The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

+36
sensisball
GLove39
funnyExiledScot
madmaccas
RDW
VinceWLB
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
nickj
MacKnocked-on
EWT Spoons
thebandwagonsociety
Tattie Scones RRN
des
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Weegie Wizard
CraigS1874
takethelongroad
R!skysports
Converter
Majestic83
IanBru
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Prothero
Nematode
justified sinner
TJ
Eejit
demosthenes
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
cakeordeath
RuggerRadge2611
40 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

When it comes to player retention I think it comes down to individual circumstances.  If a player is mid-late 20s and has served the club for a number of years, and there is exciting young talent coming through, I think it is a good strategy to move them on if they want to.  If for example Finn Russell or Jonny Gray decided to move elsewhere I think that would have been a disaster – look at what happened to Richie Gray when he made such a decision.

As has been said the SRU get very little money from Edinburgh and Glasgow crowds – the Scotland team is by far and away the biggest income generator.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 Nov 2015, 4:25 pm

According to the Herald, Denton's move "shocked" his team mates.  Guessing it was pretty last minute.

Also according to the Times, he's going to be the highest paid Scottish player ever.  Must have been a tough decision to make.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 Nov 2015, 4:28 pm

In other news, aparently Gilchrist is aiming to be back for the Agen game (20th Nov)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 Nov 2015, 4:32 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:According to the Herald, Denton's move "shocked" his team mates.  Guessing it was pretty last minute.

Also according to the Times, he's going to be the highest paid Scottish player ever.  Must have been a tough decision to make.

I believe the SRU pays the players in magic beans, so it probably isn't as much as it sounds.

Given the Burgess fiasco I don't think this will have been in the pipeline for long. I'm sure he'll have been on a Bath hitlist for a while, but I suspect negotiations will have only picked up in the last week or so.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 6:09 pm

Very good leaving interview from Denton - spoken very well. Pretty much the polar opposite departure from a club compared to the man he's replacing!

https://youtu.be/AE3fVBhgWuY

He confirmed that he's not going to be able to say goodbye to the fans, and that it was mid last week that he was first contacted.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Nov 2015, 6:22 pm

Very nice interview with a good guy who deserves his shot with Bath.

The other reason it was good was the interviewer (who is she?) asking intelligent questions. The novelty of that is quite something.

I cannot help but compare it to the leading question guff from everyone's favourite shovel-faced garden gnome Jeremy Bone on Glasgow Warriors' weekly video report.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Nov 2015, 6:34 pm

The Scotland team guy is useless too

Q - 'it is going to be a tough game this weekend - what are your thoughts on how tough it is going to be?'

A - 'um, yeah it us gonna be a tough game....'

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:06 pm

Great interview, and the best of luck to him down in Bath. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how he gets on there and hope to see him tearing it up in the Aviva ready to hit the 6N in top form.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 8:33 am

not bad for a guy whose first season in scotland was with edinburgh accies 3rd team laughing

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:05 am

George Carlin wrote:Very nice interview with a good guy who deserves his shot with Bath.

The other reason it was good was the interviewer (who is she?) asking intelligent questions. The novelty of that is quite something.

I cannot help but compare it to the leading question guff from everyone's favourite shovel-faced garden gnome Jeremy Bone on Glasgow Warriors' weekly video report.

laughing

I went to school with him!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:07 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Very nice interview with a good guy who deserves his shot with Bath.

laughing

Was he your stool

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:20 am

Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

laughing

Was he your stool

Those toilet seats didn't warm themselves.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:24 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

laughing

Was he your stool

Laugh So that's why he stares into the camera with that look which says 'kill me, kill me now please'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:57 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

laughing

Was he your stool

Laugh So that's why he stares into the camera with that look which says 'kill me, kill me now please'.
No, no, that's the look on Toonie's face when Scott Johnson decides to sit in on a set-piece attack session.

Jeremy Bone has the look of a guy that has to give a career-defining presentation to the board, only to realise that he's not wearing his trousers and he left his cue-cards on the train.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:13 am

In other news, George Horne, Andrew Davidson, Robbie Fergusson and Jack Cosgrove have all signed with London Scottish on loan.

http://www.londonscottish.com/news/4323.php#.VkRzX7fhDct

Really delighted for the boys. George Horne looks a very good prospect, and I'm Robbie Fergusson has done tremendously well to recover so well. It makes me think even more that London Scottish could be the answer to our hopes for a third pro-team. If only the RFU weren't so...

WAIT! An idea: maybe if we give them a world-class director of rugby and hair styling, they might allow foreign ownership of a Championship team!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

Really pleased to hear that these guys are going to get some exposure to Championship rugby. Whisper it quietly but it appears that the SRU/Glasgow/Edinburgh have recently been guilty of some joined up thinking.

Agree that George Horne looks a real prospect.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Fri 13 Nov 2015, 9:33 pm

London Scottish have beaten a very handy Munster A team 27-25 in the B&I Cup. I think some of the Glasgow loan lads got on in the 2nd half.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 15 Nov 2015, 9:56 am

Apparently Ben Atiga has been appointed the SRU's 'relocation expert' - the job advert that caused controversy by confirming that they have an active project player policy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 15 Nov 2015, 11:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Apparently Ben Atiga has been appointed the SRU's 'relocation expert' - the job advert that caused controversy by confirming that they have an active project player policy.
Are we sure that his full job title is not "food relocation expert"?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 15 Nov 2015, 1:44 pm

Rhubarb Jackson is currently showing why Glasgow got rid of the wrong 10. Edinburgh could do a lot worse than getting hold of him.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 15 Nov 2015, 2:10 pm

He has been on the bench all season behind Gopperth - now's his chance to shine with him banned for 3 weeks

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 15 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

What is Jackson's contract situation? He was only on a year when he first went down and I think only on a one year extension. He could well be keen on a longer term deal. He is playing well and Edinburgh could do a lot worse.

He seems to have learnt how to kick down south!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 15 Nov 2015, 2:19 pm

If he shows good form for Wasps I'd happily have him at Edinburgh - he may see it as a way of getting back into the Scotland squad.

Saying that, if he shows good form for Wasps he might not want to sign for Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 15 Nov 2015, 2:27 pm

I think Heathcote and Jackson will be coming up fast on the rails for the second FH spot in the Scotland squad. Jackson actually played pretty well in the warm ups. I think it just came a bit to soon for him after his injury. Heathcote should only keep on improving now that he is finally getting regular game time.

Weir certainly won't be walking back into that spot, he is going to have to show he deserves it. It is good though that we suddenly have some good options at FH.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 16 Nov 2015, 10:12 am

BigGee wrote:I think Heathcote and Jackson will be coming up fast on the rails for the second FH spot in the Scotland squad. Jackson actually played pretty well in the warm ups. I think it just came a bit to soon for him after his injury. Heathcote should only keep on improving now that he is finally getting regular game time.

Weir certainly won't be walking back into that spot, he is going to have to show he deserves it. It is good though that we suddenly have some good options at FH.

Still to early to call good

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

Riskysports wrote:
BigGee wrote:I think Heathcote and Jackson will be coming up fast on the rails for the second FH spot in the Scotland squad. Jackson actually played pretty well in the warm ups. I think it just came a bit to soon for him after his injury. Heathcote should only keep on improving now that he is finally getting regular game time.

Still to early to call good

I'd agree - having good options for Scotland would mean several players on form with 20+ caps each.

Club form is one thing - doing it at International level is completely different.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Mon 16 Nov 2015, 10:57 am

The interview with John Hardie in the Scotsman implies he's not really seen Edinburgh play much. May be in for a rude awakening.

"“It was good to get out there and play for Edinburgh. The conditions dictated that the match was setpiece orientated, but we played the conditions well and that helped us win the game,” he said.

I do like getting my hands on the ball and perhaps being involved in a more open style of match, but in rugby you have to be prepared to play in all sorts of different types of games.

No game is the same, that is the beauty of rugby, and I just enjoyed being out there with my new team-mates.”

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:16 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Apparently Ben Atiga has been appointed the SRU's 'relocation expert' - the job advert that caused controversy by confirming that they have an active project player policy.

The SRU must really like this bloke, as they've bent over backwards to try and find something for him to do. I hope this is where is true skills lie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

As well as Jackson having a decent game at the weekend, I thought Duncan Taylor was strong for Sarries in their demolition of Toulouse. Very different sort of player to Mark Bennett, but he'd be my second choice 13 for Scotland. Really strong in the tackle and in contact, good breakdown basics and no slouch.

Scotland A backline:

9.Pyrgos 10.Jackson 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Taylor 14.Hoyland 15.Tonks

Not bad really. That group would have given the 1st XV backlines under Hadden and Robinson a real run for their money.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

Of the rugby I saw at the weekend, Taylor had a very good game for Sarries too. Made a few powerful carries and offers something a little different to our current options for Scottish centers. It would be nice to get him playing some rugby with Scott at Edinburgh although I doubt he'll want to move north either.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:As well as Jackson having a decent game at the weekend, I thought Duncan Taylor was strong for Sarries in their demolition of Toulouse. Very different sort of player to Mark Bennett, but he'd be my second choice 13 for Scotland. Really strong in the tackle and in contact, good breakdown basics and no slouch.

Scotland A backline:

9.Pyrgos 10.Jackson 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Taylor 14.Hoyland 15.Tonks

Not bad really. That group would have given the 1st XV backlines under Hadden and Robinson a real run for their money.

wow that was scary...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:26 am

Great minds think...

...yeah.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:36 am

IanBru wrote:Great minds think...

...yeah.

Jealousy isn't attractive on you Ian kiss
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:37 am

I also saw a bit of the Quins game as well with Visser on the wing. I think he must have a personal sponsorship with The White Company, such was his desire to keep his kit spotless.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:43 am

I've always thought that 12 Dunbar 13 Taylor would be our best 'wet weather' combination. Couple of very big guys running hard.

The real reason I'm delighted that the Mighty Rhubarb is back and playing is because it offers Scotland another option that doesn't involve us having to completely change our backline and gameplan which we would have to do with Weir.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:43 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Not his fault. Like all those who herald from the soapless city, he has spent his yoof longingly gazing East just waiting for the hand of fortune to tap him on the shoulder and offer him shelter in God's city. Alas, he has compromised and settled for the city that brought the world Ant & Dec, Crocodile Shoes, Cheryl Cole (or whatever she's called now) and Sting. Not his fault.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:45 am

George Carlin wrote:I've always thought that 12 Dunbar 13 Taylor would be our best 'wet weather' combination. Couple of very big guys running hard.

The real reason I'm delighted that the Mighty Rhubarb is back and playing is because it offers Scotland another option that doesn't involve us having to completely change our backline and gameplan which we would have to do with Weir.

Exactly. Very much a direct replacement for Finn Russell and with Laidlaw or Hidalgo-Clyne taking care of the goal kicking, both Russell and Jackson are able to focus on running the game without their confidence being affected by goal kicking.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:48 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Not his fault. Like all those who herald from the soapless city, he has spent his yoof longingly gazing East just waiting for the hand of fortune to tap him on the shoulder and offer him shelter in God's city. Alas, he has compromised and settled for the city that brought the world Ant & Dec, Crocodile Shoes, Cheryl Cole (or whatever she's called now) and Sting. Not his fault.

Dire Straits is something of a redeeming factor for N'c'stl'.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:13 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Dire Straits is something of a redeeming factor for N'c'stl'
And in which city was Mark Knopfler born? Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Glasgow. His father apparently had anti-fascist sympathies, so I assume they moved to Newcastle to escape the SNP.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:36 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Glasgow. His father apparently had anti-fascist sympathies, so I assume they moved to Newcastle to escape the SNP.

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

This is the bit where I admit to having been born in the same hospital as Jonny Wilkinson. That's why I look perpetually perplexed, never say anything controversial about anything, and turn up to work three hours before the doors open so I can practice my time recording.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:40 pm

IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

This is the bit where I admit to having been born in the same hospital as Jonny Wilkinson. That's why I look perpetually perplexed, never say anything controversial about anything, and turn up to work three hours before the doors open so I can practice my time recording.

Before you undertake any work do you stand up, hold your hands together in front of you and squat like you've been caught short after a cheap "meat" curry?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

Before you undertake any work do you stand up, hold your hands together in front of you and squat like you've been caught short after a cheap "meat" curry?

FES you are on fire today! clap Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

...yeah.

I tend to hold out my hands, squat, then think about Taqele Naiyaravoro running at me full pelt. Usually has the same effect. Shocked
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:12 pm

Are you Tim Visser?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Are you Tim Visser?

funnyExiledScot wrote:

My boss' child goes to the same nursery as Al Kellock's child - he finds it quite emasculating standing next to him when they are waiting to pick their kids up.

He should just shout "ruck", and watch Kellock hide behind the door.[/quote]

Again absolute gold again today mate! thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:18 pm

Radge - do you and FES want to get a room? kiss

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:20 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Are you Tim Visser?
Yes, you've got me. That's why I tend to chat on here for 75 minutes of every Scotland and Edinburgh game. The rest of the time I'm reaching for an intercept that isn't on, so I can't reach the keyboard.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Radge - do you and FES want to get a room? kiss

nah I don't go for the tall ones...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next