The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

+36
sensisball
GLove39
funnyExiledScot
madmaccas
RDW
VinceWLB
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
nickj
MacKnocked-on
EWT Spoons
thebandwagonsociety
Tattie Scones RRN
des
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Weegie Wizard
CraigS1874
takethelongroad
R!skysports
Converter
Majestic83
IanBru
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Prothero
Nematode
justified sinner
TJ
Eejit
demosthenes
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
cakeordeath
RuggerRadge2611
40 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by IanBru Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:53 pm

Riskysports wrote:Normal service resumed

6 Glasgow 7 4 0 3 177 158 6 22
7 Edinburgh 7 4 0 3 113 101 2 18

Unfortunately, as a slightly slow start from Glasgow - we might not be in  a position to 'throw Edinburgh a bone' and allow them some ego boosting 1872 silverware this year

Very Happy  Hug

Yeah, we're nice, but we're not that nice. Time for the much-vaunted (well, vaunted) Edinburgh midfield to meet Messrs Dunbar, Bennett and Horne.

P. A. R. T. Y? Because I've gotta!
Yahoo
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:07 pm

IanBru wrote:
Riskysports wrote:Normal service resumed

6 Glasgow 7 4 0 3 177 158 6 22
7 Edinburgh 7 4 0 3 113 101 2 18

Unfortunately, as a slightly slow start from Glasgow - we might not be in  a position to 'throw Edinburgh a bone' and allow them some ego boosting 1872 silverware this year

Very Happy  Hug

Yeah, we're nice, but we're not that nice. Time for the much-vaunted (well, vaunted) Edinburgh midfield to meet Messrs Dunbar, Bennett and Horne.

P. A. R. T. Y? Because I've gotta!

Brubro, for someone who spent a large part of the World Cup singing with septuagenarian ladies that is extremely down with the kids.
That said, the Annual Slaughter of the Effeminates will most likely be business as usual after last season's lapse in concentration.
Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:08 pm

And I've messed up the quote function thingy again. Doh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:And I've messed up the quote function thingy again. Doh

It really isn't difficult - just type your text after the /quote] bit!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:And I've messed up the quote function thingy again. Doh

It really isn't difficult - just type your text after the /quote] bit!

Yes it is soooo easy

Doh!

Doh again!

Arrrrgh let me out.......

Doh!

Free

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:42 pm

I'd have got away with it too... if it hadn't been for you pesky kids.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 09 Nov 2015, 5:03 pm

Old Man Withers!!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Nov 2015, 5:07 pm

Does he?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Nov 2015, 6:46 pm

George Carlin wrote:BigGee - would you ever consider retiring there?

My wife (French being first language) is currently obsessed with deciding where in France we should retire. Despite the fact that we are probably 20 years away from being able to.

I could certainly think of worst places to see out our days and I am a fair bit closer to that point in time than you (8 years, not that am counting!). My wife is Italian but interestingly would probably prefer France to Italy. At the end of the day though, I know that other well known Italian trait will kick in and she won't want to be to far away from her kids!

I am lucky that I probably could live just about anywhere. Just as well, as I am unlikely to be involved in the choice!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:53 am

Btw, rumors that Denton is off to Bath now abound. Anyone else heard this? They have cash to burn now Burgess is off the books and a spare 6 jersey.

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Nov 2015, 5:24 am

takethelongroad wrote:Btw, rumors that Denton is off to Bath now abound.  Anyone else heard this? They have cash to burn now Burgess is off the books and a spare 6 jersey.
I just posted about that on the Transfers thread.

It makes sense - there is a strong possibility this season that he will be playing at lock at lot and we know that he'd rather give himself an enema with a golf umbrella than spend time with his head between Ford and Dickinson's arses. Couple that with the massive competition amongst loose forwards at the moment and I would grab this chance if I were him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 6:40 am

It was a bit iffy that he was rested again this weekend when everyone else from Scotland was back.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:41 am

Edinburgh peeps, are you happy with the Denton rumours?

From a Scotland perspective I'm pretty pleased; with Denton, Du Preez, Manu, Watson, Grant and Hardie, plus the youngsters Richie and Bradbury (the later of whom I rate really highly), there was no way everyone was going to get the game time needed to progress, so something had to give.

From Denton's perspective, it's a great move. He'll see if he really is as good as people say, and his international game has a chance to take a leap forward. He might score a try. It's a mad, mad world.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:50 am

I wouldn't say happy - he has given his all for Edinburgh over the years and is a popular member of the squad. His emotion after we finally won the 1872 cup says it all.

Saying that, I don't think this will have a massive effect on the squad - as you have said we do have class players in his positions (Du Preez was excellent against Munster) and it will mean more time for Bradbury and Ritchie - who both will be future Scotland players IMO.

And I agree that it will be an excellent move for him - it should be great for his development. He will be forced out of his comfort zone and will need to work on his weaknesses. In Visser's 2 games for Quins he's already shown more attacking threat than he did over the whole of last season for Edinburgh.

I remember when he signed his last deal with Edinburgh he said that it was because he was really targeting the world cup and knew that Edinburgh was the best place for him to be to do that. Now that's done he may be looking to the next stage of his career and taking things to the next level.

The massive pay increase would probably help too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:52 am

Also, I've just seen that Denton's only 25. How is that even possible?

The next four years are the absolute peak of his career, so I'd love to see him win something with a big club.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:56 am

From an Edinburgh point of view I don't think we should use his salary rashly and replace him with another solid yet unspectacular Southern Hemisphere import. I also don't think we need to bring in another back row to replace him.

It is painfully obvious that we are lacking class at 10, but what is less obvious is what to do about it. There won't be many players available at this stage of the season and we certainly shouldn't panic buy anyone.

Rory Clegg would have actually been a good fit for Edinburgh - very solid all round game and a good kicker.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

Carter! Lets use the massive wages that Dents was on to hijack Carters move to Racing.

Can but dream eh. But yeah I agree with RDW, we need a 10, its the weakest part of our team, and it would be good for Kinghorn to learn from someone who is competent in that position, rather than Tonks (learning the role himself), Burleigh (again learning the role), Te Rue (enough said).

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:45 am

With regards to Denton moving on. It's a shame from an Edinburgh perspective as he's a good player and whilst some of his play is questionable (can't pass for example) he does give his all.

From a Scotland viewpoint, this should be a good move for him to progress and does free up space for Ritchie or Bradbury to try and take his spot in the team at Edinburgh.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:46 am

IanBru wrote:Also, I've just seen that Denton's only 25. How is that even possible?

The next four years are the absolute peak of his career, so I'd love to see him win something with a big club.

Ouch! Kitty got claws.

I think the move would make sense for Denton and help him take his game to the next level. With Magnus Bradbury ready to take the next step, it would work nicely from a Scotland perspective. We'll miss him as a player at Edinburgh. Not a complete player by any means, but his ball carrying is relentlessly physical and abrasive and his performances at the World Cup have shown that he's come a long way as a player.

That all said, Manu, Du Preez and Bradbury will serve us well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:19 pm

Also worth saying that I think it is sad he won't have a chance to say goodbye to the club and fans.

Even if this was on the cards since before the Munster game it is a shame he wasn't included in the squad.

Or, giving the benefit of the doubt, it maybe only happened in the past few days!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

takethelongroad wrote:Btw, rumors that Denton is off to Bath now abound.  Anyone else heard this? They have cash to burn now Burgess is off the books and a spare 6 jersey.

That's crazy, I posted on a Bath forum yesterday that they should look at an Edinburgh player as we're overstocked in the back row as is, and Denton would be the best bet!

I'd better get some numbers down on the Euro Millions!

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:51 pm

Oh and I think it's just the change he needs. He looks too comfortable at Edinburgh and could do with a challenge. I think we saw this in the RWC when he was out of his comfort zone he was spurred on,

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:59 pm

One interesting point, Denton is still under contract till 2017, so there will be a transfer fee to Edinburgh - that or they'll do a swap.

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:00 pm

This suits Edinburgh as well as Denton.

Denton gets to start in the Champions Cup and compete for top 4 in the Aviva (a little bit of extra money as well but that does not matter...). Forces him to develop his hands a bit with the backs that Bath have taken from other teams (has someone got a count of how many players have come through their own academy that start?).

Edinburgh reduce the logjam at 6/8 although whether Solomons uses that for Ritchie and Bradbury is another matter. The money should go to an experienced 10, but none come to mind as available AND known as a quality player. Ihaia West is a good, young 10 in Super Rugby, but not sure what his chances are for NZ and would prefer more experience. Gopperth would have been perfect in my mind!

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

madmaccas wrote:One interesting point, Denton is still under contract till 2017, so there will be a transfer fee to Edinburgh - that or they'll do a swap.

A good swap would be

Denton for a weekend Spa and pampering package in the famous bath waters for the Louvies

|Great way to keep their soft skin glowing through the barren waters of mid table

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:25 pm

I think we should ask for George Ford in return. Seems fair, plus they have Priestland now.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:28 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:This suits Edinburgh as well as Denton.

Denton gets to start in the Champions Cup and compete for top 4 in the Aviva (a little bit of extra money as well but that does not matter...). Forces him to develop his hands a bit with the backs that Bath have taken from other teams (has someone got a count of how many players have come through their own academy that start?).

Edinburgh reduce the logjam at 6/8 although whether Solomons uses that for Ritchie and Bradbury is another matter. The money should go to an experienced 10, but none come to mind as available AND known as a quality player. Ihaia West is a good, young 10 in Super Rugby, but not sure what his chances are for NZ and would prefer more experience. Gopperth would have been perfect in my mind!    

Damien Mckenzie of the Waikato Chiefs is on the forum list of SQ players but again he's a very young kiwi player like Te Rure so who knows if he would succeed straight away in the Pro12. Hard to think of any other more experienced SQ 10s who would be available.
Cotter should tell Denton to have a word in Adam Hasting's ear about not going down the playing for England route as has been rumoured on these forums.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:47 pm

Oh come on, the Hastings playing for England rumour was scotched (pun intended) by the player himself when he signed for the Bath academy, and fairly well rubished on this forum. Where did the rumour even come from?

Plus, if he even considered it, I'm sure his father and uncle would have a few choice words. Failing that, an hour in a small room with 'Uncle' John Jeffrey, a lightbulb and a wicker chair with the seat cut out would put his head straight.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that Oor Nicky has 'Hastings plays for England' as a viable trigger for Indyref 2...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

Damien Mckenzie will be in the all black squad to play the lions in 2017, he is better than Edinburgh.
Its scary to think how young Adam Hastings is hes not even played for the under 20s I don't think?

I know he isn't a big signing but I would love to see Lee Millar given a shot at Edinburgh, solid player at gala but never given a pro contract.

Anyway what is Tommy Allan doing these days Whistle

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 2:09 pm

Confirmed

Edinburgh Rugby have agreed to release David Denton to join English Premiership club Bath Rugby, subject to medical.

The 32-times Scotland capped back-row, who can switch between blindside and no 8, made 78 appearances for Edinburgh, with 74 of those in the starting XV.

Denton’s most recent start for the club came against Munster in April this year and he scored eight tries for the capital club, the latest in the away win over Scarlets in March.

Denton said: “I’ve had an incredible six years at Edinburgh and came to call it my home.

“It’s been the hardest decision I’ve ever made, as I am going to miss the club, but I am really looking forward to an opportunity to play at one of the premier clubs in Europe.”

Edinburgh Rugby head coach Alan Solomons said: “David has made an invaluable contribution to Edinburgh, both on and off the field, and I’m sad to see him go, both as his coach and personally.

“He’s been a model professional. His powerful performances and work ethic have been outstanding, and his commitment to the club over the years has been an inspiration to many of our younger players and supporters.

“I know this wasn’t an easy decision for him and I, and everyone at the club, wish him all the very best for the future.”

The 25-year-old, born in Zimbabwe, arrived in the capital aged 18, to study Economics at the University of Edinburgh and kicked off his rugby career in Scotland playing for Edinburgh Academicals’ 3rd XV.

Eligible for Scotland through his Glasgow-born mother, Denton progressed to represent Scotland under-20, and earned an Academy contract before being signed by Edinburgh Rugby for the 2010/11 season.

He made his professional debut off the bench against Ulster and quickly became an integral member of the squad, before making his international debut against Ireland in August 2011 in a RWC warm-up match.

Scottish Rugby Chief Executive Mark Dodson said: “This move represents an excellent opportunity for David to gain new experience in another playing environment.

“It came out of the blue, and while it wasn’t an easy decision, we weren’t going to stand in the way. Edinburgh Rugby is well covered in the back row department and this gives young, local talent like Jamie Ritchie, Magnus Bradbury and Hamish Watson further opportunities to play.

“David has been an excellent player and ambassador for Edinburgh and we look forward to him continuing to be available for Scotland national team duties, when selected.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Nov 2015, 2:12 pm

madmaccas wrote:One interesting point, Denton is still under contract till 2017, so there will be a transfer fee to Edinburgh - that or they'll do a swap.
The Daily Fail (who correctly called this one early) said that Barf had agreed to pay out "the remaining 6 months" of DD's contract.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 10 Nov 2015, 3:01 pm

CraigS1874 wrote:I know he isn't a big signing but I would love to see Lee Millar given a shot at Edinburgh, solid player at gala but never given a pro contract.:

Actually he did get a pro contract at London Scottish. Unfortunately he's not been able to nail down a starting spot and has been fighting with Dan Newton for the position.

To be honest, I've been slightly disappointing by his performances. He's not really kicked on in the way Jamie Stevenson has (who has just moved on to Coventry Wasps).

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Nov 2015, 6:52 pm

A move that makes sense all round. Edinburgh have way to many good and developing back row players. Denton is in need of a new challenge. He had a very good WC and may yet become a Lion. I don't think that would ever have happened if he had stayed. I am sure he would have moved on at the end of this contract anyway. He has done his time at Edinburgh and owes them nothing, airways gave 100% and has not reached his full potential yet.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:45 pm

Absolutely gutted about Denton leaving, not only we will miss him as a player but it also means we will have to deal with Coman even more so.

Also disgusting Denton didn't get a last appearance to get a round of applause which he richly deserves for his commitment throughout the years as this was presumably planned many weeks ago.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:50 pm

I don't think it has been long planned - Burgess only made his decision on Friday remember. Mark Dodson said himself it has come out on the blue at short notice.

Hopefully he'll still be about on Friday and get a presentation at half time or something?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:02 pm

It's a strange one and i don't think Edinburgh would have signed Manu had Denton stayed for the whole season. Could be wrong mind but we were lured into a false sense of strength in depth in the back row!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm

VinceWLB wrote:It's a strange one and i don't think Edinburgh would have signed Manu had Denton stayed for the whole season. Could be wrong mind but we were lured into a false sense of strength in depth in the back row!

Denton was always likely to move on at the end of this contract. In all honesty they were lucky to hang onto him last time, Leicester were making noises then. Manu is going to be available week in week out, with international calls, Denton won't be. This was actually a decent bit of business, the same as dragons wanted to do with Faletou before Gatland scuppered it. Manu is a decent replacement and will cost a lot less. We will get to see what Bradbury and Ritchie can do now as well.

The old truth also still holds good. We will always have to let players move on to allow the next generation to come through

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 Nov 2015, 8:44 am

Agree with BigGee on this. For the "two team" approach to work for Scotland, we need established internationals to move on when the time is right to allow the next generation to come through. I also agree that Denton could well benefit from this as a player. Bath are an exciting rugby team very much on the up. It'll test Denton and make him a better player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:06 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agree with BigGee on this. For the "two team" approach to work for Scotland, we need established internationals to move on when the time is right to allow the next generation to come through. I also agree that Denton could well benefit from this as a player. Bath are an exciting rugby team very much on the up. It'll test Denton and make him a better player.
Agreed. And in addition to that, he'll already be familiar with being unable to catch Niko Matawalu on a rugby pitch.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:07 am

I'd almost forgotten Niko had moved to Bath - anyone know how he is getting on??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:08 am

He scored at the weekend.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agree with BigGee on this. For the "two team" approach to work for Scotland, we need established internationals to move on when the time is right to allow the next generation to come through. I also agree that Denton could well benefit from this as a player. Bath are an exciting rugby team very much on the up. It'll test Denton and make him a better player.

I think this is a good view on what the SRU/Edinburgh were thinking as well. I'm not sure that is the way we should be going. The medium term aim must be to have a third pro team in Aberdeen. There are obviously loads of hurdles to clear before that happens but one of them is for us to have enough Pro12 standard players playing in Scotland to give reasonable coverage to 3 squads.

Starting fairly soon we will need to hold on to these guys and add the academy players coming through to the playing pool so that only a few extra imports are needed when (if) that is ready to happen. Realistically it won't happen for at least 5 years so I can understand them letting a 25yr old go, but younger guys than Denton will need to be persuaded to stay.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:15 am

That doesn't tell the whole story with Niko though - he could also have had 9 knock ons, 3 intercepted passes, 6 passes thrown behind his stand off, 18 line breaks and a red card!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:31 am

You mean a quiet game by his standards, then?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 Nov 2015, 9:56 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:

I think this is a good view on what the SRU/Edinburgh were thinking as well. I'm not sure that is the way we should be going. The medium term aim must be to have a third pro team in Aberdeen. There are obviously loads of hurdles to clear before that happens but one of them is for us to have enough Pro12 standard players playing in Scotland to give reasonable coverage to 3 squads.

Starting fairly soon we will need to hold on to these guys and add the academy players coming through to the playing pool so that only a few extra imports are needed when (if) that is ready to happen. Realistically it won't happen for at least 5 years so I can understand them letting a 25yr old go, but younger guys than Denton will need to be persuaded to stay.

I see a 3rd pro team as more of a longer term view than medium to be honest.  Ignoring the issues with getting another team into a league which would force massive changes in fixtures and the season as a whole.  The main issue as I see it is both Glasgow and Edinburgh are operating at a loss, adding another mouth to feed from the SRU money pit isn't sustainable at this time and I can't see much changing in that regard.

The only way the two pro sides can become sustainable is getting folk through the gates.  Glasgow sadly have limited themselves with the size of their stadium but are trying new things to meet demand (and good on them), Edinburgh currently have no issues with meeting demand, but all this talk of moving to a much smaller stadium would limit us as well, so we need to bare this in mind when planning any future move.

The only other way is if some foolhardy investor wanted to set up and run a 3rd team from Aberdeen, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

So realistically we need to keep offloading players to the Aviva and teams outwith Scotland to free up space to bring new players through, which does require that they are given a shot.  Hopefully Bradbury/Ritchie are given chances this year, because if Solly sticks with Du Preez, Manu, Coman (at 6 & 8) for most the season then it defeats the purpose of letting Denton go.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling - changed man issue to main issue. Man issue sounds like something Pele would advertise pills for.)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:05 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:

I see a 3rd pro team as more of a longer term view than medium to be honest.  Ignoring the issues with getting another team into a league which would force massive changes in fixtures and the season as a whole.  The man issue as I see it is both Glasgow and Edinburgh are operating at a loss, adding another mouth to feed from the SRU money pit isn't sustainable at this time and I can't see much changing in that regard.

The only way the two pro sides can become sustainable is getting folk through the gates.  Glasgow sadly have limited themselves with the size of their stadium but are trying new things to meet demand (and good on them), Edinburgh currently have no issues with meeting demand, but all this talk of moving to a much smaller stadium would limit us as well, so we need to bare this in mind when planning any future move.

The only other way is if some foolhardy investor wanted to set up and run a 3rd team from Aberdeen, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

So realistically we need to keep offloading players to the Aviva and teams outwith Scotland to free up space to bring new players through, which does require that they are given a shot.  Hopefully Bradbury/Ritchie are given chances this year, because if Solly sticks with Du Preez, Manu, Coman (at 6 & 8) for most the season then it defeats the purpose of letting Denton go.

^
This

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

I see Glasgow have signed a big angry-looking Georgian to cover the injuries to Kev Bryce and Fergus Scott.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

Sad news about Denton, he'll be missed. He'll do very well at Bath though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:32 am

Fair point spoons but does it come at a cost?

Shipping our best players out is good for the development of younger players but does that then make Edinburgh & Glasgow less competitive in the league? There is a danger of the teams becoming less successful which in turn decreases the amount of spectators attending matches. People go to watch their team when challenging for honours. It would also inhibit any progress in Europe.

We need to keep the best players in Scotland. Start winning competitions and build from there. Grow the interest, increase the revenue streams and provide the platform for another team or two.

I don't see why the Pro12 can't introduce an A league similar to the Aviva's model. In that way, fringe players get exposure to a higher standard of rugby than the BT Premiership.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 Nov 2015, 11:08 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Fair point spoons but does it come at a cost?

Shipping our best players out is good for the development of younger players but does that then make Edinburgh & Glasgow less competitive in the league? There is a danger of the teams becoming less successful which in turn decreases the amount of spectators attending matches. People go to watch their team when challenging for honours. It would also inhibit any progress in Europe.

We need to keep the best players in Scotland. Start winning competitions and build from there. Grow the interest, increase the revenue streams and provide the platform for another team or two.

I don't see why the Pro12 can't introduce an A league similar to the Aviva's model. In that way, fringe players get exposure to a higher standard of rugby than the BT Premiership.

Totally agree. There is the risk that fans will get sick of losing their best players season after season and get turned off from the pro sides, but it's the Scotland games that bring the revenue to the SRU. So even if say 1k fans left Edinburgh & Glasgow, it probably wouldn't significantly impact the revenue the SRU bring in, especially if offset by younger (aka cheaper) players replacing the big earners in the team.

In an ideal world we'd keep the best players and it would be an Edinburgh, Glasgow 1,2 (in that order Smile ) every season, but realistically it's not going to happen.  The clubs need to balance their books, and International Scottish players, such as Denton & Visser are probably earning a fair wedge

I think the issue with an A league in the pro 12 is the travel costs.  The Aviva can get away with it as it's all one country and worst case scenario the players can be bussed around.  Pro12 don't have that luxury so clubs would have to pay for two squads of players travelling round the country.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be a great idea, but I think the clubs wouldn't back it due to the associated costs.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next