The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook v Spence Jr

+24
Herman Jaeger
Rodney
bhb001
Pedro147
owen10ozzy
mobilemaster8
AdamT
Dylan1979
themadworldofjb
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
hogey
Mr Bounce
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
hazharrison
irishbrads
Jermaine2015
BoxingFan88
catchweight
melv500
Kareem61
28 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Brook v Spence Jr - Page 4 Empty Brook v Spence Jr

Post by Kareem61 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 9:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Eddie Hearn has confirmed that Kell Brook will defend his IBF title against Errol Spence Jr. How's this one gonna go down and what does a win do for Brook? Bramall Lane is being touted as a likely venue and as a Blade I'm hoping to get to this one!

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Brook v Spence Jr - Page 4 Empty Re: Brook v Spence Jr

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 3:26 pm

Am I overrating Spence? Maybe, but I think many on here think Kell is better, than he actually is.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 May 2017, 3:49 pm

AdamT wrote:Am I overrating Spence? Maybe, but I think many on here think Kell is better, than he actually is.

Tell us how good he is then ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Fri 26 May 2017, 4:10 pm

Brook definitely won the stare off. Be interesting to see how Spence handles the occasion. UK fans are much louder than US, being in a stadium too it'll be something Spence has never seen before and obviously he's the pantomime villain. Still going Spence late but hoping Kell can do it.

I rate Brook highly. I don't think He's exceptional at any one thing but a fair assessment is he's very good at most things.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 4:11 pm

I will tell you on Sunday, because you're too tight to pay for fights. You will need somebody to tell you how it went.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 May 2017, 4:20 pm

AdamT wrote:I will tell you on Sunday, because you're too tight to pay for fights. You will need somebody to tell you how it went.

Baseless statement again then.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 4:22 pm

Well look who was asking the question. Do you want me to answer it?

Truss doesn't watch boxing and I think he's a d1ck, so I can't be bothered debating with him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 26 May 2017, 4:26 pm

I think there's a few good welterweights who are at a similar level, not much to choose between Thurman porter garcia brook and spence. Brook and spence may be the best of them. Spence is the largely untested one, his standing is high because of two impressive wins where his power seemed to have gone up a notch. It's a step up in class for him though and a very hard fight to call.

I'm ever so slightly leaning to brook, but who knows what the golovkin fight has taken out of him and he'sworryingly easy to hit. Lots of questions, intriguing fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 May 2017, 4:39 pm

AdamT wrote:Well look who was asking the question. Do you want me to answer it?

Truss doesn't watch boxing and I think he's a d1ck, so I can't be bothered debating with him.

No you've done your usual and made a random statement that you can't back up, I know primary school children with more maturity.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 4:57 pm

I'd. Say you know plenty of school children

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 May 2017, 5:01 pm

AdamT wrote:Well look who was asking the question. Do you want me to answer it?

You can't say fairer than that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 26 May 2017, 5:18 pm

I think that this has cracking fight written all over it. I *think* that Brook will beat Spence but it sure as hell won't be easy and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the other way. Spence has only been past 8 rounds once in his career - will that be a problem for him? And he's also fighting away from the US for the first time. These things could count against him as some fighters just don't travel well, but of course they could mean diddly squat.

I am going to go with Brook by TKO in 11 but with no sense of certainty. It'll be a good fight that's for sure.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 26 May 2017, 6:15 pm

Must say, I've seen very little of Spence except highlights, which can be deceptive.

Watched a montage comparing their top 10 fights and Spence looked to punch consistently hard, with both (quick) hands. Have a good engine. But seemed a little for footed and not​ the most accurate/concussive finishers. Seemed to bludgeon a finish rather than put them away, Bundu aside.

Also seemed most of his opponents stood in front of him and were not big punchers.

Obviously, he's still a 'novice' so improving and little evidence.

Not sure how to use his previous to assess how he'd do against a hard punching, counter puncher like brook, who can move.

To me, the one variable that might be what the GGG fight took out of brook.

But the footage I saw brook looked in great shape, claiming to be only 148lb a few days ago.

I can see brook using the same tactics he did against GGG, only against a smaller and, possibly, inferior version. So, this time being successful.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 7:56 pm

So why exactly has Brook won the weigh in stare? Just seen a guy being overly pumped vs a calm guy.

Shades of Hatton vs Floyd in that weigh in.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 May 2017, 8:05 pm

Put three whole quid on Brook to win on points,a few beers and an excuse not to see the in-laws. Cheers everyone, enjoy the fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 May 2017, 8:20 pm

andygf wrote:Put three whole quid on Brook to win on points,a few beers and an excuse not to see the in-laws. Cheers everyone, enjoy the fight!

Apparently Brook won the weigh in stare..

Put 4 quid on and say Hi to your in laws for me.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 May 2017, 10:41 pm

You're right,I can't get out of that.It was the same the night of the Joshua fight,rushed back from their house hoping to catch the end and was "spoilered" instantly,bevved up people in the street.
Much more keen on Kelly as a fighter than AJ,I have to admit!
My mate who works in Betfred told me it was 3/1,points.(I think...it's all Greek to me,numbers).
Hoping Spence is going to be another Lacey.

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 27 May 2017, 6:32 am

AdamT wrote:So why exactly has Brook won the weigh in stare? Just seen a guy being overly pumped vs a calm guy.

Shades of Hatton vs Floyd in that weigh in.

Brook was was moving towards Spence and Spence backed down first. In fact even dropped his head looked down. Usually they are separated but they weren't. Not much of a victory but a small one none the less for me.

Like I said I'm favouring Spence so I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Just an honest observation nothing more.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:02 pm

This is set up to be a great fight and a rare one worth paying Sky for with Groves also going for a title, edging towards Brook by KO somewhere between 9 and 11 and Groves by decision in what will be a lively contest.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 12:02 pm

Everyone on here is edging to Brook.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:11 pm

It will be close that's for sure, to be honest though Brook proved what a chin he had against GGG and i can see him having to take some big shots here, but Spence doesn't carry the power of GGG and i can see Brook's counter punching, power and strength gradually working Spence over.

Last edited by hogey on Sat 27 May 2017, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sat 27 May 2017, 12:12 pm

AdamT wrote:I'd. Say you know plenty of school children

I'm keeping my son well away from West London.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 12:13 pm

I think the weight cut will affect Brook slightly. He has a great jaw, but I think Spence will target the body and knock the wind out of Brook.

Close fight, but Spence is fresh and he will step up. He might target that bad eye too. Definitely fancy a Spence stoppage.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 12:13 pm

Dylan1979 wrote:
AdamT wrote:I'd. Say you know plenty of school children

I'm keeping my son well away from West London.

I wouldn't blame you. Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:19 pm

You have to laugh at this site, adults are not allowed to swear for fear of causing offense to a load of us blokes who like to watch people punch each other in the face for a living, but everyday we have to read the same people having the same endless childish rows everyday with nearly every thread ruined by school playground bollox. FFS leaving it out and settle it with a game of conkers or Top Trumps because its getting really boring now.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:24 pm

AdamT wrote:I think the weight cut will affect Brook slightly. He has a great jaw, but I think Spence will target the body and knock the wind out of Brook.

Close fight, but Spence is fresh and he will step up. He might target that bad eye too. Definitely fancy a Spence stoppage.

The eye has Titanium around it so it will be stronger than the other one now. You might be right about the weight but Brook has been doing it a long time and looks to have managed it pretty well. I think Spence will get a hell of a shock when he feel just how strong Brook is and that might drain some confidence out of him, also that Ingle style will give Spence problems he has never faced before. This is one of those fight i genuinely cant wait to start could go either way, but i will be fully behind the Englishman.

Last edited by hogey on Sat 27 May 2017, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sat 27 May 2017, 12:25 pm

Too close to call. I'm leaning towards Brook. If the eye doesn't come into play and the weight loss doesn't affect him too much he should be too skilled for Jnr.

Be great to hear the excuses from all the Spence fanatics in the US if Brook wins. They've talked a lot of sh1t about Brook over the last year, be good to see Kell put on a performance.

I like Spence though, shame he's got one too many fools in his camp. Always comes across as a level headed guy who comes to fight.

No matter what happens tonight, I think we'll see these two in the ring again, prob's in the US. I think they both beat Thurman and Crawford if he moves up.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 12:25 pm

I had the same surgery. It's still dangerous. Though, no doubt Mr Brook will have had much better surgery than me.

Well I'm not English, so couldn't care who wins.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:30 pm

Don't worry RoboBrook's eye will be fine.
Good for you mate, i feel the same about Jocks and Taffs.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 27 May 2017, 12:36 pm

It's natural to hold your hands high and protect your eyes. So that and the fact it's got titanium in I don't think it will be a huge problem.

I agree about the weight cut. Yeah he showed a good chin against GGG but cutting 13lbs isn't going to help his punch resistance. Also his stamina which has been suspect in the past won't be helped either. I'm going Spence late ko or points. I think Brooks best chance is to get him out there in the first 6 rounds. Let's see...

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 27 May 2017, 12:44 pm

I think we all might be overestimating the weight issue, its easy to forget Brook started this training camp pretty much at the same weight he has always done for Welterweight matches over the last 4 years and actually seems to have got it spot on yet again. Brook didnt really become bigger for the GGG fight he just didn't have to cut so much as normal which might have given his body a needed break, one day it might catch up with him if he stays at Welterweight but i think he will has done it fairly comfortably this time and looks very fit and strong at the weight, not in the least drained.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sat 27 May 2017, 1:59 pm

I see Spence has become the firm favorite with the bookies (odds switched quite a bit over last 2 weeks).

Still torn and wouldn't be surprised with any method of victory for either.

I've put £10 on Brook to get knocked down and win @ 8/1 and £30 Spence by KO/TKO @ 7/4.

If i had to state one prediction i'd go Brook by points.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 3:43 pm

Body shots and being fresh will be the key in this fight. I think he has more natural ability, though Kell has the experience.

Brook is very good, but I think he runs out of gas and is pulled out before the end. Either that or the ref steps in.

Errol boxes well and wins early rounds, aiming for the body often. Brook gets back into the fight, but uses lots of energy around the mid rounds. He then gets stopped late, probably around 10 Or 11.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 27 May 2017, 4:02 pm

Like everybody, I wonder how much the GGG fight took out of brook. But, if he's anywhere near his best I fancy him to stop Spence.

His fight plan will be similar to the GGG fight, only have a lighter, less experienced and, probably, inferior opponent.

The two 'names' on Spence record were both light punchers. He could walk through them. Brook is anything but a light puncher and we know he is a tough sob with a good chin.

The only issue is how the GGG fight has affected him.

I agree Adam, Spence tactic has to be too target the body and exploit any weakness in conditioning.

We'll see on a few hours. I'm looking forward to a good night of boxing.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sat 27 May 2017, 4:30 pm

Good point Adam. Brook is very big WW and going up to MW will have added more muscle to boil down and won't help. The IBF re hydration rule post weigh ins will not help either.

Going with Brook but think both have the power to end it in the mid-to-late rounds.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 27 May 2017, 6:08 pm

I'm not saying I'm right. But Jones Jr suffered going back down. Granted he was dropping 20 pounds.

Hope it's a great fight, regardless who wins.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 May 2017, 12:44 pm

Plenty of welterweights have chanced their arm at Middle why should Brook be any different......

Maybe Brook just lost to a better fighter..........No evidence that the injury he suffered in the first GGG fight meant anything....

Hearn may have given him 5 million more than he would have got had he fought Spence first..

No one knows......Speculation.....

He lost...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 30 May 2017, 1:01 pm

Think Truss about sums it up , he had 9 months to get back down to Welter, he lost to a better more rounder fighter.

Is Khan v Brook still a stadium fight now ?

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 30 May 2017, 1:19 pm

I think it's still a fight which will do reasonably well over this side of the water, Rodney, because there's the old 'bad blood' angle and both guys have had big exposure now. But outside of these Isles it's probably just a 'who cares?' fight in the grand scheme of things, which wouldn't have been the case had it happened a couple of years back.

Can't say I'm too wired for it now. Khan is more or a part-time celeb, part-time boxer than anything else these days. He's fought once in the past two years, and even more frustratingly doesn't even seem to have anything lined up. I was sympathetic to how he and his team manoeuvred his career up until the Alvarez fight despite me thinking he had basically zero chance of winning it, but I can't offer any excuses for how he's handled things since. He'd barely peeled himself off the canvas against Canelo before he started pouring cold water over the idea of fighting Brook again and has spent most of his peak years waiting around when he should have been building on the excellent form he showed between 2009 and 2011. Was amazed the other day to think that six years has just flown by since those really impressive wins / performances against Maidana and Judah. Six years! He would have been a legitimate opponent for Mayweather at that point. Now he's not even a particularly impressive defence for a Welterweight alphabet title holder.

As for Brook, it might be down to bad luck in some sense, but unfortunately the naysayers are correct when they point out that his record is pretty shoddy for someone so highly rated in terms of talent, whose been a professional for thirteen years and who has been anointed the world's best Welter and a big favourite over Khan by some people. If Khan felt no great inclinations to fight him before, I don't see why things will change given that Brook's stock has taken a hit big time now.

This is why this stupid attitude that so many fans adopt of, 'Hey, this is business' or 'put the fight off for a while, let it grow bigger' does my head in so much. It just encourages the pathetic posturing which sees so many good fights go by the wayside or happen years too late when both men's stock has fallen and they're only accepting the fight because they've exhausted all other options and have nowhere else to go.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 May 2017, 1:42 pm

I'm not sure it is a huge stadium fight.....Brook has had the bad luck to have had to quit twice two fights in a row.....The rivalry with Khan isn't really Groves v Froch either...and Groves v Froch 1 was inside.... in an arena..

Neither are world champions and both have been well beaten in their last fights....

One of them needs a title for me....and Brook has to show that his face can hold up... by beating someone half decent in a warm up.....I don't question his heart.. but who wants to risk paying big money knowing his eye may go again.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 May 2017, 1:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not sure it is a huge stadium fight.....Brook has had the bad luck to have had to quit twice two fights in a row.....The rivalry with Khan isn't really Groves v Froch either...and Groves v Froch 1 was inside.... in an arena..

Neither are world champions and both have been well beaten in their last fights....

One of them needs a title for me....and Brook has to show that his face can hold up... by beating someone half decent in a warm up.....I don't question his heart.. but who wants to risk paying big money knowing his eye may go again.

It's still a stadium, but I think not a Wembley one. Though if it's promoted well, who knows? It definitely isn't as lucrative as it once was in my eyes. If it is to happen, it would need to be Brook's next fight.

I have been awfully critical of Khan. I think he has great attributes without really ever being a great fighter. I always fancied Kell to do a number on him. While I would still hold Kell favourite, it is probably a lot closer than I first thought. I would still like to see it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 30 May 2017, 1:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not sure it is a huge stadium fight.....Brook has had the bad luck to have had to quit twice two fights in a row.....The rivalry with Khan isn't really Groves v Froch either...and Groves v Froch 1 was inside.... in an arena..

Brook didn't quit his trainer threw in the towel

Its like saying that guy got knocked out, he quit

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 May 2017, 1:50 pm

A quit is a quit.........Doesn't matter if he did it.....Curry was pulled out against Honey..

Nitpicking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 May 2017, 1:54 pm

I think Brook was glad it was stopped. He was definitely going to quit at some stage.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 May 2017, 1:57 pm

AdamT wrote:I think Brook was glad it was stopped. He was definitely going to quit at some stage.

Based on what?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 May 2017, 2:07 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
AdamT wrote:I think Brook was glad it was stopped. He was definitely going to quit at some stage.

Based on what?

I won't debate with you.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 May 2017, 2:09 pm

You can't answer the question yet again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 May 2017, 2:14 pm

I can, just don't like debating you. A horrible person. Do you want me to share the pm you sent me?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 May 2017, 2:16 pm

You're not able to answer then Adam.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 May 2017, 2:17 pm

Not interested Hammer. You're a hypocrite. So kindly jog on!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 May 2017, 2:18 pm

Another comment plucked out of thin air with nothing to back it up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next