The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+23
Plunky
mystiroakey
MontysMerkin
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
MustPuttBetter
Be_the_ball
GunsGerms
I'm never wrong
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
SmithersJones
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
westisbest
raycastleunited
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
JAS
pedro
Davie
navyblueshorts
27 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Actually Davie, they didn't fit yours (apologies; 'idiocy' is a bit strong). Your earlier comments were all about how he'd actually done something terrible/illegal i.e. told them how to get around 3rd party ownership (he didn't) with the possible implication that he'd been knowingly involved in it (no evidence of this), took £400k for dodgy seminars (he didn't and he said he'd have to clear it with the FA) etc. You wanted him to be a crook from the off.
You also claimed Ben and I said he was 'innocent' - we said no such thing.

You never took S_R's approach re. his position being untenable because he was England manager, the one thing he probably falls foul of. His comments re. Hodgson/Nevile were unfortunate, but this was a private conversation and, actually, big deal. Seriously, the next poor schmuck who takes this on should treat the media as they deserve.

There may well be more to this - we'll see. Until then, the only thing he's 'guilty' of is putting himself in a stupid position cf. the FA's comments re. FIFA etc and forcing the FA to ask him to fall on his sword. S_R's right with this; the FA had little choice really.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:42 pm

Super

You are missing the crucial point here. Have you considered you are not capable of discerning whether or not something is racist? (what with being a white middle class male from an almost all white nation)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:43 pm

pedro wrote:Wow. Fascism dressed as inclusion.
That's a leap worthy of Willie Banks, well played sir.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:45 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Have you considered you are not capable of discerning whether or not something is racist?  (what with being a white middle class male from an almost all white nation)
Not so sure mac. Isn't being Scottish almost identical to being niggard??

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

You are missing the crucial point here.  Have you considered you are not capable of discerning whether or not something is racist?  (what with being a white middle class male from an almost all white nation)

Of course I'm able to determine what is racist or not, why wouldn't I be?. However, even if I wasn't, how would you be able to, as you are white, and come from the same country as me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

You are missing the crucial point here.  Have you considered you are not capable of discerning whether or not something is racist?  (what with being a white middle class male from an almost all white nation)
He's not missing it. He genuinely cannot understand what you are saying, it's a developmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction. Commonly known as Aspergers.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
pedro wrote:Wow. Fascism dressed as inclusion.
That's a leap worthy of Willie Banks, well played sir.
Mac is like reading George Orwell.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

Ha ha, so now your a psychologist? Brilliant Monty.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:51 pm

some people with aspergers have fantasy worlds, this could be the worlds most famous golf course?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:56 pm

wibble
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Feb 2017, 3:49 pm

Super

I am not sure I would be the best arbiter of what constitutes racism (although I try and be as vigilant as possible), but here I am defending the position that what Adler said could be construed as racist based on the arguments made by others better placed to judge. Instinctively I thought his comment was possibly racist, and should not have been made but you can find sources other than my comments here arguing it was racist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

I agree, it could be misconstrued as racism IF you are the sort of person who goes looking for racism at every turn you make and who'll try to construct it as being racist based on pretty tenuous links and being hard of comprehension or rationality.

If however you understand what context is, you shouldn't be making an error in thinking it's racism. As I said earlier it's like making a connection between the N word and niggardly, one is racist, the other is not. Something which is a homonym (better add I'm not trying to offend homosexuals with that word), doesn't make it mean what the other meanings are, and you shouldn't have to adjust your speech just because some idiots are incapable of interpreting what you say in the correct way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:16 pm

The thing is, and I've just read some other views on this from people that watch and know tennis more than me. It seems obvious that he meant Gorilla, as he talks about charging in, as Guerrilla is not charging, thats more sneaky tactics. His claim that is a well used phrase is clearly bullsht as he could only use the advert ( Guerrilla meaning playing it in NYC) and two articles from one other guy. He is clutching at straws to get himself out of it.

Take the Tennis out of it and if someone makes you think about a Gorilla charging or a Guerrilla charging you would think Gorilla, surely.

I dont think you need to be the sort of person who goes looking for racism, you just have to be a normal person who understands things to realise it could be construed in a certain way.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:19 pm

Ben, you seem to forget that Guerilla also means "irregular tactics" and "charging" in is most certainly irregular for someone who usually plays from the baseline.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:37 pm

If you honestly believe that then fine. You think when he thought of someone charging he thought of a guerrilla (known for sneak attacks mainly) instead of a Gorilla (known for charging).

each to their own.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:42 pm

Tennis is a game of tactics, why else would he mention it?

A guerilla is no more known for charging than tons of other animals. So why select "gorilla" when people would be aware of many other animals being more likely to "charge"

It's simply a homonym which too many idiots are reading far too much into.

By the way, I just googled "charging animals", not a single Gorilla.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm

Super

A gorilla is a hominid not a homonym.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Feb 2017, 5:22 pm

I hope you are joking there Mac, it's hard to tell with you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 17 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

God are you lot STILL banging on about this? FWIW I actually agree with super on this one, but Jesus Christ on a bike you lot do go on just saying the same things over and over again!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

No complaints about Guerilla Tennis here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFytHPxa_4

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 17 Feb 2017, 9:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:No complaints about Guerilla Gorilla Tennis here:

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Feb 2017, 9:21 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

No complaints about Guerilla Gorilla  Tennis Drumming here:

https://youtu.be/wHjieD6CTYs

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm

Kwini

Thanks for posting the original ad. It is a good advert but clearly nothing to do with a certain strategy but rather just the name of a nike advert about playing tennis in the middle of NY.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:43 pm

Maybe,
I always thought, and especially coming from Nike (who never sponsored VW), it was all about attitude, not strategy, Just Do It.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 18 Feb 2017, 12:15 pm

I am maybe a little late to this but apparently the costco golf ball's were actually re-branded nassau quattro's. I hadn't actually heard of Nassau before but here is a link to their site.

http://nassaugolfballs.co.uk/
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 18 Feb 2017, 6:17 pm

McLaren wrote:I am maybe a little late to this but apparently the costco golf ball's were actually re-branded nassau quattro's.  I hadn't actually heard of Nassau before but here is a link to their site.

That youtube fellow Peter Finch uses them as his ball, never seen them myself either, but imagined that Costco had to have licenced them off someone, can't see a supermarket doing the R&D to make a ball.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 20 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

McLaren wrote:I am maybe a little late to this but apparently the costco golf ball's were actually re-branded nassau quattro's.  I hadn't actually heard of Nassau before but here is a link to their site.

They don't look the same and the fact they spell 'mantle' as 'mantel' means I wouldn't go near them via that site...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Feb 2017, 12:50 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

They don't look the same and the fact they spell 'mantle' as 'mantel' means I wouldn't go near them via that site...

I don't like the font either Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 20 Feb 2017, 1:50 pm

Brought to tears by cruel racist taunts: Brazilian footballer weeps at the end of a match in front of Serbians supporters who jeered and made monkey noises every time he touched the ball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4241972/Brazilian-footballer-racially-abused-Serbia.html

Feckin snowflake corbynista...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:00 pm

As long as it wasn't guerilla noises.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Brought to tears by cruel racist taunts: Brazilian footballer weeps at the end of a match in front of Serbians supporters who jeered and made monkey noises every time he touched the ball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4241972/Brazilian-footballer-racially-abused-Serbia.html

Monty, you see ghosts. I think it's pretty obvious that his club employs guerilla tactics! They are called Partizan goddammit!!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:14 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

No complaints about Guerilla Gorilla  Tennis Drumming here:

https://youtu.be/wHjieD6CTYs

I've not clicked on the link, but I assume this is the racist Cadbury advert that got pulled after people complained?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:26 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:

are you talking about THIS GUY?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:34 pm

pedro wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Brought to tears by cruel racist taunts: Brazilian footballer weeps at the end of a match in front of Serbians supporters who jeered and made monkey noises every time he touched the ball.

Monty, you see ghosts. I think it's pretty obvious that his club employs guerilla tactics! They are called Partizan goddammit!!
Phew, that's a relief Erm
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 20 Feb 2017, 4:25 pm

pedro wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

are you talking about THIS GUY?

I read that was Ronald Koemans nickname when he played for Barcelona.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

How much slack do you cut your Pro when an hour before your 8.30am Sat lesson he texts "sorry mate went for a Thai last night and been up since 3.00am - not good - can we rearrange?"

Lesson was rearranged for 4.00pm on the Sunday and it went well. Alls well that ends well but... those that have regular lessons and know your pro well, would you let him away with it?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Feb 2017, 7:20 pm

JAS wrote:How much slack do you cut your Pro when an hour before your 8.30am Sat lesson he texts "sorry mate went for a Thai last night and been up since 3.00am - not good - can we rearrange?"
Was it a ladyboy?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 21 Feb 2017, 9:41 am

JAS wrote:How much slack do you cut your Pro when an hour before your 8.30am Sat lesson he texts "sorry mate went for a Thai last night and been up since 3.00am - not good - can we rearrange?"

Lesson was rearranged for 4.00pm on the Sunday and it went well. Alls well that ends well but... those that have regular lessons and know your pro well, would you let him away with it?

Anyone can be hit by an adverse reaction to non-standard or additional bacteria in food (resulting in the poopies and vom-bombs). To be fair he might have deliberately waited until a time he deemed not too early in the morning to disturb you to let you know.

On the flip side if his actual reason was being poopie faced on far too much vin rouge for example, then it wouldn't be acceptable.

As long as you didn't have to go shopping or round infinite garden centres instead on the Saturday I'd say it all worked out OK!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Feb 2017, 9:49 am

I think I might have said it a bit more delicately, sounded a bit boorish the way he put it as if he had been out on a bender (sorry Mac)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:29 am

When you say let him away with it, what do you mean? Are you really in a position to reprimand him?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

Disposing of his services Mac would be the action he was talking about, not reprimanding him, hence damaging his income.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

Sh!t happens; literally in this case it would seem. If it's an irregular occurrence for this guy, well it could happen to anyone couldn't it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

There's a 2-1 wager on Shane Lowry doing the same thing..

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39045017

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Feb 2017, 5:44 pm

With Shane odds should not be offered on whether or not he eats a pie, but rather on how many pies he eats.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 22 Feb 2017, 7:08 am

McLaren wrote:When you say let him away with it, what do you mean? Are you really in a position to reprimand him?

I'm in a position to take my business elsewhere Mac. But like others have said it could happen to anyone and it was a one off, no harm done except for no long lie in Sat morning.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 22 Feb 2017, 7:13 am

pedro wrote:There's a 2-1 wager on Shane Lowry doing the same thing..

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39045017

Does anyone else think punishing the player here is a bit extreme? All the subs were on, he could not have played in the match or influenced the result (unless the look of a 23stone pie eating man is likely to distract the opposition) ffs the FA really needs help in digging its head out of its own ar5e!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Feb 2017, 7:47 am

What do people think about the over-reaction of McIlroy playing golf with Trump?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

JAS wrote:Does anyone else think punishing the player here is a bit extreme? All the subs were on, he could not have played in the match or influenced the result (unless the look of a 23stone pie eating man is likely to distract the opposition) ffs the FA really needs help in digging its head out of its own ar5e!!
One betting firm has paid out "over a 5 figure sum" to one punter. If there is a connection between him and the winning punter, then that needs to be investigated.  But otherwise, let it go.

Last edited by I'm never wrong on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fat fingers on tablet)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:45 am

Yep it's the betting commission that have ordered the inquiry - the FA have to proceed. All a storm in a tea cup as far as I can see - the bookmaker in question (was it Sun Bet?) deserve all they get for such a stupid stunt. I'd also like to see the BBC brought into the investigation if such an investigation has to happen at all - they MUST have been primed of the stunt to get such good pictures of him pie eating

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 Feb 2017, 11:15 am

Can someone explain to me how Milo is worthy of news reporting?

Twitter isn't real life, is it?

Last edited by McLaren on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Feb 2017, 11:24 am

Everything that bible bashing loon does Mac is done for effect, best to just ignore him Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next