The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:17 am

Wow that would be a surprise! I'm assuming their trying to fill the void left by O'Connoll's deal falling through?

Where did you here that?

Toulon do a fair bit of rotation to be fair so he would get some gametime, but I doubt he'd be anywhere near a regular starter.

He is only 25 still so hopefully he can put his injury record behind him.

He hasn't played for Edinburgh in 15 months!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:18 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Whilst I'd like him to stay, he offers very poor value for money at Edinburgh and Bresler, MacKenzie and Toolisx2 are all perfectly capable. Gilchrist/Bresler would be my preferred combination but if he's offered big money and the chance to play for Toulon then I wouldn't begrudge him that. I just hope they've got a decent medical department!

Yes that is true, if they can tie down FM and the other Toolis (who is also rumoured away) then that is 4 decent locks and there are some decent kids in the pipeline if they are shared out properly. Maybe the best move for all concerned.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:23 am

Watching Gilchrist alongside Gorgodze would be like watching a remake of Unbreakable Laugh

Last i heard McKenzie and A Toolis contracts aren't even solved yet so Edinburgh needs to fix that asap if Gilchrist is gone.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:36 am

McKenzie has been a strange one injury wise - there's been no update on how long he's out for and it seemed an innocuous one at the time.

He's been out for months!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 am

Was listed out with a neck injury, we all know how long that kept Manu out. You have to be very precautionary with these injuries, there are players retiring from rugby every season because of them.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Gilchist will be joining Toloun this summer, as per the post earlier.

Length of contract etc has not been confirmed but here you go:

Pundit arena wrote:Toulon have moved to replace Paul O’Connell

Although Toulon have assembled some of the game’s best players in the south of France, injury has robbed them of the services of Paul O’Connell.

As a result, they have have been forced into further activity on the transfer market in order to fill the void left by the former Irish captain.

While it was no secret that Toulon were searching for a second row after Paul O’Connell was forced to retire through injury, fans will be shocked to read that the French super club have turned to Scotland’s Grant Gilchrist.

Although La Provence reported earlier today that the Edinburgh lock will sign for Toulon this summer, they were short on the specifics of Gilchrist’s contract.

Nevertheless, given Toulon’s policy of signing global superstars, the signing of Gilchrist does represent a surprise.

As an aside, many of you will also be shocked to learn that Toulon could field an all Scottish second row pairing next season, with Gilchrist potentially joining former under 20 international Andy Cramond in the engine room

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Wow, good luck to him. We really do need to keep Alex Toolis now though

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:58 pm

He's off to the rebels apparently

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Wasn't Tom Brown supposedly off to Gloucester though?

If I remember right the rumour was that Alex was concerned about the number of locks in front of him, hopefully Gilchrist leaving will address that enough for him to sign a new contract

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 pm

I believe he'd already agreed the deal to leave. I mentioned a while back that he was probably leaving and I think he's signed a contract with them, it's just not announced yet

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Ah, thats not good. Leaves us swinging from too many locks (albeit with injury issues) to not enough lock cover. Any youngsters coming through the ranks there?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Gentlemen, and Hazel, may I just point out that Glasgow Warriors have endured a terrible first half of the season. Utterly dire.

As evidenced by the fact that we are THREE points behind the Kaffe Fassett fan club with TWO games in hand. Whistle Laugh Whistle Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 am

The Dragons have signed Sam Beard from Edinburgh, which is a shame. He's been a good solid player for Edinburgh and has slotted in seamlessly without a noticeable drop in quality. And as always, we'll have to wait and see who replaces him! We would probably do with a couple of centres looking at who we will have left

Burleigh
Allan
Dean
Helu (what has happened to him recently btw? He hasn't played in a while)
Strauss (?)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 am

jimbopip wrote:Gentlemen, and Hazel,  may I just point out that Glasgow Warriors have endured a terrible first half of the season. Utterly dire.

As evidenced by the fact that we are THREE points behind the Kaffe Fassett fan club with TWO games in hand. Whistle Laugh Whistle Laugh

Flattering that you continue to use the 1872 Champions as your benchmark.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:The Dragons have signed Sam Beard from Edinburgh, which is a shame.  He's been a good solid player for Edinburgh and has slotted in seamlessly without a noticeable drop in quality. And as always, we'll have to wait and see who replaces him! We would probably do with a couple of centres looking at who we will have left

Burleigh
Allan
Dean
Helu (what has happened to him recently btw? He hasn't played in a while)
Strauss (?)

This is a real shame. His performances at 12 over the last couple of games have been really strong. Obviously Scott and Burleigh are good options in that position so it's not a big issue, but Scott hardly has a great track record of being available.

So for next season it's looking like the following in terms of 1st and 2nd choices:

9. SH-C, Fowles
10. Weir, Kinghorn
11. Helu, Brown
12. Scott, Burleigh
13. Allan, Dean
14. Hoyland, Fife
15. Tonks, Cuthbert

You could switch Tonks and Kinghorn, although it's looking to me like the Tonks at 10 experiment is over.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 am

Matt Scott is off remember...

We're now short in the centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 am

Jeez, I'd completely forgotten about Scott leaving.

Yep, we're certainly short at 12 in which case, and probably 10 as well if we assume Kinghorn will continue at 15.

I'm comfortable with Burleigh as first choice at 12, but we'll need some cover and Strauss is a long way short of the quality needed.

Beard is by a distance better than Strauss. Odd to let him go as I thought he was shortly to become SQ (he's only 25). Perhaps not a threat to Dunbar/Scott/Taylor, but two of those guys are frequent guests at the Rory Lamont Fragility Centre and Beard provides genuine cover at 12 and 13. I think he's been overlooked too often by Solomons this season. Each and every appearance by Strauss is one in which Beard should have featured. In fact the Beard/Allan combination has worked better than anything else for a couple of seasons.

Really solid signing by the Dragons. Not looking forward to facing him next season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah I think he's becomes SQ later in the summer, although he probably thought himself it was a long shot.

Maybe he wasn't even offered a deal - you never know what goes on with these contract negotiations.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 am

In other news, I hear Weir put in a good shift on Friday and even showed an unexpected turn of pace to score - does that give us more confidence that he'll do a decent job for Edinburgh??

If anything his goal kicking is light years better than anything Tonks and Fowles can manage, plus he'll become the only player in the Edinburgh squad that can actually kick a drop goal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:In other news, I hear Weir put in a good shift on Friday and even showed an unexpected turn of pace to score - does that give us more confidence that he'll do a decent job for Edinburgh??

If anything his goal kicking is light years better than anything Tonks and Fowles can manage, plus he'll become the only player in the Edinburgh squad that can actually kick a drop goal.

Weir had a bit of a stormer against Munster actually. Not just the try (Munster were as shocked as I was) but his passing was really excellent as well.

You need to get hold of footage for the try. He took a wrap around from Horne (who also played really well and is possibly another reason why Beard won't get a shot for Scotland) and then turned on the gas to go between the Munster defenders (both backs from recollection). Just made it to the line with the Munster fullback/winger clinging on. He got kicked in the face for his troubles and nearly did a Ryan Wilson after he scored (i.e. fake tough stuff) but chose to enjoy the moment instead, and why not. He's surprisingly quick over short distances for a fat kid, and Munster were just not expecting it. I don't think Russell would have scored that try, because the defence would have been all over him. A victory for low expectations!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:49 am

Excellent - I'll look for highlights.

Rotund kids can be surprisingly fast - look at Wayne Rooney!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Excellent - I'll look for highlights.

Rotund kids can be surprisingly fast - look at Wayne Rooney!

Rupeni Caucaunibuca springs to mind as well, not that Diet Dan is quite in his league!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am

I bet you goggled the spelling of his name!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I bet you goggled the spelling of his name!

I didn't, but I did use Google..... Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:04 am

Face.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Very surprised Beard has been allowed to leave, although I suppose it may have been his decision. I wouldn't have been too happy being frequently overlooked for Strauss either. Either way, not a good situation and we're losing some very good squad options at the end of the season so the standards of recruitment are going to need to be high.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Am I the only one that is staggered beyond belief that a club like Toulon would be interested in a guy like Gilchrist?

I've always been one of his biggest fans but had I suggested that after barely playing any rugby for a year and Toulon would sign him on as a replacement for POC I would have rightly been laughed at.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:25 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Am I the only one that is staggered beyond belief that a club like Toulon would be interested in a guy like Gilchrist?

I've always been one of his biggest fans but had I suggested that after barely playing any rugby for a year and Toulon would sign him on as a replacement for POC I would have rightly been laughed at.

By their standards he'll be unbelievably cheap. For them he's the equivalent of a Supermarket impulse purchase, like buying a stick of gum at the checkout with two full trolleys-worth of shopping behind you.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:39 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Am I the only one that is staggered beyond belief that a club like Toulon would be interested in a guy like Gilchrist?

By their standards he'll be unbelievably cheap. For them he's the equivalent of a Supermarket impulse purchase, like buying a stick of gum at the checkout with two full trolleys-worth of shopping behind you.

Perhaps, but despite being an "impulse" purchase they must see something in him. As did Vern when he emerged as his first choice for Scotland captain.

He's certainly in a privileged position to learn at Toulon.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Edinburgh are looking short at lock if A Toolis is heading back to Aus. Would Cramond come the other way to get some playing time on loan?

Edinburgh are losing some good players. Nel needs to be signed ASAP before the French notice.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Greetings Scottish people,

Dragons have signed Edinburgh centre Sam Beard apparently. Is he any good? Is this signing a coup, or is he someone struggling to get in the Edinburgh team? Or both?!

Thanks in advance,

Griff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Sorry, just seen RDW's comments further above.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd say he's in between the two extremes you mention Griff - not a superstar in the making but certainly not a dud. Most Edinburgh fans can't fathom why he has not had more gametime over someone like Stauss, who is a dud!

He is a good solid centre who, at 25, has plenty years ahead of him.

I won't look forward to Edinburgh facing him in the Dragons team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'd say he's in between the two extremes you mention Griff - not a superstar in the making but certainly not a dud. Most Edinburgh fans can't fathom why he has not had more gametime over someone like Stauss, who is a dud!

He is a good solid centre who, at 25, has plenty years ahead of him.

I won't look forward to Edinburgh facing him in the Dragons team.

Thanks RDW. That last bit is a good enough endorsement for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh are looking short at lock if A Toolis is heading back to Aus. Would Cramond come the other way to get some playing time on loan?

Edinburgh are losing some good players. Nel needs to be signed ASAP before the French notice.

He's still a bit of an unknown as he's spent all his time in the academy, with one official senior appearance off the bench (he's played in friendlies and charity games as well).

The fact that he regularly holds down a place in an academy team that regularly wins is a promising sign though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh are looking short at lock if A Toolis is heading back to Aus. Would Cramond come the other way to get some playing time on loan?

He's still a bit of an unknown as he's spent all his time in the academy, with one official senior appearance off the bench (he's played in friendlies and charity games as well).

The fact that he regularly holds down a place in an academy team that regularly wins is a promising sign though.

True. Needs to start playing at a higher level more frequently though to see if he is going to make it.

Lock depth of Twolis, Bresler, McKenzie and one of Glasgow's 4 Academy stage 3 locks (according to wiki Glasgow have quite a few academy prospects compared to Edinburgh) should be enough. If A Toolis or McKenzie disappears, then there is space for someone else. Solomons will probably ask Jim Hamilton to put off retiring for one more run around...

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Letting Alex Toolis leave after he's just broken through would be a bit daft really, we would be back to square one with developing another young player. Cramond might well be a good signing but would he be any more ready for the Pro12 than Alex Toolis is?
Starting to look very much as if Maitland's move to LI was a mistake (apart from his bank balance presumably), I wonder what options he may have if LI get relegated? Would the SRU look to bring him back up to Scotland or would he manage to find another top level team to sign for? Blair Cowan as well, although perhaps not such an issue for the SRU as we have more strength in depth in the back row than the back three.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm

I'd be delighted for Edinburgh to snap up both Cowan and Maitland. We have a vacancy at fullback for a top quality player, and with Coman leaving we could easily have Cowan on the blindside with Hardie at 7.

I've been really impressed with Alex Toolis this season. I'd hang onto him personally.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 pm

You can sort of understand Toolis' thinking though - with all the locks fit he'd at best be 4th choice and maybe even 5th choice.

He will know that it is only due to a high injury list that he got so much gametime this year, and that is unlikely to happen every year.

I hope he does stay though, particularly with Gilchrist leaving.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:42 pm

I would also happily sign Maitland and Cowan!

Maitland would have to get some try scoring tips from WP Nel though thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:44 pm

I'd have Alex Toolis down as 3rd choice next season, behind Bresler and Ben Toolis. Still, even that might not be enough to convince him to stay. He's good enough to be a Pro12 regular.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Griff wrote:Greetings Scottish people,

Dragons have signed Edinburgh centre Sam Beard apparently.  Is he any good?  Is this signing a coup, or is he someone struggling to get in the Edinburgh team?  Or both?!

Thanks in advance,

Griff

Griff, that's a very good signing for the Dragons, not quite a coup but a very solid signing, a similar signing than when you signed Stankovich i would say. Beard has a very nice sidestep and i have never seen him have a bad game, can't remember him missing tackles either.

Beard has been badly underused, as were Atkins and Leonardi in the past. One of these Solomons odd choice (with Andress too) that has been holding Edinburgh back. If it wasn't for injuries, the Toolis bros probably wouldn't be where they are now. I read a few weeks back A Toolis was going back to Australia because he was seen too much down the pecking order. With the rumour of Gilchrist going to Toulon, i would sign Alex straightaway and before McKenzie who is showing injury concerns.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:34 pm

I'd echo that. Sam Beard is one of these classic NZ centres who just makes good decisions and has a very rounded skillset. He's strong without being a brute, good hands without being dazzling and quick without being electric. He has never let Edinburgh down and has the handy ability of being able to play both 12 and 13.

With Scott leaving I'd have re-signed Beard for another couple of years. At 25 he has plenty rugby ahead of him and would have been a nice option for Scotland. He's a much better player than Strauss at 12, and Helu at 13 (which to be honest has only been tried once). I also think he's a better player than Chris Dean (so far).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Apparently Gilchrist has fractured his forearm so is back in surgery. That lad is not lucky when it comes to injuries

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Just saw the Gilchrist news. Really feel for the guy. Horrible luck.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:37 am

We don't think that the SRU has a recruitment 'strategy' do we?

Naka, Gilcho, Matt Scott, etc all leaving and nobody is currently slated to replace them.

Can I stab wildly in the dark and suggest that's where we are? Anyone know any different?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:48 am

I've heard nothing to suggest that we have ready replacements for these big names. On the contrary we appear to be shedding useful squad players as well.

Funnily enough no-one seems to want to take Andries Strauss off our hands though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:49 am

It is certainly sad to see a generation of 'home' bred Edinburgh boys moving on all at the same time just as they are in their primes - Gilchrist, Denton, Scott

I suspect there will be a real core of players at Edinburgh needing replaced this summer, which means Top 6 is even more pressing this year - i'd be surprised if we could manage it next year given the mass squad turnaround.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:59 am

It places a big onus on the younger generation coming through quickly. For all the jokes about Mike Coman being a little bit average, he plays a lot of games each season and we will need someone like Ritchie to step up fast. In fact he's the only specialist blindside currently slated for the squad next season (we're fine at 7 with Hardie and Watson and at 8 with Du Preez, Manu and Bradbury).

Same with someone like Chris Dean. With Scott and Beard gone, and Strauss surely given his P45, there's a big gap at centre. Burleigh will presumably move to 12 from 10, to allow Diet Dan time to prove he isn't up to it, and Allan will I presume continue as first choice 13, but behind those two there's really nothing. Helu can play 13 at a push, but we're starting to look really light at centre. Get your boots back on Ben Atiga....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am

Did Ben Atiga not take on that job the SRU advertised helping Southern Hemisphere players move to Scotland, sure I read that somewhere? As there haven't been any imports since that job was created I suspect that perhaps one or two may be coming over to fill the gaps. As for centres, perhaps Robbie Ferguson may move up from London Scottish or even Junior's brother Andrew Bulumakau from Doncaster, both seem to be doing well in the Championship.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next