The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
Eyetoldyouso
Nay
golfermartin
1GrumpyGolfer
pedro
MustPuttBetter
westisbest
hend085
barragan
mystiroakey
SmithersJones
Bob_the_Job
lorus59
Mad for Chelsea
MontysMerkin
JAS
puligny
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
super_realist
raycastleunited
beninho
Davie
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
31 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

I saw the first two sets and a bit, then went out to get dinner. Wish I had stuck around to watch it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Oh my length is up there with some lower length tour level players. I am pretty sure I could out drive players like donald and maybe even poulter. But I do not have the same skill level. And by the way there are many like me. You are very naive to amatuer golfers if you truely believe what you say.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 pm

mysti

If you are claiming that you hit even 30% of your 3 woods as long as 260+ then you are operating at the very top end of club golfer skill levels.

I hope you don't just get offended by this next comment but consider it valuable advice.

I don't believe you hit the ball as far as you claim and think it laughable that you thought such a claim would go unchallenged. You are making a remarkable claim.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 10:19 pm

In summer conditions I would say 70% of my 3 woods carry over 250. I do use a tour 13 degree 3 wood.

Believe it or don't believe it. No skin of my nose

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm

mysti

Its not the impact on you that I care about. It is the impact on other posters who have to constantly filter through ridiculous claims of how far some hacker supposedly hits the ball. What did you gain from imaging that in some alternate reality you were able to reach the Belfry's 10th with a 3 wood?

We all like a little daydream, but just please don't bother posting yours on here, unless the content gets a lot more interesting.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Well I have reached it. I have hit the green 3 times in 20 and bounced of a few other times or gone into the water., or pulled it or pushed it to far ?There is no claim. I told an embarrassing story and you started it up- which you didn't need to.

As I said believe it or don't. It's really not even a tough thing to do for a top level(long hitting Amatuer)

Let's leave it as it is. But If you get the chance , try and play with some higher quality golfers . And maybe play the hole I am talking about!!! It might give you some insight.. The length of a risk /reward par 4 is all about carry length not actuall score card length

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Mysti

Unless I am mistaken, it is just a claim. Or is there some evidence I am missing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 10:35 pm

If you are ever in my neck of the woods, let me know. I will meet you at a golf range.

But before that lets drop the subject.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Sounds like the green eyed monster from Mac, can't accept other people can hit it further than him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 10:45 pm

mysti

I would rather not fraternise with the class of people who play the belfry. That place will forever be linked to lad culture and mondeo man types.

super

I would certainly like to be able to hit the ball that far, but surely as a fellow skeptic you are also troubled by such ludicrous claims so commonly made by golfers about how far they hit the ball.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm

To be fair to Mysti, Mac you have made far more ridiculous claims on here in your time.

Remember that time you claimed to have a girlfriend, now based on the evidence of your online persona it would seem a stetch. Unless of course like you she was full of hot air.

I also don't see why length must guarantee a low handicap. Not a remarkable distance but I drove it to 260 to miss a green by a couple of yards yesterday, proceeded to chip to 5 foot and 3 putt for a five. Unfortunately this a regularly happens due to an ever declining putting ability.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue May 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Mac, what a terrible snob you are. First of all, you don't even have a car, and whilst I personally wouldn't have a mondeo, there's nothing wrong with them.

On the subject of distance, I'm not especially long myself, but play or played with people who regularly carry a 3 wood 250, no problem at all.

I think a great many people are deluded about how far they can/should hit a ball, proven by how many come up short of the green, but I don't think that driving that hole at the Belfry is such an extraordinary claim that it requires extra ordinary evidence.

I once played with a player who had played The Masters as Silver Medal winner. There wasn't much between us from the tee, but he crucified me around the greens, and was the inspiration for the short game I now have. 150 yards is the difference between a decent club player and even a decent amateur.

I also think that using PGA tour averages is silly for two reasons.
1. The atmospheric differences are massive to the UK.
2. Distance is measured primarily over two holes (one up wind, one down) and do not specify the club hit.

Comparing yourself to a PGA Pro distance is futile as they could be hitting anything off the tee, whilst there is also a big difference between what someone carries a ball and what it ends up running. I've hit the odd 350 yard drive, downhill or downwind, doesn't mean I carry it that long, and I don't claim to.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 10:58 pm

McLaren wrote:mysti

I would rather not fraternise with the class of people who play the belfry.  That place will forever be linked to lad culture and mondeo man types.

super

I would certainly like to be able to hit the ball that far, but surely as a fellow skeptic you are also troubled by such ludicrous claims so commonly made by golfers about how far they hit the ball.

Oh come on Mac it might be a chance for to get laid. They ship girls in on coaches to the belfry nightclub... (Yeah you may have to pay for there services kiss )

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Just a thought - if length equates to scoring in the way suggested, why isn't the World Long Drive champion at least on the tour if not world No. 1?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 11:04 pm

super

Who was the silver medalist who caught your eye? Do tell.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue May 12, 2015 11:09 pm

McLaren wrote:mysti

I would rather not fraternise with the class of people who play the belfry.  That place will forever be linked to lad culture and mondeo man types.

super

Nice.

For info:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5546031,-1.7368075,166m/data=!3m1!1e3

From that view, I measure it to be maybe just under 205m (so, ~221 yards from the centre/back of the marked tee second from furthest - white?) to carry the water as the crow flies and maybe another 5-10 yards to reach the putting surface. Not sure re. error in Google's maps etc but it looks in range of a good ball striker with a driver/3-wood. A lot more risk that reward over time though I would think. 5-iron, pitch, gimme par or reasonably frequent birdie.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 pm

Super, I thought you hit your 3 wood 280? I know you play links but surely you don't get over 30 yards of roll out of a 3 wood?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Navy

I already made that measurement, I made it only a 199m (217 yard) carry. That doesn't change the claim that mysti made.

In fact it proves my point that he must be mistaken in thinking he carries his 3 wood 250 yards.

Also, isn't lad culture one of the most detestable movements ever to inflict our culture?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue May 12, 2015 11:29 pm

I make that 215m to carry the water from the second furthest back tee (the small one immediately behind what is presumably the large, yellow tee), so around 235 yards. 266 to the middle of the green. That is a long carry with a fading 3 wood but by no means unreasonable. I'm long-ish in my club, but have played with plenty of 2 and 3 handicappers who can comfortably hit it 30 yards past me. If someone can generate 105 mph with a 3 wood (particularly a low lofted one) and the wind is from the east for a change, then I'd say that was on.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 11:34 pm

But now you believe I can carry that green?

You are trying to spin it. But the fact is I hit a 3 wood on that hole because under good non windy conditions that is my clubbing. Of course I don't want to just pitch it 210 , you need to carry it a bit more.

Whether I carry it 250 or 235 isn't really material. The fact is Mac you are attacking me for talking BS. But the the facts are going against you. So and no disrespect. Accept it and move on. You assumed I would have to hit the ball 300 yards to get it on that green originally , and your problem is that you havehad zero knowledge of the hole I am talking about.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue May 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Its downhill as well isnt it? I've played the belfry a few times, and on my first time, I had a smack at the green, cleared the water and caught a tree and dropped just short. I'm a hacker playing off 21. If I can do it, then most half decent players can give it a good go.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 11:44 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I have hit the green 3 times . The carry is not the length of the hole. I would say it's about a 250-260 yard carry direct from the White tee as the crow flies

My driver in good conditions would just fly straight through. And bounce to hard

Playing of whites allways

So clearly your perception was that you carried your 3 wood at least 250 yards.

SO when I questioned this, you could have relented and admitted that in fact you don't carry your 3 wood but instead carry it about the 220 yards google maps suggests you would need to make it to the 10th.

DO you try and wriggle out of this, the clear implication of your argument was that you could carry your 3 wood 250/260 yards.

Are you now willing to admit that you in fact carry your 3 wood just over 220 yards?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 11:48 pm

No I can hit my 3 wood a bit longer than 220 on the carry for sure. When you factor in the shape you have to add a bit on.

My average carry may be anywhere inbetween 235 and 250 I would guess. But I can put a bit extra on it. But I will admit(especially these days it could be less than 250)

You stated that I was making a ridiculous claim that I could hit the tenth at the belfry with a 3 wood. The facts have proved you wrong. Can you admit that?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Have the facts proved me wrong?

The facts are that to reach the 10th at the Belfry you need a 220 yard carry. In what way has that proved you can carry a 3 wood 260?

Remember, I don't doubt that you can reach the 10th, I question whether or not you can carry a 3 wood 260 yards. Other than providing us with a method to measure the distance of a shot we could easily discount the Belfry's 10th from the argument.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue May 12, 2015 11:52 pm

Rolling Eyes

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue May 12, 2015 11:54 pm

You win Mac. Well done. I have to get some work done. Speak soon.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 12, 2015 11:56 pm

barragan wrote::roll:

Why roll your eyes.  I find challenging silly length claims worthwhile especially when we establish the truth. Without this conversation mysti and others may still have believed that he could carry a 3 wood 260 yards.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue May 12, 2015 11:58 pm

should that not be "willy length claims"?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 pm

just amused mac, by you both thumbsup

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 am

SmithersJones wrote:Super, I thought you hit your 3 wood 280? I know you play links but surely you don't get over 30 yards of roll out of a 3 wood?

I have hit 280 with my 3 wood, but I've never claimed to carry it that far, 30 yards of roll is not uncommon at all and 30 yards isn't actually very much, only about the length of
, but I'd say on average I'm carrying it about 245, the run out is dependent on a number of factors. 30 yards is only 6 Ford Mondeo's if we're using Mac parlance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 am

Meanwhile, better news that Kevin Pietersen won't be playing cricket anytime soon for England. Funny thing is all the social luvvies don't seem to get that Pietersen is a narcissist playing a team sport and they've all had enough of him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 am

326 is pretty impressive to say the least.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed May 13, 2015 12:48 am

A triple ton is the kind of score that might send Mac into Heart attack mode.(by the way did you know i once scored 100 6's on the spin)

But he can't do much more- he is missing out on big money IPL to try and prove his worth.

The things he did must have been so bad- He seemed to be let off for texting his saffa mates on how to get cook out already- so what else was it!!

We need to think about winning. The players dont seem happy anyway- We have root , anderson and ballance that look high quality- but that's it. I would pull him back in and just kick cook out if the problem is mainly between KP and Cook.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 12:49 am

KP nut is the epitome of the sporting scumbag. I'd put him up with Cole, 9C and Terry for sheer unpleasantness.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed May 13, 2015 12:55 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Plus you get the option of replaying the shot if it is a playing partners bag.

Don't think that's true Grumps. You must play as it lies.

I initially thought that (and got most of the way posting as such) but had a look, if I read the right rule you can choose to cancel the stroke and replay it.

Which rule Roller? Cos I checked the rules before I posted

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed May 13, 2015 1:27 am

golfermartin wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Plus you get the option of replaying the shot if it is a playing partners bag.

I initially thought that (and got most of the way posting as such) but had a look, if I read the right rule you can choose to cancel the stroke and replay it.

19-3 I thought. Although going back and looking again that only relates to match play! You are right in stroke play, my mistake sorry.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 am

Super

You mock the Irish but their keen eyed legal folks may save our Human rights after shy torries like navy ( Wink ) voted them away.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/12/scrapping-human-rights-act-would-breach-good-friday-agreement

Apparantly as part of the good Friday agreement “complete incorporation into Northern Ireland law of the European convention on human rights, with direct access to the courts, and remedies for breach of the convention, including power for the courts to overrule assembly legislation on the grounds of inconsistency”

It will be hard to knock the tattie munchers when they are more evolved in terms of human rights access than we are.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 1:45 am

Mac, I think you should take a look at their abortion laws before considering them more evolved in regards human rights. They force people to remain pregnant. How is that Human Rights?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed May 13, 2015 1:47 am

It is pretty poor form, but thanks to Navyites the UK is heading towards not having any human rights.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed May 13, 2015 1:49 am

How are they more evolved in regards to human rights?

Don't post articles just tell us. Because it seems you are missing the point.

In NI gay marriage is still illegal (not in the rest of the UK), and isn't that the whole point of this. So they can try to over turn the ban?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 1:49 am

Mac, there are parts of the HRA that need modifying. Surely you can't argue with that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 am

mysti

It was a bit of a joke. I know the Irish and NI's are backwards.

As part of the good friday agreement the UK guaranteed NI would have access to Human Rights Act and and the European court of human rights. If Dave removes the Human rights act he potentially breaks an agreement in the good friday agreement.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 am

I think saying the Tories plan to "Scrap the Human Rights Act...", and not add the other piece of the manifesto pledge "... and replace it with a British Bill of Rights" is disingenuous.

Legislation and Acts are updated all the time, and there are many Liberals who feel the HRA is no longer fit for purpose.  Of course you might feel that it's likely the new Bill will water down individual freedoms and the like, (probably in the name of security) and you're entirely within your rights to say that.  But to leave the hanging  implication that there will be no replacement and thus no rights and freedoms for the individual is misleading.  

Generally Bills of this nature are subject to a free vote, so in that case the possibility exists that the Tory someone might have voted for will, or could be persuaded to vote against the new Bill.  We call this democracy.

Even if it's not a free vote, it's still democracy in action and whinging about it could be seen by some as ironically Sergio-esque.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed May 13, 2015 1:57 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:I think saying the Tories plan to "Scrap the Human Rights Act...", and not add the other piece of the manifesto pledge "... and replace it with a British Bill of Rights" is disingenuous.

Legislation and Acts are updated all the time, and there are many Liberals who feel the HRA is no longer fit for purpose.  Of course you might feel that it's likely the new Bill will water down individual freedoms and the like, (probably in the name of security) and you're entirely within your rights to say that.  But to leave the hanging  implication that there will be no replacement and thus no rights and freedoms for the individual is misleading.

Indeed. clap

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed May 13, 2015 1:58 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:

19-3 I thought. Although going back and looking again that only relates to match play! You are right in stroke play, my mistake sorry.

No probs. Wasn't trying to catch anyone out or score points, just like to know if I've got it wrong. I have standards to uphold, as my club's resident expert! Very Happy

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 am

super_realist wrote:Mac, I think you should take a look at their abortion laws before considering them more evolved in regards human rights. They force people to remain pregnant. How is that Human Rights?
It protects the Right to Life of the unborn. At least we have a written Constitution protecting the rights of cirtizens- unlike some places...
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 2:27 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Mac, I think you should take a look at their abortion laws before considering them more evolved in regards human rights. They force people to remain pregnant. How is that Human Rights?
It protects the Right to Life of the unborn. At least we have a written Constitution protecting the rights of cirtizens- unlike some places...

Forcing someone to remain pregnant isn't a good idea, and the unborn does not have the right to make someone remain pregnant.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 am

golfermartin wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
golfermartin wrote:

No probs. Wasn't trying to catch anyone out or score points, just like to know if I've got it wrong. I have standards to uphold, as my club's resident expert! Very Happy

Rule 19.2 Penalty 1 stroke and drop as near as possible to the bag.
There is a general provision that a player can always declare a ball unplayable and take stroke and distance penalty.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 am

That's your opinion. Different cultures have different views on the matter. It's quite easy to avoid getting pregnant if you don't want to be, certainly much easier than going through the ordeal of an abortion.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed May 13, 2015 3:19 am

I hit my own bag two weeks ago. Sheer laziness on the 17th (and card was pony) - walked past my ball as it was in the rough, set my bag down, found the ball 20 yards back, pulled a club (23 degree hybrid) which squirted out low, hard and left. Hit my bag.

My penalty? I hit (unknowingly) right on the drinks bottle which split and leaked sticky orange Lucozade sport (other soft drinks are available) all over the inside of my bag, resulting in half an hour spent washing it out at home. And a ding of course.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 13, 2015 3:24 am

incontinentia wrote:That's your opinion.  Different cultures have different views on the matter. It's quite easy to avoid getting pregnant if you don't want to be, certainly much easier than going through the ordeal of an abortion.

I didn't say it was a contraception alternative.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next