The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

+37
sensisball
demosthenes
LondonTiger
TJ
Artful_Dodger
nickj
yappysnap
lostinwales
des
Nematode
reallybored
bsando
Prothero
HongKongCherry
Hazel Sapling
RossAnderson
BigGee
Senlac
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
jimbopip
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Tattie Scones RRN
EST
Eejit
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
cakeordeath
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):

Guinness Pro12

Edinburgh - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

Europe

Champions Cup - Glasgow Warriors   (click to show/hide):

Challenge Cup - Edinburgh   (click to show/hide):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

The season has commenced

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 1347041234

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:23 am; edited 40 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links to YouTube playlists of Pro12 highlights)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by RossAnderson Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:33 am

Surprised they have rescinded both (although I agree with the decision). Got to be pretty embarrassing for both ref and Tmo given how long and many angles they got to see.

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 16 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by RDW Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Edinburgh Rugby today announced the signing of 21-year old tighthead prop Kyle Whyte until the end of the season.

Kyle Whyte

South-African born prop Whyte will become Edinburgh Rugby’s first partnership contract player in a deal with BT Premiership club Watsonians.

He played for Western Province at U19 and U21 level before breaking into the senior side where he featured in seven games last season, when the Cape Town side reached the Currie Cup semi-finals.

Whyte is also eligible to play for Scotland through his father, Steve, who was born and brought up in Inverness.

On signing with the capital club, Whyte said: “It’s a very exciting time and prospect for me.

“With my dad being born here, I’ve always been interested in coming over to Scotland, so I’m looking forward to getting started and proving myself.”

He added:

“The coaching staff and boys have been very welcoming, which has helped me fit straight into the team. I’ve really enjoyed my first couple of days training.

“If I’m not selected to play for Edinburgh at the weekend, it’s good to know I’ve got a club in Watsonians which will help me to get some good quality game time and improve as a player.

“To have the opportunity to train with the likes of WP [Nel] is very exciting. He’s someone in particular I’m keen to learn from and look to for hints and tips on the art of scrummaging.”

Edinburgh Rugby Acting Head Coach, Duncan Hodge, said: “We’re delighted to have another young, talented prop enter the fray to compete for a spot in the team.

“Since arriving last week, Kyle has fitted in well, trained hard, and has readily embraced the Edinburgh Rugby culture and ethos.

“It’s exciting to have a partnership contracted player at the club and we feel that Kyle will reap the benefits in terms of his development in spending time with Edinburgh Rugby and Watsonians.”

Keith Watters, President of Watsonians FC, added:

“We are delighted that Kyle has joined Watsonians and look forward to seeing him in action.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Team's up but in a video which is annoying.

To summarise, weak front row with weaker bench aside from McInally.

Ritchie at 7 with no real backup.

Mckenzie starts and Gilco's not on the bench.

Duncan Weir is on the bench to screw things up if we happen to find ourselves in front with 20 minutes to go.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:16 pm

We will not be winning this.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 pm

And here was me thinking we weren't going to bother anymore.

Or was that the problem last week?

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 pm

That was last week against Zebre. I'm glad we didn't!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Edinburgh Rugby Acting Head Coach, Duncan Hodge, said: “We’re delighted to have another young, talented prop enter the fray to compete for a spot in the team.

Do you think he really means this??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Well he's straight onto the bench, so in a few days since arriving at the club he's become our 2nd best tighthead available!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 am

Andy Robinson is getting the boot

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-11-03/bristol-suspend-director-of-rugby-robinson/

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:18 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Do they really have to refer to him in press releases as 'Acting' head coach?

Was he the Uncaveated Head Coach until the Zebre performance?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:33 am

Am I correct in thinking that both Edinburgh's sub props are tightheads?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 am

Arregui can cover loosehead apparently.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Arregui can cover loosehead apparently.

It reminds me of being asked by my MD whether I could "cover" intellectual property law for 6 months last year. Other than having no training in the subject, no experience and no particular inclination to accumulate either, I said "sure, no problem".

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:56 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Well, I suspect he'll be demoted to "Edinburgh Rugby Temporary Acting Head Coach" as of about 10pm on Friday evening.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:20 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Well, I suspect he'll be demoted to "Edinburgh Rugby Temporary Acting Head Coach" as of about 10pm on Friday evening.

Think Robbo could be making a return?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RossAnderson Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 am

Nick de Luca is starting for wasps this weekend. Scotland comeback on the cards? Laugh

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:27 pm

RossAnderson wrote:Nick de Luca is starting for wasps this weekend. Scotland comeback on the cards? Laugh

The good old Anglo - Welsh cup, show casing the B teams of both leagues.

We might see a few of the up and coming Scottish players, as well as the old lags, getting a run out for their clubs in this competition. Hastings, Davidson, Hutchinson amongst others and will hopefully get their chance to impress.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 pm

BigGee wrote:
RossAnderson wrote:Nick de Luca is starting for wasps this weekend. Scotland comeback on the cards? Laugh

The good old Anglo - Welsh cup, show casing the B teams of both leagues.

We might see a few of the up and coming Scottish players, as well as the old lags, getting a run out for their clubs in this competition. Hastings, Davidson, Hutchinson amongst others and will hopefully get their chance to impress.
Pretty sure I heard that Hastings is in the Bath squad, if not starting, this weekend.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Hastings is starting at 10 for Bath.

Tomas Leonardi is number 8 for Leicester...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:21 pm

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/jonny-gray-said-no-to-toulon-to-stay-at-glasgow-warriors-1-4277652

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hastings is starting at 10 for Bath.

Tomas Leonardi is number 8 for Leicester...!

That really is remarkable!

Fingers crossed that Hastings is all we hope he is.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:57 pm

I posted this in the 'Scottish player list' post in the International section yesterday, but Wasps's 10 for tonight's game, Connor Eastgate, seems to be a Scots exile. He and Josh Bassett are playing alongside De Luca.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 pm

nickj wrote:I posted this in the 'Scottish player list' post in the International section yesterday, but Wasps's 10 for tonight's game, Connor Eastgate, seems to be a Scots exile. He and Josh Bassett are playing alongside De Luca.

Well they'll know they've made it to the big time now - one to tell the grand kids about!!

I've watched the obligatory YouTube video on Josh Bassett and he looks powerful. Never heard of Eastgate.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:43 pm

Bassett looks postively Stanger esque

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:11 am

Would Andy Robinson be a possible replacement for Solomons? I was surprised to see him be sacked at Bristol but results had been continuously poor. It is my understanding that Bristol have been dealing with several injuries however.

I think he would be a good stable addition to the coaching team. I'm sure he would relish the chance to work with some of Edinburghs forwards and perhaps himself and hodge would make a good team?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:31 am

Stevie Scott has done a fantastic job with Edinburgh over the last few years - our pack has generally been very good even when results haven't been going well.

We had our most successful spell with him in charge (finishing 2nd in the league) but I just hope we could aim higher - especially given the caliber of coach Glasgow have managed to obtain.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Stevie Scott has done a fantastic job with Edinburgh over the last few years - our pack has generally been very good even when results haven't been going well.

We had our most successful spell with him in charge (finishing 2nd in the league) but I just hope we could aim higher - especially given the caliber of coach Glasgow have managed to obtain.

He has, although the lineout should be a black mark.

I'd wish both Hodge and Scott well as candidates, but as you say I'd like to think we could do better in terms of a more proven coach.

A coach I have always rated highly, particularly for backline innovation, is Steve Meehan. He is currently an assistant coach at Toulon. Meehan in charge of the backs (with support from Hodge), Robinson in charge of the forwards (with support from Scott), and myself as Director of Rugby and in charge of picking the team. That's what I call a dream ticket.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:42 pm

That could happen if you have a few million to give to the SRU, FES. Have to cut back on the caviar for a few weeks

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Am already living under the tyranny of austerity in fES towers. Mrs fES has taken full control of the weekly internet shop. Dark times.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Stevie Scott has done a fantastic job with Edinburgh over the last few years - our pack has generally been very good even when results haven't been going well.

I'd wish both Hodge and Scott well as candidates, but as you say I'd like to think we could do better in terms of a more proven coach.

A coach I have always rated highly, particularly for backline innovation, is Steve Meehan. He is currently an assistant coach at Toulon. Meehan in charge of the backs (with support from Hodge), Robinson in charge of the forwards (with support from Scott), and myself as Director of Rugby and in charge of picking the team. That's what I call a dream ticket.

Up until this season our lineout has generally been outstanding - I think 2 seasons ago we had the best lineout stats in the league.  This was particularly the case when Bresler and Toolis were running the show. He has also overseen our scrum becoming once of the most dominant in the league (apart from this season...)

Unfortunately for Gilchrist the lineout has started malfunctioning when he came back from injury...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Up until this season our lineout has generally been outstanding - I think 2 seasons ago we had the best lineout stats in the league.  This was particularly the case when Bresler and Toolis were running the show. He has also overseen our scrum becoming once of the most dominant in the league (apart from this season...)

Unfortunately for Gilchrist the lineout has started malfunctioning when he came back from injury...

And started functioning again last week when he was absent.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:59 am

des wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

And started functioning again last week when he was absent.

So we're saying that despite his leadership credentials, Gilchrist can't run a lineout?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:21 am

Niko Matawalu has signed for Exeter until the end of the season - sounds like he's been injured lately but think it is fair to say his move to Bath hasn't been a success.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Niko Matawalu has signed for Exeter until the end of the season - sounds like he's been injured lately but think it is fair to say his move to Bath hasn't been a success.
Completely wasted by a Bath coaching staff who had absolutely no idea how to use him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:28 am

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Niko Matawalu has signed for Exeter until the end of the season - sounds like he's been injured lately but think it is fair to say his move to Bath hasn't been a success.
Completely wasted by a Bath coaching staff who had absolutely no idea how to use him.

Indeed. I remember a conversation with a Bath fan on here about NIko -what Bath needed was a starting SH - Niko is not the man. NIko you play against teams where you are looking for a bonus point or bring him on to change the way a game is going. A fantastic player but he is not and never will be the main starting SH for a premiership team. I thought it daft for both parties at the time

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:34 am

I've written about Matty Russell before but this was an incredible finish against England, it looks like he does have some downward pressure on the ball. Just signed a new contract with Warrington but the SRU would do worse than making an approach for him, a real talent; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85pw-9l4-bU

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:59 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:I've written about Matty Russell before but this was an incredible finish against England, it looks like he does have some downward pressure on the ball. Just signed a new contract with Warrington but the SRU would do worse than making an approach for him, a real talent; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85pw-9l4-bU

Sure he's good, but could he realistically displace Lee Jones?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:08 pm

How many failed rugby league converts is too many?

I'm not convinced it is worth the time, effort and investment that is required for the statistically slim chances of unearthing a real gem personally. Plus, wouldn't it be better for the Scotland league team for him to stay where he is and help them develop?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Neither Glasgow or Edinburgh are overly desperate for Scottish wingers either.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Nathan Hines has been confirmed as following Vern Cotter to Montpelier next season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:37 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:I've written about Matty Russell before but this was an incredible finish against England, it looks like he does have some downward pressure on the ball. Just signed a new contract with Warrington but the SRU would do worse than making an approach for him, a real talent; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85pw-9l4-bU

I don't think Matty Russell has had a good a season this year as he has previously, despite Warrington doing well. Lewis Tierney (Jason Robinson's lad) on the other hand has been impressive. Doubt either are thinking about Union though.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:56 am

Great result for the Scotland Rugby League team against NZ, if anyone's interested Very Happy

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Harlequins & Exeter are apparently interested in signing Hamish Watson when his contract is up in May. According to the Times.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:19 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Harlequins & Exeter are apparently interested in signing Hamish Watson when his contract is up in May. According to the Times.
Quins makes sense. They don't have an openside. They only have Chris Robshaw. Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:46 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Agreed. Matawalu is a poor scrum half unless you give him free reign to unleash his box of tricks and coach the team to expect the unexpected. If you expect him to play within a tight structured game then all you have is a scrum half with a poor box kick and frankly average distribution skills. He's almost the exact opposite of Peter Stringer!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Both clubs would be a good fit for Watson, although I'd be sad to see him go. Would be a disaster if we lost both Watson and Hardie!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Both clubs would be a good fit for Watson, although I'd be sad to see him go.  Would be a disaster if we lost both  Watson and Hardie!

It would, although I was impressed with James Ritchie in the 7 jersey against Ulster.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:55 pm

I was shocked by that result MF. I could not find the channel for it (was it on sky or bbc?)

Watson or Hardie ought to be retained. Preferably Watson. Hardie more likely to have a choice of teams.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Both clubs would be a good fit for Watson, although I'd be sad to see him go.  Would be a disaster if we lost both  Watson and Hardie!

It would, but if the SRU are talking about the cost of running the pro teams increasing each year, our hands may be tied. Watson is an international player now and his contract demands would I suspect reflect that. Same with Hardie.

If we can offload two (in theory) expensive players to bring the like of Ritchie in, plus CDP can play at 7, then whilst weaker, we are still covered.

Don't get me wrong I would rather keep one or both of them, but it might not be possible for either.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next