The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 14 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by lostinwales Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumour has it that DTH is leaving the Scarlets due to 'family reasons'...

I can understand it. I may have mentioned once or twice that I didn't like living in Swansea. The wife felt much more strongly about the place. Much much more strongly...

If anything Llanelli is probably a harder place to fit in for an outsider even if they are not English.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 14 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

Llanelli is a small place. If they miss Scotland, he should be welcomed back to Glasgow or even asked if he prefers Edinburgh vomit

Although if I am in his position, Montpellier or Perpignan would not be too awful...

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Mar 2016, 3:57 pm

Fargerson and Cummings both omitted from the U20s this weekend, which by process of deduction means that they are both going to be in the Glasgow squad.

No Kinghorn or Ritchie either, so expect to see them playing for Edinburgh.

No great surprises there I guess, but it will take a bit of the edge away from the youngsters pack against the irish. I guess we will have to wait until the summer to see what this team can really do.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Mar 2016, 4:04 pm

Edinburgh don't have a game this weekend - strange Ritchie and Kinghorn aren't playing.

I think they didn't play against France because they needed rested after so many games for Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh don't have a game this weekend - strange Ritchie and Kinghorn aren't playing.

I think they didn't play against France because they needed rested after so many games for Edinburgh!

That is a bit odd then, they really aught to be playing for the U20s. Neither of them has exactly been overplayed this year. I wonder who made that call, Solly or the SRU?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Mar 2016, 6:58 pm

Toonie tweeted a little while ago suggesting another Glasgow signing tomorrow. Who might that be?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Mar 2016, 7:40 am

Positive noises from Nel about his desire to stay in the country:

Scotsman wrote:Nel qualified on the three-year residency rule last summer and is clear that Scotland is now in his heart and may remain home beyond his 
rugby career.

“The first year I was here, I fell in love with the country,” said Nel.

“It’s a very nice place and I would love to stay here. The people are very friendly and very nice so doing well for Scotland makes it that bit more special. I also love the shortbread, which is very good!

“But it’s more about the 
freedom for the kids, it’s about giving them something that they can’t get back home at this moment.

“I have a boy at three and a half and my girl will be two in July. It’s about their safety and you can relax in your mind and it’s nice to know there is nothing to worry about.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

BigGee wrote:Toonie tweeted a little while ago suggesting another Glasgow signing tomorrow. Who might that be?
If there's a Bill McLaren in heaven, it will be DTH coming home.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:37 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Positive noises from Nel about his desire to stay in the country:

Scotsman wrote:Nel qualified on the three-year residency rule last summer and is clear that Scotland is now in his heart and may remain home beyond his 
rugby career.

“The first year I was here, I fell in love with the country,” said Nel.

“It’s a very nice place and I would love to stay here. The people are very friendly and very nice so doing well for Scotland makes it that bit more special. I also love the shortbread, which is very good!

“But it’s more about the 
freedom for the kids, it’s about giving them something that they can’t get back home at this moment.

“I have a boy at three and a half and my girl will be two in July. It’s about their safety and you can relax in your mind and it’s nice to know there is nothing to worry about.”

Wonderful interview. Fills this lawyer's black heart and empty soul with happiness.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:39 am

I loved his comment in the rest of the article where he said in South Africa if you lost a game you locked yourself in the house the next day and wouldn't dare venture out into public!

Think it's fair to say that whenever Edinburgh lose a game 99.9% of the population couldn't give a crap!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:40 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I loved his comment in the rest of the article where he said in South Africa if you lost a game you locked yourself in the house the next day and wouldn't dare venture out into public!

Think it's fair to say that whenever Edinburgh lose a game 99.9% of the population couldn't give a crap!

....and the remaining 0.1% are thoroughly accustomed to it!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:57 am

Rory Clegg has re-joined until 2017.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:58 am

Rory Clegg has re-joined until 2017.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

Great squad signing for Glasgow - he was a very good player to have during the world cup and will do a decent job when Russell and Horne are away.

He's exactly the kind of player Edinburgh need TBH - a solid 10 who can kick his goals, but won't be on big bucks.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:03 am

I thought that too. I think he's only 26. Nice wee signing

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:23 am

I am happy with Clegg coming back as well, hopefully he is here already assuming we are not getting Weir back, our season may depend on us winning this game on friday.

As others have said, he is a decent back up option for Glasgow, which we don't have at the moment, Hunter unfortunately after all he has been through, does not look like he is going to make the grade. There is still room for one of the promising kids to sign up as well should they wish.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:42 am

Clever signing from Toonie. Really competent player with a good allround game. He won't be affected by international windows and will be available all year round.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:48 am

VC has really cleaned Glasgow out for this one, if they win this it really will be a season changer!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:52 am

Agree - I have honestly no idea how Toonie is going to put out a credible team.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

All things considered, a decent enough Glasgow team, thankfully Clegg got her in time, but you do wonder if he knows the calls and what they will do if he has to be subbed.

Good to see Ashe back, just in the nick of time and Tyrone Holmes finally getting a run out, though surely he can't be match fit. A decent front 5 though with plenty on the bench as well.

When you see that team you realise what a decent squad Glasgow do actually have. Still going to be a tough game though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:08 pm

BigGee wrote:All things considered, a decent enough Glasgow team, thankfully Clegg got her in time, but you do wonder if he knows the calls and what they will do if he has to be subbed.

Good to see Ashe back, just in the nick of time and Tyrone Holmes finally getting a run out, though surely he can't be match fit. A decent front 5 though with plenty on the bench as well.

When you see that team you realise what a decent squad Glasgow do actually have. Still going to be a tough game though.

I notice that Big T isn't even listed in the squad and isn't injured.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Mar 2016, 9:04 pm

Good result for Edinburgh with Munster losing to the Blues.

Unfortunately they got a last minute try to get a losing bonus point so are now 5 points ahead.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 18 Mar 2016, 11:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Good result for Edinburgh with Munster losing to the Blues.

Unfortunately they got a last minute try to get a losing bonus point so are now 5 points ahead.
According to the Pro 12 site Cardiff had a later penalty to deny Munster the LBP.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 19 Mar 2016, 6:30 am

Wonderful result for the dodgers of the shower gel last night.

Just looking at the run-in, we still have a hell of a lot to do.

The table currently looks like this:
Connacht - 59 points
Leinster - 58 points
Scarlets - 53 points
Ulster - 51 points
Fried Chocolate Consumers - 47 points

The top 4 have all played 17 games, we still have one in hand.

Our run-in looks like this:

25 March - Glasgow v Ulster
2 April - Treviso v Glasgow
8 April (rescheduled fixture) - Zebre v Glasgow
15 April - Scarlets v Glasgow
29 April - Glasgow v Zebre
7 May - Connacht v Glasgow

Playing Zebre twice and Treviso once in our last 6 games is lucky but we cannot fail to win any of the remaining games.
Even if we do, we are looking likely to sneak in at 4th place. The crucial stand-out match is surely Ulster at home, next.

I know that it's the week after the 6N but surely Toonie cannot give any of our starters this game off. They have nearly a month to rest between then and the Scarlets match.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 19 Mar 2016, 8:25 am

demosthenes wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Good result for Edinburgh with Munster losing to the Blues.

According to the Pro 12 site Cardiff had a later penalty to deny Munster the LBP.

So they did - 4 points ahead then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 20 Mar 2016, 6:35 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:58 pm

Greig Tonks has done well so far for LI by the look of things - amazingly kicking his goals well!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Mar 2016, 9:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Greig Tonks has done well so far for LI by the look of things - amazingly kicking his goals well!

The other ex-edinburgh boy doing very well down south as well is Tom McHeathcote, who has been very solid for Worcester both from a kicking point of view and getting a decent back line moving. He seems to have become the forgotten man, but is still young and a very good player. He may well come back into the Scotland mix at some stage as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 Mar 2016, 9:05 pm

What is it about Edinburgh that once players leave they suddenly become good again??

Those that know me on here know that I've always been a Tonks fan, and was keen for his 10 experiment - I hope it works out for him and he establishes himself as a decent 10.

Given Weir's performance we certainly need backup!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Mar 2016, 9:43 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

The thing is we probably do have backup, I would not personally have had Tonks on the list but Horne, Jackson, McHeathcote are not really that bad options.

Unfourtunately he picked Weir. He is not a bad player, but international rugby may just be a little bit beyond him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 Mar 2016, 9:51 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

The thing is we probably do have backup, I would not personally have had Tonks on the list but Horne, Jackson, McHeathcote are not really that bad options.

Unfourtunately he picked Weir. He is not a bad player, but international rugby may just be a little bit beyond him.

Joking aside I think Weir will do a decent job get Edinburgh - a team suited to his talents.

A big part of his problem just now IMO is he's trying to force himself to play in a way that just isn't natural to him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 21 Mar 2016, 6:18 am

Tonks has been excellent for us so far. If we had signed him at Christmas I don't think we'd be bottom right now. He's not been flashy, he's just displayed good game management and made sure we play in the right areas, and probably more importantly was 5 from 5 off the tee yesterday I think, and 4 from 5 last week.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 21 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

I agree that Weir will work out well for Edinburgh. He's a good club player and better than anything else we've had at 10 this season. The other plus is that it should see Burleigh at 12. I think they'll go well together.

The other good thing is that Weir shouldn't be affected by international windows ever again.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 21 Mar 2016, 7:47 pm

Loan signing to be announced for Edinburgh soon apparently (I guess tomorrow). Dragons flyhalf. Say no more, wink wink nudge nudge.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon 21 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Tonks has been excellent for us so far.  If we had signed him at Christmas I don't think we'd be bottom right now.  He's not been flashy, he's just displayed good game management and made sure we play in the right areas, and probably more importantly was 5 from 5 off the tee yesterday I think, and 4 from 5 last week.

He missed one fairly straightforward penalty yesterday, but otherwise was very good off the tee.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Loan signing to be announced for Edinburgh soon apparently (I guess tomorrow). Dragons flyhalf. Say no more, wink wink nudge nudge.

They're about to announce a signing...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

He is apparently travelling up today.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:24 pm

If it is a Dragons flyhalf I'm assuming it is one of your reserve ones.

Just in time to head back to the Dragons on Friday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

I would class him as our best flyhalf, but Lyn and Kingsley prefer keeping it in the family. Loan signing, I've heard until the end of the season.

He isn't allowed to play Sunday apparently.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

If we're signing a 10 on loan it suggest Burleigh is injured.

If so, we're doomed!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If we're signing a 10 on loan it suggest Burleigh is injured.

If so, we're doomed!

Or they could play Kinghorn, might be inspired!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:35 pm

Edinburgh have signed Glen Bryce from Glasgow.

Not one to shout from the rooftops about but he's looked a decent player for Glasgow, and will benefit from the lack of competition in the Edinburgh 15 spot, meaning he's likely to get more gametime.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with so many of the great unwashed polluting Edinburgh though...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:45 pm

Wonder what the delay is about the "Tovey loan".

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:47 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Wonder what the delay is about the "Tovey loan".

I'd be happy with getting Tovey on loan - he's a decent player.

I was expecting one of your reserve 10s that wasn't very good!

Is he really deemed surplus to requirements at the Dragons?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

Tovey looked alright. He is the one who can kick a bit right? Is this a precursor to a full time move during the summer?

Bryce joining could nix that if he is coming into FB (rather than OC) and Cuthbert is staying on in addition to Scholes. Kinghorn needs to be at least second choice at FH or FB. Could be a sign of a position change for either Bryce or Kinghorn.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 22 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

Yes, it looks like Uncle Lyn doesn't fancy him as a player anymore. I don't think he will move to Edinburgh full time, but then who knows if the move goes well.

If it does go through, I wish he could play against Dragons because I would love to see him show that idiot Lyp up.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Mar 2016, 2:15 pm

A good signing for both teams there.

Murchie is a real good club player and almost never has a bad game when called on.

Byrce is very talented but clearly does not see the way forward in the centre and full back queue after Bennett, Horne, Dunbar, Hogg and Seymour not to mention RV1 he probably fancies that he will get more chances at Edinburgh and he may well be right.

It might free up a place for one of the youngsters to step up from the u20s as well, there are a few candidates. Robbie Fergusson has also been playing very well down at LS and has almost never been out of the team since he has been there.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:41 am

More signing news coming up from Glasgow today, sounds more like resignings rather than new players, but they all count.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:49 am

Someone fancy doing an Edinburgh-Dragons thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:56 am

Incidentally, was it ever confirmed by the clubs that Gilchrist is moving to Toulon or did we just do a whole thing all by ourselves?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next