The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 16 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 11:56 am

Good signing I think - he's got a decent amount of SR caps and is still young. He's starting at 12 for Western Force against the Chiefs this weekend.

Looks to be a physical player - something we need in the centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 16 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 9:55 pm

Cardiff blues have crept up the league almost out of nowhere - now a point above Edinburgh albeit with one game extra played

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 26 Mar 2016, 6:25 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Another Edinburgh player signing to be announced!
The tension is unbearable.

Which unwanted Glasgow player will it be this time?

I hear Stuart Hogg was looking to move to a much better city...
Apparently Hogg was denied entry.

Edinburgh Council confirmed that they satisfied their quota of young men with attitude problems in 1768 and have been full up ever since. The waiting list to join the Main Stockbridge Waiting List was apparently particularly ludicrous.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 26 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

Andy Cramond is on the bench for Toulon away to Racing this afternoon.

Came on in the 3rd minute!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 26 Mar 2016, 3:32 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Andy Cramond is on the bench for Toulon away to Racing this afternoon.

Came on in the 3rd minute!

Played 70 minutes before going off with a bad looking head knock - hope he's OK.

Looked pretty small compared to the gargantuans both packs had out but played his part!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 29 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

I thought this was announced and confirmed months ago...

Edinburgh site wrote:The club has confirmed that prop John Andress will be returning to Ireland to join Munster next season.

Irish age grade international Andress has spent two seasons in the black and red since arriving from Worcester, following spells at Harlequins and Exeter.

He has made 48 appearances for the club, since making his debut in the away win over Munster in September 2014, notching up a try in the defeat of Ospreys at the start of this season.

Andress said:

“I’ve really valued my time here. My game has really improved through the coaching, we’ve a great group of players and backroom staff and I’ve no doubt the club will build on the momentum from this season and go on to do bigger and better things.

“I’ve obviously enjoyed my time at the club immensely and, being on 48 caps, it would be great to leave having achieved my fiftieth cap and be able to mark my time here in such a special way.”

Head coach Alan Solomons said: "John is an experienced scrummaging tighthead, who has made a valuable contribution to the club over the past two seasons.

“He is a good bloke, an excellent team man and a pleasure to coach. We wish him every success in his new venture."

Link to the chat above

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 29 Mar 2016, 4:24 pm

Speaking of NSQ props, what abou the Kiwi tightead that Glasgow signed earlier this year, Firth I think? Do we think he is a bit of a punt from Toonie and co? I remember thinking he looked very out of shape in comparison to Puafisi and Fagerson.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:10 am

Glasgow love an unfit prop eh!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:10 am

Anybody ever been to a match at Parma to see the Zebre?

The two daughters are both at uni in Italy at the moment, so we are going to visit one in Siena, via Parma and the Warriors game. The other one is in Padua which would have been very handy for the Trevbiso game as well, but I could not swing it to get in two away games in one week, so will have to settle for the Zebre this time.

I am wondering whether to try and get tickets before going or just to wait and pitch up at the ground. It never seems to be all that busy from what I have seen but I know from experience that many things can be quite chaotic in Italy if you leave them to the last minute!

Any suggestions welcome

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:54 am

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:55 am

BigGee wrote:Anybody ever been to a match at Parma to see the Zebre?

The two daughters are both at uni in Italy at the moment, so we are going to visit one in Siena, via Parma and the Warriors game. The other one is in Padua which would have been very handy for the Trevbiso game as well, but I could not swing it to get in two away games in one week, so will have to settle for the Zebre this time.

I am wondering whether to try and get tickets before going or just to wait and pitch up at the ground. It never seems to be all that busy from what I have seen but I know from experience that many things can be quite chaotic in Italy if you leave them to the last minute!

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I am going to both Italian games so will PM you with how I got tickets. Training it from Venice to Parma and on line trying to find a suitable watering hole.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

That's good news about Andress leaving, makes his continual selection over Berghan even more baffling, but eh he is the coach's mate.

I don't really think he is that bad but he clearly suffered from altering the development of Berghan who is a much better player in every aspect of the game.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:30 am

Any suggestions welcome

Unless they play Treviso (and i'm not even sure), Zebre never sell out their games so you should be safe getting tickets at the gate. You should have a great time outhere, very much like their little ground with the new stand they built over the dressing rooms.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:47 am

VinceWLB wrote:That's good news about Andress leaving, makes his continual selection over Berghan even more baffling, but eh he is the coach's mate.

I don't really think he is that bad but he clearly suffered from altering the development of Berghan who is a much better player in every aspect of the game.

Yeah, as I said I thought this had been confirmed months ago, so it's baffled me that Andress continues to play, ahead of someone, who has played better than him, who is going to be with us next season and is Scottish Qualified. Andress is ok, but he's a capable player, nothing more.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:50 am

VinceWLB wrote:That's good news about Andress leaving, makes his continual selection over Berghan even more baffling, but eh he is the coach's mate.

That's a bold claim for someone we've seen so little of!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

That's a bold claim for someone we've seen so little of!

Well, i would say i have seen enough, the few times he has been on, to convince me he is better than Andress.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by des Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I am going to both Italian games so will PM you with how I got tickets.    Training it from Venice to Parma and on line trying to find a suitable watering hole.

I don't think the Italians know how to make a good watering hole, unless happy to switch to wine instead?  

I remember being in Pisa a few years ago and being astounded at the "Super T" parasols adorning all the alfresco dining locations.  Turns out Tennents Super is not the tramp juice we think it is and is considered a true premium beer in Italy.  No 500ml cans mind, just wee bottles.

Anyway, enjoy your trips you two.  I love Italy even though you can't get a decent beer anywhere.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:18 am

des wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I am going to both Italian games so will PM you with how I got tickets.    Training it from Venice to Parma and on line trying to find a suitable watering hole.

I don't think the Italians know how to make a good watering hole, unless happy to switch to wine instead?  

I remember being in Pisa a few years ago and being astounded at the "Super T" parasols adorning all the alfresco dining locations.  Turns out Tennents Super is not the tramp juice we think it is and is considered a true premium beer in Italy.  No 500ml cans mind, just wee bottles.

Anyway, enjoy your trips you two.  I love Italy even though you can't get a decent beer anywhere.

I'd disagree with that, Rome has a fair few decent places for beer. One that stands out is Lowenhaus, which as the name suggests a german bar, they have a wide selection of beers, most of which are served in steins.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by des Wed 30 Mar 2016, 12:08 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
des wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I'd disagree with that, Rome has a fair few decent places for beer.  One that stands out is Lowenhaus, which as the name suggests a german bar, they have a wide selection of beers, most of which are served in steins.  

I'd have to disagree again then.  I'm not a fan of German beer.  Used to love it a few years ago (back when the Pond was good) then started to realise how limited it is.  

Wheat, hell, clear, cloudy, light, dark, strong, double strong.  There are a lot of permutations and they tend to be very refined, just not very interesting.

Italy does actually have a very distinguished brewing culture but the product never makes it very far as the locals drink it all.

Give me a Cromarty AKA or Top Out Cone any day.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 30 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I am going to both Italian games so will PM you with how I got tickets. Training it from Venice to Parma and on line trying to find a suitable watering hole.

Thanks, that sounds good. we are flying to Parma on the thursday and then heading down to Siena on saturday morning. A few beers pre-match sounds like a good idea. Will await your message.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

des wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
des wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I'd disagree with that, Rome has a fair few decent places for beer.  One that stands out is Lowenhaus, which as the name suggests a german bar, they have a wide selection of beers, most of which are served in steins.  

I'd have to disagree again then.  I'm not a fan of German beer.  Used to love it a few years ago (back when the Pond was good) then started to realise how limited it is.  

Wheat, hell, clear, cloudy, light, dark, strong, double strong.  There are a lot of permutations and they tend to be very refined, just not very interesting.

Italy does actually have a very distinguished brewing culture but the product never makes it very far as the locals drink it all.

I'd disagree again.. Wink Nah just kidding. Yeah I get your point and there are a lot of better beers out there, but if you are looking for a decent beer then I think they meet the criteria. Certainly better than Morarti (aka heinken with a fancy name) or some of the other generic lagers they have.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 30 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
des wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
des wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I'd disagree again.. Wink Nah just kidding. Yeah I get your point and there are a lot of better beers out there, but if you are looking for a decent beer then I think they meet the criteria. Certainly better than Morarti (aka heinken with a fancy name) or some of the other generic lagers they have.

The Cromarty stuff is good gear!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:02 pm

I'm a big fan of the Black Isle and Orkney Breweries, as well as Innis & Gunn.

Not really a lager fan anymore, although I'll sink a Peroni on a hot day if needs must.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by des Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

If you like Black Isle stuff I'd recommend Jocktoberfest. I've been the last 2 years with my wife and 2 young children and it's an lovely intimate festival. No bams, plenty fun and lots of nice beer. My 2 daughters love it. Very, very safe with out being too sanitised.

You're only 10 miles from Cromarty Brewery too if you want to buy really good beer.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

des wrote:If you like Black Isle stuff I'd recommend Jocktoberfest.  I've been the last 2 years with my wife and 2 young children and it's an lovely intimate festival.  No bams, plenty fun and lots of nice beer.  My 2 daughters love it.  Very, very safe with out being too sanitised.

You're only 10 miles from Cromarty Brewery too if you want to buy really good beer.

Good shout. I'm from Forres so all nice and handy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 30 Mar 2016, 4:41 pm

Fraser MacKenzie has signed for a further 3 years http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/16/03/30/second-row-signs-new-season.
Hell of a show of faith for a squad man and someone who's been injured for so long. Alex Toolis off?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Mar 2016, 4:55 pm

I hope Alex Toolis is staying. If he leaves I suspect he'll become yet another player to leave and prove himself elsewhere.

MacKenzie is great cover when he's fit, but he does seem to break down an awful lot.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 30 Mar 2016, 5:12 pm

BigGee wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

Thanks, that sounds good. we are flying to Parma on the thursday and then heading down to Siena on saturday morning. A few beers pre-match sounds like a good idea. Will await your message.

Gee, I have said it before but if you get the chance to meet the Schizoid One for pre match shandies you should take him up on whatever he offers. By the way, you do have tattoos already don't you?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 30 Mar 2016, 6:52 pm

BBC Sport wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35928449

Good article on the work being done by an ex-Edinburgh man, Simon Cross, as defence coach for Worcester. I watched their win over London Irish at the weekend and it certainly wasn't their attack that won them that game, very solid defence. Good work Simon.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

Good article on the work being done by an ex-Edinburgh man, Simon Cross, as defence coach for Worcester. I watched their win over London Irish at the weekend and it certainly wasn't their attack that won them that game, very solid defence. Good work Simon.

Good spot. Worth keeping tabs on him. Maybe he can be a consultant for Glasgow for the next 1872 fixtures, to stop them shipping so many points again at us....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 31 Mar 2016, 3:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

Good spot. Worth keeping tabs on him. Maybe he can be a consultant for Glasgow for the next 1872 fixtures, to stop them shipping so many points again at us....

Forwards win you the game, the backs just decide by how much!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:37 pm

Gilchrist signed a new contract for another year. Guessing the Toloun thing is off/never happening

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:39 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Gilchrist signed a new contract for another year.  Guessing the Toloun thing is off/never happening

Yeah, i heard that rumour too. I was hoping they'd take him and repair him like they repaired Jonny Wilkinson.

Poor Gilco. Great player made of glass...
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

I'm pleased for Gilchrist - as most people know I'm a big fan of his and, as much as we joke, I'm sure everyone wants to see him get over his injury hell.

I think he is a top class lock when fully fit and if he regains that form he will be a big asset to both Edinburgh and Scotland.

And it will hopefully mean that we don't have to rely on Tiny Tim anymore!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:56 pm

It's only for a year, so it's possible this contract is just for him to prove his fitness, either with us or for a suitor.

Hoping he comes back and plays to the level we know he can, his run of injuries are ridiculous, but on his day he's a great player.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 31 Mar 2016, 5:03 pm

I was going to say the same. One year, far from evidence of undying commitment from either party. Quite rightly he'll have ambitions elsewhere as a 26 year old.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 31 Mar 2016, 6:13 pm

Hey all, living up in Edinburgh for a few years now I've started following a bit of Scottish Prem rugby as I've have a few mates who support Edinburgh sides...

I was always impressed with Jason Hill whenever I saw him play for Heriots and was delighted to see a stand-out player from the amateur leagues get a chance at a contract when Glasgow signed him for this year.

I know he's been injured a bit this season and playing back at Heriots most the time as he's been surplus to requirements with other quality 8s around. I was wondering if any Glasgow could shed light on whether he's had any game time at all in reserve matches/warm-ups or if there seems to be any chance he will get the chance to push a claim for another contract next season?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 Apr 2016, 7:49 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 Apr 2016, 10:07 am

I'm delighted about the Gilchrist re-signing. We currently have a really good group of locks with Bresler, Toolisx2, Gilchrist and MacKenzie. I suspect we may lose Alex Toolis in the summer, a shame in my opinion, but that still leaves a strong group.

Fingers crossed we can get Gilchrist back up and running. He's as important to Scotland as he is to Edinburgh.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 01 Apr 2016, 10:21 am

I've just seen that apparently Gilco turned down the move to Toloun to stay with Edinburgh. This can't be true, surely!? I mean unless it's a poor attempt at an April 1st joke, or he really likes the doctors & nurses at the Spire.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:22 am

EWT Spoons wrote:I've just seen that apparently Gilco turned down the move to Toloun to stay with Edinburgh. This can't be true, surely!? I mean unless it's a poor attempt at an April 1st joke, or he really likes the doctors & nurses at the Spire.

Did he turn them down or did they say, get fit and have a decent season and then we will have a look at you. They have signed a few injury crocks recently, Halfpenny and O'Connell so probably did not want to take a chance on another!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:32 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:I've just seen that apparently Gilco turned down the move to Toloun to stay with Edinburgh.   This can't be true, surely!?  I mean unless it's a poor attempt at an April 1st joke, or he really likes the doctors & nurses at the Spire.

Did he turn them down or did they say, get fit and have a decent season and then we will have a look at you. They have signed a few injury crocks recently, Halfpenny and O'Connell so probably did not want to take a chance on another!

I think that's probably right, and to be honest a good call on all sides. He needs to get himself fit, play a decent run of games for Edinburgh and take it from there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:41 am

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/19453.php#ETrBbVi8ituxpXFZ.97

Big Al Kellock to ref the pro 12 final, i'm sure he would do a better job than some on the refereeing panel after years of expertise in inspecting rucks!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:45 am

des wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
des wrote:

Any suggestions welcome

BG,

I have been to two different scottish theme bars in Italy - one in particular was really authentic - they had taken a complete interior out of an old pub in Scotland that had closed

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 01 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:I've just seen that apparently Gilco turned down the move to Toloun to stay with Edinburgh.   This can't be true, surely!?  I mean unless it's a poor attempt at an April 1st joke, or he really likes the doctors & nurses at the Spire.

I think that's probably right, and to be honest a good call on all sides. He needs to get himself fit, play a decent run of games for Edinburgh and take it from there.

I agree this seems more likely (and I think I posted something very similar further up this thread) but the way I've seen it reported is that he turned them down. Probably just some journalistic license with the truth, and he's been given a year to sort out his fitness.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

Glasgow have named an interesting squad for the Gala 7s this weekend; Junior, Sam Johnson and Nick Grigg among them. One new name that jumps out is fullback Dylan Taikato-Simpson from Stirling County, he seems to be a Kiwi who has played League in Oz amongst other things, seems to have a decent pedigree. Given his surname and the fact he's turning out for Stirling can we assume that he's SQ and that Glasgow/SRU are interested in potentially signing him up?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Glasgow have named an interesting squad for the Gala 7s this weekend; Junior, Sam Johnson and Nick Grigg among them. One new name that jumps out is fullback Dylan Taikato-Simpson from Stirling County, he seems to be a Kiwi who has played League in Oz amongst other things, seems to have a decent pedigree. Given his surname and the fact he's turning out for Stirling can we assume that he's SQ and that Glasgow/SRU are interested in potentially signing him up?  

Taikato-Simpson is a good old fashioned scots name eh!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 Apr 2016, 2:33 pm

Simpson is a Scottish name. Perhaps he married and hyphonated....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:06 pm

Simpson is an english name so Eddie Jones would be more interested than Vern!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next