The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
BlueCoverman
beninho
golfermartin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
LadyPutt
Davie
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
MontysMerkin
pedro
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
McLaren
super_realist
robopz
GPB
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 16 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).That's where we are this week, for the second week running after Mayakoba's beachside beauty - which is no way to describe winner Pat Perez. Quite the return from injury for Perez, long regarded as one of the Tour's premier "ball strikers" - if he was anywhere close as good between the ears as he is with his irons, he'd win five times a year, said Johnny Miller, or words to that effect anyway. Almost a shame he won as his combustible self-destruction act is quite something to behold.
And he's the third Mayakoba winner in a row to break a victory drought following Charley Hoffman and Graeme McDowell.

2).We travel this week to the Golden Isles of Georgia and the two courses that make up the venue for the RSM (formerly McGladrey) Classic. 18 holes each at the Plantation Course and Seaside Course, then 36 weekend holes at Seaside - a Harry Colt design originally, and a beautiful setting which will be graced by equally beautiful weather. These "Isles" are popular destinations for Tour players to live and practice, led by Davis Love and joined by Kuchar, Zach Johnson and several others.

3).A lot has happened in the past ten days. Obviously.
We all know the Ugly (not to say vulgar, racist, misogynistic, isolationist) which evolved into the Bad (very bad, tremendously bad), and was roundly welcomed by Pros from all US Tours and broadcast booths.
But there's been some good as well, in the world of Golf at least.

4).With impeccable timing, the Rolex Series for the European Tour was introduced, with the promise of at least one more tournament (France?) to be added to the seven already announced. Not sure we know all the details yet, and the ramifications for PGA Tour members (including South Africans) have yet to be established, but this can't be anything other than terrific news for the E.T.

5).Don't know whether this is good or what, but the reformatting of the Zurich Classic in New Orleans next April seems to beg more questions than it answers, not least any rationale surrounding owgr points (it seems none will be awarded) and how they're going to fill the field. And at a venue, New Orleans, that often experiences an untimely monsoon season to coincide with the tournament, how are they going to manage 160 golfers playing four-balls on the Friday?

6).Meanwhile, the LPGA seems interested in acquiring the Ladies European Tour and using it as feeder for its own Tour. Not sure how that will go down.

7).More positive news for European Seniors is that its new "Head" man, Dave McLaren, is laying out plans to increase the number of tournaments and raise prize money, hopefully within a couple of years. Don't expect Europe's Seniors to reach the kind of wealth that Bernhard Langer has achieved on the Champions Tour (almost $21M and counting), but anything to achieve stability would be welcomed. Meanwhile, the likes of Barry Lane and Van der Velde are competing here in Champions Tour Q-School (both leading in their respective venues after Round 1), hoping to join the likes of Langer, Montgomerie, Mechanic, Broadhurst, Woosie, Lyle and, when he feels fit to compete, Olazabal.

8).This time last year, Graeme McDowell travelled to the Seaside with a Mayakoba win under his belt and proceeded to finish third. Strange, then, that's he's not in this week's field, especially disappointing after three superb rounds last week. Luke Donald will be playing, trying to emerge from the wreckage of his career - a couple of runner-up finishes last year but nothing to suggest he'll be back at the top anytime soon. But these courses might suit him.

9).It's a sad commentary on the state of Australian Golf that last year's Aussie Open Champ, Matt Jones, is playing the RSM/McGladrey rather than defending his title. Admittedly he needs all the starts he can get after mysteriously taking last season just easy enough that he narrowly lost his card, but really . . . . . . . .

10).No PGA Tour action next week, even though Thanksgiving has been postponed in most US homes for four years. There IS a World Cup in Australia, plus Champions Tour and web.com Q-Schools in the next three weeks, but the Ballwasher is pretty clogged up with fallen leaves and season-ending debris, so only sporadic musings until January. Merry Christmas!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:When super issues a diktat make sure you conform or there will be consequences.....

Absolutely, and golfers names are not even the worst.........http://theshitastrophy.com/stupid-boy-names-2013/

Expect to see a Gospel, Bentley, Sheriff, Pilot, Major or Damoney on a leaderboard near you soon.

Norway and Iceland have the right idea banning absurdly stupid names.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Tue 13 Dec 2016, 3:53 pm

Norway is bonkers, a really popular name is Tor, they name their kids after a god of thunder, what a bunch of idiots do they not realise there is no god, let alone one of thunder! Idiot Scandinavians.

Anyone would think that different parts of the world have different views on normal names...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:00 pm

beninho wrote:Norway is bonkers
Thanks, going there Saturday.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:05 pm

Norway is outstanding. Never seen as many good looking people as I have in Oslo. Other places, not so much, but 100x better than UK and very few fat people.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm

super_realist wrote:
For the record, Felicity is an old, traditional name in Britain and fairly common and Florentyna Parker is a naturalised Briton born and brought up in Germany. Hence the name.

So non-American cultural conventions meet your approval and American Culture Conventions don't

Gotcha

Why do "Williams" often go by "Bill"?  "Bill" is not their name, William is.

Why do "Roberts" often go by "Bob".  "Bob" is not their name, Robert is

Ditto Tony for Anthony.

A name is one of the few things a person can truly call their own.  If they want to be called something else, who are we to be presumptuous and supercilious .

Of all things to get your knickers knotted, this might be one of the most ridiculous.[/quote]

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:43 pm

No, you wrongly assumed that Florentyna Parker was a stupid name for an English person, yet I pointed out she was born in Germany (to a German mother and an English father), grew up in Germany and lives there, she is only represents England. Hence, her name is not really a consideration because she's bloody German origin, something you clearly hadn't realised.

Neither you nor I speak German, so we can't say how German names work, or what is popular or what is "normal" or "not stupid"

I've never said people can't call themselves what they want. Why would I?

I've just said that Skip, Chip, Davis, Chuck, Eldrick, Keegan, Pilot, Misty, Picabo, Tiger, Boo, Webb etc are STUPID SOUNDING NAMES. Why can't you understand that?

They sound like the sort of names you'd call a bloody dog.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:53 pm

I've just said that Skip, Chip, Davis, Chuck, Eldrick, Keegan, Pilot, Misty, Picabo, Tiger, Boo, Webb etc are STUPID SOUNDING NAMES. Why can't you understand that?

Maybe because you are saying it as if it is a fact. Its not. Its your opinion.

I don't think they are stupid sounding at all. Of course I don't yell at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn either.

Spoiler:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:58 pm

Why don't you change your name to Picabo then GPB?

I've course it's my bloody opinion, do I really have to couch everything with IMHO every time I write something? I would have thought people would have the sense to take that as read.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

beninho wrote:In my wifes family she has a couple of aunties, who go by their middle names. Unsure why, I would guess they prefer it. I find it really weird that people get so wound up by peoples names.

People live in different parts of the world and have different traditions, who really cares if Richard goes by Webb, or Thomas goes by his childhood nickname as does Gerry and Eldrick. Or Richard prefers to be called Rich and Rick goes by Rickie with the middle name Yutaka. Or Chesson has a less than a conventional Brittish name.

Aren't we all just grown up enough to not give a flying f@@k.
WOW... someone else who gets it... not that it'll matter to some of this crowd though... {{{sigh}}}

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

super_realist wrote:Norway and Iceland have the right idea banning absurdly stupid names.
Perhaps what's more needed is a UK law banning absurdly stupid OBSESSIONS with names.... laughing

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:39 pm

super_realist wrote:Why don't you change your name to Picabo then GPB?

I've course it's my bloody opinion, do I really have to couch everything with IMHO every time I write something? I would have thought people would have the sense to take that as read.

I am perfectly happy with my name, and FWIW, it is not the name on my birth certificate. But it a very common name, in America and in England.

I would not want the name Picabo, but I have no qualms with Picabo. Its frankly none of my business and I am not so sanctimonious to obsess about it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm

I read that Picabo was named after the local village. Its not a normal name, but I would rather be called Picabo then a lot of normal names.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Dec 2016, 6:20 pm

Confirmation that Eldrick has committed to play the LA Open at Riviera. No other commitments announced yet; perhaps he's holding out for a mega appearance fee in the Middle East?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Confirmation that Eldrick has committed to play the LA Open at Riviera. No other commitments announced yet; perhaps he's holding out for a mega appearance fee in the Middle East?

STP tweeted that Rory, Tiger, and Adam were playing in Dubai for $5Million total Appearance money, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

https://twitter.com/secrettourpro/status/806537409638924288

After Giles Morgan of HSBC chewed Tiger out publicly in 2013, don't count on TW will be going to Abu Dhabi.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 13 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm

Any particular reason Tyrrell as a first name hasn't been subjected to your ire up to this point SR?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm

Hibbz wrote:Any particular reason Tyrrell as a first name hasn't been subjected to your ire up to this point SR?

The Flag next to his name when it is on a leaderboard?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:52 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:When super issues a diktat make sure you conform or there will be consequences.....
Like name calling?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

GPB wrote:
I am perfectly happy with my name, and FWIW, it is not the name on my birth certificate.
Doh! So you already went to a numerologist?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm

Hibbz wrote:Any particular reason Tyrrell as a first name hasn't been subjected to your ire up to this point SR?
He grew up in Germany and his parents are from Essex...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 14 Dec 2016, 12:30 am

pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:
I am perfectly happy with my name, and FWIW, it is not the name on my birth certificate.
Doh! So you already went to a numerologist?

Think James/Jim, Anthony/Tony, Henry/Hank, Stephen/Steve or something similar.

FTR...."GPB" has nothing whatsoever to do with my real name.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Dec 2016, 1:16 am

GPB,
Are you related to Sidd Finch?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Dec 2016, 7:58 am

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:Why don't you change your name to Picabo then GPB?

I am perfectly happy with my name, and FWIW, it is not the name on my birth certificate.  But it a very common name, in America and in England.

I would not want the name Picabo, but I have no qualms with Picabo.  Its frankly none of my business and I am not so sanctimonious to obsess about it.

Rumplestiltskin GPB?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:00 am

pedro wrote:

I agree, silly sounding name too. Perhaps he was named after a 1970's F1 Team?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 14 Dec 2016, 9:48 am

Engelbert Humperdink. That is all.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 14 Dec 2016, 11:11 am

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:

I agree, silly sounding name too. Perhaps he was named after a 1970's F1 Team?

No he's named after his mum's favourite crisps.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 14 Dec 2016, 6:22 pm

pedro wrote:Keep Little John away from unhealthy food (too late?) and booze and he could be a wife world beater..

Pretty disgusting seeing a 12 year old boy waddling around with his gut hanging out. How can you do that to a child?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:12 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:Keep Little John away from unhealthy food (too late?) and booze and he could be a wife world beater..

Pretty disgusting seeing a 12 year old boy waddling around with his gut hanging out. How can you do that to a child?

Has S_R hacked Ray's account?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Dec 2016, 9:27 pm

Fat children is pretty unacceptable. The parents should be held to account for such abuse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:26 pm

Super

I would rather my parents made me fat than have them do to me what your parents did to you to make you turn out how you did. Erm
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:37 pm

You've no idea how I turned out Mac, other that I'm more successful than you are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

Super

We know you turned out to be a weirdo about names. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:39 am

Don't get me started on names I'm a John but my parents and close family called me Ian when growing up (Ian is apparently Gaelic for John). As if that wasn't confusing enough I got glasses when I was six, I walked into class on the day I first got them and from the back of the class came a loud "Oh look, it's Joe 90!!" which everybody thought was hilarious (because there was a bit of a resemblance). So Joe stuck as my nickname through most of my childhood. When I went to secondary school many people thought Joe was actually my name. Then to put a tin hat on it, when I found out I was adopted I did the whole tracing thing and found out I had actually been called David when I was born before I was given up for adoption. So, like I said...don't get me started on names!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Dec 2016, 8:29 am

David John Ian Joe 90, still nowhere near as bad as Smyllie Kaufman or Misty Hyman

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 15 Dec 2016, 9:47 am

Smylie Kauffmans name is Carter, an old gaelic name derived from someone who carries goods. A traditional old style name. Smylie is his middle name, it seems that is a name that originated in the 1800's. Maybe not popular but not bad names, just names.

Misty seems to have become popular in the 60's. I dont see why its a bad name though.

Why are you so anti non popular names?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:24 am

Because of the next word Beninho, Having a descriptive first name and then following that with the word Hyman, would be like being called Drew Peacock. Not very sensible.

I'm not against non popular names, there are some nice rare names, just names which sound (in my opinion for the benefit of GPB before he goes off on one) patently ridiculous and the likes of Skip, Smyllie, Keegan, Boo, Tiger etc are once again (in my opinion) absurdly stupid sounding names.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:45 am

There's a whole world of humour around names. Saw a post on FB yesterday from an acquaintance of a girl called Gemma Pell....imagine the problems she has in France!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:47 am

But Misty Hymen, doesn't mean anything. Can a girl have a misty hymen? I would understand if her parents had named her Broken Hymen, Torn Hymen, Bleeding Hymen they are all very bad names considering the surname.

You clearly have an irrational view on names you don't like, which is fine, each to their own views an opinions. Its what makes the world.

I would rather be called Keegan or Smylie than Trevor or Simon.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:49 am

I am sure I heard about someone being called Teresa Green, whether this is true or not I cannot confirm. That is a badly though out name. I saw a twitter post regarding Mr and Mrs Abraham naming their son Lincoln. I though that worked well.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:38 pm

My ex girlfriend had a friend called Jenny Till. Some parents don't think.

If my name was Eldrick I would probably ask everyone to call me Tiger instead.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm

JAS wrote:Don't get me started on names I'm a John but my parents and close family called me Ian when growing up (Ian is apparently Gaelic for John). As if that wasn't confusing enough I got glasses when I was six, I walked into class on the day I first got them and from the back of the class came a loud "Oh look, it's Joe 90!!" which everybody thought was hilarious (because there was a bit of a resemblance). So Joe stuck as my nickname through most of my childhood. When I went to secondary school many people thought Joe was actually my name. Then to put a tin hat on it, when I found out I was adopted I did the whole tracing thing and found out I had actually been called David when I was born before I was given up for adoption. So, like I said...don't get me started on names!!

JAS that sounds like something from only fools and horses. Is Trigger your dad? laughing

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Dec 2016, 1:28 pm

The name's Tiger but you can call me Eldrick: And I've just signed up to play Bridgestone B330-S balls. ca-ching.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 15 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

Many English male names are slang words for a certain part of the male anatomy. I know someone named Richard Head, and I have a distant cousin whose name is Peter Burns.

I am sure there were barrels full of snickers among the English boys whenever Nick Faldo's and Henrik Stenson's female caddie name was uttered.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

I can't imagine too many things more petty and superficial as to be critical of someone's name

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 15 Dec 2016, 3:15 pm

GPB wrote:I can't imagine too many things more petty and superficial as to be critical of someone's name
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 15 Dec 2016, 3:46 pm

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/nicklaus-designing-course-turkmenistan

Jack Nicklaus has been designing and building golf courses around the world for the last four decades, and most of his work has been overseas during the last 10 years. But his latest project in Turkmenistan is as intriguing as any of them.

Few people there even play golf. At least not yet.

The president of the Central Asian nation, Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov, announced in October that he wants a golf course built ahead of the Asian Games next year. Nicklaus said the Ashgabat Golf Club should be finished in April (but not playable until July), and more courses are planned for a holiday area along the Caspian Sea.

The President is named "Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov"?

Yikes!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Dec 2016, 3:48 pm

GPB,
You didn't respond to my Sidd Finch fishing expedition . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 15 Dec 2016, 4:13 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,
You didn't respond to my Sidd Finch fishing expedition . . . . . . . !

There is a good reason for that.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 15 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm

Sid Finch of 120mph fastball throwing fame???

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

Bingo! Mythical!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Dec 2016, 5:43 pm

Sweet list of venues for future Walker Cups:
2017: Los Angeles Country Club (also hosting the 2023 US Open)
2019: Hoylake
2021: Seminole
2023: tba - wouldn't it be a nice change if it was in Ireland, Portmarnock, say? Hasn't been there since 1991, Harrington & McGinley vs Duval & Mickelson (and Shotrock's mate Jay Sigel)
2025: Cypress Point

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 15 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm

Kwin - That's some lineup.

And, if you ever get to these parts, I would like to arrange for a meeting with Jay. You would, I suspect, find him a great guy.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next