The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+20
navyblueshorts
pedro
superflyweight
Roller_Coaster
beninho
Diggers
westisbest
Davie
puligny
1GrumpyGolfer
kwinigolfer
dynamark
Hibbz
JAS
I'm never wrong
SmithersJones
MontysMerkin
Be_the_ball
Eyetoldyouso
raycastleunited
24 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Corbyn I guess.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:20 am

I used to like Listening to Keys and Gray.

Thought they were decent on MNF to.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:50 am

Diggers wrote:Just read that Ronaldo has 97 champions league goals, that is just phenomenal really, a lot of strikers don't manage 100 goals in their domestic leagues.

But in true Messi vs Ronaldo style, Lionel has 94 in 114 games and Ronnie has 97 in 136.

Both are clearly two of the greatest players ever and simply outstanding with their achievements.

Just out of interest i checked the European cup scoring records. Gerd Muller 35 golas in 34 games, considering the amount of games played then thats impressive. Di Stefano 49 in 58, even Van Nistelroy got 56 in 73.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:54 am

In other random Ronaldo facts,, apparently he doesn't have any tattoos as they would prevent him giving blood!
Apparently Ronaldo never scored in his first 30 champions league games Ben, Im sure Messi was less prolific when younger as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:58 am

The statistics on both are just immense. Its crazy to see how evenly matched they have been throughout.
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2244072.html

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:09 am

What surprised me is that Ronaldo "only" got 15 CL goals for Man Utd.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 13 Apr 2017, 2:19 pm

Still learning his trade then and wasn't an out and out striker or the focus of everything the rest of the team did, unlike most of his time in Spain. Where to be fair he's gone on to do an immense job and has been a galactico signing but with effort and dedication beyond most.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:48 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Still learning his trade then and wasn't an out and out striker or the focus of everything the rest of the team did, unlike most of his time in Spain. Where to be fair he's gone on to do an immense job and has been a galactico signing but with effort and dedication beyond most.

At the time, the £80m Madrid paid was crazy, but he's arguably the only player who has proved to be worth a galactico transfer fee.

EDIT: Zidane was worth his big fee (£50m?), if Suarez carries on he'll end up being good value for Barca, but not yet.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:55 pm

I saw Ronaldo's first appearance for Utd, substitute vs Bolton, if I remember correctly. Notable simply for the excitement in the crowd when it was obvious he was coming on. Can't think of a similar buzz for a teenage sub - or any sub - or for that matter any signing!! Really was extraordinary, and he never disappointed.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:11 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:Still learning his trade then and wasn't an out and out striker or the focus of everything the rest of the team did, unlike most of his time in Spain. Where to be fair he's gone on to do an immense job and has been a galactico signing but with effort and dedication beyond most.

At the time, the £80m Madrid paid was crazy, but he's arguably the only player who has proved to be worth a galactico transfer fee.

EDIT: Zidane was worth his big fee (£50m?), if Suarez carries on he'll end up being good value for Barca, but not yet.

Bale has done pretty well, especially if Real win La Liga this year.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Apr 2017, 4:21 pm

More people jumping on the "gorilla" offence bandwagon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39601728

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 14 Apr 2017, 8:22 pm

Super

Surely even the alt right types like yourself would just hope kelvin gets his comeuppance?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 15 Apr 2017, 7:27 am

How the hell it got past an editor is beyond me, both he and mckenzie should be sacked. Comparing soneone mixed race to a gorilla is not good, and this time its no slip or misunderstanding like guerilla. But to also make a snidey remark about all rich scousers being drug dealers or in prison is also not good, considering his previous. Especially when people still try and tell others to move on after hillsborough and the sun. Clearly they still like a dig at the people.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

McLaren wrote:Super

Surely even the alt right types like yourself would just hope kelvin gets his comeuppance?

I've no problem about him getting his comeuppance, but please let it be for something worthy of it, not this statement, which as usual people are blowing out of all proportion and acting as if it's a racial slur when it clearly wasn't.

The reference was clearly in regards to Barkely being short on brains and a knuckle dragging low intelligence footballer, nothing related to his bloody grandfather.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 15 Apr 2017, 9:43 am

It's pretty clear they didn't do their research and have made a monumental mistake, the fact they originally had a cartoon comparing a gorilla and Barkley is pretty low regardless.
The irony is it really shows up who the stupid parties are in this instance, the people who clearly are incompetent at their jobs.
I don't read the Sun so don't really care from that perspective , but his position with the paper does mean I have to put up with him occasionally being a Question Time guest where he gets to spout his toxic bile. Hopefully this will mean no more invitations.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:30 am

Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

I like Bale, he's done a good job at Madrid where his role is to support the star player, and then when he plays for Wales he shows his outstanding ability. But he's not justified £100m price tag yet. He is the heir apparent to Ronaldo (who is now 32), I wonder if he'll remain in Madrid for another few years to "fulfill his destiny".

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:13 am

That was a bit unexpected, May calling an election in June.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:15 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

I like Bale, he's done a good job at Madrid where his role is to support the star player, and then when he plays for Wales he shows his outstanding ability. But he's not justified £100m price tag yet. He is the heir apparent to Ronaldo (who is now 32), I wonder if he'll remain in Madrid for another few years to "fulfill his destiny".

I think that's a fair assessment Ray, though it's a tough ask to fill the shoes of maybe one of the top 10 players of all time, arguably top 5 even.
Good to see Rashford run Chelsea ragged yesterday, seen a few people write him off this season, still only 19 and progressing very nicely. There is no doubt Ibrahimovic is a great player, but he seriously slows up Man Utd's play. Taken "the special one" a long time to figure that out.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:16 am

I'm never wrong wrote:That was a bit unexpected, May calling an election in June.

She'd said she wouldn't do it...so not that unexpected really!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:29 am

Diggers wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:That was a bit unexpected, May calling an election in June.

Indeed. Nothing like the firm will of a politician being 180'd.

She's got a point though. It's not her mandate, she's having to work through pretty major national, constitutional and international issues with an unsuitable majority. That and the current 20 point lead in the polls over the Opposition...

Certainly interesting if nothing else. I wonder if Corbyn et al will come out pro-EU to give them any chance although defeat (if it is) is probably the only chance Labour have of getting their house remotely in order.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:44 am

Corbyn now has to run an unplanned general election campaign, this would be funny if he wasn't the main opposition on the left.

I am also not sure how this works for the snp? I assume they are still popular enough to win nearly all the seats in Scotland.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:46 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
Diggers wrote:

She's got a point though. It's not her mandate, she's having to work through pretty major national, constitutional and international issues with an unsuitable majority. That and the current 20 point lead in the polls over the Opposition...

Certainly interesting if nothing else. I wonder if Corbyn et al will come out pro-EU to give them any chance although defeat (if it is) is probably the only chance Labour have of getting their house remotely in order.

Labour need to focus on putting their policies- which people like -to the forefront, instead of constant in fighting. Whether the Labour PLP like it or not Corbyn is fighting the election so they should back him.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:02 pm

I want to hide for six weeks. It will be a horror show, Labour will be a shambles, the Lib dems will do ok. And the Torys will clean up, we will then have 5 years of the government saying they have a mandate for whatever brexit they want, which will in all likelihood be disastrous.

Really not looking forward to this.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

Diggers wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Labour need to focus on putting their policies- which people like -to the forefront, instead of constant in fighting. Whether the Labour PLP like it or not Corbyn is fighting the election so they should back him.

You're right, they do. But I genuinely don't think they are capable of putting aside their seemingly childish petulance. Potentially the most interesting election I'll have seen. I wonder if there are sufficient protest votes within the big 2 that won't be cast for the other (for example a "usual" Tory voter protesting against them but still unwilling to vote for Labour) to make any third way a viable alternative this time? Probably not, but I do expect larger numbers voting for alternative parties, even if not in sufficiently large numbers to actually win seats.

Does anyone think parliament will look markedly different on 9 June?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm

I think Labour will do OK, I'm hopeful but time will tell. I genuinely think May and Hammond are an incredibly weak pairing with no real set policy (bar making sure anything needing funding will not get any) , just a lot of pragmatic rhetoric.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday and, along with my new Taylor Mades, I received an Alexa. Was really cynical about them but have to say for music alone it's really cool, has played every song I have asked it to find and is keeping my kids entertained with jokes.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Got the wife an Alexa for christmas, mainly used for music, which is good, or to confirm the weather in staffordshire!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:48 pm

Have you used the audio books Ben, I thought that could be good for the kids.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 18 Apr 2017, 1:07 pm

we havent used those yet, my son loves the fact that you can get it to play kids songs and theme tunes. He keeps shouting for ALexa to play Blaze and the Monster Machines!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 18 Apr 2017, 5:51 pm

beninho wrote:I want to hide for six weeks.
Me too Ben. I am going to have to unfollow a few people on Facebook as they are just too much.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Apr 2017, 6:39 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
Me too Ben. I am going to have to unfollow a few people on Facebook as they are just too much.

You could come to the States where the general election campaign goes on for two years . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Apr 2017, 8:45 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:

You could come to the States where the general election campaign goes on for two years . . . . . . . .

And then when it's finished it is dragged out further when it turns out you need a recount or some pesky Russians have tapped up the winning side.

As for the UK GE, I is hard to imagine just how bad the quality of the debate will be. Hiding seems like a good option.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

Maybe the Russians will help the Greens win Mac?

With the way politics and weird results have gone lately though, might put £50 quid on Jeremy Sheep Face Corbyn winning.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 19 Apr 2017, 8:45 am

I see May is bottling having a TV debate. Just the same way as she played it safe over Brexit, for me she really represents everything bad about a politician and party first politics. It won't happen but it would be great if this decision massively backfired.
I know Corbyn gets stick on his stance on Europe (including from me) but the fact is that the whole Brexit situation we are in came about because of the Tory party looking to protect its position. How come that gets forgotten and Corbyn's views are constantly talked about?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:25 am

Diggers wrote:I see May is bottling having a TV debate. Just the same way as she played it safe over Brexit, for me she really represents everything bad about a politician and party first politics. It won't happen but it would be great if this decision massively backfired.
I know Corbyn gets stick on his stance on Europe (including from me) but the fact is that the whole Brexit situation we are in came about because of the Tory party looking to protect its position. How come that gets forgotten and Corbyn's views are constantly talked about?

Because Rupert Murdoch who owns the majority of the press in the UK dictates the narrative.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

May does not come accross well on TV at all. She does not seem to be answering anything honestly already. The whole thing is horrendous. The front of the Mail, Sun and Express tell you who is pushing the agenda, and gullable people lap it up, thinking Brexit is good even while they see that the NHS is in a mess, cost of living is increasing food costs, rent costs. Public services are being cut to shreds, yet the Tory party will walk the election!

Corbyn speaks some sense, but will not win people over, and even if he goes, the labour members will elect another leftist leader who will not win an election.

I do think the Lib dems will do ok as the only party against brexit, hopefully Clegg comes back they just better not get involved in another coalition.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:39 am

I'm in a Tory seat, my vote will go to Lid Dem or Labour depending on who is likely to challenge the Tories most here.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:58 am

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/29844/Ruislip-Northwood-and-Pinner-constituency-results-2015

This tells you what I am up against! Its barely worth voting.

Though the other constituencies in my area our like total opposites

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/29845/Uxbridge-and-South-Ruislip-constituency-results-2015

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/29843/Hayes-and-Harlington-constituency-results-2015

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 19 Apr 2017, 1:22 pm

Although it is deepest suburbia, Ruislip-Northwood-Pinner in my mind is still quite an ethnically / culturally diverse place to live relative to most of the UK.

Where do you play your golf Ben? I used to be a member at Haste Hill, but my favourite courses in the area are Sandy Lodge and Moor Park.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 19 Apr 2017, 1:47 pm

I would agree with the ethnically diverse, but pretty well set. Also lots of old people that have lived in the area forever. Tory fodder. Nice place though, I've lived in Eastcote area for best part of 15 years.

Used to play Haste Hill quite a bit when I was younger, always hated the first tee nerves! But not played it for years. Never played Sandy Lodge or Moor Park, always thought of them as well above my hacker status. I do like Pinner Hill though, and Ive played Northwood once but that was a while back. Usual courses i play tend to be Richings Park or Wycombe Heights. More my standard!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 19 Apr 2017, 3:13 pm

Theresa May lives a short walk away from me, in her constituency, I am right on the border of the next constituency, but it's the same flavour.......

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 19 Apr 2017, 3:15 pm

not on the Slough side then INW?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 19 Apr 2017, 3:23 pm

beninho wrote:not on the Slough side then INW?
Correct.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Apr 2017, 6:33 pm

Diggers wrote:I see May is bottling having a TV debate. Just the same way as she played it safe over Brexit, for me she really represents everything bad about a politician and party first politics. It won't happen but it would be great if this decision massively backfired.

I don't really think we need a debate, we don't need to Americanise everything. None of the previous debates have really made any difference or helped to explain policies any better and I don't  even really they have captured the public imagination either. More people watch bloody Bake Off.

The thing I despise about the whole thing is the sniffy, sneaky little cretins from the SNP, always sniping that May doesn't have an mandate to govern, yet criticising her for calling an election. I hope they (Scottish Nazi Party) get trounced in Scotland, but unfortunately there's too many anti English morons here who will vote for them on the basis of "getting away from Westminster" and not enough decent opposition parties, especially when people like Mac waste their votes on dross like the Green party.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 19 Apr 2017, 7:43 pm

I would just like an honest politician, but that's an oxymoron, and I am dreaming.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:29 am

I'm never wrong wrote:I would just like an honest politician, but that's an oxymoron, and I am dreaming.

I think Corbyn is honest, often to his detriment.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

Thats the problem, the honest ones are the ones people tend to dislike vocally. Sometimes due to them being honest! Le Pen in France is honest with her hatred towards foreigners and homosexuals its not a always a good thing!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:04 am

beninho wrote:Thats the problem, the honest ones are the ones people tend to dislike vocally. Sometimes due to them being honest! Le Pen in France is honest with her hatred towards foreigners and homosexuals its not a always a good thing!

I'd say her father was open and honest (and vile). She less so, far more media savvy and uses a very different tone to deliver exactly the same message. It's this disingenuous rhetoric that will win over some people and makes her a threat.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:09 am

super_realist wrote:

I don't really think we need a debate, we don't need to Americanise everything. None of the previous debates have really made any difference or helped to explain policies any better and I don't  even really they have captured the public imagination either. More people watch bloody Bake Off.

The thing I despise about the whole thing is the sniffy, sneaky little cretins from the SNP, always sniping that May doesn't have an mandate to govern, yet criticising her for calling an election. I hope they (Scottish Nazi Party) get trounced in Scotland, but unfortunately there's too many  anti English morons here who will vote for them on the basis of "getting away from Westminster" and not enough decent opposition parties, especially when people like Mac waste their votes on dross like the Green party.

Well, bake off is hugely popular so not sure why that's a good comparison. I don't agree (with pretty much any of your post), it's an opportunity for the voters to see each leader put on the spot. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
It would be nuts for the SNP not to point out she has made a complete volte face, it highlights her for what she is, a pragmatic opportunist completely lacking in substance.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:51 am

Super

Why do you hate the SNP so much?

The main reason I don't like them is their focus on nationalism and lack of clarity on what their other core beliefs are. At the moment they are just a popularist party who tailor policies other than nationalism to limit any damage to the independence cause.

The wee cybernat followers are currently conned into preying for a SNP socialist haven. Aye right. In the end it is hard to imagine how anyone can stomach Scottish jingoism.

I also think it used to be a bit of a Salmond personality cult.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 20 Apr 2017, 1:45 pm

Diggers wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:I would just like an honest politician, but that's an oxymoron, and I am dreaming.

I think Corbyn is honest, often to his detriment.

Honest Jim Corbyn, man of the people, recording a video sitting on the floor of a train saying there's no seats. And then the train company release footage showing a load of empty seats...

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next