The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by Majestic83 Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

Weird signing, the depth for wing looks fairly strong at the moment.
The only thing could be is Fife maybe off at the end of the season, think his contract is up? Instead of it being Brown going to Gloucester could it be Fife who has been spotted down there?
The other Tongan Katoa will be away at the end of the season as well.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by BigGee Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:34 pm

He is a winger who can play FB as well, with a pretty good pedigree and scores some tries. Also one who is displaying a bit of ambition by moving just when he is getting established at his home town club.

Edinburgh are not so flush with wingers and even less so at FB now that Tonks is off. Brown and Hoyland are playing well, Helu has been out and done nothing since he has been there and the other signing has not been seen at all. You don't want dear old Jack Cuthbert playing on the wing do you?

Jamie Farndale had plenty chances and I am not sure if he is ever going to cut it in the XV a side game. Sevens may be where his futures lies.

Fife seems to have stagnated a bit and is slipping down the pecking order, he needs to re-establish himself or will be moving on.

I think he is a decent signing. Micheal Allen has worked out well, he could be your Tommy Seymour!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:36 pm

Eejit wrote:Don't see the relevance of him being NSQ as there seems little chance of an Edinburgh winger getting Scotland caps any time soon anyway, save the Sevens team or several injuries. For better or worse, Hoyland looks pretty far back in BVC's plans for the moment.

Scholes has looked a right good player when he's played and Ulster fans seem genuinely gutted about it so overall it seems a good piece of business.

Because with only two professional teams we should only be signing NSQ players if they are increasing the quality of the 1st XV and meet a strict quality threshold. NSQ squad fillers are absolutely the last thing Edinburgh/Glasgow should be signing.

I've seen Scholes play a few times and don't get me wrong, he's talented, but I don't think he's sufficiently better than Helu, Hoyland, Fife and Brown to justify signing him. The net effect could be that Edinburgh use Scholes instead of Hoyland next season, when the difference between the two could be marginal at best.

Developing the talent for our rival 6 Nations competitors should not be the modus operandi of the two Scottish pro teams.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

BigGee wrote:He is a winger who can play FB as well, with a pretty good pedigree and scores some tries. Also one who is displaying a bit of ambition by moving just when he is getting established at his home town club.

Edinburgh are not so flush with wingers and even less so at FB now that Tonks is off. Brown and Hoyland are playing well, Helu has been out and done nothing since he has been there and the other signing has not been seen at all. You don't want dear old Jack Cuthbert playing on the wing do you?

Jamie Farndale had plenty chances and I am not sure if he is ever going to cut it in the XV a side game. Sevens may be where his futures lies.

Fife seems to have stagnated a bit and is slipping down the pecking order, he needs to re-establish himself or will be moving on.

I think he is a decent signing. Micheal Allen has worked out well, he could be your Tommy Seymour!

Doesn't playing for Ireland U20 rule him out of becoming SQ?

It's a fair point on Allen though. I wasn't thrilled with him signing for us but he's become an important player and is comfortably the best 13 we have in the squad. I also believe Allen could become SQ in two years.

I just hope we don't see Scholes depriving Hoyland and Brown of opportunities. Not unless he really steps up and becomes a special player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

The Wolfhounds are the 'A' Team so he would still be eligible I believe.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Eejit wrote:Don't see the relevance of him being NSQ as there seems little chance of an Edinburgh winger getting Scotland caps any time soon anyway, save the Sevens team or several injuries. For better or worse, Hoyland looks pretty far back in BVC's plans for the moment.

Scholes has looked a right good player when he's played and Ulster fans seem genuinely gutted about it so overall it seems a good piece of business.

Because with only two professional teams we should only be signing NSQ players if they are increasing the quality of the 1st XV and meet a strict quality threshold. NSQ squad fillers are absolutely the last thing Edinburgh/Glasgow should be signing.

I've seen Scholes play a few times and don't get me wrong, he's talented, but I don't think he's sufficiently better than Helu, Hoyland, Fife and Brown to justify signing him. The net effect could be that Edinburgh use Scholes instead of Hoyland next season, when the difference between the two could be marginal at best.

Developing the talent for our rival 6 Nations competitors should not be the modus operandi of the two Scottish pro teams.

I agree with you about signing Scottish players, but I don't think they should have any right to the shirt unless they are good enough.

I would say the jury is very much out on whether Scholes is/will be a better player than Hoyland/Brown/Fife/Helu and I would be surprised if he ends up being at the back of that list as his career develops. He is 22 years old and nowhere near his peak yet. I also would imagine that he has burned his boats with regard to Ireland selection as long as he remains with Edinburgh. His big decesion will be in two years time when he decides if he wants to remain and qualify for us and I imagine that a lot of that will depend on how he develops.

Hoyland is also young and full of potential and will hopefully get to play for Scotland but the others i am less sure about.

Brown has been playing better than Fife this year, but both of them have had their opportunities and have not really taken them, truth is that they may not truely be international players. Decent club players yes, but maybe Scholes has that bit more potential.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:00 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I agree with you about signing Scottish players, but I don't think they should have any right to the shirt unless they are good enough.

I would say the jury is very much out on whether Scholes is/will be a better player than Hoyland/Brown/Fife/Helu and I would be surprised if he ends up being at the back of that list as his career develops. He is 22 years old and nowhere near his peak yet. I also would imagine that he has burned his boats with regard to Ireland selection as long as he remains with Edinburgh. His big decesion will be in two years time when he decides if he wants to remain and qualify for us and I imagine that a lot of that will depend on how he develops.

Hoyland is also young and full of potential and will hopefully get to play for Scotland but the others i am less sure about.

Brown has been playing better than Fife this year, but both of them have had their opportunities and have not really taken them, truth is that they may not truely be international players. Decent club players yes, but maybe Scholes has that bit more potential.

A bit harsh on Brown, he has made one sub appearance for Scotland off the bench and was on the winning team against Oz.  That has been the extent of his international career.  He's also only 25 and is in brilliant form currently

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

A bit harsh on Brown, he has made one sub appearance for Scotland off the bench and was on the winning team against Oz.  That has been the extent of his international career.  He's also only 25 and is in brilliant form currently

I don't think i am being hard on him at all.

He has been the pick of Edinburgh's wingers this year, no dobut about it, but he has not shown that form for the past 4 years and if he had then he would have a lot more than the one cap.

Truth is not many wingers make their international breakthroughs after 25, I am just being realistic. Fair play to the guy for upping his game this year and showing us what he can do. I would be delighted if he got more caps but time does not stand still and there will always be a speedy young kid coming up hard on the rails!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:32 pm

I think most if not all Ulster fans are sorry to see Scholes go, has looked good this year and shown some real improvement on last season but given that next year Ulster will have Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy and Piutau he may be limited in his game time

When this was first hinted at the suggestion was that it was with a view to becoming SQ, though the two year contract may be leaving the door open to a return to Ulster depending on Bowe and Trimbles age and form and the progression of some of the other young backs we have coming through and Piutaus status

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:40 pm

Just wiki'd Tom Brown. Claims he is primarily a full back. That must be wrong or there is some shifting going on in the back 3. It is a strange signing from an SRU perspective unless he has made it clear if this is successful, he stays on and gets capped.

All in all, someone (other than Katoa) is on their way or swapping positions for this to make sense. 13 is still short a true starter unless Johnson moves and Dean is seen as being past his injuries.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

I don't think i am being hard on him at all.

He has been the pick of Edinburgh's wingers this year, no dobut about it, but he has not shown that form for the past 4 years and if he had then he would have a lot more than the one cap.

Truth is not many wingers make their international breakthroughs after 25, I am just being realistic. Fair play to the guy for upping his game this year and showing us what he can do. I would be delighted if he got more caps but time does not stand still and there will always be a speedy young kid coming up hard on the rails!

When I said it was harsh, I meant that he's had one appearance for Scotland and came off the pitch as part of a winning team.  To suggest that he's had opportunities and not taken them, is maybe being a bit hard on the lad.  Especially when he plays FB & wing, which has seen him having to compete with Visser & Paterson for a starting slot (at Edinburgh).  Not to mention that he's had a fairly torrid run of injuries.

Whenever he has gotten a regular run of game for Edinburgh he has generally shown great form and this is far from the first time in 4 years this has been the case, but you're right, making your international comeback at 25 would be difficult, but he's far from over the hill and he probably deserves an actual opportunity to show he's capable (or not) rather than being written off after a sub appearance.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:42 pm

I think we really should have been looking at SQ signings, a few SQ backs playing overseas and in England and also some real prospects in the U20s this year.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Mar 2016, 2:04 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Just wiki'd Tom Brown. Claims he is primarily a full back. That must be wrong or there is some shifting going on in the back 3. It is a strange signing from an SRU perspective unless he has made it clear if this is successful, he stays on and gets capped.

All in all, someone (other than Katoa) is on their way or swapping positions for this to make sense. 13 is still short a true starter unless Johnson moves and Dean is seen as being past his injuries.

Tom Brown started out as a fullback and was slated as such when he came through into the Edinburgh squad but has only ever really played for Edinburgh on the wing.

My hunch is that one of Scholes and Brown will need to move to 15 next season, especially with Tonks leaving.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 02 Mar 2016, 2:16 pm

Personally, I think Scholes is a very good signing. Was it not him who scored a good try vs Edinburgh at kingspan earlier this season?

I think the back 3 does need a boost. Hoyland is encouraging but needs a few more seasons to work on his defence. Fife has gone backward (when did he last score) and I think Brown should be first choice FB.

Scholes can slot in on the wing and do a great job. SQ is irrelevant as we have Seymour, visser, Maitland and Hughes.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm

Nematode wrote:Personally, I think Scholes is a very good signing. Was it not him who scored a good try vs Edinburgh at kingspan earlier this season?

I think the back 3 does need a boost. Hoyland is encouraging but needs a few more seasons to work on his defence. Fife has gone backward (when did he last score) and I think Brown should be first choice FB.

Scholes can slot in on the wing and do a great job. SQ is irrelevant as we have Seymour, visser, Maitland and Hughes.

That's nonsense. Firstly listing four SQ players doesn't not negate the need to develop more depth. Teams we are trying to beat would not consider the existence of Rory Hughes, a winger barely used by Glasgow, as a reason not to need to develop any more wingers. I'd also add that Maitland has been on poor form for about 2 years now. At what point do we accept that he is no longer the player he was? We need to be developing far more depth than those players you list, and that means giving starts to SQ players. I've defended the number of NSQ players at Edinburgh numerous times, but we must always be mindful of keeping the ratio between SQ and NSQ at an acceptable level, and before any NSQ player is signed I'd like there to be a rigourous sign-off process internally at Edinburgh/Glasgow and the SRU. Each must be carefully though through in the wider scheme of Scottish rugby, and analysed to ensure that at no point in time is an NSQ fulfilling a role that could be fulfilled by an SQ player.

I'm not saying Scholes won't work out. I've seen him play several times and he's a talented player. I'm just not convinced he's sufficiently better than the SQ options we already have, and I hope that his salary and the fact that Solomons has signed him don't result in him being preferred to the likes of Hoyland/Fife/Brown if indeed there is little to separate them on the pitch.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Mar 2016, 3:46 pm

We perhaps need to wait and see how all the signings/departures pan out.

If Fife or Helu leave (or both!) then this signing makes a lot more sense.

At least at 22 years old he's got the best years ahead of him and will be cheap.

He's more physical than Brown and Hoyland too, so gives us a different option (something Helu was meant to do).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 02 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

FES makes a fair point about the NSQ. I think we are nowhere near saturation point though.

Looking through the squads there are 3 on Glasgow's side (Yanny, Peterson, Favaro) who I like but maybe don't justify being enough of an improvement to keep (as much as I like all 3 players especially Favaro who is the same as Fusaro and similar enough to Blake to be blocking gametime). On Edinburgh side Coman (who filled a role while Ritchie and Bradbury developed), Strauss, and Katoa are the only NSQ who are unnecessary next season. I would say that is not a whole lot of fat to trim and it is reasonably thought out at the moment.

Scholes is good if Helu or Fife are gone, or Kinghorn is moving to 10 more. If not this is a bit of a bizarre departure from their recent recruitment. Think this may become clear in the next few months. I will give a benefit of a doubt.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

I think there's a massive drop off in quality of Scottish wingers from Seymour, Visser and Maitland to the likes of Hoyland and Hughes. They both may improve with time but I'm not sure Hughes will ever be a international standard player,looks quite pedestrian, and Hoyland looks defensively very weak.
Given Lamont must be nearing the end of his international career and Maitland might find himself in the wilderness if he's still at a relegated LI then that basically leaves us with two wingers in the Scotland squad and only Brown and Fife waiting in the wings, again both of them perhaps not quite international standard.
After that we've got some good prospects in the U20s such as Nairn but there is obviously a potentially massive gap appearing in the Scotland squad over the next few seasons should Seymour, Visser etc get injured. Could really scupper any progress we've made recently.
I think we should be giving guys like Junior Bulumakau more gametime, he's looked very exciting in the few chances he's had for Glasgow and we should be looking to add at least one top notch SQ import such as Johnny McNicholl or go for Matty Russell who I'm sure would be a success in union.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Mar 2016, 5:30 pm

More from Ross Ford on why he stayed - fair play to him.

Sounds like he turned down bigger money elsewhere to stay too.
Scrum magazine wrote:
Ross Ford believes that Edinburgh Rugby can win trophies going forward and he is a very big fan of Head Coach Alan Solomons’ vision for the club.

Yesterday the 31-year-old Scotland hooker re-signed with the Guinness PRO12 club until at least May 2019 and the news was warmly welcomed by the supporters.

“This was a big decision to make. I could have gone somewhere else, but the fact that you do get looked after better here was one of the factors that I had to weigh up,” Ford said.

“I had a few offers, but I don’t think there’s anything anywhere else that would improve me drastically as a player.

“Some clubs throw about ridiculous money to get players. It doesn’t mean they’re a better team. Individuals could be good, but it’s how you work as a team.

“I’m very happy with how Edinburgh want to go forward and how the young boys are coming through. That’s only going to continue and I want to be part of that.

“I like the vision Alan Solomons has got for the club. It’s taken some time to get there, but we had a good run in Europe last year and this year we’ve got everything under control in the league just now which is good.

“The team spirit has also improved, I think you can see it in the way we play on the park. As a player group we are very tight and we get on well together.

“Going forward I want to be part of a winning Edinburgh team, one that wins trophies, and I think we’ve got an opportunity to do that, so it was an easy choice to stay.”

“Steve has been brilliant with the forwards”

Meanwhile, Ford has praised the work that Forward Coach Steve Scott has done to make the club’s pack one of the moost fearsome around.

“I think Steve has been brilliant for the forwards at Edinburgh,” Ford said.

“When he first came in he put a big focus on the scrum and lineout. He has always loved that area of the game and he is always looking at videos and seeing where we can improve.

“He’s good at getting his thoughts across and I think he has developed as a forwards coach beyond the scrum and lineout.

“He just loves coaching and is always looking for new ideas and new things to do. Edinburgh are fortunate to have him.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm

Mike Cusack leaves Glasgow.

Warriors management announce free pies for ALL season ticket holders at half time at next match.

So, Toonie was clearing out The Coo's locker do you think?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

I have a feeling Scholes wants to play 15. That's where he grew up playing, he's good under the high ball and has a good boot. He was a really good goalkicker at school level.
If you look at Ulster's depth he is quite high up as a wing, especially with Bowe and Trimble past their peak. Wheras at FB he could possibly have Payne, Piatau, Ludik, Olding, Gilroy and even Nelson ahead of him.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:16 pm

Stand by for some great news for Glasgow Warriors........ according to tw*tter

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro and Ryan Wilson have extended Glasgow Warriors contracts until 2018. Good news.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

Good news. 3 good SQ players secured into their primes with Glasgow. If Harley does not get into form, probably all 3 will get a few more caps for Scotland when there are injuries and are the level beneath international.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

nickj wrote:Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro and Ryan Wilson have extended Glasgow Warriors contracts until 2018. Good news.

That's really good new, particularly Harley and Wilson (I rate Fusaro but with Favaro and Blake they could have handled him leaving).

I'm pretty harsh on Wilson in the Scotland context but he's a very useful player at Pro12 level and there's no doubting his commitment to the Warriors, who have stood by him through his off field difficulties.

Harley is an important player for Glasgow to hold onto. His workrate, tackling and nuisance factor at the breakdown are absolutely key to Glasgow, and it's no surprise to see Glasgow hitting good form to coincide with his return to the team.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 04 Mar 2016, 12:12 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
nickj wrote:Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro and Ryan Wilson have extended Glasgow Warriors contracts until 2018. Good news.

That's really good new, particularly Harley and Wilson (I rate Fusaro but with Favaro and Blake they could have handled him leaving).

I'm pretty harsh on Wilson in the Scotland context but he's a very useful player at Pro12 level and there's no doubting his commitment to the Warriors, who have stood by him through his off field difficulties.

Harley is an important player for Glasgow to hold onto. His workrate, tackling and nuisance factor at the breakdown are absolutely key to Glasgow, and it's no surprise to see Glasgow hitting good form to coincide with his return to the team.

Makes you wonder what Glasgow will do with Blake, can they really afford to carry 3 good opensides?

I suppose that if they get the plastic pitch, going with the 2 OS option may not be a bad idea, all three of them have great engines and workrate. Fusaro and Favaro both chuck themselves about with abandon as well and do get injured a fair bit as well, maybe it is an Italian thing? Thinking about it, maybe there is room for all three and down the line Blake is probably the one that will be playing for Scotland.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:06 pm

Blake is a bit of the lost man at the moment. I guess if he wanted to commit to 7s and try to get into the Olympic squad this year, it makes sense. Is Holmes on the books for next season? Injuries have destroyed him this year.

Maitland is starting for LI at FB with Cowan and Tonks (covering 10) on the bench against Bath. Hope they do it.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:18 pm

I do still hold high hopes that Maitland can re-discover his mojo. Regardless of the nice work in setting up the Hogg break for the Barclay try, watching Visser play tig with the opposition when chasing down kicks still leaves me hoping for Maitland to resurrect his career. We've yet to see him really strech his legs for Scotland, but word is that he's seriously quick when he pins his ears back.

Same with Cowan. Put in some very decent work at the World Cup and I don't want him falling off the Scotland radar. He will always be a better option at 6 than Ryan Wilson, always.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

That's me signing off on here for a week or so - got a wedding to get out the way before the France game!

Enjoy the weekend's rugby thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 04 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's me signing off on here for a week or so - got a wedding to get out the way before the France game!

All the best.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 04 Mar 2016, 6:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I do still hold high hopes that Maitland can re-discover his mojo. Regardless of the nice work in setting up the Hogg break for the Barclay try, watching Visser play tig with the opposition when chasing down kicks still leaves me hoping for Maitland to resurrect his career. We've yet to see him really strech his legs for Scotland, but word is that he's seriously quick when he pins his ears back.

Same with Cowan. Put in some very decent work at the World Cup and I don't want him falling off the Scotland radar. He will always be a better option at 6 than Ryan Wilson, always.

Maitland has so much potential. He had one outstanding run last weekend, but just goes missing for large chunks of games. Such a shame as he was meant to be one of our star signings.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 04 Mar 2016, 6:54 pm

BigGee wrote:
Makes you wonder what Glasgow will do with Blake, can they really afford to carry 3 good opensides?

I suppose that if they get the plastic pitch, going with the 2 OS option may not be a bad idea, all three of them have great engines and workrate. Fusaro and Favaro both chuck themselves about with abandon as well and do get injured a fair bit as well, maybe it is an Italian thing? Thinking about it, maybe there is room for all three and down the line Blake is probably the one that will be playing for Scotland.

Going with 2 OS with a powder puff pack like the Glasgow one is asking for a lot of troubles!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 04 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Rumours on the Warriors forum about Leonardo Sarto joining from Zebre.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 04 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

That would be a good signing but will have to work A LOT on his tackling.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 06 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

Talk in the press this morning of Glen Bryce heading East down the M8 to Glasgow for next season.

He has seemed another decent player who is not getting as much gametime as he needs at Glasgow. Always looked very solid when he has played.

He is certainly worthy of a contract extension, but just not going to get it at Glasgow as their is to much competition. The Edinburgh backline is going to have a very familiar look to Glasgow fans next season.

Again, more joined up thinking from the SRU. This really is getting to be a habit now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 12:55 pm

Bryce does look like he's got potential when he plays, could be a good 13. Wouldn't really want Glasgow to sign Sarto though, we need to concentrate on SQ players.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 06 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Bryce does look like he's got potential when he plays, could be a good 13. Wouldn't really want Glasgow to sign Sarto though, we need to concentrate on SQ players.

Sarto is an international winger, whom we have not seen the best of seeing as he plays for Italy and Zebre. He will also cost a lot less than Big T. He could be a very good signing. There are plenty of up and coming SQ wingers but none are here yet. The venerable Sean cannot realistically have a lot left in the tank and press reports suggest that vultures are already circling for Tommy Seymour. If we can keep him until the end of his contract then we will be doing well. Getting an established player in place does make some sense.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sun 06 Mar 2016, 1:47 pm

Agree with Big Gee entirely, though I would add that a winning club has an easier time bringing through young, nationally qualified players that one who doesn't. Sarto is exactly the type of player Glasgow should be after - Young with international pedigree. The fact that he's a bloody tall Bugger and lightning quick means that Toony will likely get the best out of him.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 06 Mar 2016, 2:07 pm

Yes there is definitely a lot of room for improvement with Sarto, he would be a very good signing, similar, maybe a bit better than the Favaro one. The usually reliable onrugby.it also has Sarto coming to Glasgow so i think it could very well be true.

Also rumours on the Glasgow forum Rhubarb Jackson coming back to Glasgow. I would be happy with that but for me he got shafted when Weir was chosen instead of him, imo. I'm surprised he wants to come back. That said, Weir at Embra and Jackson at Glasgow is what it should have been 3 seasons ago. Lack of foresight on the SRU part, i'm afraid.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 06 Mar 2016, 2:21 pm

Yes I saw the Jackson comments on the forum as well, but it is less clear if there is any substance to them. I am not sure what Jacko's contract situation is at Wasps, does he have another year to go? He is clearly going to be third choice once Cipriani comes back to them, as he is behind Gopperth even now and that is likely to be career suicide. He is not even getting a lot of game time at the moment. It is not as if Cips will likely be playing for England either, he will be a long way down the queue.

If it is an option, then it is well worth exploring. He is likely to come back a better player from what we have seen of him recently and Glasgow definitely need more cover at FH, Hunter is unlikely to be the answer unfortunately.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 06 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

I think Jackson to Glasgow would be a good move. Hard to tell if Hogg will stay at Glasgow for much longer too.

Sarto would be a great signing. I think Naiyaravoro hasn't really fitted into Glasgow's style of play, I think a French side would suit him better.

Does anyone know when Niko's contract is up at Bath? I wouldn't be that surprised if Bath let him go back to Glasgow, he's not featured much.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 06 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's me signing off on here for a week or so - got a wedding to get out the way before the France game!

Here's wishing you, and your future beloved, every happiness. Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

p.s. yes, the invite(s) have arrived; we'll probably miss the church, we find the praying and singing get Mrs Pip quite angry, and just turn up at the reception with nosebags already in situ. Don't know about Schiz and Lady Schiz, although she "likes a good greet" so you'll most likely have them in all the family photies. Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:57 am

I'm usually extremely cautious over the signing of NSQ players but Sarto is a very good winger and with Big T leaving and S Lamont getting slower, I think his signing can be justified. I'd like Rory Hughes to be given a good chance next season but other than him there isn't a huge amount of depth at Glasgow on the wing - hanging onto Seymour is very important. Wonderful as it is for an Edinburgh fan watching Lee Jones play for Glasgow, he isn't going to propel Glasgow to European glory.

RDW - you shouldn't be reading this but if you are, having a cracking day and honeymoon. Don't worry about spending money either, you've got the rest of your life to dedicate to repaying debts....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 07 Mar 2016, 12:04 pm

[quote="funnyExiledScot"]I'm usually extremely cautious over the signing of NSQ players but Sarto is a very good winger and with Big T leaving and S Lamont getting slower, I think his signing can be justified. I'd like Rory Hughes to be given a good chance next season but other than him there isn't a huge amount of depth at Glasgow on the wing - hanging onto Seymour is very important. Wonderful as it is for an Edinburgh fan watching Lee Jones play for Glasgow, he isn't going to propel Glasgow to European glory.

RDW - you shouldn't be reading this but if you are, having a cracking day and honeymoon. Don't worry about spending money either, you've got the rest of your life to dedicate to repaying debts....[/quote]

I'd echo that.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:01 pm

Sarto confirmed for next season.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:11 pm

Sarto is a big talent and I have no problems with him coming - just a bit sad that we let DTH go and that guys like Peter Betham got snapped up by the Tiggers.

Once again, Toonie's non-starry signings are starting to show why they are here. Puafisi is the most improved player at the club, Jeff/Oscar is looking worth his place and Favaro is sufficiently mental and uncaring about his own personal safety to be considered a Weegie in his own right. Will it all come together with sufficient cohesion and quality to let us challenge for a top 4 slot?

Hopefully, although I am really not confident.

RDW - wishing you and Mrs RDW every happiness. She must be a very patient woman... Run

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Sarto will be a good signing for Glasgow, they may well get a lot more out of him than they have from Big T. He is clearly keen to get over here and show us what he can do. He may well be very effective on the plastic pitch.

Tough for Zebre but unfortunately the Italian clubs just can't hang on to their best players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:48 pm

Sounds excited to be coming over and Favaro had a quiet word, probably telling him you are playing to a sold out crowd! Should be better than Big T as he has a bit more pace and appears more defensively sound. Glasgow have not figured out how to use Big T consistently and it is a real shame as he will be a devastating player, but his defensive positioning is shocking at times and he always goes for the highlight reel defensive play, not the effective solution. For the budget he was taking up, I am not heartbroken he is leaving.

I wonder if they could convince Cittadini to sign for a year or two at Scotstoun...collecting Italians like they are Fijians.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 08 Mar 2016, 4:15 pm

what is the collective noun for a bunch of Italian soap dodgers?

SiSigees?

Unfortunately both Glasgow and Edinburgh will suffer for pillaging due to the limited budgets of both clubs. It's easier to hold onto SQ players as international honours can tip things in favour of the SRU controlled clubs.

Players like Niko, DTH, Big T are going to be easier to lure away with the £££'s getting shown!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Mar 2016, 4:47 pm

I think Glasgow fans will be pleased with Sarto. Good solid hard working physical winger. Not particularly flash but could work well with Hogg, Bennett and Seymour.

It's a good point made above around Matawalu. I wonder if he could be tempted back given the limited game time with Bath. Glasgow have badly missed his abilities to break things up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next