The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

+10
huw
hazharrison
Jermaine2015
EX7EY
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
AdamT
milkyboy
catchweight
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017 - Page 2 Empty Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

Post by catchweight Wed 26 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

After a reasonably frustrating 2016 for Golovkin, there are some tentative promosing signs that 2017 could be a good one. At present they are negotiating a deal with mandatory and WBA "regular" title holder Danny Jacobs. Jacobs has established himself as one of the top names int he division with a KO win over the previously unbeaten big punching Peter Quillen. It doesnt look like its a done deal yet but negatiotions have been ongoing for the fight to happen in early 2017 having been previously touted for December.

Scheduled to be on the undercard is Andy Lee who could face WBC number 1 ranked Jorge Heiland, who ended the career of Mathew Macklin in Dublin. The winner of that fight would be mandatory for Golovkins WBC title with a fight potentially happening in New York later in the Summer of 2017. Were Lee to win, both Golovkin and Lee would enjoy plenty of support in New York City in what could be a really big fight. Lee is a boxer I like a lot. Genuine, humble guy who is willing to get in the ring with anyone instead of tweeting them. Possessing a cannon of a right hook, he is usually great value for money scoring some spectacular come from behind wins. Lee was actually scheduled to face Golovkin before until the death of Golovkins father put the skids on it. No fear of Lee looking to dodge that fight if it presents itself.

Last but not least is September 2017 and Mexican Independence day. Also the day that Golden Boy seem to be alluding to as the likely date for one Canelo Alvarez to finally go face to face with Golovkin in what would be the biggest fight out there for boxing right now. Its one of those fights that at this stage I will only belive it when i see it but one would have to think that it would be then or never if the fight is to ever happen. I remain skeptical of Golden Boys real desire to make this happen.

In my mind that would make for a near perfect run of fights for 2017 for Golovkin and if we are lucky, it might be within reach.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:01 pm

Froch hasn't fought for 2 1/2 years, it will be more than 3 by fight time.

I'm sure he'd like the money, he'll know he has a very good excuse for losing, he'd love the limelight because he's needy as hell... but. Could he cope with finishing his career in likely painful and possibly embarrassing defeat? Even with enough money to redo his nosejob? Can't see it myself. Looks like the usual column inches that seem to be de facto in big fight week.

Would have been a cracking fight 2 years ago. It's time has past.

If Loeffler is serious, it's good to see team golovkin demonstrating that it's all about legacy not money, by trying to tempt the biggest draw at the weight above (don't they keep saying GGG is a middleweight?) out of retirement. censored

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: Golovkin 3 fight plan for 2017

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:03 pm

That's modern boxing for you my friend.

The annoying thing about Stevenson is, he can fight and puts boys to sleep.

Kovalev would beat him, but it would of made an exciting fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

If Loeffler is serious, it's good to see team golovkin demonstrating that it's all about legacy not money, by trying to tempt the biggest draw at the weight above (don't they keep saying GGG is a middleweight?) out of retirement. censored[/quote]

I have purposely ignored mentioning this. I have gave GGG a kicking too many times. You are correct though.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Can't see the fight happening. Froch's last good performance would have been Bute almost 4 years ago, the Groves fights highlighted this as a couple of years previous he would have annihilated him throughout both fights not having to wait for him to tire and lapse in concentration.
Also, assuming the perceived fight was to happen in April/May next year, Froch will be 40 in July. Not sure what damage even a mediocre punch would have on his nose.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm

He wouldn't have had the surgery if he was coming back it could react badly to being hit besides Golovkin that little bit too good for him. Carl's enjoying his property renovations so he isn't coming back. Wealthy man, nice young family and British great

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:34 pm

Froch is just having a bit of fun.

He isn't seriously contemplating the fight. I think when it was first mentioned, he might of been tempted. But too much time has passed since.

He has money made and a legacy of being a tough nut, that was almost impossible to stop. He won't risk that legacy with GGG.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 14 Nov 2016, 2:17 pm

I'm not sure Froch's ego would allow him to see sense here. He may see it as an opportunity to come back and beat one of the current greats.

Would be a crazy move and in theory doesn't do anything for GGG's reputation but when looking back he would probably ignore the fact he had retired and se it as beating a great from the weight above....

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 14 Nov 2016, 2:26 pm

GGG can fight Ward after he beats Kovalev. If he wants to fight a bigger guy, chase the best.

Not some guy that has retired over two years ago.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2