win and why?
http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/story/256583.html
Phil Vickery predicts an England win.

Teams:

England:

Ireland:

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm; edited 6 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by MarcusHalberstram Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

Cheers Ireland! See you in Cardiff in a couple of weeks!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by Notch Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

I'm very happy and very relieved.

I now have to go. Please be nice to each other.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

why wasnt that a try? my feed is killing me here

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

Well done Ireland - well played - deserved the win!
Gutted but credit to Ireland, easily the best on the day.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

quinsforever wrote:why wasnt that a try? my feed is killing me here

Apparently forward

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

quinsforever wrote:aviva's 50,00 refs getting the better of joubert too.

lets hope HQ has a similar impact on refs at RWC

I expect nothing less from you Quins..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

So, we decided to play a bit and wake up to Ireland on 70mins. V disappointing. Well done Ireland, totally out thought us. Kudos...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

nobbled wrote:Well done Ireland - well played - deserved the win!
Gutted but credit to Ireland, easily the best on the day.

have to agree, they managed the game far better than us.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

Also.. Yahoo

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

nathan wrote:Congrats Ireland, trying to work out which was worse. The reffing team or England

Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Pretty sure a few England fans are there also...

Hardluck England, an engrossing game of rugby and I feel huge relief at coming out of it with the win.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Ireland the deserving winner today. England gave away too many penalties in both halfs.

I said on another thread that based on the Ais. the 6ns should turn out Irelasnd winner England second. Though it could be England third, base on today's performance.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Griff wrote:
nathan wrote:Congrats Ireland, trying to work out which was worse. The reffing team or England

Erm

Just ignore me, I'm in a grump. I'll calm down later

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Ireland were far the better team. They didn't have to do anything special to be that, though. Good luck to Ireland for the slam.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Oh England, another 6 Nations season of missed opportunity, the usual expectation created by a superb start and so much promise cheaply squandered not by ambition, but by a shocking error and penalty strewn performance.

At least quinsforever will be happy

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Good win but England's descipline cost them.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Gwlad wrote:england falling apart, oh well, 2nd in the 6N Nations is their preferred position and indicates a level of consistency that is more important than winning

Thanks for your contribution, shouldn't you be more concerned about your own teams performance ?

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I expect nothing less from you Quins..
am i supposed to apologise for home advantage?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Best had a great game today, as did POM and Murray. Henshaw looks completely at home at this level.

Good to see SOB walking around

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Well done Ireland. Not looking forward to facing your intensity next week. And history suggests you do better in Cardiff than at home against Wales. Looking ominous for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

England were utterly gash.

Made it very easy for Ireland.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Ah well. Congrats Ireland. Very slick, very professional and outplayed us for 60 mins. Good to see us fight back but too little too late. A lot for the many inexperienced England players to learn from. The rub of the green wasn't with us, perhaps, but Ireland deserved that.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Are they going to show the forward pass at the end again?

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Also.. Yahoo

Fair enough!
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

england's kicking game was absolutely shocking. last year, farrell was much better kicking from hand.

this year, so few of the kicks were chased and certainly none were contested. cant understand the sense in that as i assume that was under instruction.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Joubert is not an international standard ref.

England seem to have several players that are not international quality players.

Ireland have a very good strategy and a well versed team. Don't look the same team without Sexton. Also thought Murray should have been man of the match not Henshaw.

Agreed, Murray held us together after Sexton went off. Madigan is not the player to defend a lead, more the player to go after a deficit. POM, Toner, BEST had huge games also. Best/POM are actually my two MOM

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:47 pm

Wow! Intense game!

Well played Ireland. Deserved win. A bit disappointed with England's lack of accuracy but Ireland were up for that.

Right, Wales... Do us a favour now pretty please. Thanks Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:48 pm

Very good win for Ireland. a master-class in breakdown play. Good presentation and clearing out, good jackling and slowing. Ireland played a very simple game most of the match and England had no answer to it.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:48 pm

Steve_rugby wrote:
Gwlad wrote:england falling apart, oh well, 2nd in the 6N Nations is their preferred position and indicates a level of consistency that is more important than winning

Thanks for your contribution, shouldn't you be more concerned about your own teams performance ?

Get back under your bridge son.
Good game - better team won.
Wales aren't involved - jog on.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

well done irish.

what can i say. good tactics.You done us in..It made for a horrid game to watch mind

But on a personal level; Nowel for May- seriously. that was insane. Bring May straight back

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

That was crazy how the momentum swung when Sexton came off, Madigan is so overrated.

Still Ireland had a big enough lead to get the win.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

Zeebs was very solid too. Dealt was nearly everything he was asked to.

Last edited by Golden on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

England were awful and Ireland did all they had to to win.

Still haven't shown the non try at the end, hmmmm I wonder?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

Steve_rugby wrote:

Yeah, we were superb v france and now ireland come to us with everything to lose….we always get better in the 6 Nations game on game and now if we beat Ireland and finsih in Rome we will win, again.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

How do the Welsh wums have an input on this?!?!

Well played Ireland, pack done us over and with Sexton playing you're bloody hard to beat. It's not pretty but it's winning rugby.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:52 pm

Golden wrote:Zeebs was very solid too. Dealt was nearly everything he was asked to.

Zebo did miss two tackles but otherwise had a stormer of a game. Earls really needs to get into this squad though.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:52 pm

Ah bugger! Well played Ireland - you didn't let us play for long periods today. I'm not dejected though I do think England will learn from this and with a couple of returning players will get better and will be a force to be reckoned with in the World Cup. The second half was better but not good enough - very frustrating from and English point of view... Have a great night Irish fans and enjoy the win. guinness thumbsup

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:52 pm

Still no replay, maybe it was a try?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well done irish.

what can i say. good tactics.You done us in..It made for a horrid game to watch mind

But on a personal level; Nowel for May- seriously. that was insane. Bring May straight back
Really? Thought Nowell did ok?
Morgan and Brown badly missed.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

Well done Ireland, by my reckoning you were better than us in the kick off, kicking from hand, the kick chase, rucking, discipline, line-out and the scrum...so just edged it :-)

That said, I don't think you needed to get out of 2nd gear. We were appalling. Actually as inaccurate and wasteful as I can remember us being in a long time. Very very disappointing and some questions for the players and coaching staff. Was Goode the right pick, would May have provided a better kick chase and threat? Can we get Care back as quickly as possible please? I don't think there's a single England player I'd give more than 5.

Final point. The ref team. Yee heavens they were bad.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

I'm sick of hearing "England will learn" we're blatantly not.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

Is it time we got ourselves a kiwi coach?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

nobbled wrote:

he got turned over about 5 times..

Yes Brown is obviously Key to England at present..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

nobbled wrote:
Steve_rugby wrote:

Get back under your bridge son.
Good game - better team won.
Wales aren't involved - jog on.

Where is there any reference to Wales n this post?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

TightHEAD wrote:England were awful and Ireland did all they had to to win.

Still haven't shown the non try at the end, hmmmm I wonder?

Interested to see that too!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I'm sick of hearing "England will learn" we're blatantly not.

Are we not? What are you expecting?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

Top performance from Ireland. Unless Gatland gets Wales firing on all cylinders (something we have yet to do this year) then I can't see us beating them

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Still no replay, maybe it was a try?

It was called for a forward pass, at real time I thought it was a harsh call as it looked flat. Would really like to see that again. It was the same linesman that called what was a clear knock back a knock on minutes earlier. Maybe he is a little squint?

Happy for the win though Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

Hood83 wrote:Well done Ireland, by my reckoning you were better than us in the kick off, kicking from hand, the kick chase, rucking, discipline, line-out and the scrum...so just edged it :-)

That said, I don't think you needed to get out of 2nd gear. We were appalling. Actually as inaccurate and wasteful as I can remember us being in a long time. Very very disappointing and some questions for the players and coaching staff. Was Goode the right pick, would May have provided a better kick chase and threat? Can we get Care back as quickly as possible please? I don't think there's a single England player I'd give more than 5.

Final point. The ref team. Yee heavens they were bad.

Just to say, the second and third paras are a whinge obviously. So hope the first para comes through. Enjoy the win Ireland and good luck for the Slam.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

nobbled wrote:

i thought nowell did fine too. what we miss from brown being injured is that he always breaks the first two tackles returning the kicks and that gives forward momentum. goode doesnt break tackles or have the same pace as brown.

nowell or watson and FB and the other at wing is what lancaster should have picked.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next