The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 6 Nations Champions are...

+42
Cyril
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
DirtyRucker7
Fanster
rainbow-warrior
Breadvan
Sgt_Pooly
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
stub
bluestonevedder
Tattie Scones RRN
Rugby Fan
R!skysports
No 7&1/2
The Great Aukster
glamorganalun
Hammersmith harrier
doctor_grey
Heaf
Gwlad
Hoonercat
Barney McGrew did it
gregortree
GunsGerms
beshocked
Geordie
fa0019
TightHEAD
Noble-Surfer
captain carrantuohil
LordDowlais
SecretFly
RubyGuby
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
RuggerRadge2611
No9
46 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Who will win 2016 6 Nations

2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap57%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 50 ]
2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap7%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap1%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap2%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap2%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_lcap30%2016 6 Nations Champions are... Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 87

2016 6 Nations Champions are... Empty 2016 6 Nations Champions are...

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

No bickering here on this thread, there are plenty of others to for you girls to pull each others hair...

Here, just simply answer the poll... Now half way through (well nearly), who's going to lift that 6 Nations trophy for 2016.

Put all teams in the mix, for fairness (in alphabetic order not current standing)...

Not asking in the poll if you predict a Grand Slam win, as 2 sides have a chance of it, so if you want to predict that, by all means do so with a response...

No9

Back to top Go down

2016 6 Nations Champions are... Empty Re: 2016 6 Nations Champions are...

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:16 am

... I actually think England will take a Slam this year ... that really hurts me to say Sad

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:43 am

I think it's England's to lose.

France are hopeless and were made to work extremely hard by Italy and an Ireland team that has the majority of its first XV in the hospital led by a captain chosen by a ballot whose scrum is collapsing and his lineout work is questionable.

Wales are good but I'm not convinced their physicality will be enough to overcome England.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:50 am

No9 wrote:... I actually think England will take a Slam this year ... that really hurts me to say Sad

Tell you what we'll take the slam and you can say its devalued.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:51 am

I think England will win. The Grand Slam? I am not so sure about that to be honest.

England have Ireland, Wales, and France, even though Ireland have a lot of injuries, they can still be dangerous.

Wales? very capable of pulling off a stuning game of rugby, and could well do that against England.

France? Are starting at times to look like the France of old. running the ball from under their own post could well be the stumblimg block.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:02 am

My thoughts on the Slam being quite simple really....

I think England will beat Ireland, think Ireland are battered, bruised and in need of time to rebuild.

If Wales beat England its all over.. I cant see Wales losing to France in Cardiff, and then if they beat England (with Italy last in Cardiff) they will be unbeaten and hence take the title. However, I cant see that happening. England will want revenge for the RWC and Wales haven't been the force they have been in the past.

If (and I expect) England beat Ireland and Wales, to set up a Slam show down, I cant see a French team stopping them. I know its in Paris, but cant see the French team stopping England as Wales did in 2013.

I really think, this is England's best chance at a Slam for years..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

lostinwales wrote:
No9 wrote:... I actually think England will take a Slam this year ... that really hurts me to say Sad

Why would I say that... If a team beats all others, then how could it be devalued.. Good god stop whining...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

Extra option for Wales + Ref please - that one gets my vote.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:17 am

No9 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Why would I say that... If a team beats all others, then how could it be devalued.. Good god stop whining...

Don't take it too seriously it just seems to be the standing joke when Wales get a grand slam Smile

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:50 am

I think England will do it. It won't be particularly convincing, but I think they have enough strength in the pack to grind down Ireland and Wales, plus with Joseph they have just enough sparkle in the backs to convert chances.

Still, they have played the two worst teams in the tournament so we've yet to see them against Ireland/Wales.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think England will do it. It won't be particularly convincing, but I think they have enough strength in the pack to grind down Ireland and Wales, plus with Joseph they have just enough sparkle in the backs to convert chances.

Still, they have played the two worst teams in the tournament so we've yet to see them against Ireland/Wales.

Yes i agree England have played 2 worst teams in the 6ns. But the point i would like too make is that England have played 2 won 2 and ( HAVE NOT) had any tries scored against them.

But the test will come with Ireland. Will England be able to stop Irealnd scoring tries?

That remains too be seen.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I think England will do it. It won't be particularly convincing, but I think they have enough strength in the pack to grind down Ireland and Wales, plus with Joseph they have just enough sparkle in the backs to convert chances.

Yes i agree England have played 2 worst teams in the 6ns. But the point i would like too make is that England have played 2 won 2 and ( HAVE NOT) had any tries scored against them.

But the test will come with Ireland. Will England be able to stop Irealnd scoring tries?

Most of Ireland's 1st XV will be in the hospital.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

Oh we can stop them scoring tries. Unfortunately that isn't the only way of scoring points....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:05 pm

England will lose to France (who will already have lost to Wales) but with four wins will sneak the title on points difference.

Jones will be lauded for delivering a title, but will actually have done nothing more than Lancaster managed in each of his four seasons by securing 4 wins from 5.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

You'd put your fiver that you 'found' on the ground on England right now but then how many years have you lost a fiver doing just that?!  Huh?  Honestly?   The dead cert looks Englandy but dead certs with White shirts have fallen too many times at the final hurdle for it to be a safe bet.

I have a feeling France will keep winning, even by the few points.... their luck might be coming back to keep the lack of spark from interfering with their dreams...... yellow and red cards seem to be allergic to them anyway Whistle which is always half the battle in the pursuit of luck.

So I think it might be an England/France two horse race in the final weekend.... but failing that, it's a guaranteed Slam for Wales, even with the draw..... they're that good!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:17 pm

RubyGuby wrote:With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game thumbsup

Not unless we evolve our crappy tactics we wont. We will lose to both England and France if we continue playing like we did in the first two games, bish, bash,bosh and kick.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:25 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game thumbsup

Not unless we evolve our crappy tactics we wont. We will lose to both England and France if we continue playing like we did in the first two games, bish, bash,bosh and kick.

Agree with this, I have to say. Wales, if they use all their talents, rather than about two-thirds of them, would be my choice for the title (and they're clearly better value with the bookies than England at 9/4 against an absurd 4/5). Not sure that England should clearly be odds-on to beat Wales in any case; add in Ireland and a trip to Paris and those odds look ridiculous. I expect Wales to beat France, who travel appallingly these days, and they'll certainly account for Italy, so that makes the Twickenham game the potential decider. As I say, if Wales can get it into their heads that there is more than one way to skin a cat, especially against a defence that has tightened up dramatically, then they're a cracking bet, in my book.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

, bish, bash,bosh and kick.

Stop insulting Irish tactics, you f**ker!!!! mad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:41 pm

RubyGuby wrote:With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game  thumbsup

Don't know if that's a bit tongue in cheek, but I honestly think Gareth Davies is just as good as, if not better than Rhys Webb. His all-round game is top class. He has fast distribution, good pace, can spot the gap and break the defensive line well.

Last edited by Noble-Surfer on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

Wales all the way seeing as the offside rule doesn't apply to them.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm

Noble-Surfer wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game  thumbsup

Don't know if that's a bit tongue in cheek, but I honestly think Gareth Davies is just as good as, if not better than Rhys Webb. His all-round game is top class. He has fast distribution, good pace, can spot the gap and break the defensive line well.

Fast distribution! Good pace! - He's been a liability the last 2 games, slow to get the ball away, getting charged down when Stevie wonder can see what's coming - Woeful box kicking and he spots the gap like Liam Williams and forgets its a 15 man game and doesn't passs with others on his shoulder. Up until the 6 Nations he was doing well but IMO he has been poor and Im sure others will back me up with that. thumbsup

Amos on the wing instead of TJ completes the team.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

One game will decide the tournament as ever.. England Wales.

Wales look the better side but are playing away. England for all their woes probably should have won their encounter in the RWC. The balance of the England team looks dodgy though and Ford will be having nightmares over Roberts leading up to the match.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Noble-Surfer wrote:

Fast distribution! Good pace! - He's been a liability the last 2 games, slow to get the ball away, getting charged down when Stevie wonder can see what's coming - Woeful box kicking and he spots the gap like Liam Williams and forgets its a 15 man game and doesn't passs with others on his shoulder. Up until the 6 Nations he was doing well but IMO he has been poor and Im sure others will back me up with that. thumbsup

I can't see how you can drop Gareth. He's a proper test match class player. Webb was good but you can't really argue with Davies record.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

England got owned tactically and territorially by Ireland last year. If they show such naivety then they wont be anywhere near a slam...which I don't think they'll get anywhere near anyway.

Then Wales and France....who knows.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Mon 15 Feb 2016, 4:45 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Noble-Surfer wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:
With Rhys Webb and Lydiate back I really can't see Wales losing a game  thumbsup

Well he scored his sixth try in 11 tests against Scotland- a good record for any player. I think he, Liam Williams, Jon Davies and Scott Williams are probably our best attacking threats ball in hand. Granted he maybe hasn't played as well as he can so far this tournament, but I don't think he's done that much wrong.

You say he spots the gap like Liam Williams- I would say he and Liam Williams are two players who actually look for a gap rather than just trying to run through whoever is in front of them. Different type of players to Jamie Roberts/ George North who need a bit of space to get their speed up, and then try to bulldoze their way through whoever's in front of them... It's good for the team to have both options available.

Don't get me wrong- it will be great that Rhys Webb is back, but I would start with Gareth, as I don't think his performances so far warrant dropping him. Bring Rhys Webb on in the second half if/ when we need to shake things up a bit. If Webb plays a lot better than Davies while he's on, then by all means start with him for the next game.

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:05 pm

Liam and Davies are more dynamic but they have had poor games by their standards, maybe Liam coming back off injury - Likewise Foxy Davies looks well off the pace at the moment. Liam and Scott W in particular are the players that have more guile and compliment the power plays but Liam needs to be more aware of what's around him. I know what GD is capable of but for me we haven't seen much of it in the 6 Nations and Webb's cameo off the bench yesterday against Munster was sublime and got the backs and forwards moving much fatser.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:25 pm

Cannot write off the French. They've been pretty dire. So disorganised. Every other team has looked better and yet it's France who have 2 wins. 2nd in the table.

Both Italy and Ireland should have beaten them but didn't.

This French side has a lot of new players and combos which might well gel. Their defence held up well vs the Irish.

Logic would suggest it's England vs Wales which will be the title decider but France are a wild card and Ireland could overturn a tactically naive England.

Scotland were built up as the dark horses but it's been the French who have been going under the radar.

France will go to Wales as underdogs. Wales of course should win but then again Ireland and Italy should have won too...

Though saying that I think the schedule favours England now. Ireland and Wales at home is a big plus. Wales might have beaten England in the RWC but have lost their last 2 6 nations matches vs England and of course revenge will be on the cards. Ireland haven't beaten England at Twickenham since 2010.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:31 pm

Agreed that they've not been at their best so far this tournament, but Wales usually improve as the tournament goes on, and knowing what they can produce- I would hope we will see some of that quality soon- particularly against France and England.

Fair play, I didn't see the Ospreys' game yesterday, so can't comment on Webb's performance, but if he played well- that can only be a good thing for Wales.

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:36 pm

France haven't a hope in hell. Wales, Scotland and England will all blitz them IMO. Worst French team ever in the 6 nations.

Its between England and Wales IMO. It could go either way.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:43 pm

Noble-surfer my opinion on Wales is that Wales have never shown they can move above 4th-5th in the world.

Wales are a good side but I have not yet seen any sign of greatness.

What is Wales' best? When they've taken on the best they haven't been good enough, harsh but true. I should add I think all the 6 nations are off the pace at the moment including England but whilst I see plenty of room for improvement from Ireland,England and France I don't from Wales.

I have said it many times - I think the only way Wales will improve is getting rid of Gatland. It's hard because he's helped Wales be successful in the 6 nations but the benchmark is NZ.

It's a bit ironic that the two countries that sacked their coaches are 2/2 in the 6 nations so far...

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Mon 15 Feb 2016, 6:31 pm

beshocked- I wasn't commenting on Wales' standing in world rankings, or their performances vs the SH big 3... simply stating my observations about a couple of our options at scrum half, and who I think some of our more naturally gifted rugby players are.

By 'naturally gifted', I mean the players who tend to play what's been dubbed 'heads up rugby' automatically, i.e. look for the space/ offload, and exploit that if you can. I think that by looking to exploit any space as your first option, by running into it yourself, or passing to a player who has that option, you are far more likely to create try scoring opportunities. When there's nothing on, then powering into the opposition, and presenting the ball for your forwards to secure, or for your scrum half to recycle is the next best option- i.e. go through the phases, until you create the space to exploit.

The pundits seem to keep reiterating the necessity to 'earn the right to go wide', and while that's true to an extent- it's only true to the extent that you create the space to exploit- whether that's on the wing or in the centre of the field. When the space is there- use it, wherever it crops up.

I think Gatland has done a great job with Wales so far- we have learnt/ are learning how to keep the ball tight and play methodically, which you need to be able to do, so that you can revert to it when things aren't going your way in a game. Honestly, I think Gatland should see out his contract (up until 2019), but I would like to see someone with a bit more imagination coaching our backs now- Howley's had a run for a few years, but we don't look very imaginative in attack... our backs almost seem to have been playing the same game plan as our forwards for a few years...

What I'd love to see is the ability to play structured, forward based rugby (as we have under Gats), combined with the brilliant running rugby- cutting the backs loose whenever the opportunity is presented (as we did under Mike Ruddock- I don't know who the backs/ skills coach was then...?)

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

fa0019 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:
Noble-Surfer wrote:

I can't see how you can drop Gareth. He's a proper test match class player. Webb was good but you can't really argue with Davies record.

You can drop him because he's been quite sloppy. His passing in the last two games has been too slow. I've always rated him better than Webb, but Webb was playing well enough at the time to keep Davies out of the team. If Davies doesn't improve then we need to recall Webb.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

beshocked wrote:Noble-surfer my opinion on Wales is that Wales have never shown they can move above 4th-5th in the world.

Wales are a good side but I have not yet seen any sign of greatness.

What is Wales' best? When they've taken on the best they haven't been good enough, harsh but true. I should add I think all the 6 nations are off the pace at the moment including England but whilst I see plenty of room for improvement from Ireland,England and France I don't from Wales.

I have said it many times - I think the only way Wales will improve is getting rid of Gatland. It's hard because he's helped Wales be successful in the 6 nations but the benchmark is NZ.

It's a bit ironic that the two countries that sacked their coaches are 2/2 in the 6 nations so far...

Sacked? I thought they saw out their contracts and moved on. You could look at it like that but you should also consider that France played both their games at home, one against a weak team. England played the two weakest teams in the tournament. So it's not really ironic, especially when there's a lot more rugby to be played.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:37 am

Okay techniquely Lancaster resigned, certainly didn't see out his contract as the RFU had signed him and the other coaches for the long term.

As for France, I don't know if Philippe Saint Andre resigned but he was certainly seen as surplus to requirements.

As for England both their games were away. One against an Italian side who only narrowly lost to France and a Scottish team who were very optimistic after in their opinion a good RWC. Probably facing these sides at the worst possible time with a new coach too.

You can dismiss them as weak yet Scotland weren't exactly torn to shreds by Wales despite Wales being a lot more experienced. Ireland lost to France yet drew with Wales.

Yes still plenty to play for but 2/2 for England and France puts them 1st and 2nd in the table respectively.

noble surfer in regards to Gatland I only see it as an outsider looking at Gatland as a coach who has his merits but also limitations.

He's popular in Wales because he's made Wales a consistently good team and has been very successful in the 6 nations. I understand that.

It's just the top two inches, particularly against the SH sides I feel he's been lacking. Perhaps a top class backs coach is the answer, I still believe there has to be some change if Wales are to progress.

As for earning the right to go wide, I think it's right to a degree. You need to suck in the defenders, create the space outwide by trucking it up through the forwards. Far too often you see sides attacking when safety first of kicking is the best option.

I agree vision is important in rugby and far too often there are players who only know route one. Route one is good to a degree but there has to be balance.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:13 am

fa0019 wrote:One game will decide the tournament as ever.. England Wales.

Wales look the better side but are playing away. England for all their woes probably should have won their encounter in the RWC. The balance of the England team looks dodgy though and Ford will be having nightmares over Roberts leading up to the match.

Haskell and/or Clifford will be detailed to take care of Roberts. They know where he will be....ten channel ...and the direction he will run.....full ahead.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 16 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

Scotland knew where Doc was coming from on Sat - At least England wont have to cope with Lloyd Williams on the wing in March Greg thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:12 pm

gregortree England focussed too much on Roberts when Worsley man marked him a few years back. Didn't really work as Wales won.

Shouldn't focus on him because will allow other Welsh players more room to shine.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

beshocked if any other team had beaten Scotland or Italy it would be a case of "so what?" However seeing as England have beaten them they're absolutely amazing and on their way to glory. I'm finding Jones a bit arrogant since he took up his post with England, he could do with some more humility. Just imagine how you would all react if Gatland was coming out with what he's been saying.

I also don't think we did that badly against Scotland. They executed their game plan well which had us on the ropes for a while, but it didn't take much in the second half to break out of that and win the game, and IMO the score flatters them slightly... But tbh it's not relevant as we aren't talking ourselves up like England and Jones are doing. I also find it a bit daft that some England fans have been gloating about being top of the table so soon into the tournament - have you people not learned a thing from past tournaments where you've been in a good position only to fail again and again? Come on folks, get some humility!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Scotland knew where Doc was coming from on Sat - At least England wont have to cope with Lloyd Williams on the wing in March Greg thumbsup

Now now Ruby, don't start all that up again. And Bomber bugger2d up the subs in the final quarter. But hey, don't start me about Lloyd Williams. ..great try btw.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm

Mikey Dragon I disagree. I am sure if Wales had beaten Scotland and Italy away and had Ireland and England at home you would fancy your chances of bagging another slam.

England haven't been absolutely amazing, plenty of room for improvement. Still weaknesses to be exploited. Far from the finished article but some promise.

At least the England team backed up Eddie Jones' comment about giving Italy a thrashing.

Wales beat Scotland by 4 points at home.

Of course there's still plenty of work to do but England are top of the table at the moment - might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

As for humility I gave Wales credit for their blood and guts effort in the RWC to beat us. England need to get revenge now.

Hard not to talk up England when we have two of our toughest matches at home, neither Wales or Ireland are unbeatable either. France are unpredictable.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:06 pm

beshocked wrote:Mikey Dragon I disagree. I am sure if Wales had beaten Scotland and Italy away and had Ireland and England at home you would fancy your chances of bagging another slam.

England haven't been absolutely amazing, plenty of room for improvement. Still weaknesses to be exploited. Far from the finished article but some promise.

At least the England team backed up Eddie Jones' comment about giving Italy a thrashing.

Wales beat Scotland by 4 points at home.

Of course there's still plenty of work to do but England are top of the table at the moment - might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

As for humility I gave Wales credit for their blood and guts effort in the RWC to beat us. England need to get revenge now.

Hard not to talk up England when we have two of our toughest matches at home, neither Wales or Ireland are unbeatable either. France are unpredictable.

Spectacularly missing the point. Seeing as you asked, we usually fancy our chances anyway but we don't talk ourselves up after beating the two traditionally weakest teams in the tournament. We get accused of being arrogant anyway I guess.

Yes it was a good win from England but I expect more class and humility from coaches. At the World Cup you didn't hear any of the experienced coaches speaking that way about teams like Uruguay.

Not sure why you're mentioning our game against Scotland? Again we didn't talk ourselves up, we expected to be facing a better Scotland team and what do you know that is what happened.

It's an undeniable fact but it's daft to be gloating about being top after beating Scotland and Italy...

England are in a good position this tournament after gaining some early momentum and not for the first time either. I just expect more respect and humility from experienced coaches (less so from the fans).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

Thank goodness Eddie is not English.
Imagine the extra faux outrage at his pre Italy comments.
In a way I like that Eddie and Gatling gun are relaxed about being outspoken. Bomber was far too softly mealy mouthed most of the time, no...all the time.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm

Arrogance is an exaggerated sense of one's own importance and abilities.

There is quite a bit of level headedness from England fans. We know that Ireland and Wales are capable of beating England but then again there is belief that England can beat both too.

Eddie Jones said England would smash Italy and they did. Is it arrogant to tell the truth? Italy have never beaten England, it was unlikely they were going to.

England will be accused of arrogance whatever we do, might well as play the role.

We are 2/2 - that's a matter of fact. We are one of only two countries capable of the GS - that isn't arrogance, it's the truth.

It's not going to be easy but England in my opinion are in a good position, better than any other of the 6 nations.

7 tries, 0 conceded. Nice position to be in regards to points difference too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:44 pm

Last year Italy scored 3 tries against us. This year none. Wales has (rightly) got a very good reputation for the quality of their defense and yet they still managed to let Scotland score 2 tries.

Over 2 matches I think Scotland got within 5m of our line once (and then Billy managed to get away with something in the ruck) and Italy not at all. The penalty count is still a problem. We have also been very good and turning the chances we have had into tries.

Its still early days, but we could not have done much more. We are in as good a position as we could be at this point in the championship. We can't guarantee winning the rest of the games, and I do think there will be a lot of ugly rugby in the rest of our matches, but there could well be some good stuff too.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

Blimey, even an Aussie coach gets accused of English arrogance. Good job the English aren't overly sensitive or needy then.

Personally I'd like to see a whole lot more arrogance from the England team, not less.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:15 pm

I like the arrogance and it should be applauded when a team goes from 8th to 6th in the world rankings. Its kind of plucky and, good on 'em I say and richly deserved - Just don't go back into your shells again in March and get out there and give those welsh fellas a game this time for the full 80. So far so good and you're already talking the talk - Come March we will see if you can Walk the Talk. We can't wait thumbsup Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I also find it a bit daft that some England fans have been gloating about being top of the table so soon into the tournament - have you people not learned a thing from past tournaments where you've been in a good position only to fail again and again? Come on folks, get some humility!

That's classic. There seems to be more non-English than English on this thread predicting an England win yet we need to get some humility? I don't expect England to do the GS and in truth, had it not been for Ireland and Wales drawing, wouldn't have given them much hope of winning the 6 Nations either. Thanks for that Wink

Walks away humbly

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:46 pm

lostinwales wrote:

No, thats what you say when Wales win one, which they have done frequently. Obviously the same cant be said for other sides.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

Based on having beaten Scotland, who haven't won a 6 Nations game since 2014, and putting a few past Italy who usually compete for the Spoon after 60 minutes of attrition, England are now favourites for a Slam.

The 3 sides who have regularly outperformed them in the last 13 years since they last won a GS are still to be played but the Slam is a cert.

Best get those T shirt orders in again and ask them to change 2nd to Grand Slam Laugh

Eddie will be a Knight of the Realm by April by my calculations.

Arise Sir Eddie....

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next