The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+23
Plunky
mystiroakey
MontysMerkin
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
MustPuttBetter
Be_the_ball
GunsGerms
I'm never wrong
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
SmithersJones
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
westisbest
raycastleunited
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
JAS
pedro
Davie
navyblueshorts
27 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Actually Davie, they didn't fit yours (apologies; 'idiocy' is a bit strong). Your earlier comments were all about how he'd actually done something terrible/illegal i.e. told them how to get around 3rd party ownership (he didn't) with the possible implication that he'd been knowingly involved in it (no evidence of this), took £400k for dodgy seminars (he didn't and he said he'd have to clear it with the FA) etc. You wanted him to be a crook from the off.
You also claimed Ben and I said he was 'innocent' - we said no such thing.

You never took S_R's approach re. his position being untenable because he was England manager, the one thing he probably falls foul of. His comments re. Hodgson/Nevile were unfortunate, but this was a private conversation and, actually, big deal. Seriously, the next poor schmuck who takes this on should treat the media as they deserve.

There may well be more to this - we'll see. Until then, the only thing he's 'guilty' of is putting himself in a stupid position cf. the FA's comments re. FIFA etc and forcing the FA to ask him to fall on his sword. S_R's right with this; the FA had little choice really.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:46 am

Many of those belends must work in the executive offices at Old Trafford.
What exactly have they got to show for the money spent in their LVG and Mourinho years?
What a shambles as the mighty are fallen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am

An FA Cup and a charity shield.

At a net cost of something like £200m each.

Still, I'd take that as a QPR fan...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:07 am

Isn't Jesus the Western transcription of his name, which was actually closer to Joshua? In any case you're right that it's a traditional Jewish name - I'm sure I've written on previous threads about how different the actual historical figure Joshua (or Jesus) is to the religious (Christian) version. Of course, Jesus (the western version of the name) has since become a Christian name (i.e. one given to children by Christian parents) particularly in Spain or Latin American countries/cultures.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 am

Booker winner seems to be a golfer.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 _92086432_paulbeatty-afp
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Or it's an extremely misguided statement of sartorial elegance

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Looks like he's been through the rails in TKMaxx. Ping? Who wears that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Lee Westwood?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:08 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Lee Westwood?

He's even worse, I think he wears Dunlop

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 pm

He wears Dunlop!!! What a saddo.

Really, is it back to school time, where we used to laugh at someone for what they wore?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:37 pm

It is a typical super realist comment Whistle

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

If you were a pro, I'm sure neither of you would wear Dunlop

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 pm

If I was a pro I would wear what I thought looked nice.
If it happens to be Dunlop, than so be it, no big deal.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 pm

westisbest wrote:It is a typical super realist comment Whistle

and, there is nothing wrong with that statement. Christ, we're all allowed opinions aren't we?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:07 am

What the flying fack does it matter what someone wears. If I was a pro, i would wear whatever offered me the most money to wear their clothes. Lee Westwood signed a further deal with Dunlop in July to continue wearing their clothes he has no issues with it, and if anyone does, then its a bit strange.

There is nothing wrong with laughing at people for what they wear, its just a bit childish, but thats just my opinion.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:28 am

It's just an observation. It's a bit like being a multi millionaire and driving a Lada.
Why would you?

Obviously Westwood is being paid to wear their ghastly threads despite being mega rich, but if I were in his shoes, I'd wear what I wanted and not what some awful company low rent company paid me to wear.  

I associate Dunlop with Sports Direct and Mike Ashley (I'm aware Dunlop is part of Srixon), not something I consider a good thing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:39 am

I always wear whatevers on sale - TK Maxx and the latest direct golf sales have updated my 15 year old wardrobe. Who cares what you look like when whacking round a field?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:42 am

Whether someone wears a dunlop top or a ridiculously overpriced big name golf brand top. It has absolutely no difference to how they play golf, anyone that thinks it does are wrong.

I dont think many people like Mike Ashley or Sports Direct but he is a successful business man, and I would assume a lot of people on this board have brought from his shops.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:50 am

Of course no one cares, but it's not very nice gear, and if you have the choice, why wear stuff which looks awful? Of course it's subjective, but if Westwood wasn't being paid, there isn't a chance he'd wear Dunlop gear.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:54 am

Now I may not be the epitome of sartorial elegance but I honestly do not see how any of these look awful

http://store.dunlopsport.com/golf/golf-clothing/golf-clothing-tops#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=recent&Filter=ASUB%5EGolf+Polos

in fact some of these look worse!

http://www.galvingreen.com/mens-collection/products

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 am

I think it must be the logo...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:28 am

Ben I am with super, Dunlop is the pits.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 am

If they have waterproof tops/trousers that dont keep the rain out, fine. But a T shirt is just a T shirt. They are Ok, but arent all golf type tops ok?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:57 am

Dunlop is the sartorial equivalent of a grey tracky.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:26 am

If Dunlop offered to pay me what they pay Westwood I'd have their name tattooed across my arse

I never thought of super as being a golfing Gok Wan but perhaps he is

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:51 am

beninho wrote:Whether someone wears a dunlop top or a ridiculously overpriced big name golf brand top. It has absolutely no difference to how they play golf, anyone that thinks it does are wrong.

You've kind of missed the point with this sentence. Nobody, not even Super, stated this.

But as you are going to go there... actually the quality of the garment you wear does make a difference to how you play golf. You don't notice a well designed and well fitted top - it has no impact on your swing. However a poorly designed top gets in the way and inhibits your swing.

Generally, although not always, more expensive tops are better made.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:56 am

MontysMerkin wrote:I always wear whatevers on sale - TK Maxx and the latest direct golf sales have updated my 15 year old wardrobe. Who cares what you look like when whacking round a field?

If you are discerning / lucky you can find some great clothes in TK Maxx.

I don't care what you look like when whacking round a field.

I do care what I look like. Always, whether in a field or not. Not obsessively, but I imagine for most people the style you adopt on the golf course is representative of your style off it too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:01 pm

You hack your way through life as well? I certainly portray an unfortunate hacker on the course, and wearing the latest Galvins wouldn't hide the fact.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:You hack your way through life as well? I certainly portray an unfortunate hacker on the course, and wearing the latest Galvins wouldn't hide the fact.

Actually, that's a fair point. I was at the range the other day, and this guy had a set of those PXG Irons, M1 Driver, Scotty Cameron putter. I thought, perhaps this guy is good, I'll have a little watch and see how he hits it.

Complete and utter chopper. Could barely hit the ball, but obviously had more money than sense. Who would spend that much on a set of irons when they are completely rubbish?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:42 pm

He could just like them and has the money spare.....?
People buy Ferrari's even though they're not Formula 1 drivers
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm

[quote="super_realist"]
MontysMerkin wrote:Who would spend that much on a set of irons when they are completely rubbish?

Do you mean the irons or the player?

You will look like a prat but if you can cope with that then why not buy some better clubs if you are crap but have the money?

If you mean the irons, where have you read or heard that PXG irons aren't any good? I don't know anyone who has hit them and haven't seen them in the flesh.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:50 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:He could just like them and has the money spare.....?

They don't buy F1 cars though do they?

Yes he could just like them, but if you are so pathetic at golf, your money would be better spent on a set of irons that are much more forgiving at aimed at the beginner player instead of an iron built for good players.

I wouldn't buy a tennis racket strung for an ATP player or a set of ski's meant for Herman Muller. It's no wonder the average handicap of a golfer is a terrible 16. It seems common sense is in short supply among golfers.

Surely if you play something, you want the best tools for the job? Not just buy whatever is most expensive and doesn't suit you at all?

All the gear, no idea.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Who would spend that much on a set of irons when they are completely rubbish?

Do you mean the irons or the player?

You will look like a prat but if you can cope with that then why not buy some better clubs if you are crap but have the money?

If you mean the irons, where have you read or heard that PXG irons aren't any good?  I don't know anyone who has hit them and haven't seen them in the flesh.
Oi watch your quote quoting unquote.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 pm

super_realist wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:He could just like them and has the money spare.....?

They don't buy F1 cars though do they?

Yes he could just like them, but if you are so pathetic at golf, your money would be better spent on a set of irons that are much more forgiving at aimed at the beginner player instead of an iron built for good players.

I wouldn't buy a tennis racket strung for an ATP player or a set of ski's meant for Herman Muller. It's no wonder the average handicap of a golfer is a terrible 16. It seems common sense is in short supply among golfers.

Surely if you play something, you want the best tools for the job? Not just buy whatever is most expensive and doesn't suit you at all?

All the gear, no idea.

I really doubt the clubs your matey had are the same as those used by the sponsored pro's. doubt his 9 iron had Phil Mickelson's loft etc
But I agree, his money is probably actually better spent on lessons but maybe he really really liked them. Maybe he hits them better than the cavity backed big soled equivalent and maybe he's having lessons too

I just don't really buy into the 'you should have these clubs for this level' thing. Surely you just use whatever you hit best / enjoy most
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:22 pm

No, I'm talking about PXG clubs. He had the set aimed at quality players, not the game improvement model, not the beginner club, the low handicap model.

It would be akin to him hitting a set of Miura blades with the sweetspot the size of a 5p piece.

Of course, he's perfectly entitled to use whatever he likes. My point is that he perfectly represents why most golfers are of a truly terrible standard, and buying equipment which is not designed for him or the way he plays is one of those reasons.

If these PXG were the clubs which he hit best, I would really love to have seen him hit something that were worse.

It would be a mistake for me to buy a club with an X Stiff Shaft, because it wouldn't suit my swing speed, there isn't a chance these top end irons would be suitable for a complete chopper like this guy was who couldn't find the sweetspot if it was the size of a football.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Fair enough
I don't know the PXG clubs well enough to know what they're like, and maybe you're right re this guy.
I use bladed irons, Wilson Staff FG62s and changed to them from cavity backed Wilson CI9s (no I don't have shares in Wilson Staff).
They've got the right shafts for me.
I changed to them when I was a 17 handicap. Between the change of clubs and a lesson I dropped to 10 within about 3 months.
The number of times I heard people say 'you shouldn't be using blades with your handicap....'. People who knew nothing about my golf swing or why, out of all the clubs I tried they were the best I hit by a distance, just knew my handicap. It's such lazy 'advice'
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 am

Well, that's very true, specifically in shafts for example.
However the notion that this guy couldn't get a better tool for the job of improving his golf than a set of PXG's is stretching things so far that you can only conclude that he'd rather have pricey gear than become better at the game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:42 am

average of 16 sounds a bit low tbh(my last was 17)
and if anyone sees me in a tk max ( or a pound shop )they have my full permission to shoot me

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:52 am

Rick Shiels did a very interesting comparison between the PXG, Titleist and Mizuno players irons;

SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:47 am

Rick Shiels is very good actually.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:41 am

Thing I took away from that was that given that they're all pretty much identical, why pay so much more for the PXGs?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be much between them, especially considering he can't possibly put the same swing on each of them.

Pretty much identical, and certainly no gain worth the extra outlay. Nice looking clubs though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Re. Dunlop clothing. Rather that than ridiculous bunce to be yet another ovine Galvin Green wearer. As far as Westwood goes a) we don't know if he's paid to wear it and b) we don't know if there's some specific reason (other than money) why he'd be supporting them - maybe an old school mate is CEO or something.

Re. PXG irons. Look nice, but seriously doubt there's any performance gain for any but the absolute best and even then, I'd like to see some Iron Byron data from hundreds, if not thousands, of balls hit. Not worth the money, but then if you're a pro, guess they don't cost you anything.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Of course he gets paid to wear it, you wouldn't sign a contract with them to get paid nothing.
Sure he's got an old school friend in Japan who he feels compelled to wear Dunlop gear.

Dunlop Golf is part of Srixon.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 pm

This Dunlop Sports thing is strange.

It seems its a British company, mainly owned by Sports Direct. Though in Japan the rights are owned by the parent company of Srixon. Old reports state that in 2005 Darren Clarke, Westwood and Howell had deals with Dunlop where they had no upfront payments but bonuses if they won a major during the 10 year deal, Clarke picked up over 2m from them when he won the Open. I did see that Westwood negotiated again in 2015 I would assume he left that clause well out of it, and got some cash!

Thinking Chubby and Mike Ashley are cut from the same stone.

I

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Interesting. It's amazing that Japan would be interested in a company with such an image problem.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:15 pm

One of my first tennis rackets was a Dunlop, the same as John McEnroe had. (my all time favorite player btw). At that time it was one of the most popular tennis brands. Fantastic gear. So whenever I see the logo on Westwood's boobie it reminds me of those days.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 pm

I see Dunlop the same way I see Wilson staff. Another company with an image problem.

Dunlop by all accounts have won more majors than any other Racquet company, but it's still down in the dumps in regards to market capital and influence these days, especially in golf.
I'm sure we all grew up playing Dunlop 65i and Maxfli, but it's a company which is still stuck back in that era in regards to golf. Can't think of the last decent product which was made by Dunlop, maybe some old maxfli irons

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:28 pm

They do an interesting range of golf balls at the moment that Sports Direct sell off at ridiculously cheap prices .. I think I saw 2 dozen for a tenner! Wasn't going to risk them even at those prices but I read the blurb on the box and they "claim" to be comparable to NXTs and some of the Srixon balls. Decided to try them and they're really not too bad! Definitely Pro V1 class but certainly similar to the cheaper Titleist balls

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Dunlop and Slazenger are part of the same company. I remember when Slazenger sponsored loads of tennis and cricketers. Dumlop being part of sports direct means its golf clubs are aimed at the lower end of the game, probably fine for people still taking it up or kid sets though.

Wislon Staff, does seem to have an image problem, though not really sure why. They seem to be a bit behind the main names, though have a decent list of pros playing them and winning on tour.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm sure Dunlop fit a certain type of golfer and that they are perfectly fine. In fact, they are probably good enough for most golfers given the average handicap of a golfer.
I'll never use them though, in the same way I wouldn't want a Vauxhall. Perhaps I'm a snob.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next