The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by VinceWLB Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Glasgow have been one of the worst team in the league at defending the rolling maul and i suspect Nakarawa has a lot to do with it. It's great to have forwards who can offload the ball at will, it's better if they can do their bread and butter dirty work. Nakarawa has been a liability in the tight for Glasgow.

I would have converted him at 8 personally.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:If Naka goes it is a loss, but the effect he will have had on developing the offloading game in the forwards will hopefully be taken forward. Have Glasgow got any more rumoured signings beyond Firth. I mean the squad is massive and expect to lose a few players more than we bring in but we are short a back up/young 10 and if Big T goes, can we buy DTH with that money?  

I suspect that ship has sailed. When you see Ulster signing a cracking player like Coetze you do wonder how Glasgow are going to keep up, particularly given the slide this season.

Glasgow will, I suspect, lose Naka and Lamont in the summer, and Weir is already out the door. Strauss could depart as well, plus there were significant losses last summer with De Klerk, Matawalu and DTH.

This is a big summer for Toonie and the SRU. The bones of a good team are there (see below), but some serious fleshing out needs to be done:

1.Reid 2.Brown 3.Fagerson 4.Gray 5.Peterson 6.Harley 7.Favaro 8.Strauss 9.Pyrgos 10.Russell 11.Hughes 12.Dunbar 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

I think that side would sneak into the top 6, but to become challengers again I think some real quality needs to be added: probably an international class tighthead, lock, fly half and winger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 pm

I feel for Glasgow, in this new world of French money, it is very difficult to see a team from one of the Celtic nations imposing themselves consistently on the European stage like Munster and Leinster have done in the not too distant past.

Glasgow needed to consolidate their title winning squad, but it does seem like they are on the slide down after only one season at the top.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 pm

I think it is fair to say it is a good job Glasgow won the title last season - I can't see it happening again any time soon given the players that are likely to be leaving / have left.

I suspect we're soon going to have to start moving back towards relying on home grown talent again instead of signing in big players to fill the gaps - we just can't compete with the others.

Unless we're able to unearth another Nel, Du Preez, Matawalu and Nakarawa any time soon.  Problem is, if we do then we'll lose them within a year or two.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think it is fair to say it is a good job Glasgow won the title last season - I can't see it happening again any time soon given the players that are likely to be leaving / have left.

I suspect we're soon going to have to start moving back towards relying on home grown talent again instead of signing in big players to fill the gaps - we just can't compete with the others.

Unless we're able to unearth another Nel, Du Preez, Matawalu and Nakarawa any time soon.  Problem is, if we do then we'll lose them within a year or two.

The key to that is the residency rule, because that ties them to Scotland for longer in order to qualify. You hope that once they do qualify they settle and the allure of playing with their Scotland colleagues does enough to keep them in the fold. Either that or you uncover a real gem willing to sign on for 4 years. Then if you lose them you get a handy pay-out.

It's concerning that Ulster have signed a player of Coetze's calibre. That sets a benchmark for the league. He is awesome.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
It's concerning that Ulster have signed a player of Coetze's calibre. That sets a benchmark for the league. He is awesome.

Huge signing for Ulster and a player that Edinburgh or Glasgow could never dream of getting.

I wonder if McIllroy is bankrolling this one? Or maybe Williams leaving has freed up money.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:If Naka goes it is a loss, but the effect he will have had on developing the offloading game in the forwards will hopefully be taken forward. Have Glasgow got any more rumoured signings beyond Firth. I mean the squad is massive and expect to lose a few players more than we bring in but we are short a back up/young 10 and if Big T goes, can we buy DTH with that money?  

I suspect that ship has sailed. When you see Ulster signing a cracking player like Coetze you do wonder how Glasgow are going to keep up, particularly given the slide this season.

Glasgow will, I suspect, lose Naka and Lamont in the summer, and Weir is already out the door. Strauss could depart as well, plus there were significant losses last summer with De Klerk, Matawalu and DTH.

This is a big summer for Toonie and the SRU. The bones of a good team are there (see below), but some serious fleshing out needs to be done:

1.Reid 2.Brown 3.Fagerson 4.Gray 5.Peterson 6.Harley 7.Favaro 8.Strauss 9.Pyrgos 10.Russell 11.Hughes 12.Dunbar 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

I think that side would sneak into the top 6, but to become challengers again I think some real quality needs to be added: probably an international class tighthead, lock, fly half and winger.

I think international class may be the wrong word as all of those players are internationals.

Glasgow have been battered by injuries and the RWC this season. Brown and Bryce need to stay healthy or else Glasgow need a hooker. Thank god Malcolm looks a good prospect. Hogg needs not to have to play every week. Murchie and Bryce got injured at the wrong time.

Rusell could do with a challenger, but there is no point signing a Dan Carter to block his progress for 2-3 years. A good old head to teach the finer arts of closing a game/tactical kicking and a young player who is hungry to improve would be enough. He is the starter and needs to be playing to help Scotland.

Lock, we have some young options coming through. Someone like a Matfield would have fit the bill. Basically an old workhorse who still has something left in the tank for 2-3 years. Otherwise the options are not too terrible but against the top teams may be found out.

Tighthead is the big one. Fagerson will be very good, but right now is not good enough to start in a ECC quarter. Have to see how Firth gets on. Maybe a raid of a relegated French or English club will be needed.

Wing depends on Big T. Hughes and Junior are decent backups (better than Lamont). Jones is not too terrible either (his tackling has improved immensely to give him credit). A top starting wing is a must if Big T is gone.

That team probably fights with Leinster and Ulster for playoff position without winning the league. Maybe a lock, a back-up 10, a top wing and a good tighthead would make them competitors for top spot and a quarter final. It is not completely dire straits just yet. There is plenty of depth as well in Glasgow and injuries ruin rugby sides. No idea who is available for next season, but Grant, Naka, Lamont and potentially Big T will free up space to go after 1 or 2 top players I hope.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:12 am

Hastings is starting for Bath this weekend. Hopefully he gives a good account of himself.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:50 am

Partnered with Matawalu - a calm, cool head to ease him through the game! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:52 am

Ha, I hadn't noticed that. Poor lad

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Partnered with Matawalu - a calm, cool head to ease him through the game! Laugh

well, he will be used to him when they both end up at Glasgow in the next year or two!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:25 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Hastings is starting for Bath this weekend.  Hopefully he gives a good account of himself.

It is good news that they consider him good enough to start a premiership match and makes up for being pulled from the u20s. He clearly must be highly rated down there as well, but surely he is not going to get the gametime to develop at Bath and a move would be in his best interests. I would not mind him coming to either Scottish side. I hope someone is having these conversations with him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:15 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Hastings is starting for Bath this weekend.  Hopefully he gives a good account of himself.

It is good news that they consider him good enough to start a premiership match and makes up for being pulled from the u20s. He clearly must be highly rated down there as well, but surely he is not going to get the gametime to develop at Bath and a move would be in his best interests. I would not mind him coming to either Scottish side. I hope someone is having these conversations with him!

If he wanted to stay in the south of England, Robinson at Bristol could be ringing him with Morgan going or Harlequins need a young, promising 10. If he did Harlequins, he could dual register with LS. Get starts from LS or bench time with Quins. Go learn from Nick Evans. Get used to winning in Twickenham (okay Twickenham Stoop but still in Twickenham). The boy has options. Let's hope he chooses wisely.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:39 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:
BigGee wrote:

If he wanted to stay in the south of England, Robinson at Bristol could be ringing him with Morgan going or Harlequins need a young, promising 10. If he did Harlequins, he could dual register with LS. Get starts from LS or bench time with Quins. Go learn from Nick Evans. Get used to winning in Twickenham (okay Twickenham Stoop but still in Twickenham). The boy has options. Let's hope he chooses wisely.

Pffft that's nothing - he could come to Edinburgh, learn from Duncan 'meatball' Weir and be taught how to leather the hell out of the ball whilst using as few of his outside backs as possible!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Pffft that's nothing - he could come to Edinburgh, learn from Duncan 'meatball' Weir and be taught how to leather the hell out of the ball whilst using as few of his outside backs as possible demonstrate in one training session that he's already better than Meatball and assume the fly half starting birth at Edinburgh for the next decade!

Suggested amends.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:46 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Pffft that's nothing - he could come to Edinburgh, learn from Duncan 'meatball' Weir and be taught how to leather the hell out of the ball whilst using as few of his outside backs as possible demonstrate in one training session that he's already better than Meatball and assume the fly half starting birth at Edinburgh for the next decade!

Suggested amends.

Careful, the last Bath fly half who left because of George Ford had to move to Worcester to get his career back on track after Solly

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:48 am

It is a difficult one - Edinburgh is the worst place for a young 10 to be, but we really need a good 10!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:03 am

Thought Rory Hutchison looked a good player last night in the U20s game, very good passer and aware of what's going on around him. Obviously been playing at 13 previously but he's clearly a talented player so hopefully his development won't stall at Northampton.
The result of last night's game was very disappointing, I think the ref basically did for Scotland's chances in the second half with some very strange penalties and in the lead up to Wales' first try he gave them a 5m lineout when I'm sure the Wales winger knocked on in the tackle so we should have had a scrum.
Most of the Scotland team looked pretty useful (apart from the 11 who looked pretty terrible) although they certainly missed Ritchie, Kinghorn and Hastings.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:43 pm

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 pm

How did Hastings get on? Sounds like Mata and him had a terrible first half. Don't know if he settled when Mata went off (before Lamb came on).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Not sure how he got on (no match reviews seem to mention him any more than he was there), but sounds like Heathcote had a decent game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Been reminded that Edinburgh don't have to technically finish in the top 6, they just have to finish above Glasgow.

So is there a chance that Glasgow could finish below Edinburgh? Glasgow always finish the season strongly whereas Edinburgh don't, so I think Glasgow will ultimately overtake us.

Edinburgh - played 13, 37 points
Glasgow - played 12, 30 points

Remaining fixtures:

Edinburgh

Ospreys A
Scarlets H
Connacht H
Dragons A
Zebre H
Leinster A
Munster A
Blues H

Not too bad a block of fixtures for Edinburgh but we are likely to need to pick up as many wins as possible before the double header in Ireland near the end. If we beat the Ospreys we have a real chance of going on a 5 game winning streak leading up to Leinster away.

Glasgow

Munster H
Dragons A
Blues H
Leinster H
Ulster H
Treviso A
Zebre A
Scarlets A
Zebre H
Connacht A

Slightly easier for Glasgow with 3 Irish teams at home and both Italian teams still to play (albeit away).

Going to be tight that's for sure!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 pm

The thing is that even when Glasgow play badly they are competitive and tend to sneak a LBP, and when they win they run riot and tend to get a WBP.

If Edinburgh have an offgame them we really do fall apart, and when we play at the top of our game we usually score three tries in the first half, get comfortable, and fail to secure the winning bonus point.

I think Glasgow will finish ahead of us, with the gap between us being attributable to the difference in BPs.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Glasgow have resigned a couple of their props. Pulafisi for another year and Alex aAllen for another 2.

Happy enough with both of those. Alen is still young and continues to develop and Pulafisi has looked a lot more solid of late and will continue to fill a gap. The Glasgow scrum held up well against both Ospeys and Ulster and the problems of the early part of the season look to be settling. Hopefully that is the influence of the forwards coach actually getting to spend a bit of time with the players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Glasgow get Italians 3 times. Zebre home and away, Teviso away. Blues at home would usually be another game to target 5, but during the 6 nations we may not have the firepower. Dragons away is the same story (also they have been playing well recently, been quite impressed). Only away games we are not favourites for are end of the year tilts with Scarlets and Connacht when Glasgow have the Scotland team back. Think Glasgow's hopes hinge on the home dates with the Irish. Win 2 of the 3 and we are likely top 6. 7 wins with a few bonus points needs to be the target at a minimum.

I can see Edinburgh getting 4-5 wins from that. Problem is I think they will need 6 wins (because they don't seem to get many bonus points) to get top 6. Zebre, Blues, Dragons are the easy targets. Need 3 from Scarlets and Connacht at home, Leinster, Munster and Ospreys away.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:04 pm

I certainly concur on Alex Allan. He and Rory Sutherland give me hope that there will be life after Ali Dickinson, plus Gordy Reid has his best years as a prop ahead of him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:03 pm

So Wasps have just re-signed Cipriani, does that mean Edinburgh can have Jackson and cancel Duncan Weir's train ticket from Glasgow? Please?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18 pm

It is a concern for Jackson as I'm sure Cips will be even more of s first choice than Gopparth is just now.

Back go Glasgow??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I'd like Jackson at Edinburgh please. They can have Weir back, plus interest (let's call that Andries Strauss).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Maybe he could move to Sale? It would be good if he found a top club that would have him as their first choice.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd like Jackson at Edinburgh please. They can have Weir back, plus interest (let's call that Andries Strauss).

This! 100% This.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Toonie met with the Glasgow season ticket holders at Scotstoun last night and put the following on the table.

1. The plastic pitch is go over the summer. Hopefully they will be back in Scotstoun for the next home game after Munster.
2. Big T is definitely off at the end of the season. He did not deny the Naka story either.
3. Appartently Toulon were in for Niko at one stage after Glasgow played them, but it was turned down.
4. Glasgow will keep any money gained form transfers
5. GW player budget is 5m a year, compared to Toulon in the region of 20m. Kind of puts it into perspective why we struggle to hang onto players
6. In terms of the playoffs, he reckons 8 wins needed for a home playoff, 7 for a place and less than that we are out!
7. Also don't read anything into the one year contract, he is very happy at GW and has no plans to move on
8. The squad will be trimmed for next year and some signing announcements are immenient, with an extension for Ali Price first to come

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 pm

BigGee wrote:Toonie met with the Glasgow season ticket holders at Scotstoun last night and put the following on the table.

1. The plastic pitch is go over the summer. Hopefully they will be back in Scotstoun for the next home game after Munster.
2. Big T is definitely off at the end of the season. He did not deny the Naka story either.
3. Appartently Toulon were in for Niko at one stage after Glasgow played them, but it was turned down.
4. Glasgow will keep any money gained form transfers
5. GW player budget is 5m a year, compared to Toulon in the region of 20m. Kind of puts it into perspective why we struggle to hang onto players
6. In terms of the playoffs, he reckons 8 wins needed for a home playoff, 7 for a place and less than that we are out!
7. Also don't read anything into the one year contract, he is very happy at GW and has no plans to move on
8. The squad will be trimmed for next year and some signing announcements are immenient, with an extension for Ali Price first to come

Interesting, although not surprising.

Fair play for Glasgow getting Big T to come over, but you wonder if it was worth all the hassle really...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Good info BigGee, and all sounds pretty sensible. I think 4 is important, so that Glasgow can re-invest off the back of players lost.

Losing Nakawara is a blow, but they will have seen it coming and no doubt have some ideas for replacing him. Gray, Peterson, Swinson and Cummings are already in place it's a case of looking for a top quality player rather than just a squad man.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Shame about Big T and what it cost to have him come over. He is still a project with a long way to go so hope he is not being told he will be in walking into the Australia team if he heads back. Naka is a blow, but at a position we have young guys coming through at. Niko would have suited Toulon a lot better than Bath.

Happy about Ali Price. I think it is between him and Pyrgos on who is the starter at 9 next season.

I thought Toulon's budget was £20-25 million for the club not purely players? I would have thought players are the official £8.6 million plus maybe another £5 million in "sponsorship". Neither here not there though. Their budget is 3-4 x Glasgow's. Did he talk about any expansion to Scotstoun to make it a permanent 10,000 seater?

7 wins is doable but tough. 8 would be exceptional.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks for the summary Gee. Your report is concise and eminently objective. thumbsup

However, I believe the Schizoid one would have been there in person(s). I would love to hear his take on the proceedings.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:Thanks for the summary Gee. Your report is concise and eminently objective. thumbsup

However, I believe the Schizoid one would have been there in person(s). I would love to hear his take on the proceedings.

I hear he was buying pills in the back row so didn't catch much of the dialogue other than to shout something offensive about MFL and Andy Robinson.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Cipriani signing for Wasps is probably as much about his supposed x-factor and crowd-pulling qualities as it is about rugby. It will no doubt please the Wasps sponsors and accountants etc. Sore one for Jackson to take though.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Thanks for the summary Gee. Your report is concise and eminently objective. thumbsup

I hear he was buying pills in the back row so didn't catch much of the dialogue other than to shout something offensive about MFL and Andy Robinson.....

Sorry Fes, that doesn't really narrow it down. Could have been anyone: even the Giant Red Crayon.

Anyhoo, Young Pipetto entered a competition on the Warrior's website to be a journalist for the day and interview a player. He got a reply today saying he hadn't won but Finn Russel would be writing to him soon with the answer to the question he submitted and a signed photie and signed Warriors matchball. He is one happy bunny. Yahoo (Pipetto not Dancer)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 pm

I'd fully endorse Young Pipetto taking over from Jeremy Bone.

P.S. You could have helped him get the question right!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Pretty strong Glasgow team going out this friday with Weir, Lamont, Reid and Swinson all back and starting and Zander on the bench. I think we can safetly say that none of them will be starting for Scotland next weekend.

Strauss and Horne start their first games for a while as well and both are playing for places in the squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 pm

I also see Mr Glass mk II is on the bench for Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 am

I'm guessing given Sutherland isn't playing for Edinburgh but Reid is back for Glasgow, we could be seeing Sutherland on the bench for Scotland against Italy.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 am

Visser is starting for Harlequins this weekend. If Maitland is also fit in time then Lamont should not be needed.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Visser is starting for Harlequins this weekend. If Maitland is also fit in time then Lamont should not be needed.

Just a small edit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:35 am

Tom Brown has signed a new one year deal with Edinburgh.
Glad to see him stay at Edinburgh as there had been rumours he was off to the Aviva premiership.
Sitting on 83 caps for Edinburgh but only 12 tries, I thought he had scored more than that.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:41 am

Majestic83 wrote:Tom Brown has signed a new one year deal with Edinburgh.
Glad to see him stay at Edinburgh as there had been rumours he was off to the Aviva premiership.
Sitting on 83 caps for Edinburgh but only 12 tries, I thought he had scored more than that
Something about Sean Maitland not scoring many tries.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 am

It is perhaps fitting that Brown therefore assume Maitland's Scotland jersey!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Rumours of Gilchrist to Toulon next year. Seems an unlikely one on face value, with his injury record and hardly an established international anyway, even though he is clearly ratged very highly by his coaches AS and VC.

From his perspective and injury record, maybe he feels that he could not afford to turn down that kind of offer.

You would imagine he will be spending a lot of time warming the pine or just training though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Whilst I'd like him to stay, he offers very poor value for money at Edinburgh and Bresler, MacKenzie and Toolisx2 are all perfectly capable. Gilchrist/Bresler would be my preferred combination but if he's offered big money and the chance to play for Toulon then I wouldn't begrudge him that. I just hope they've got a decent medical department!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next