The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

+10
huw
hazharrison
Jermaine2015
EX7EY
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
AdamT
milkyboy
catchweight
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017 Empty Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

Post by catchweight Wed 26 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm

After a reasonably frustrating 2016 for Golovkin, there are some tentative promosing signs that 2017 could be a good one. At present they are negotiating a deal with mandatory and WBA "regular" title holder Danny Jacobs. Jacobs has established himself as one of the top names int he division with a KO win over the previously unbeaten big punching Peter Quillen. It doesnt look like its a done deal yet but negatiotions have been ongoing for the fight to happen in early 2017 having been previously touted for December.

Scheduled to be on the undercard is Andy Lee who could face WBC number 1 ranked Jorge Heiland, who ended the career of Mathew Macklin in Dublin. The winner of that fight would be mandatory for Golovkins WBC title with a fight potentially happening in New York later in the Summer of 2017. Were Lee to win, both Golovkin and Lee would enjoy plenty of support in New York City in what could be a really big fight. Lee is a boxer I like a lot. Genuine, humble guy who is willing to get in the ring with anyone instead of tweeting them. Possessing a cannon of a right hook, he is usually great value for money scoring some spectacular come from behind wins. Lee was actually scheduled to face Golovkin before until the death of Golovkins father put the skids on it. No fear of Lee looking to dodge that fight if it presents itself.

Last but not least is September 2017 and Mexican Independence day. Also the day that Golden Boy seem to be alluding to as the likely date for one Canelo Alvarez to finally go face to face with Golovkin in what would be the biggest fight out there for boxing right now. Its one of those fights that at this stage I will only belive it when i see it but one would have to think that it would be then or never if the fight is to ever happen. I remain skeptical of Golden Boys real desire to make this happen.

In my mind that would make for a near perfect run of fights for 2017 for Golovkin and if we are lucky, it might be within reach.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017 Empty Re: Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

Post by milkyboy Wed 26 Oct 2016, 11:02 pm

Negotiations are heel dragging with Jacobs but hope it gets made, at least the boy can bang.

So can Andy lee, but he's terribly fragile, I, too, like the guy and whilst there's always the punchers chance, I think golovkin holds s shot and lee doesn't... Quick nights work for GGG.

We won't hold our breath for Alvarez but obviously be great if it happened.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Oct 2016, 8:56 am

It would be easy to put the feet in. But I will just say, if he fights/beats Canelo, I can't wait to see him at 168. It's only a matter of time until he gets there.

He dominate that division as well.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:49 am

I don't think I can take any more of Golden Boy's garbage about how they're 'ready' to fight Golovkin very soon, just like they've been 'ready' to take the fight for the past two years. I've got no confidence in the Golovkin-Alvarez fight happening next year and it winds me up to hear so many fans just accepting it with a shrug of indifference and then compounding things with all of this nonsense about 'This is a business, not commercially viable for Canelo, blah blah blah' and the like.

Let me stress - personally, I think Alvarez himself would take the fight if it was down to him, albeit he'd be likely to want some stupid catchweight (don't even get me started on that). The problem is De la Hoya.

I used to like Oscar a lot, both when he was still fighting and in his early days as a full-time promoter, but in the last two or three years he's just come across as a bit of a slimester who's happy to string the fans along and think we're all daft. The way he's conducting Alvarez's affairs in regards to a potential Golovkin fight seems a complete betrayal to the attitude he tended to adopt right throughout his career in the ring, which generally was one of not being afraid to take risks and going for glory.

Anyway, I'd take Jacobs and Lee as decent opponents for Golovkin when the Alvarez fight inevitably doesn't happen, but to be honest if that's the scenario by mid-2017 I'd prefer to see Golovkin move up to 168 and take on the winner of Degale-Jack, which hopefully will be Chunky. Jacobs and Lee are really much of muchness when compared to who Golovkin has already trounced at 160; at least a Degale fight brings questions about added weight, a different style etc.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:24 am

88Chris05 wrote:I don't think I can take any more of Golden Boy's garbage about how they're 'ready' to fight Golovkin very soon, just like they've been 'ready' to take the fight for the past two years. I've got no confidence in the Golovkin-Alvarez fight happening next year and it winds me up to hear so many fans just accepting it with a shrug of indifference and then compounding things with all of this nonsense about 'This is a business, not commercially viable for Canelo, blah blah blah' and the like.

Let me stress - personally, I think Alvarez himself would take the fight if it was down to him, albeit he'd be likely to want some stupid catchweight (don't even get me started on that). The problem is De la Hoya.

I used to like Oscar a lot, both when he was still fighting and in his early days as a full-time promoter, but in the last two or three years he's just come across as a bit of a slimester who's happy to string the fans along and think we're all daft. The way he's conducting Alvarez's affairs in regards to a potential Golovkin fight seems a complete betrayal to the attitude he tended to adopt right throughout his career in the ring, which generally was one of not being afraid to take risks and going for glory.

Anyway, I'd take Jacobs and Lee as decent opponents for Golovkin when the Alvarez fight inevitably doesn't happen, but to be honest if that's the scenario by mid-2017 I'd prefer to see Golovkin move up to 168 and take on the winner of Degale-Jack, which hopefully will be Chunky. Jacobs and Lee are really much of muchness when compared to who Golovkin has already trounced at 160; at least a Degale fight brings questions about added weight, a different style etc.

Nice to see you back Chris

I agree that its Oscar that stops the fight, but its still a duck

No one wants to fight GGG and he gets blamed for the poor resume, when everyone is running scared

I want GGG to fight Jacobs, offer BJS Canelo/Eubank an ultimatum of fight now or he moves up and they are forever known as guys who ducked the best guy

When GGG moves up to 168 he should go for Ramirez and the winner of Jack/Degale

I wish GGG could unify the division, but they are all scared (their teams or the fighters themselves) and it doesn't look like its going to happen

GGG should move up sooner or later so we can really see what he is capable of, I still think he has so much more to show us

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:26 am

He gets blamed for a poor resume because there are better fights to be had at 168lbs but he won't move up, he's happy to fight crud at Middleweight whilst complaining about being avoided.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He gets blamed for a poor resume because there are better fights to be had at 168lbs but he won't move up, he's happy to fight crud at Middleweight whilst complaining about being avoided.

Please someone help me with this, I'm genuinely not sure and it may be an area of boxing I still lack understanding in. Why should GGG have to move up and chase fights against naturally bigger guys than himself, assuming middleweight is his natural weight of course. Which based on how he looks to me appears to be the case. I mean fair enough, if he had fought all there was to fight at middleweight then I can see why people would expect that. But there are still fights there for him, Eubank, Jacobs, BJS and of course Canelo. He wants to unify against BJS which is perfectly legitimate in my eyes. Not his fault BJS has spent 12 months fannying about. Not his fault Canelo was parading round with the WBC middleweight belt but expecting people to come in weighing less than 160 which is utterly ridiculous. Please someone explain to me.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

It his fault that he's hanging around for fights that he, I and you know will not be happening, if he wants to stay at Middleweight fighting the likes of Wade then he's throwing his own career down the pan. He seems reluctant to challenge himself as far as I can see and aside from Canelo the fights he wants are nothing fights, who cares about Jacobs or Eubank, BJS has a belt but is no threat, step up and challenge yourself.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It his fault that he's hanging around for fights that he, I and you know will not be happening, if he wants to stay at Middleweight fighting the likes of Wade then he's throwing his own career down the pan. He seems reluctant to challenge himself as far as I can see and aside from Canelo the fights he wants are nothing fights, who cares about Jacobs or Eubank, BJS has a belt but is no threat, step up and challenge yourself.

He wants to unify the division, he has said it from day one

But I agree they are all scared, so move up

Make them look ridiculous

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:It his fault that he's hanging around for fights that he, I and you know will not be happening, if he wants to stay at Middleweight fighting the likes of Wade then he's throwing his own career down the pan. He seems reluctant to challenge himself as far as I can see and aside from Canelo the fights he wants are nothing fights, who cares about Jacobs or Eubank, BJS has a belt but is no threat, step up and challenge yourself.

He wants to unify the division, he has said it from day one

But I agree they are all scared, so move up

Make them look ridiculous

Agreed. If he doesn't get Canelo, go up and bash Degale etc. He can do it, no problem.

I still think GGG gets a little overrated (considering his resume) but I think he could beat anyone in the SM division.

Though I would like to see that Canelo fight. I don't think it would be one way traffic.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Beat Degale no problem? Out of everyone in or around the division he's the one who would be trickiest to beat easily, ugly technically proficient boxers don't tend to get rolled over.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

He gets lazy during fights. GGG would break him down.

If Degale is switched on for the full 12 and gets off to a good start, it could be very different.

Just struggling to see how he wins, unless GGG struggles with the extra size.

Definitely a more intriguing fight than the likes of Saunders or Eubanks.

Last edited by AdamT on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 27 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

I don't know guys. I think if middleweight is his natural weight then he should be entitled to stay there and reign as champion for as long as he wants or until somebody comes and knocks him off his perch. In my opinion it's not his fault that nobody wants anything to do with him, which is clearly the case. I know everybody seems to like it when fighters go up to 'test themselves' but I think moving up through the weights should be a bonus rather than something that is expected.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2016, 1:29 pm

It's not his fault ez. However, his camp pitch him as this big scary monster who'll fight anyone from 154-168 (or higher). If they'd said from day 1, he's a middle, he's staying there, he might have garnered a little less scepticism from some.  I don't blame his team, they were trying to build the guy up, but 154 is ok if it's Floyd, 168 for ward becomes 164 and come back in a year. It takes away some of the moral high ground for me and makes it look like they talk the talk but follow the dollar.

But. I reiterate, he is avoided, and it's not his fault he's not American/Mexican and a huge Ppv star. It's not his fault that the sport is so forked up you often can't get the best at a weight to fight the best.

My belief is they should have given up being dicked around a while back and taken a big name for less money... to help become that Ppv star, but it's easy with hindsight... They obviously thought they could unify and get mega bucks with Alvarez.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 27 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

milkyboy wrote:It's not his fault ez. However, his camp pitch him as this big scary monster who'll fight anyone from 154-168 (or higher). If they'd said from day 1, he's a middle, he's staying there, he might have garnered a little less scepticism from some.  I don't blame his team, they were trying to build the guy up, but 154 is ok if it's Floyd, 168 for ward becomes 164 and come back in a year. It takes away some of the moral high ground for me and makes it look like they talk the talk but follow the dollar.

But. I reiterate, he is avoided, and it's not his fault he's not American/Mexican and a huge Ppv star. It's not his fault that the sport is so forked up you often can't get the best at a weight to fight the best.

My belief is they should have given up being dicked around a while back and taken a big name for less money... to help become that Ppv star, but it's easy with hindsight... They obviously thought they could unify and get mega bucks with Alvarez.

Makes more sense to me now why people feel like this about GGG, cheers

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

To be fair to golovkin, he's always said he'd fight anyone in those weight ranges but he really wants to unify middle. Which is fair enough. It is primarily his trainer who's made the other noises.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

Daniel Jacobs will get out in a coma by GGG. Jacobs' chin is woeful, he was put down by a non puncher Sergio Mora. Once GGG lands Jacobs goes to sleep

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 27 Oct 2016, 2:43 pm

What a lovely comment.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 27 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

Struggling with Golovkin. I've supported him over the past couple of years. He's the most avoided fighter I can recall - certainly since Hagler (Lennox Lewis was frozen out for long periods while Tyson was more feared - though opponents were willing to take the pay cheque on offer).

I support his decision to stay at 160 and clear it out. BUT, it was disconcerting to see Abel Sanchez claiming this week that Golovkin would clean out Stevenson, Ward and Kovalev. If you're going to sound off like that (and I appreciate it wasn't Golovkin himself) then you have to show an inclination to go up to 175. Otherwise, what's the point?

Terrible shame to see everyone side step him (Jacobs, Saunders and Ginger Balls). and see such promise wasted. I just hope he can round out his career in style (ala Lewis and Calzaghe).

How epic would a Kovalev fight be (should the Russian KO Ward)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 27 Oct 2016, 5:35 pm

Wouldn't it be great to see a super 6 at middleweight to get all this nonsense sorted out.

Actually, just a super 3. Firstly GGG vs BJS because they abbreviate better. Then when Alvarez has eaten enough to actually weight in at the limit and come in far heavier he could fight the winner...

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Oct 2016, 7:01 pm

Haz I take back everything! Good post.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Oct 2016, 8:21 pm

Well not everything lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 27 Oct 2016, 9:07 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I don't think I can take any more of Golden Boy's garbage about how they're 'ready' to fight Golovkin very soon, just like they've been 'ready' to take the fight for the past two years. I've got no confidence in the Golovkin-Alvarez fight happening next year and it winds me up to hear so many fans just accepting it with a shrug of indifference and then compounding things with all of this nonsense about 'This is a business, not commercially viable for Canelo, blah blah blah' and the like.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oscar-de-la-hoya-this-may-be-the-worst-year-in-boxing-history-193815691.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Might want to avoid reading this Chris.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:48 pm

Rowley wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oscar-de-la-hoya-this-may-be-the-worst-year-in-boxing-history-193815691.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Might want to avoid reading this Chris.

Hahahaa they posted that on reddit

Oh the irony

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm

Moral of the story... Never trust a man who wears fishnets.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:17 pm

milkyboy wrote:Moral of the story... Never trust a man who wears fishnets.
Can't trust you then. Whistle

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:34 pm

You don't need to see me in fishnets to know that fella!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:01 am

Oscar has always been a slimeball. Fake personality as a fighter and an absolute weirdo as a promoter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

He ridicules others for not making fights, but he's as bad.

He is fake as f..k. He was a much better fighter than promoter, that's for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:09 am

They're all as bad as each other and the worst of the lot Don King was also the best of the lot at making the big fights happen.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:13 am

Hammer you will get no argument from me.

King was a crook but he did used to put on some mega fights.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

I was actually thinking about King the other day. Unified heavyweight belts with Tyson and Lewis and middleweight with Hopkins, co-promoted Tito-Oscar, Chavez-Pea etc.

Had he been involved with Floyd vs Pac, it would have happened years before it did.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

Yep Old Don got the job done.

I might be a critic of GGG, but I do think he is potentially a great fighter. It sucks people are avoiding him, but that's modern boxing.

He probably is good enough to challenge anyone 175. He is certainly good enough to red out 168.

He still has time to put a stamp on his career. It's not how you start, but how you finish.

If he doesn't get Canelo, or the other guys next year. Step up and smash the sh1t out of the 168 guys.

He can do it with ease and I guarantee he would be very fondly remembered by everyone. Even myself!

He has a 2-3 year time period. He will get the fights soon. Canelo will fight him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 28 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

Don King or DLH as a promoter? That's a tough choice. Easy to say that King got the job done but how much money did the fighters actually get?

Think I'd prefer DLH as my promoter if I was a fighter.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Oct 2016, 7:36 pm

Better for fighters, not for fans.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:01 am

Could Froch be in his plans?

Can't see Carl coming back his chin in't same since Groves 1 nor his belief imo. Would he really consider coming back without a tuneup for such a dangerous fight? If Groves can do that to him(saved by bell) what in hell's name would the great Golovkin do? But Froch might be thinking he was jaded in Groves 1 and underprepared. Fully recharged is it possible we could see a return of the fighter from the Pascal fight?(Carl never quite the same after that one, Pascal neither.)  That kind of operator though would surely give Golovkin his toughest test to date by far

But with ten million quid on the table for thirty six minutes work(the sort of money only boxing can generate) you could see how he might be tempted. Who could blame him for cashing in on a great(very good) career and the years of hard work? He undoubtedly never has to work again don't see him as the type to squander money but another ten mill and he could live off the interest of the interest

A win too would make Froch a modern great. A bona fide great:

http://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-team-golovkin-trying-entice-froch-out-retirement--110722

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:07 am

Froch might, or might not beat GGG when he was at his peak. He certainly wouldn't if he came back after a lay off.

GGG would stop him now. Probably late ko.

If they fought at their peak, I would have it 50-50.

It would go to points. GGG is the better boxer, but I think Froch could hold his own.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:22 am

It's the sort of fight that could resonate through the ages much like Greb against Micky Walker. To dethrone the unbeatable Kazakh and Froch's name goes down in time. Wonder if he's up for the challenge or will it back to tending his roses at the bottom of the garden?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:25 am

I agree with your sentiment, but I just don't think Froch can be competitive.

He is near 40 and had too long a lay off. It would be dangerous for him.

I honestly think GGG would brutalize him for 7-8 rounds, before the ref steps in.

If Froch was still in Bute form, it would be a hell of a fight.

GGG would be the better all around fighter, but Froch the bigger stronger man. It would be a cracking fantasy match up.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:37 am

It's a fight that would generate intense global interest(because of their styles) but Golovkin is no Bute and I don't see Carl coming back. Life is full of surprises though. Carl was never in a superfight that's the one box he never ticked

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

It won't happen. GGG wouldn't risk his record to fight Ward, Can't expect Froch to do the same for GGG.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:43 am

Yep don't see it shame as it would generate probably ten times the excitement and anticipation levels of a Golovkin Ward fight due to the styles

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:46 am

It would, but not the same prestige. If Ward wins on Saturday, he becomes the biggest attraction in boxing.

Bigger than Canelo and bigger than GGG.

He should play up to the cameras more, become a cocky git. More people that hate him? The more that will pay to see him lose.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:02 am

Pity Ward's style is so dull. Being that good if he had an exciting style to go with it he'd be earning hundreds of millions. He's not the kind of person to generate hatred though don't think he should put on an act just be himself but you maybe right because he's not earning the money he should be. Number one in this sport should mean massive money

The Froch resume will take a big boost if Ward wins this Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:08 am

He can call out GGG (provided he wins). He can CLAIM, GGG is ducking him.

Fanboys of GGG will hate him for it and accuse him of lying. They become butt hurt.

In the mean time GGG goes about his business and finally gets the Canelo fight.

Ward gets the Stevenson fight then wins. GGG then beats Canelo.

Boxing finally has a superfight again. GGG vs Ward at 170!

Loads of so called 'forum experts' will scoff at this. But this plan makes money and huge interest.

All Ward needs to do is hound GGG. People will hate him for it, but he will garner more attention.

If Kovalev wins? Ward can f..k off! lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:23 am

Stevenson fights Ward if Andre beats Kovalev goes into hiding if Kovalev wins.

I'm neutral really in the Ward Kovalev fight but it's Stevenson that makes me want Kovalev to win

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:25 am

I want Ward to win, becomes I think bigger fights will be made.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:30 am

Stevenson is the only man in boxing I truly loathe, he'll be praying for a Ward win

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:43 am

Yeah so he can get a pay day from Ward and keep his teeth.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:55 am

Kova makes Stevenson spit teeth no doubt sickens me that Stevenson can get another payday before he fights Kovalev a fight that should have happened two years ago before Stevenson ran to another network scuppering any chance of the fight taking place totally disingenuous of Stevenson saying he wants the winner when he knows because of himself the Kovalev fight can't happen just using Kovalev's name

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next