The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

+36
EX7EY
Rodney
tunes666
Derbymanc
Nico the gman
mobilemaster8
RanjitPatel
ONETWOFOREVER
Happytravelling
djlovesyou
Hammersmith harrier
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Lance
aja424
owen10ozzy
wheelchair1991
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
JohnPrescottsJab
catchweight
B.A. BARACUS
Baby faced assassin
Jermaine2015
Good Golly I'm Olly
Coxy001
Scottrf
Pedro147
Steffan
ShahenshahG
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
Dipper Brown
AdamT
hazharrison
Rowley
TheMarvelousOne
40 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 7 Empty Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by TheMarvelousOne Sat 27 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Amazed there is no dedicated thread for this fight!

Where is everyone watching it? Im at home, beer at the moment then onto the vino with a curry on standby.

Who have you got to win? Always thought Frampton would win this but have seen a calmness in Quigg this week that exudes extreme confidence. Frampton on the other hand has seemed tetchy at the press conference and weigh-in and seems to have used up too much energy in trying to get under Team Quiggs skin.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 7 Empty Re: Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by catchweight Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:19 am

I thought the 11th round was when you saw the best of Quigg. He clearly won that round fighting the way he needed to have fought all along to give himself the best chance of winning.

But the 12th round then I thought you saw the best of Frampton as he bounced bck and mixed attack with defence superbly to win the round and finish strongly.

They were the only two rounds where I felt either boxers performance rose above into the top quality bracket.

Quigg was so disappointing over the first 7 or 8 rounds that by extension I found it hard to credit Frampton with any great praise for essentially edging rounds by falling into the "doing enough to nick them" rather than winning them in style bracket.

Frampton settled quicker and looked more comfortable, but I really dont think we saw the best of either boxer in there by a long way. Overall a pretty disappointing fight, although if one was hugely invested in either boxer I can see how it would be tense and absorbing as a contest. I found it frustrating because the last couple of rounds hinted we could have had a potential thriller and seen bother boxers bring the best out of each other. What might have been.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 7 Empty Re: Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:39 am

Slightly grated me Barry saying he's moving onto the next level when for me it looked like he was getting a touch beaten up in the second half of that fight. He's yet to definitively prove he's a level above Quigg for me. Alright he stayed away from Quigg first few rounds but did he really land anything bar the jaw breaker?

So anything less than Santa Cruz and that promise is going to look a little hollow.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:18 am

I was at the fight and they looked different levels - Scott Quigg must be one of the most basic so called world champions we've had, his balance and footwork was so poor for a top level fighter. Frampton looked like he had a lot more to his game and regardless of what tactics he adopted he would've won in my mind, I'd be surprised if Quigg wins any sort of other strap in the future. I had it 117-112 Frampton. Great occasion and atmosphere but the boxing was the let down on the day - unfortunately made it in time to watch Gavin Mcdonnell (he is dull to watch)

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:57 am

Milky, felt he was in trouble in the 10th (I think) when he got nailed by a big right hand. Outside of that, nope and agreed he wasn't in much trouble.

Quite what Quigg was doing in the first 6 I'm not sure.... Frampton won those rounds by simply being a bit more active. Not like he boxed his ears off.

Quigg to get Rigo next I reckon. Frampton needs LSC, who I think he loses to handily.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:24 am

I think most people have known all along that Quigg is limited as a boxer. But you don't always need the best skills in this game to win and thats one of the factors that makes the sport exciting.

However, I think when you know you're up against a fighter with much better boxing skills ala Carl Framption, to then go out and essentially give away the first half of the fight is absolutely bizarre. Fair enough, put the feelers out in the first few rounds and fight the cagey fight but to do that for the whole of the first half of the fight? Terrible tactics from trainer of the year Gallagher.

It does feel different when you're in the ring of course, Scott Quigg was genuinely surprised when Gallagher told him he was massively down on Sky's card. He clearly felt like he hadn't been hit, which he hadn't really, but Carl Frampton just looked comfortable. He was making Quigg miss badly and controlling the fight so from a judges point of view theres only one way to score it. Quigg also forgot that whilst not getting hit is great, to win rounds you actually have to do something.

Personally I feel quite let down by the whole thing. It's been years in the making and if we're all honest it was a bit of a bore fest really overall. This happens to often in boxing for me and this is why PPV gets right on my nerves. The undercard was mediocre at best and the whole thing pretty much hinged on the main event being the all anticipated barn stomer and instead we got nothing.

Not sure where Quigg goes now, I think all roads lead to Carl Frampton in Belfast because Eddie will have no bother selling that as unfinished business in 18 months time.

Even though I'm a Quigg fan because he's a local lad and I've seen him live a few times I like Carl Frampton, but I'm not overly convinced with him either.

Time will tell but I think we'll see Frampton V Quigg Part 2 - Unfinished Business in Belfast, around the end of Summer 2017.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:29 am

Barry won't let him near Santa Cruz surely?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

Barry thinks he's better than he is. LSC batters him for me

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:42 am

you could be right about the 10/11th coxy, it was hard to tell.. he was certainly uncomfortable for a bit!

I'm really not buying this technical masterclass stuff for the first 6 rounds, Haz.... ' Quigg couldn't set his feet... Frampton even came forward'. Was Quigg trying to set his feet? He was deliberately going backwards, trying to draw Frampton in. Gallagher said so, Frampton said as much. If Frampton had been ramming a jab in his face for 6 rounds, I'd be more convinced, but most were glove touchers. Carl was certainly able to avoid most of Quiggs occasional lunges but occasional is the word. Quigg was waiting for the right hand to counter and Frampton very rarely offered it. More tactical than technical for me.

Where Frampton really needed his footwork, was when Quigg was trying to come forward... and it was far less impressive in the second half of the fight. Now that might well have been the Quigg plan... they may have felt that scott would never get to Frampton when he was fresh, so no point trying. The flaw in that was obvious... giving rounds away for free without wearing down the opponent and playing to your strengths.

Hey, I'm no trainer, but that's what I saw. Shame Fingers isn't around to offer a view.

I wanted Frampton to win as I've always seen him as a genuine talent who could go on to bigger and better things...  he has a little bit of everything, but but i'm not convinced by his stamina, and although he's quick on his feet, his head movement seems variable and he ships some leather. Quigg was landing with lead rights at times on saturday.

If the stamina is being tight at the weight, we'll find out if they get the lsc fight on... but as i've said before, he's going to look small as a feather.

Surprised more isn't being made of the broken jaw... has anyone seen the x-ray? Nasty. If he really did it in the fourth (guess frampton must have landed something) then it was a mix of bravery and stupidity to fight on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

It'll never happen(the Santa fight) so it's pointless even conjecturing.

Beat Santa and that would make me a fan. I don't care about Rigo as the whole division is avoiding him.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:55 am

A UK May-Pac??

Given how 'average' everyone seems to be pointing out Quigg is, doesn't reflect that well on Frampton to go the distance in a turgid fight with him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:A UK May-Pac??

Given how 'average' everyone seems to be pointing out Quigg is, doesn't reflect that well on Frampton to go the distance in a turgid fight with him.

Comparable.

I don't think Frampton was ever bothered about going for the KO really. He knew he was so far ahead after half way that he was unlikely to lose if it went down to the cards.

Again it all stems back to Quigg really IMO, fighting like that for the entire first half of the fight just set it up for Frampton not having to do all that much in the end so why would Carl expose himself to counters by going hunting for the KO punch?

If Quigg had at least mixed it up bit in the first 6 rounds then the whole fight changes complextion doesnt it? If the opening 6 rounds were more contested Frampton would have been drawn into a scrap with Quigg for the second half of the fight. As it was, he just needed to avoid any KO scare a and nick another round or two, which is exactly what he did.

Quigg to blame for a boring fight IMO. As a Quigg fan thats not easy to say.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

Herman, why will LSC not got ahead? Barry and Frampton have made noises about it.....

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:19 am

Boxing the way it is today , anytime there's a decent fight on the horizon you have to wait five years for it, it seems.

Looking forward to Eubank vs Blackwell though. With both their exciting styles, that one can't fail to be explosive and entertaining.

Coxy, I hope I'm wrong. I really do..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

I seem to be one of the (very) few that had this far closer.

The first 5-6 rounds were very close, Frampton was busier but neither seemed to be landing. Quigg had a great defence and caught most of it on the gloves and arms, would have had 4-5 of these rounds a draw as there was nothing to score between them.

Frampton won the other early rounds before Quigg had 3-4 rounds and then another draw at the end.

My card would have been 117-115 in favour of Frampton.

Could understand anyone else's card through as I felt the fist rounds were difficult depending whether you prefer the defensive boxing of Quigg or the more aggressive but not landing Frampton.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:29 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Boxing the way it is today , anytime there's a decent fight on the horizon you have to wait five years for it, it seems.

Looking forward to Eubank vs Blackwell though. With both their exciting styles, that one can't fail to be explosive and entertaining.

And therein lies the problem.

If fights got made quicker then turned out to be stinkers you can move on quickly and forget about it. As it stands at the moment you go through years, literally years of build up and often the end product leaves a sour taste.

For me, boxing needs dragging over the coals. It's time there was an overarching governing body that eclipses all of the organisations and forces fights through. There should be independent ranking systems or something, I don't know.

I hate to make comparisons to the UFC because Im a boxing fan and I only occasionally stray into MMA territory but you have to hand it to them where their business model is concerned IMO.

I am sick of hearing about money in boxing. It literally is all it boils down to in almost every single fight and its infuriating.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:30 am

milkyboy wrote:you could be right about the 10/11th coxy, it was hard to tell.. he was certainly uncomfortable for a bit!

I'm really not buying this technical masterclass stuff for the first 6 rounds, Haz.... ' Quigg couldn't set his feet... Frampton even came forward'. Was Quigg trying to set his feet? He was deliberately going backwards, trying to draw Frampton in. Gallagher said so, Frampton said as much. If Frampton had been ramming a jab in his face for 6 rounds, I'd be more convinced, but most were glove touchers. Carl was certainly able to avoid most of Quiggs occasional lunges but occasional is the word. Quigg was waiting for the right hand to counter and Frampton very rarely offered it. More tactical than technical for me.

Where Frampton really needed his footwork, was when Quigg was trying to come forward... and it was far less impressive in the second half of the fight. Now that might well have been the Quigg plan... they may have felt that scott would never get to Frampton when he was fresh, so no point trying. The flaw in that was obvious... giving rounds away for free without wearing down the opponent and playing to your strengths.

Hey, I'm no trainer, but that's what I saw. Shame Fingers isn't around to offer a view.

I wanted Frampton to win as I've always seen him as a genuine talent who could go on to bigger and better things...  he has a little bit of everything, but but i'm not convinced by his stamina, and although he's quick on his feet, his head movement seems variable and he ships some leather. Quigg was landing with lead rights at times on saturday.

If the stamina is being tight at the weight, we'll find out if they get the lsc fight on... but as i've said before, he's going to look small as a feather.

Surprised more isn't being made of the broken jaw... has anyone seen the x-ray? Nasty. If he really did it in the fourth (guess frampton must have landed something) then it was a mix of bravery and stupidity to fight on.

Quigg was taking a couple of steps back, looking to hold his feet and then counter. Frampton came forward, jabbed between the gloves and when Quigg himself and was away. I though the feinting was excellent from both men - made for a dull spectacle at times (for those expecting Barrera-Morales 4) but I found it fascinating. Technically, Frampton was excellent - it's not easier for a small guy with a shorter reach to outjab an opponent as good as Quigg. I think even Frampton was confused by Quigg's inability to get off - as though he was waiting for him to catch fire.

Frampton landed a pearler of an uppercut (to break the jaw). Quigg said he didn't feel it but he showed real guts to come on down the stretch.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:31 am

From the naked eye - they looked different levels to me, not that im saying Frampton looked brilliant but Quigg is the poorest world champion ive seen in the flesh, his movement looked so robotic and crude.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:It'll never happen(the Santa fight) so it's pointless even conjecturing.

Beat Santa and that would make me a fan. I don't care about Rigo as the whole division is avoiding him.

Oh I disagree there. That's the next big fight for both. Both are Haymon fighters and so it's a cinch to make.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

EX7EY wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Boxing the way it is today , anytime there's a decent fight on the horizon you have to wait five years for it, it seems.

And therein lies the problem.

If fights got made quicker then turned out to be stinkers you can move on quickly and forget about it.  As it stands at the moment you go through years, literally years of build up and often the end product leaves a sour taste.

For me, boxing needs dragging over the coals.  It's time there was an overarching governing body that eclipses all of the organisations and forces fights through.  There should be independent ranking systems or something, I don't know.

I hate to make comparisons to the UFC because Im a boxing fan and I only occasionally stray into MMA territory but you have to hand it to them where their business model is concerned IMO.

I am sick of hearing about money in boxing.  It literally is all it boils down to in almost every single fight and its infuriating.

You just summed up exactly what I think very nicely.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

Rodney wrote:From the naked eye - they looked different levels to me, not that im saying Frampton looked brilliant but Quigg is the poorest world champion ive seen in the flesh, his movement looked so robotic and crude.

Cheers, Rodders

I think that's slightly harsh myself. In terms of boxing ability Frampton is definitely the better of the two. I think most knew that well before the fight.

I actually thought Quigg started to cut off the ring really well at times in the second half of the fight but he still refused to put his punches together and this allowed Frampton to move away or come back at him.

I still believe Frampton is a very winnable fight for Quigg, I just think Quigg got the tactics completely wrong.

Not taking anything away from Frampton though, deserved winner.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

huw wrote:I seem to be one of the (very) few that had this far closer.

The first 5-6 rounds were very close, Frampton was busier but neither seemed to be landing. Quigg had a great defence and caught most of it on the gloves and arms, would have had 4-5 of these rounds a draw as there was nothing to score between them.

Frampton won the other early rounds before Quigg had 3-4 rounds and then another draw at the end.

Could understand anyone else's card through as I felt the fist rounds were difficult depending whether you prefer the defensive boxing of Quigg or the more aggressive but not landing Frampton.

I had it 9 round to 3 for Frampton. I thought he swept the first eight rounds and won the last. Frampton was landing between the guard - you can't score a round for Quigg just because he tucked up. Frampton controlled the rounds and Quigg (who looked bamboozled at times).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:36 am

Rodney wrote:From the naked eye - they looked different levels to me, not that im saying Frampton looked brilliant but Quigg is the poorest world champion ive seen in the flesh, his movement looked so robotic and crude.

Cheers, Rodders

Looked a great atmosphere Rodders?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:41 am

hazharrison wrote:

Cheers, Rodders

Fantastic mate, the whole city was buzzing with the Rugby on earlier during the day. I would say 90% Irish - they were great craic and I never seen one bit of bother in the city or the arena. I had it same score as you in the arena, dont think anyone around us had given Quigg anything bar a even first round up until 7th or 8th.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

hazharrison wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:It'll never happen(the Santa fight) so it's pointless even conjecturing.

Oh I disagree there. That's the next big fight for both. Both are Haymon fighters and so it's a cinch to make.

Hope you're right mate, I'm sure Carl wants it.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:46 am

hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:you could be right about the 10/11th coxy, it was hard to tell.. he was certainly uncomfortable for a bit!

Quigg was taking a couple of steps back, looking to hold his feet and then counter. Frampton came forward, jabbed between the gloves and when Quigg himself and was away. I though the feinting was excellent from both men - made for a dull spectacle at times (for those expecting Barrera-Morales 4) but I found it fascinating. Technically, Frampton was excellent - it's not easier for a small guy with a shorter reach to outjab an opponent as good as Quigg. I think even Frampton was confused by Quigg's inability to get off - as though he was waiting for him to catch fire.

Frampton landed a pearler of an uppercut (to break the jaw). Quigg said he didn't feel it but he showed real guts to come on down the stretch.

I saw most of the frampton jabs falling short haz, or touching gloves. It's partly what quigg wanted which is why I don't see it as awe inspiring from frampton. Quigg was mainly trying to draw the right hand to counter and frampton was too disciplined to offer it. For me tactics more than technique.

By the by. They were saying they were on the phone about an lsc match straight after the fight so it looks favourite. Frampton prefers rigo first apparently but likely to get talked out of it you'd imagine.

How do you see Frampton Santa Cruz then haz?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:46 am

Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Cheers, Rodders

Fantastic mate, the whole city was buzzing with the Rugby on earlier during the day. I would say 90% Irish - they were great craic and I never seen one bit of bother in the city or the arena. I had it same score as you in the arena, dont think anyone around us had given Quigg anything bar a even first round up until 7th or 8th.

Cheers, Rodders

That's what I found in Belfast - his fans were loud and made a racket but the whole atmosphere was extremely good-natured (which isn't often the case at boxing shows).

I've seen some odd cards floating about. Cliff Rold - who's an excellent historian - had it for Quigg! Almost as bad as Jim Watt having him one up before the final round. Sky's coverage left a lot to be desired from what I've read/heard.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

hazharrison wrote:
Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Cheers, Rodders

Cheers, Rodders

That's what I found in Belfast - his fans were loud and made a racket but the whole atmosphere was extremely good-natured (which isn't often the case at boxing shows).

I've seen some odd cards floating about. Cliff Rold - who's an excellent historian - had it for Quigg! Almost as bad as Jim Watt having him one up before the final round. Sky's coverage left a lot to be desired from what I've read/heard.

I find it astonishing how anyone could give it to Quigg he done absolutely next to nothing for 80% of the fight. Love to know what the master tactician Gallagher's plan was.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:52 am

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I saw most of the frampton jabs falling short haz, or touching gloves. It's partly what quigg wanted which is why I don't see it as awe inspiring from frampton.  Quigg was mainly trying to draw the right hand to counter and frampton was too disciplined to offer it. For me tactics more than technique.

By the by. They were saying they were on the phone about an lsc  match straight after the fight so it looks favourite. Frampton prefers rigo first apparently but likely to get talked out of it you'd imagine.

How do you see Frampton Santa Cruz then haz?

Frampton wasn't awe-inspiring but his boxing was technically very, very good. His timing, judgment of distance and footwork was excellent (and made Quigg look like a guy who didn't want to punch - which obviously wasn't the case).

I always fancied Frampton to stop LSC (as he's so hittable), however, I'm starting to like LSC in that fight. A lot would depend on how Frampton holds the weight. I think he'd benefit from not dehydrating but then he's small (in stature) and LSC would have the range on him.

It's a great fight, though. I really hope it gets made. I just hope he has a summer bout in Belfast first!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:52 am

I think it's time for a shake up on the Sky team. I used to hate Jim Watt but I've warmed to the guy a bit. It used to feel as though he wanted the ref to jump in and stop the fight anytime something clean landed but he seems to have packed that in a bit now. He was alright on Saturday, you could tell he was as frustrated with it as a fan, but scoring a draw was bizarre.

Halling, can't stand the guy. Does anybody know his background? I cant be bothered looking it up but Im guessing he doesnt come from a boxing background because he doesnt make a lot of sense and often repeats the same statements in each fight from the first undercard to the main event.

Glen McCrory, Nelson et al are ok, but Id like to see Paulie M on there more often and it would be good if they could find others of a similar mold.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:54 am

Compubox stats arent a great representation of a fight.......but according to them Quigg threw 320 punches in 12 rounds.......LSC threw 570 in his 5 round fight with Martinez

I'm not saying LSC can match those numbers against Frampton as Frampton is a different class to Kiko, but there is no way Frampton won't be put under servere pressure and given how he faded against Quigg don't see the LSC fight panning out too well for him
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:54 am

EX7EY wrote:I think it's time for a shake up on the Sky team.  I used to hate Jim Watt but I've warmed to the guy a bit.  It used to feel as though he wanted the ref to jump in and stop the fight anytime something clean landed but he seems to have packed that in a bit now.  He was alright on Saturday, you could tell he was as frustrated with it as a fan, but scoring a draw was bizarre.

Halling, can't stand the guy.  Does anybody know his background?  I cant be bothered looking it up but Im guessing he doesnt come from a boxing background because he doesnt make a lot of sense and often repeats the same statements in each fight from the first undercard to the main event.

Glen McCrory, Nelson et al are ok, but Id like to see Paulie M on there more often and it would be good if they could find others of a similar mold.

Yeah, I love Paulie on commentary. He's as sharp as a tack.

Halling is from an NFL background. He's adored by NFL fans by all accounts. Surely it would be fair to both to reuinte them?!

I don't think the Hearn-Gallagher-Sky team ethos helps anyone. Yes they all rely on each other to promote their product but the lack of impartiality is embarassing. American fans who've caught the commentary are flabbergasted!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

Agree re the relationship between Hearn/Gallagher/SKY. And that just all links back to what we said about money, it just dictates every aspect of our sport.

Don't know what everyone sees in Gallagher myself. Comes across as an odious little man to me.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 11:06 am

EX7EY wrote:Agree re the relationship between Hearn/Gallagher/SKY.  And that just all links back to what we said about money, it just dictates every aspect of our sport.

Don't know what everyone sees in Gallagher myself.  Comes across as an odious little man to me.

He's (apparently) very unpopular with fighters (outside of his own gym).

It's a shame that Quigg's associated with him in some respects as he's a nice lad. I thought Frampton and Barry Mac were extremely gracious winners (and Quigg a gracious loser) afterwards.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 11:09 am

I too used to like frampton against lsc, but I don't anymore. The big unknown is obviously how frampton handles the weight, primarily whether his fading in fights is down to weight issues or just a natural stamina thing. Lsc will be on him all night and if frampton fades he's kippered.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 11:13 am

milkyboy wrote:I too used to like frampton against lsc, but I don't anymore. The big unknown is obviously how frampton handles the weight, primarily whether his fading in fights is down to weight  issues or just a natural stamina thing. Lsc will be on him all night and if frampton fades he's kippered.

It's a Vegas fight I reckon - would be a great fight to travel over to (alas, my days of disposable income are no more).

Hearn spoke about trying to pick up a vacant belt for Quigg (whichever Frampton lets go). Maybe he should really go for broke and go for Rigo?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm

Compubox Numbers

I know you can't judge a fight purely on these numbers but if they're accurate for Quigg to only land 11 punches total in the first 6 rounds is absolutely shocking (not that Frampton's were much better)...

boxing

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm

Framps was calling LSC out on Twitter this morning.

What weight would it be at though? Think Carl will be small above super-bantam.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

The talk on here is LSC and Rigo, I think Donaire has enough to give both Quigg and Frampton huge problems.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

14% accuracy from Carl? Christ that's poor.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

Nico the gman wrote:The talk on here is LSC and Rigo, I think Donaire has enough to give both Quigg and Frampton huge problems.

LSC versus Rigo??!

Or do you mean LSC-Framp and Rigo-Quigg? Have seen that bandied around.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Framps was calling LSC out on Twitter this morning.

What weight would it be at though? Think Carl will be small above super-bantam.

Featherweight. Frampton has declared a desire to fight there recently.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:22 pm

In the Boxing News preview McGuigan was saying LSC would be their preference next. He acknowledged Rigo is the number one and would be Carl's preference, but Barry said with his managers head on Rigo does not make any sense. He is all risk, wants paying well, is a tough fight but generates sod all revenue. As such Barry does not feel you can pay Carl an amount that justifies the risk, which makes sense. The way he was talking he feels LSC is a better paid fight for less risk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:27 pm

From Belfast Telegraph:

Carl Frampton could be heading for a blockbuster showdown with World featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz this summer at either Windsor Park or the Kingspan Stadium.

WBA featherweight king Santa Cruz retained his title with a fifth-round stoppage of former Frampton foe Kiko Martinez in California, just hours after the Jackal had ruthlessly turned back the challenge of Scott Quigg on Saturday night in the Manchester Arena.

Well done to Leo Santa Cruz and commiserations to my friend KikoMartinez. Fancy a summer showdown @leosantacruz2? I'm ready

— Carl Frampton (@RealCFrampton) February 29, 2016

Now Frampton wants a shot at becoming the first Northern Ireland boxer to win World titles at two different weights and a showdown with Santa Cruz would be one of the most exciting clashes in world boxing.

Jake McGuigan, the Head of Boxing at Cyclone Promotions, revealed that he has been in regular talks with the Santa Cruz camp over recent months about the possible showdown and straight after Frampton had beaten Quigg he was on the phone to America to reiterate his desire to make the fight.

Frampton has a tie-up with American promoter Al Haymon, as does Santa Cruz, so securing a deal is a realistic possibility.

Jake said: "I spoke to Al Haymon's man and said 'let's make the fight' and he agreed.

"The Santa Cruz team genuinely want to make the fight. We're on the same American TV channel which also helps. His dad was actually there to watch Carl in El Paso, as was Leo, and they may have gained confidence because Carl had gone down.

"We would love the fight for the summer in Belfast and I think we can make him an offer that can help us bring him here but whether it's the summer or later in the year it's the biggest fight out there for Carl.

"American fighters are coming to the UK and UK and Irish boxing is booming. It would be a natural outdoor venue fight."

Frampton, though, will come under pressure to make mandatory defences of both his belts with Shingo Wake the IBF's number one contender and Cuban legend Guillermo Rigondeaux will be waiting after a routine victory over British champion Jazza Dickens in Liverpool next month.

But the lure of a showdown with Santa Cruz in Belfast or New York would be too strong if his team can thrash out a deal - which could well mean a two-fight agreement with one in Belfast and the return Stateside.

Frampton said: "To fight at Windsor is a dream of mine and before I end my career I want that chance. Santa Cruz is the fight I would love, it would be a great fight but I've always said that I am happy to beat Rigondeaux and I'm the only one in the division who can beat him."

Meanwhile, Frampton's coach Shane McGuigan felt more than vindicated after winning the tactical battle with Quigg's coach Joe Gallagher.

"Carl did just enough every single round to prove he is the much better fighter," said Shane.

"He won the first five with ease. Joe Gallagher is not the coach he's cracked up to be. He came up with tactics that gave away the first five rounds, it's madness and why? Because he thinks a World champion is going to blow up - he's off his nut.

"We kept picking up rounds and Carl could have made the fight a lot easier for himself.

"There's no need for a re-match, the fact they had it as a split decision is laughable. Barry Hearn told me he had Carl five rounds up and Eddie Hearn had Carl three rounds ahead."

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

hazharrison wrote:

I had it 9 round to 3 for Frampton. I thought he swept the first eight rounds and won the last. Frampton was landing between the guard - you can't score a round for Quigg just because he tucked up. Frampton controlled the rounds and Quigg (who looked bamboozled at times).

I didn't feel I could give the round to Frampton either as he didn't seem to be landing to me, they drew rounds because they both did very little rather than they both earned to draw the rounds.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I didn't feel I could give the round to Frampton either as he didn't seem to be landing to me, they drew rounds because they both did very little rather than they both earned to draw the rounds.

Frampton may not have being busy like Hank Armstrong but he was throwing and landing enough to sweep the first 7-8 rounds. He was the one leading, he was the one controlling the pace.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:56 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:14% accuracy from Carl? Christ that's poor.

and outlanded (a pitiful 85-83 across the fight). Compubox sounds scientific but its a guy pressing a button when he thinks a punch has landed, and it makes no value judgement of quality. Despite that caveat, I'm quite happy to use it in this instance to question whether a punch accuracy that poor warrants the technical plaudits coming framptons way Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Frampton may not have being busy like Hank Armstrong but he was throwing and landing enough to sweep the first 7-8 rounds. He was the one leading, he was the one controlling the pace.

I'm not saying he wasn't bust or pressing the fight but in the first 6 rounds there were probably on 2-3 scoring punches. In this instance I'm not sure that the person throwing and being made to miss deserves to score more than the person defending well but throwing little (if anything) back.

We aren't talking about someone who landed 30-40 punches more than the other, there were only 2-3 punches difference in most of the early rounds.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I'm not saying he wasn't bust or pressing the fight but in the first 6 rounds there were probably on 2-3 scoring punches. In this instance I'm not sure that the person throwing and being made to miss deserves to score more than the person defending well but throwing little (if anything) back.

We aren't talking about someone who landed 30-40 punches more than the other, there were only 2-3 punches difference in most of the early rounds.

Mate, Quigg barely threw a punch and landed virtually nothing of note. While Frampton was economical, he was the man controlling the rounds, landing the better shots and exhibiting the better ring generalship. He fought his fight and made Quigg fight the way he wanted him to.

You don't need to land 30 more punches than your opponent to win a round.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

hazharrison wrote:

a lot of people had the first even, wasn't much in the 4th. Thought 8 to 11 were quigg, 12th frampton.  Gives a range of 8-4 to 6-4-2 as reasonable cards for me. 2-4 point win. 2 judges had their eyes open. Better than usual.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:37 pm

huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

But surely in a fight where not much is happening you've got to edge the rounds to the guy who is boxing better no? It was clear Carl was the fighter who was controlling the pace and the action.

As I've said on another thread, if Quiggs tactics were to have a conservative opening 6 rounds then fair enough, but you must do something by way of aggression. Carl wasn't leaving much opportunity to counter punch so finish the rounds busy at least. You have to at least give the judges a question to answer, a decision to make. There was no decision because Quigg wasn't throwing and when he was throwing he was missing badly.

Carl was in control for me in the first half. So even if you want to get really technical and go right down to the numbers, you absolutely could have a case to say neither landed much at all, but the fight was fought at Framptons pace and he controlled it well so as a judge I would have to lean toward Frampton.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next