The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

+13
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Corporalhumblebucket
king_carlos
James100
thegooch7
kingdaveeagle
alfie
Jetty
SimonofSurrey
chichestersurryfan
JDizzle
jimbohammers
Strings Philander
17 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Apr 2016, 7:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Club captain: Gareth Batty

First team squad for 2016 summer

Batsmen: Rory Burns, Arun Harinath, Dominic Sibley, Kumar Sangakarra (overseas), Aaron Finch (cover for Sangakarra during CPL)

Wicket-keepers: Ben Foakes, Gary Wilson, Steve Davies

All-rounders: Zafar Ansari, James Burke, Aneesh Kapil, Azhar Mahmood (British passport - T20 only), Dwayne Bravo (T20 only), Chris Morris (cover for Dwayne Bravo during CPl - T20 only)

Seamers: Tom Curran, Sam Curran, Jade Dernbach, Matt Dunn, Mark Footitt, Stuart Meaker, Connor McKerr (UK passport), Matthew Philans (UK Passport), Ravi Rampaul (Kolpak)

Spinners: Gareth Batty, Freddie van den Bergh

CC division 1 fixtures

Sunday April 10 - Nottinghamshire - Trent Bridge
Sunday April 24 - Somerset - The Oval
Sunday May 1 - Durham - The Oval
Sunday May 8 - Yorkshire - Headingley
Sunday May 15 - Middlesex - The Oval
Sunday May 22 - Lancashire - Old Trafford
Saturday May 28 - Somerset - The County Ground, Taunton
Sunday June 19 - Nottinghamshire - The Oval
Saturday July 2 - Warwickshire - Guildford CC
Monday July 11 - Yorkshire - The Oval
Sunday July 17 - Hampshire - The Ageas Bowl
Thursday August 4 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground
Saturday August 13 - Warwickshire - Edgbaston
Tuesday August 23 - Lancashire - The Oval
Tuesday September 6 - Hampshire - The Oval
Monday September 12 - Durham - Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

T20 Blast fixtures

Friday May 20 - Essex - Chelmsford
Thursday May 26 - Glamorgan - The Oval
Friday June 3 - Sussex - The County Cricket Ground, Hove
Thursday June 9 - Hampshire - The Oval
Friday June 10 - Somerset - The County Ground, Taunton
Friday June 17 - Middlesex - The Oval
Friday June 24 - Glamorgan - Sophia Gardens
Saturday June 25 - Essex - The Oval
Wednesday July 6 - Gloucestershire - Nevil Road
Friday July 8 - Somerset - The Oval
Friday July 15 - Kent - The Nevill Ground
Thursday July 21 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground
Friday July 22 - Sussex - The Oval
Friday July 29 - Kent - The Oval

Royal London One Day Cup Fixtures

Sunday June 5 - Kent - Beckenham, Worsley Bridge Road
Wednesday June 8 - Somerset - The Oval
Tuesday June 14 - Sussex - Guildford CC
Wednesday June 15 - Hampshire - The Ageas Bowl
Sunday July 24 - Essex - Chelmsford
Wednesday July 27 - Gloucestershire - The Oval
Monday August 1 - Glamorgan - The Oval
Tuesday August 2 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground

Departures from 2015: Tim Linley (RET), Vikram Solanki (RET - now 2nd XI captain), Kevin Pietersen (has announced he won't be playing county cricket in 2016), David Balcombe (RET)

Arrivals for 2016: Mark Footitt (Derbyshire), Conor McKerr (UK passport), Mathew Philans (UK passport), Ravi Rampaul (KPK), Aaron Finch (cover for Sangakarra during CPL), Dwayne Bravo (T20 only), Chris Morris (cover for Bravo during CPL - T20 only)

The other big news to report is of course the departure of former head coach Graham Ford to return to the Sri Lanka set-up as head coach with Michael Di Venuto, the long time Durham batsmen and more recently Australia batting coach, coming in as his replacement.

Director of Cricket: Alec Stewart
Head coach: Michael Di Venuto

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 16 Sep 2016, 10:46 am

What's happened to Dunn? He was the 'Curran' of a couple of years ago.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:20 am

Batting averages across the team are remarkably consistent in the "fair" category. Foakes and Sam Curran clearly did rather better than par. Roy would have been the standout under performer but he remedied that to a considerable extent in the last match.  Ansari a bit disappointing at 27 but his season was very disjointed. Good to see Harinath managing an average of 35, and Sibley was not too bad on 34.

A number of the bowling averages across the team are good/fairly good.  Certainly a far cry from time when we routinely struggled to bowl out most Div 2 teams.  I agree that Tom Curran's figures are a bit of a concern, although it's worth pointing out that he's had a solid, if unspectacular, return of wickets in the 50 over competition.

Maybe tempting fate for tomorrow - but in the 50 over cup Dernbach actually has one of the best economy rates this season - certainly among those who've played a good number of matches.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:25 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:What's happened to Dunn? He was the 'Curran' of a couple of years ago.

Dunn's had a succession of injuries this season - I don't think anything that serious in itself but one after the other and sometimes two at the same time - plus one of the few times he got a game, he came up against the Root & Bairstow combo!

Think he's under contract until the end of the 2018 season so time for him to still come good. He is though a fair way down the pecking order now - might be good for him to go on loan to a Div Two county for some of next season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:29 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:What's happened to Dunn? He was the 'Curran' of a couple of years ago.

Dunn has been injured pretty much the whole season. Guildford sometimes has tips from inside the stable when it comes to the Dunn household, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn move on, given the fast bowling resources available to the club. I don't know that many Surrey people pinned their hopes on Dunn to rescue Surrey's then insipid fast bowling attack - in that he was often expensive but less often than, say, Meaker did he come good.  For some while as a No 11 batsman in a rather weak tail he was threatening to break records for the number of successive not outs by a batsman at the start of their first class career!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:41 am

Just to add to the Corporal's post - which I'm sure crossed with my first one. The Corp is probably right about Dunn moving on although he may well need to prove his fitness first.

As the Corp mentions it, I know the family slightly and have met young Matt once. Very pleasant and cheery lad. He's due to play club cricket in Australia this winter in an effort to regain form and match fitness.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

Would imagine the club will stick by him like they did Meaker - but ultimately if he can't get fit and firing he won't play. I'd say he's behind Dernbach and Rampaul in the reserves list as things stand
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 19 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm

Gary Wilson leaves surrey for Derbyshire after 11 years at the club  Sad Sad
fight back the tears Olly  Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 19 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm

Wilson's been a loyal player and member of the Surrey squad over a long period.  He has had several very lean seasons and/or prolonged poor patches during a season; however, it's fair to recognise that he has also had several other seasons where has scored consistently. A record of three first class centuries by age 30 is not exactly stellar, but he has scored 23 first class half centuries and has a first class average of 36, which is perfectly respectable.  He's also been a very competent wicket keeper.

I think it's a sensible and timely move for Wilson. By giving Pope a contract and selecting him for a recent match Surrey seem to have signalled that he is now the back up to Foakes.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 23 Sep 2016, 6:09 pm

It's no secret that I've not been the greatest fan of Gary Wilson the past few seasons but all true Surrey fans would wish him well after 11 years of loyal service at The Oval. I certainly do. He is a great addition to a former Surrey XI of players still playing (or in M Carberry's case, signed to) other counties.

M Carberry (all good wishes for current health battles, btw)
S Davies
L Evans
G Wilson, wkt
R Clarke
C Jordan
T Murtagh

That's not a bad nucleus of a side, is it? I'm sure others can add to it names that for the moment escape my memory to round off a full 11.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

Kumar Sangakkara is back next year! Fabulous news

Will try to dig a little deeper but would expect he'll miss some time due to the CPL - otherwise should be about. Wouldn't be surprised to see finch brought back again too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Oct 2016, 7:16 am

Contract news

Batty and the Baron have signed deals through to 2018

Foakes, Burns and the youngest curran have all signed new three year deals too

Fabulous work
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:01 am

Good news, indeed Olly. Pleased to see Harinath getting a further contract. A real team player - accepts that he's likely to be in and out the team, but continues to give everything for the cause. And for someone in that position his batting record is pretty good.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:53 pm

OK - stretching a point to include this in "summer 2016" but good to see Surrey players doing well for the Lions - including Tom Curran taken a hatful of wickets and scoring runs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:57 am

Yep Curran snr/CurranT/Pitt the younger/Tom did fantastically in that second Lions one dayer.

First he hit himself 40 runs whilst under pressure to get something to bowl at. Then defending 190 he led a weaker attack (shorn of Roland-Jones, Sam Curran, Meaker and Rayner) fantastically by taking 8-2-16-5. Terrific from the young lad and much deserved after a tougher summer for him in which he bowled well without often getting returns.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 05 Dec 2016, 3:16 am

Looking to next season, how are we expecting our sides to line-up for the start of the summer.

1.Stoneman
2.Burns
3.Sangakarra
4.Borthwick
5.Roy
6.Foakes (wk)
7.Ansari
8.S Curran
9.T Curran
10.Norah (c)
11.Footit

At full strength I'd guess that we'll be looking at that in CC. I'm happy with it as well all things considered. With Sibley and the Baron challenging the top order batting. Meaker, Rampaul and hopefully Dunn challenging the seamers.

One interesting thing will be where Borthwick bats in the line-up and whether he will look to bowl more. I certainly hope the coaches plan to use his leggies more than he has in recent seasons where he did little more than turn his arm over occasionally. His bowling stalled after being rushed into the England side but he has talent to work with if he sticks with it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:00 am

Surely there's no way we go with three seamers and three spinners at the start of the summer Carlos?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 05 Dec 2016, 5:47 pm

Olly - I'm guessing it will depend how much Borthwick is going to be bowling.

I've mooted in previous seasons that Batty may be left out for the early summer games and he usually gets the nod as skipper. Given our lack of other options as skipper* and the good job Norah has done it's understandable as well.

Although if Burns is going to get a shot as CC captain then a time when Sangakarra is available for some guidance would be preferable.

Early season I'd very happily have Meaker there for his extra pace or Ravioli for his swing. I could see it going either way though.

It's going to be a very important start to the summer. First up are back to back home CC games against Warks and Lancs. Given Surrey, Warks and Lancs finished 5, 6 and 7th with little between them they should be closely contested games.

*guildford especially has repeatedly done a good job of calling out this prediction as very unlikely and has so far been correct come April.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 05 Dec 2016, 6:33 pm

Hi Carlos and all - I wouldn't suggest anyone put money on this but Stoneman just might be an option as skipper for 2017.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 05 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

I just think it was a mistake playing Batty early summer last year that surely they won't repeat. Harsh on him, but the I wouldn't be happy if that was the XI for the first CC game in April/May
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 05 Dec 2016, 7:12 pm

Hi guildford - He's captained Durham on a few occasions and knows MDV very well. That could be a very interesting option. Especially in one day cricket.

1.Roy
2.Stoneman (c)
3.Sangakarra
4.Burns
5.Foakes (wk)
6.Borthwick
7.Ansari
8.S Curran
9.T Curran
10.Meaker
11.Dernbach

That would be a strong 50 over line-up. Bats deep, plenty of bowling options, could change out a seamer for Norah if wanted. The batting order could be jigged depending on situation as well given that both Currans can hit a long ball.

I'm still hoping that some extra fire power is brought into the batting for t20s. Aaron Finch would be an excellent addition if he were to return.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 05 Dec 2016, 7:31 pm

king_carlos wrote:Hi guildford - He's captained Durham on a few occasions and knows MDV very well. That could be a very interesting option. Especially in one day cricket.

1.Roy
2.Stoneman (c)
3.Sangakarra
4.Burns
5.Foakes (wk)
6.Borthwick
7.Ansari
8.S Curran
9.T Curran
10.Meaker
11.Dernbach

That would be a strong 50 over line-up. Bats deep, plenty of bowling options, could change out a seamer for Norah if wanted. The batting order could be jigged depending on situation as well given that both Currans can hit a long ball.

I'm still hoping that some extra fire power is brought into the batting for t20s. Aaron Finch would be an excellent addition if he were to return.

50 over cricket definitely our squad's strongest suit imo - the all rounders really make that obvious.

The T20 side however I think really lacks some low order oomph. All too often we get off to hot starts, then get bogged down in singles/twos in the middle overs. I'd like to see Ollie Pope given a run in the T20 side at 6/7, coming in and given license to go all guns blazing

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 05 Dec 2016, 8:07 pm

Sam and Tom Curran may well be given that license, Olly.

Tom opened when things were desperate last year and he can hit a long ball. Sam can really strike them too. I reckon those two will be jigged up and down the order depending on the situation.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 23 Dec 2016, 4:48 am

Aaron Finch has been added for the T20 blast and will also replace Sanga as overseas player whilst the great man's getting a deserved pension top up in the CPL. The same set-up as last season with the two of them in other words.

I had (and still have) reservations about Finch's ability in first class cricket when he signed for Surrey last summer and he proved me wrong, hopefully he can do so again. More importantly he is a very dangerous one day batsman and an excellent opening partner for Le Roi in T20 cricket.

1.Finch
2.Le Roi
3.Stoneman
4.Burns/Sangakarra
5.Foakes (wk)
6.Ansari
7.Borthwick
8.S Curran
9.T Curran
10.Meaker
11.Dernbach

Plenty of bowling options but looking at that I think Olly was right above about it lacking lower firepower unless the Curran brothers are going to bat up the order.

Azhar Mahmood and Chris Morris missing from last seasons T20 squad cuts down options as well. A replacement T20 all rounder would be good to see.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

Received today my Surrey membership pack for the coming season. Even allowing for all the blurb being first drafted a little while ago and polished off by marketing men, the indications there are that Batty will be captaining again this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Feb 2017, 9:29 am

Just read a good explanation from Richard Spiller in today's Surrey Ad of the ''what ifs'' concerning Jason Roy's availability for the first half of the season.

The IPL Auction is being held on Monday. If Roy gets signed, that'll most likely mean he won't be available for Surrey in April and May.

I had thought Roy being signed was almost certain. However, what may make him less attractive to bidders will be if England require him back for their two-match ODI series against Ireland in early May. The ECB is thought likely to allow some players to stay in India longer to complete the IPL season but have yet to announce any decision concerning Roy.

Spills quotes Alec Stewart: ''We've not had any official confirmation from the ECB whether he's coming back for the Ireland games - if he is, that would mean he could only stay in India for three-and-a-half weeks. So it would be down to the teams there to decide whether to have him for that long or choose elsewhere. Jason is a centrally-contracted player now, so the decision is in their hands. Obviously, we'd like to have him as much as possible.''

Subject to any IPL signing as above and as per Spills: ''With the ICC Champions Trophy occupying most of June, Surrey may see little of Roy until July.''

In other news, Surrey will once more use a marquee on the Oval outfield as part of their pre-season preparation. I like that. Best way of getting ready to play in horrible, cold English conditions is not some one week jolly to the sun but playing in horrible, cold English conditions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 Feb 2017, 3:34 pm

Cheers Guildford looking foward to the season starting Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Feb 2017, 5:43 pm

Thanks, JimBob. Given Wednesday night's result, I'm not surprised you want a change from football! Wink

Just over a month to go now ....

PS Heard a rumour we're giving a trial to batsman and occasional keeper Alex Barrow who was released by Somerset at the end of last season. However, not sure if that's just an internet wind up. Barrow was the dopey batsman who was run out by Surrey's Murali Kartik in controversial circumstances a few years ago when backing up too far.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 20 Feb 2017, 10:59 am

I really need Olly to help me with this but here goes with the latest on Jason Roy.

He (Roy, not Olly) has been signed for the IPL by Gujarat Lions. I'm sure Olly can give you full details concerning the history and current form of that team.

That appears to rule out Roy being available at all to Surrey during April when 3 Championship matches are played.

What happens after that is unclear, to me at least.

IF (still apparently unknown) Roy is selected for England's ODI squad for the two games against Ireland in early May, it would seem he'll be back at the start of that month. However, he's unlikely to be with Surrey then as he'll be with the England ODI squad much of the time.

What I don't know (Olly will) is when the IPL tournament ends and whether Roy might have to return to it if he's already come back here for the Ireland games.

Whatever the final outcome, we're not going to have Roy (much) available until July at best with Roy certain to be involved in the ICC Champions Trophy throughout June. The positive take is that this creates opportunities (Sibley, Harinath, even Pope) but the reality remains we're without one of our best players for a lot of 2017.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Feb 2017, 3:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I really need Olly to help me with this but here goes with the latest on Jason Roy.

He (Roy, not Olly) has been signed for the IPL by Gujarat Lions. I'm sure Olly can give you full details concerning the history and current form of that team.

That appears to rule out Roy being available at all to Surrey during April when 3 Championship matches are played.

What happens after that is unclear, to me at least.

IF (still apparently unknown) Roy is selected for England's ODI squad for the two games against Ireland in early May, it would seem he'll be back at the start of that month. However, he's unlikely to be with Surrey then as he'll be with the England ODI squad much of the time.

What I don't know (Olly will) is when the IPL tournament ends and whether Roy might have to return to it if he's already come back here for the Ireland games.

Whatever the final outcome, we're not going to have Roy (much) available until July at best with Roy certain to be involved in the ICC Champions Trophy throughout June. The positive take is that this creates opportunities (Sibley, Harinath, even Pope) but the reality remains we're without one of our best players for a lot of 2017.

The IPL finishes may 21st, last group game for Roy's team is may 13th. Last England-Ireland odi is may 7th. So I would imagine Roy going back depends on whether his team qualifies for the knockout or not. If they're out of it, he might develop a slight niggle keeping him in England.........

But yes even when he is around, he isn't going to be able to play much before the end of the champions trophy. Unfortunately one of those things when you have good players!

At least this year we have made signings to help with batting depth - Stoneman and Borthwick should help massively in Roy's absence.

I'd predict our starting XI looks like this

Burns
Stoneman
Sanga
Borthwick
Sibley
Foakes
Ansari
Curran Sam
Curran Tom
Meaker
Footitt
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Feb 2017, 3:40 pm

Roy will form probably the most explosive top three in world cricket at the lions....alongside Aaron finch and brendon mccullum!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:40 pm

Olly - thanks for your reply.

I would be pretty comfortable with your starting XI (perhaps Harinath in place of Sibley depending on pre-season form). However, I think it's unlikely that Batty will be left out even though we would both do it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:50 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - thanks for your reply.

I would be pretty comfortable with your starting XI (perhaps Harinath in place of Sibley depending on pre-season form). However, I think it's unlikely that Batty will be left out even though we would both do it.

Yeah Baron/Sibley is very dependant on pre-season - I suppose even young Pope can put himself in the running with some good pre-season form.

I have no problem with Batty playing - so long as he plays himself as the #1 spinner and does a lot of bowling. We cannot afford to have him along as a specialist 8/9 batsman and captain as said many times early last season. It's fine when you can go 3 seamers, 2 spinners last in the summer but early in the season you need 4 seamers, and unless Batty has had a sudden change of plan from last year, we can't do what we did last year, again this. Can't be getting to July needing to win the majority of our championship games to stay up again
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 20 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

Whether Borthwick is wanting to bowl more with his move of counties might have a say with the balance of bowlers too. If needing more overs was behind his move then the Oval was an odd choice of destination. Although few grounds on the county circuit regularly produce spinning wickets.

Zaf and Borthwick should both be in the top 7 for their batting. Whether Norah also makes the side will say a lot about what MDV and Stewie think of their two spinning bowling all rounders as bowlers in the CC.

Burns was vice-captain last season, if he were to stand in for Norah then doing so at a point when Sangakarra is around would be ideal. He will need a hand on his shoulder that's for sure.

Stoneman is another option as skipper. I reckon that guildfords suggestion of him as one day skipper could be spot on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 20 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

Hi Carlos - if I get a chance at a members' forum or similar, I plan to ask Alec Stewart how much Borthwick's bowling is in Surrey's plans for this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:43 pm

Hi guildford - That would be great thanks.

It feels like we are talking about a different player these days to the Borthwick who played a test as a leg spinner.

His batting has come on excellently but realistically it's done so to the point where most view him just as a batsman now. His bowling at Chester-le-Street had been reduced to turning his arm over when things weren't working.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Feb 2017, 9:43 pm

My latest understanding is that Roy is to be recalled by England for the two ODIs against Ireland in May. Whether he then goes back to play for Gujarat Lions in the IPL will remain to be seen as per Olly's post yesterday.

However, Stokes and Woakes have both been allowed to stay with their IPL teams giving rise to speculation that at least one of the Curran brothers may get an England call up for the Ireland games. Sam apparently favourite.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:My latest understanding is that Roy is to be recalled by England for the two ODIs against Ireland in May. Whether he then goes back to play for Gujarat Lions in the IPL will remain to be seen as per Olly's post yesterday.

However, Stokes and Woakes have both been allowed to stay with their IPL teams giving rise to speculation that at least one of the Curran brothers may get an England call up for the Ireland games. Sam apparently favourite.

Seemingly they want to have a look at Sam up close - and with Stokes/Woakes being all-rounders, he is the most "like for like" of the two brothers. A shame for Surrey, but possibly a great opportunity for Sam

Again one of the things that happens when you have a good players!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

BREAKING NEWS

KP signs for Surrey for the t20 blast
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Mar 2017, 12:29 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:BREAKING NEWS

KP signs for Surrey for the t20 blast

You beat me to it!

I'm normally not keen on attending t20 games at the Oval. Appears to be a requirement for spectators to simultaneously hold 2 pints of lager whilst standing up in the middle of an over and talking loudly into a mobile phone! Rolling Eyes

However, I think a couple of Surrey t20 games are on a Sunday afternoon this season. Could be a bit more civilised. That and Pietersen's signing might encourage me along.

Whatever the opinions are on his character, he's a top, top batsman when in full flow and once he gets on the pitch gives everything for Surrey. At least he always has done when I've seen him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

For the final two blast games and potentially knockout games we should have Roy, Finch, Sanga and KP available

My word
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Mar 2017, 10:36 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:For the final two blast games and potentially knockout games we should have Roy, Finch, Sanga and KP available

My word

I guess the Baron can head off to a holiday in the sun for a week or two whilst the Blast is on! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 07 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm

Just popping in from the arsenal debacle to say does anyone know where mark church has gone?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 Mar 2017, 2:40 pm

Hi JimBob - if I had timed this better I would have replied at 2-10. Larf, I bet you never started! Wink

I don't know about Churchy, good point. He does seem to have gone to ground. I would guess we'll hear from him or find something out in the next couple of weeks - first pre-season friendly starts at Hove on Wednesday 22nd.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Mar 2017, 2:43 pm

Church still runs the Twitter does he not? That's been fairly active recently
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Church still runs the Twitter does he not? That's been fairly active recently

Yes, Twitter has been fairly active recently but we normally see Churchy's ugly mush and hear him ''probing'' away on Surrey tv at the same time. May be nothing in it but JimBob does need to take his mind off the football.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Mar 2017, 3:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Church still runs the Twitter does he not? That's been fairly active recently

Yes, Twitter has been fairly active recently but we normally see Churchy's ugly mush and hear him ''probing'' away on Surrey tv at the same time. May be nothing in it but JimBob does need to take his mind off the football.

He's not the only one desperate for the football season to be over....after going to Hillsborough this past weekend I can assure you I'm looking forward to Saturday's out on the cricket field asap!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 08 Mar 2017, 5:33 pm

Cheers chaps noticed when Stewart was talking about kp on surrey tv yesterday there was no sign of church and the twitter account definitely feels like someone else is running it now.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:32 pm

On the twitter account there's a brief clip of Ansari bowling today under the big top on the Oval outfield. That's encouraging. Hadn't heard anything of him since his time in India where his back was not good at all.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:34 pm

Hi fellow Surrey supporters.  Sorry to have been a bit scarce in recent times. But come the scent of newly mown grass I'll be there for you! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Greetings, Corporal. Was getting concerned you were trapped behind enemy lines.

Anyway, now you're back, have a look on the twitter account at Zaf bowling. Front foot no ball? Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next