The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
Eyetoldyouso
Nay
golfermartin
1GrumpyGolfer
pedro
MustPuttBetter
westisbest
hend085
barragan
mystiroakey
SmithersJones
Bob_the_Job
lorus59
Mad for Chelsea
MontysMerkin
JAS
puligny
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
super_realist
raycastleunited
beninho
Davie
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
31 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

I saw the first two sets and a bit, then went out to get dinner. Wish I had stuck around to watch it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Certainly seems a little suspicious.
Be funny if someone had beaten him on countback. Magic Pencil.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Does anyone believe that that was his realistic score?? I.e no 4 foot gimmes traded, a little nudge to a better lie in the rough, a mulligan or 2 thrown in for good measure??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Golf is full of cheats and charlatans so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:39 pm

The more extraordinary the claim the greater the evidence required. This story falls well short of being believable.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:52 pm

How would you evidence it Mac?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

JAS wrote:Does anyone believe that that was his realistic score?? I.e no 4 foot gimmes traded, a little nudge to a better lie in the rough, a mulligan or 2 thrown in for good measure??
If was was at TOC on a windless day then I would believe it. Anywhere else and it's a bit hard to swallow.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 pm

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the cynicism. Sure, he was playing with his sons but also with another Air Force Major. Are you saying that this is out and out cheating?
It's a bit unusual but think about it a moment - this is a 59 y/o who can maintain a +4 hcp, has had 22(?) aces previously, has won this event 20(!) times before, knows the course and it's 'only' ~6400 yards long. He's clearly a pretty special player.
In the absence of any other evidence, on balance I'd say one had to believe it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:57 pm

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, it simply raises a few eyebrows.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 am

Super

Was this you blowing your club champ winnings?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-33310503
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 am

Bloody hell. That's confidence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:59 am

Christ. Must know something about Djokovic that we don't.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:05 am

The Beeb are saying its a great draw as he doesn't meet Djokovic until the final but...and it's a very big but...to get to the final he will first have to beat Nadal in the quarters then Federer in the semis. So to win he has to beat the best 3 players this century one after the other (assuming Fed & Rafa don't trip up before the quarters/semis) tall order indeed!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 am

rafa seems very out of sorts though. reckong hes #1 suspect for an upset.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 am

hend085 wrote:rafa seems very out of sorts though. reckong hes #1 suspect for an upset.

Hope so, off court he's very gracious and gentlemanly, on court he's a total scumbag. Been great watching him getting gubbed the last two years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 am

It could flip one way or the other for Murray, my suspicion would be that if he were to beat Rafa & Fed in epic matches it would mentally drain him and Djokovic would eat him for lunch in the final. On the other hand it is conceivable that he could trounce both and feast on the confidence that would bring. I would tend toward the former though.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Don't think Murray has the beating of the Djoker at this time in their respective careers. Be great if he did it tho!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 pm

On grass Murray certainly does. Pumped Djokovic in the final two years ago.
I'd make Djokovic a favourite, but Murray is the best grass court player around. 60/40 in favour of Djokovic I'd say, but would never write Murray off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Aye. No point writting of the Scott yet. Especially with that partisan crowd Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Greece then...

Should they stay or should they go?
What's their best option?
What's our best option?
Whose fault is it?
Is regime change being foisted on a country by bankers or have the Sriza Party shot themselves in the head?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm pretty ignorant of the who situation and consequences really. I don't see Greece as a country which brings a great deal to the EU though.

.....i'm waiting for Mac's expert opinion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:00 pm

JAS wrote:Greece then...

1Should they stay or should they go?
2What's their best option?
3What's our best option?
4Whose fault is it?
5Is regime change being foisted on a country by bankers or have the Sriza Party shot themselves in the head?

Just my opinions of course, but:

1 For them, they should probably go, they never really fitted the EU and were almost shoe-horned in by an expansionist EU in times of cheap credit allowing them to piggy back off the other nations credit ratings. Don't blame them for trying to get in though. For the EU they should probably stay otherwise the question of "for evermore" (ie once you're in, you're in) would leave the EU with credibility/consistency issues that other nations would ask. For the UK they go and default and UK loses about £11bn owed but that needs to be balanced with what they could possibly bring going forward.
2 Massive structural reform, seems to be quite poor in terms of revenue raising infrastructure, ie a large portion of the economy is, if not black market, then grey market. If they can stay (and deliver required reforms), they might get away with pain now for a bright(er) future, but it's by no means a given.
3 Depends. I personally think there would be a case for letting them go and limiting dealings with them. But that could push a European nation closer to ties with Russia/China who might use it as leverage in the region in return for cash. It would also possibly be the first(?) instance of a hitherto presumed "developed" economy/country reverting to "third world" status (with apologies in case terminology is inappropriate) which is pretty unpalatable to "western" democratic thinking.
4 EU for the aforementioned shoehorning in of a nation economically ill suited to the EU in the first place.
5 The party in power was elected on a populist notion of ending austerity in an economic climate that can't possibly support the idea if the economic assumption is that what is owed should be paid. Something has to give.

Other things to note. Russia defaulted and worked through it (but had/has resources to sell to generate monies) as did Argentina.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

In other news, the tennis is Watson Vs Garcia. very much like a potential Ryder cup Sunday match up...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Super

Economic growth is the best road to fiscal health, so do whatever it is that will get the Greeks functioning like a proper country now and worry about debts later on.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Mac, I gather that Greece's problems stem from people retiring too early, a short working week and not enough taxes being paid.
I'd imagine those need addressed before economic growth can take place.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Uphill battle super, if they keep voting for a charlatan.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Mac's putting the Greek cart in front of its horse.
They surely need to start accepting the responsibilities of "functioning like a proper country" before giving them too much leeway - no sign whatsoever that Mr & Mrs Greece are getting their heads around that notion.

I'd cast them adrift with the one BIG reservation that we don't want Greece to go the way of the Arab Spring countries. We don't know their security liabilities with all the people trafficking etc - a dangerously weak entry point into Europe for immigrants with different agendas would be my biggest concern.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:

3What's our best option?
4Whose fault is it?
5Is regime change being foisted on a country by bankers or have the Sriza Party shot themselves in the head?

1 For them, they should probably go, they never really fitted the EU and were almost shoe-horned in by an expansionist EU in times of cheap credit allowing them to piggy back off the other nations credit ratings. Don't blame them for trying to get in though. For the EU they should probably stay otherwise the question of "for evermore" (ie once you're in, you're in) would leave the EU with credibility/consistency issues that other nations would ask. For the UK they go and default and UK loses about £11bn owed but that needs to be balanced with what they could possibly bring going forward.
2 Massive structural reform, seems to be quite poor in terms of revenue raising infrastructure, ie a large portion of the economy is, if not black market, then grey market. If they can stay (and deliver required reforms), they might get away with pain now for a bright(er) future, but it's by no means a given.
3 Depends. I personally think there would be a case for letting them go and limiting dealings with them. But that could push a European nation closer to ties with Russia/China who might use it as leverage in the region in return for cash. It would also possibly be the first(?) instance of a hitherto presumed "developed" economy/country reverting to "third world" status (with apologies in case terminology is inappropriate) which is pretty unpalatable to "western" democratic thinking.
4 EU for the aforementioned shoehorning in of a nation economically ill suited to the EU in the first place.
5 The party in power was elected on a populist notion of ending austerity in an economic climate that can't possibly support the idea if the economic assumption is that what is owed should be paid. Something has to give.

Other things to note. Russia defaulted and worked through it (but had/has resources to sell to generate monies) as did Argentina.

pretty much my take on it as well Roller, there is no easy way out either way, i get the impression their creditors patience have been tested beyond their limit. puts the EU in an impossible position really. if they do get kicked out Cyprus's fragile recovery will get blown out the water and they'll need another bailout.

Cheap holidays to both those countries once the dust settles, only problem there would be if the natives decide to take it out on the tourists.

i've got a mortgage with one of the Greek banks that are likely to go bust. Not a clue how that one will pan out as there are over 1000 of us currently trying to drag the bank through the courts for mis-selling the mortgage (long story but symptomatic of the financial lunacy and corruptness of the Greek banking system)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Now they seem to vote about it so that should put an end to this, either way?

Anyway I think Greece has dragged EU around long enough. It generates continouous uncertainties on the stock market, among interest rates and the currencies. I think the circus has to end.
I also think EU has to set precedence for ev similar future discussions with Spain or Portugal, ie. no more Mr Nice Guy.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 pm

I remember thinking when the euro was first introduced that this was the inevitable outcome - smaller economies furthest from the centre of Europe were bound to struggle when denied the ability to set their own interest rates. I even feared it may end in war. Don't think that will happen now, but who knows what may happen to Greece if it's set adrift.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:25 pm

I see Leicester have fired Nigel Pearson.
Some clubs will do anything to make the first managerial dismissal of the new season.
Or was it the final dismissal of last season?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:03 am

JAS wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:

3What's our best option?
4Whose fault is it?

pretty much my take on it as well Roller, there is no easy way out either way, i get the impression their creditors patience have been tested beyond their limit. puts the EU in an impossible position really. if they do get kicked out Cyprus's fragile recovery will get blown out the water and they'll need another bailout.

Cheap holidays to both those countries once the dust settles, only problem there would be if the natives decide to take it out on the tourists.

i've got a mortgage with one of the Greek banks that are likely to go bust. Not a clue how that one will pan out as there are over 1000 of us currently trying to drag the bank through the courts for mis-selling the mortgage (long story but symptomatic of the financial lunacy and corruptness of the banking system)

There, fixed it for ya.

As usual the banks are more than willing to shell out in the good times to anyone willy nilly, without a thought to what happens when things go jubblies up.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I see Leicester have fired Nigel Pearson.
Some clubs will do anything to make the first managerial dismissal of the new season.
Or was it the final dismissal of last season?
I foresee Pearson suing, quite rightly I imagine. Blame the father for the (alleged) sins of the son? Sorry, Leicester will be paying Pearson methinks. Hard to imagine those that run football could be any more stupid, but there we go.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 am

You could make an argument for the sacking of Pearson and also make an argument for keeping him. Whether the decision is wrong or right, the timing is very odd indeed. Why not sack him weeks ago?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 am

Football is a joke.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Anyone else staying up late tonight to watch the girls take on Japan in the semi-final? Sadly I have to confess that I haven't missed an England game this tournament...well it's not often you get to see an England football team doing well in a World Cup, or any other competition come to that!!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Blue

I will watch it if I am up. Japan vs Australia was a pretty good game so hopefully this will be too.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I watched the quarter final against Canada and will hopefully be home in time for the end of the first half tonight.

Saw the second half of the US/Germany game. USA got some favourable decisions go their way; no red card for the penalty they conceded and then awarded a penalty for a foul outside the box. Could have been very different; maybe that luck will run out against the Lionesses!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Grumps,
Also watched most of that game; Germany seemed to go to pieces after their penalty miss, very unGermanic I thought.

Will definitely be watching tonight's action - Football may have its David Gold and golf has its Mark Silvers but what a name Lucy Bronze is! You couldn't make it up!! (A couple of super goals as well!!!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 pm

How is it that at Wimbledon, the men are excellent specimens of athleticism, yet so many of the women have beer bellies.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Super's infatuation with body image continues. Perhaps a little extra weight suits a female tennis player? Or maybe they just aren't as obsessed about physical perfection as the men. Personally I found the girl playing Williams V pretty delightful to watch and Daniela Hanchotova against Heather Watson was also a pleasure to watch despite Hanchutova being a shadow of her former self (in tennis form at least). Wasn't she a one time ex of Sergio?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Hantuchova is in good shape, as is Watson. Women tennis players do have superb legs though.

I simply find it astounding that in a sport played on such miniscule margins, a coach allows a player to carry a bag of sugar around their waist.
You wouldn't get it in Athletics, and tennis is just as if not more demanding. Seems rather surprising. I'd have thought simply being a tennis player would inhibit the formation of such a handicap.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:50 am

How cruel, feel so bad for Laura Bassett. Not sure Japan deserved that win.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:53 am

Not sure about the first half-hour, but England outplayed Japan after that. Heartbreaking.
The Semi's of own goals and, especially, penalties.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:07 am

Mark Sampson seemed to be fighting back the tears in his post match interview.

Well done to the Lionesses, absolutely amazing to have gotten this far. Congratulations on a fantastic tournament.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:29 am

The finest of margins and the saddest of exits. I thought we deserved to win...Jill Scott's header, Toni Duggan against the bar, Ellen White's curling shot just tipped away...all so close to giving us the lead in the second half.

Not looking forward to a busy day in the office in a few short hours!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:42 am

No shame in a semi final. Well done to England. The mens team would kill for a QF right now, so a semi in a world cup is a pretty good achievement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Nice to see that horrible little rat Nadal go out early for the fourth year in a row.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Saw the highlights.

Great display from Brown.

Makes the tournament seeing the big guns go out.
Quite like Nadal, prefer him to the drips, Federer & Murray.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:55 am

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bubba-paint-over-confederate-flag-general-lee/

Will we see him re-paint it in rainbow colors then??? Shocked

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:05 am

pedro wrote:http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bubba-paint-over-confederate-flag-general-lee/

Will we see him re-paint it in rainbow colors then??? Shocked

Or perhaps a French tricolour

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next