The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

+87
Poorfour
Gwlad
Fanster
majesticimperialman
wolfball
exile jack
catchweight
Anglobraveheart
nathan
Hazel Sapling
westisbest
Northgrill
David-Douglas
LeinsterFan4life
milkyboy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Sgt_Pooly
Maine man
whocares
alfie
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
Exiledinborders
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
nlpnlp
lostinwales
sensisball
RiscaGame
Not grey and not a ghost
zombiesurvivalman
fa0019
The Great Aukster
Cyril
emack2
Kingshu
Recwatcher16
Rugby Fan
SamTheQuin
Hoonercat
No9
beshocked
chris_501
Pete330v2
marty2086
rodders
Hood83
LordDowlais
Rory_Gallagher
englandglory4ever
cb
screamingaddabs
WELL-PAST-IT
RDW
Hammersmith harrier
eirebilly
kingelderfield
compelling and rich
Ozzy3213
Engine#4
wayne
carpet baboon
TJ
R!skysports
Mad for Chelsea
Dragon1908
yappysnap
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGermsV2
geoff999rugby
BamBam
mid_gen
Scottrf
cascough
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
Comfort
LondonTiger
EST
Breadvan
robbo277
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
No 7&1/2
RuggerRadge2611
Gooseberry
George Carlin
91 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Empty NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Jun 2017, 7:45 am

First topic message reminder :

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 All_bl10                   NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Lions_12
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS  
1 July 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
WESTPAC Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington

Live on Sky Sports HD

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
ARs: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

39 Played 39
30 Won 6
3 Drawn 3
6 Lost 30
664 Points 360

B. Recent Form

24 June 2017
Eden Park, Auckland
30 – 15 to New Zealand

9 July 2005 
Eden Park, Auckland 
38 – 19 to New Zealand 

2 July 2005 
Westpac Stadium, Wellington 
48 – 18 to New Zealand

25 June 2005 
Lancaster Park, Christchurch 
21 – 3 to New Zealand

3 July 1993 
Eden Park, Auckland 
30 – 13 to New Zealand 

26 June 1993 
Athletic Park, Wellington 
7 – 20 to British & Irish Lions

12 June 1993 
20 – 18 to New Zealand

16 July 1983 
Eden Park, Auckland 
38 – 6 to New Zealand

2 July 1983 
Carisbrook, Dunedin 
15 – 8 to New Zealand

18 June 1983 
Athletic Park (Wellington), Wellington 
9 – 0 to New Zealand

4 June 1983 
16 – 12 to New Zealand

C. TEAMS:

NEW ZEALAND
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Kirean10
[tbc]

BRITISH & IRISH LIONS  
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Muppet10
[tbc]
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Empty Re: NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 9:53 am

Gooseberry wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:This is a good read (once you ignore the clickbait headline) https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/94261141/lions-prop-mako-vunipola-says-he-did-grab-owen-franks-testicles-in-first-test

Some pretty rubbish journalism, he supported the ABs because he watched them and loved them mainly because of Lomu and the great

New Zealand-born, Wales-raised, England prop of Tongan descent

Reporter writes down something player said shocker
Wink

No he made a conclusion based on that statement, I loved the ABs and watched but it doesn't mean I supported them Rolling Eyes

Err the conlcussion was based on Makos statement which is quaoted belwo it in which he says exactly that.

I think its justifiable to jump to conslussions based on what people say about themselves.

Where does he say he supported them?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 9 Empty Re: NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 9:55 am

Unless it's changed it doesn't say it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 30 Jun 2017, 9:59 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Unless it's changed it doesn't say it.

It does talk about his "years as an ABs fan". Which frankly isn't an unreasonable conclusion from "When I was growing up I admit I used to watch the All Blacks and be in love with them".

Just Marty over-reacting. Nothing new there.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Yeah someone farted under the sheets

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Bit of a stretch that.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Mako is emack and I claim my five pounds.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

It does talk about his "years as an ABs fan". Which frankly isn't an unreasonable conclusion from "When I was growing up I admit I used to watch the All Blacks and be in love with them".

Hardly an overreaction, who didn't love watching that team? Well except for Mike Catt

As stated I was the same as Mako, doesn't mean I supported them

That conclusion was in conjunction with the pretty pathetic NZ born crapola he came off with

Typical Kiwi arrogance and trying to run others down

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:11 am

You're typical marty

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:13 am

ebop wrote:You're typical marty

Erm

Yeah that makes loads of sense, well argued clap

You get that from a 5 year old?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:14 am

So are we getting another two pages of bickering over something rather inconsequential?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:15 am

marty2086 wrote:

Hardly an overreaction, who didn't love watching that team? Well except for Mike Catt

As stated I was the same as Mako, doesn't mean I supported them

That conclusion was in conjunction with the pretty pathetic NZ born crapola he came off with

Typical Kiwi arrogance and trying to run others down

And you can be a fan without being a supporter Marty - you're jumping to conclusions up on that high horse.

Mako was born in Wellington - true fact. And he was back in Wellington for the first time in years - the reporter's doing a nice wee segue on it. It's also true that he has a Welsh accent - I'm sorry if that upsets you. The article also rightly dismisses that whole squirrel grip thing as a nothing incident that only the worst NZ fans (we have our share, just like everyone else) have tried to make anything of.

Typical Irish Marty histrionics over nothing. picard
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

LondonTiger wrote:So are we getting another two pages of bickering over something rather inconsequential?
marty overbeating the egg again

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

LondonTiger wrote:So are we getting another two pages of bickering over something rather inconsequential?

Seems so, apparently you can't point out bad journalism from a Kiwi now

We can add it to high hits, spear tackles, offside, going off your feet and ABs not being born in NZ

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

ebop wrote:

I pointed out the shoddy journalism that contradicted the original post of it being a good read, forgot the angry pack mentality of the Kiwis Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:18 am

marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

I pointed out the shoddy journalism that contradicted the original post of it being a good read, forgot the angry pack mentality of the Kiwis Rolling Eyes
laughing laughing laughing
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:20 am

marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

You sucked the fun out of a humorous story

Good work

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:21 am

angel Hug cake rose guinness Whisky

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

Good work

thumbsup

I thought it was the Kiwi oversensitivity to criticism that did that

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

Lol this forum is embarrassing sometimes. What are people arguing about again? Whether Mako supported NZ when he was growing up? Yawn.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

Good work

thumbsup

Actually, I think you'll find that most people that are doing the picard thing are thinking 'who the f**k cares who Mako supported as a five year old kid'

marty does

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:48 am

ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

Good work

thumbsup

Actually, I think you'll find that most people that are doing the picard thing are thinking 'who the f**k cares who Mako supported as a five year old kid'

marty does

I don't give a £uck who he supported, merely pointing out the trash reporting Rolling Eyes that's why I highlighted the NZ born, Welsh raised.... line too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

Good work

thumbsup

marty does

I don't give a £uck who he supported, merely pointing out the trash reporting Rolling Eyes that's why I highlighted the NZ born, Welsh raised.... line too
Good for you

And still no one cares

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:50 am

ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

Good work

thumbsup

marty does

Good for you

And still no one cares

thumbsup

Really? Yet you and others seemed too

Funny that Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:17 am

Apparently there is quite an important game of rugby union football at the weekend. I almost forgot about it whilst reading this load of drivel covering the previous two pages of this thread.
Could we possibly get back to discussing the game, or it that too much to ask until nurse Ratchet applies the appropriate medication to those concerned in the previous riveting conversation about Mako's early tv watching habits ?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:32 am

marty2086 wrote:
ebop wrote:

laughing laughing laughing

Especially that Devil Kiwi guy who is rouge. He is always angry and I am sure he moves around in a pack, they can it a bevy of devils

Last edited by R!skysports on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:50 am

sensisball wrote:Apparently there is quite an important game of rugby union football at the weekend.

Are you sure? I seem to be unable to find any evidence of such a game

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

It's true. USA vs canada. WC place up for grabs.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 12:34 pm

NO Cyril there is only one EMACK 2 your worst nightmare laughing
be afraid,be very afraid furious As to the Lions give it a go you`ve
nothing to lose.
Fact losing 1966 Lions side was better than the winning 1971 side,
BUT the ABs 1963-8 was among the best AB side EVER,the 1970`s
sides were among the weaker ones see results for proof of that.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Jun 2017, 12:39 pm

emack2 wrote:NO Cyril there is only one EMACK 2 your worst nightmare laughing
be afraid,be very afraid furious As to the Lions give it a go you`ve
nothing to lose.
Fact losing 1966 Lions side was better than the winning 1971 side,
BUT the ABs 1963-8 was among the best AB side EVER,the 1970`s
sides were among the weaker ones see results for proof of that.

Speaking of '71, it's worth tracking down footage of Ian Kirkpatrick's try against the Lions in the second Test. I don't know how many players he beats, but it's ridiculous.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Jun 2017, 1:11 pm

Having re-watched the 1st test again this morning, I continue to find it absolutely astonishing that AWJ is not only retained in the match day squad but is a starter.

Both him and Kruis were poor and there are 3 better in form locks in the squad in Itoje, Lawes and Henderson. I simply cannot see any reason for his inclusion.

Warburton in for POM with POM dropping out of the matchday 23 is harsh on POM but it is not a drop in quality as Warburton is an excellent player in his own right.

The selection of Sexton and Farrell at 10-12 is a massive mistake in my mind. Te'o has been excellent and has linked up very well with Davies. Farrell is a solid defender but he is nowhere near as strong as Te'o and SBW may have a field day there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 1:17 pm

emack2 wrote:Fact losing 1966 Lions side was better than the winning 1971 side.

Opinion, not fact.

It is my opinion that you are wrong. Campbell-Lamerton was a major weakness, the likes of Willie John and Mike Gibson were better players by 71 than in 66, and the 71 team includes far more all time greats (though admittedly some were early in their careers).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 1:28 pm

eirebilly wrote:Having re-watched the 1st test again this morning, I continue to find it absolutely astonishing that AWJ is not only retained in the match day squad but is a starter.

Both him and Kruis were poor and there are 3 better in form locks in the squad in Itoje, Lawes and Henderson. I simply cannot see any reason for his inclusion.

Warburton in for POM with POM dropping out of the matchday 23 is harsh on POM but it is not a drop in quality as Warburton is an excellent player in his own right.

The selection of Sexton and Farrell at 10-12 is a massive mistake in my mind. Te'o has been excellent and has linked up very well with Davies. Farrell is a solid defender  but he is nowhere near as strong as Te'o and SBW may have a field day there.

It is harsh on POM as it wasnt a bad shift but something had to give, we were dominated in the forwards. SOB and Faletau were lucky to survive the chop probably only because they are more physical than POM.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 1:50 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Having re-watched the 1st test again this morning, I continue to find it absolutely astonishing that AWJ is not only retained in the match day squad but is a starter.

The selection of Sexton and Farrell at 10-12 is a massive mistake in my mind. Te'o has been excellent and has linked up very well with Davies. Farrell is a solid defender  but he is nowhere near as strong as Te'o and SBW may have a field day there.

It is harsh on POM as it wasnt a bad shift but something had to give, we were dominated in the forwards. SOB and Faletau were lucky to survive the chop probably only because they are more physical than POM.

I have to agree that POM is unlucky, but I didn't see him being as big a nuisance as he can be. Let's be honest, we need 9 or 10 out of 10 performances across the board to beat this NZ side. I hope that tomorrow ends with a Lions win, whoever stars, from whatever nation.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:01 pm

The opinion was that of Colin Meads who played against both sides,Campbell
-lamerton was captain because of tradition.
Winning Home Nations captain if selected were named Lions captains,Alun
Pask may have been the preferred Captain otherwise.
Mike Gibson was THE best 10 in N H maybe even the world in1971,Barry
John?he was a footnote between Dai Watkins and Phil Bennett.
THE great Welsh side?they were given a bath in 1969 in NZ,Wales and
France were THE leading sides in 1970`s.France won several v NZ
Wales didn't in that decade.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

A few stats:

* The Lions made more clean breaks than the All Blacks in the first Test (15 to 12) despite having just 38% of overall possession.

* The Lions haven't won the second Test of a three-match series since their successful tour of South Africa in 1997.

* The All Blacks have a handy winning record at Westpac Stadium. Their last loss there was at the hands of Sir Clive Woodward's England in 2003.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/preview?gameId=290602&league=268565

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:19 pm

433 posts so far, with less than 10% relating to tomorrow's game.

What needs to happen for the Lions to pull off a shock win?

1) NZ to be off colour
2) French ref to favour Lions scrummage
3) Lions to dominate teh breakdown (again aybe with help of NH interpretations?)
4) Itoje to steal some lineout.
5) Lions to take all their chances.

Is that enough?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:19 pm

The Lions have also played nicer rugby and scored nicer tries than all sides except the Blues.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:20 pm

LondonTiger wrote:433 posts so far, with less than 10% relating to tomorrow's game.

1) NZ to be off colour
3) Lions to dominate teh breakdown (again aybe with help of NH interpretations?)

Is that enough?

They need to dominate the gainline and breakdown. They also need to be on point for 80 minutes in defence.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:22 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:A few stats:

* The Lions made more clean breaks than the All Blacks in the first Test (15 to 12) despite having just 38% of overall possession.

* The Lions haven't won the second Test of a three-match series since their successful tour of South Africa in 1997.

* The All Blacks have a handy winning record at Westpac Stadium. Their last loss there was at the hands of Sir Clive Woodward's England in 2003.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/preview?gameId=290602&league=268565

Should perhaps add:

Turnovers conceded - NZ 14, B&IL 22
Penalties Conceded - NZ 7, B&IL 11

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:23 pm

Need to revers those two stats to have any hope. You would never see that with a Joe Schmidt coached side.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:The Lions have also played nicer rugby and scored nicer tries than all sides except the Blues.
Laumape's try for the 'Canes was pretty handy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:34 pm

For the Lions to beat the AB's tomorrow dominance in the set pieces is a must and parity at least at the breakdown. The line out has been good but the scrum has been poor.

The backline has already proven in the first test just how dangerous they can be but I am very concerned about the 10-12 idea. Farrell and Sexton will have to put in a very solid shift tomorrow against SBW who will certainly target them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

LondonTiger wrote:433 posts so far, with less than 10% relating to tomorrow's game.

1) NZ to be off colour

Is that enough?

Alun Wyn Jones to get locked in the bathroom

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

BamBam wrote:

1) NZ to be off colour

Is that enough?

Alun Wyn Jones to get locked in the bathroom

Meaning a promotion to the starting XV for Cory Hill, who puts in a man-of-the-match performance and has a bottle of champagne handed to him by Brian O'Driscoll. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

eirebilly wrote:For the Lions to beat the AB's tomorrow dominance in the set pieces is a must and parity at least at the breakdown. The line out has been good but the scrum has been poor.

The backline has already proven in the first test just how dangerous they can be but I am very concerned about the 10-12 idea. Farrell and Sexton will have to put in a very solid shift tomorrow against SBW who will certainly target them.

Sexton & Farrell can tackle. Maybe SBW won't be smashed like Te'o might have, but he probably won't make breaks. OTOH he may get the odd offload off, especially as given Warburton's presence NZ may opt not to repeat the pass-inside tactic from last week, and have SBW looking to offload in the tackle to a supporting runner instead. With a specialist 12 in Laumape on the bench I expect SBW is going to be getting the ball a lot in the first 50 minutes.

Set piece wise in the lineout, the ABs have 4 jumpers (Whitelock, Retallick, Read, Kaino) vs the Lions' 2, and Whitelock & Retallick have 2-3 inches height advantage on the Lions' locks - I'd expect NZ to be targeting the Lions' lineout, especially as it's been an area of strength for them over the past year or 2

Scrumwise, last week NZ showed that just because they don't normally scrum for penalties doesn't mean they can't do it. NH teams have spent the past decade talking about dominating the NZ scrum. It very seldom happens.

Normally NZ are quite happy to kick ball to opposition back 3s, in the expectation that it will be kicked back, and offer up counterattack opportunities in broken field. This Lions back 3 is pretty handy itself on the counter (and NZ's chase line was a bit uneven & found out last week), so I'd expect NZ's kicking to be aimed more for touch to attack the lineout - the obvious Lions' counter is to take more quick throw ins.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 30 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

The 10 12 idea seems like a bit of a hail Mary from Gatland at this stage. He hasnt really tried them out enough together plus T'eo was playing well. There seems to be a real reluctance to drop Farrell.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Jun 2017, 3:36 pm

Sexton & Farrell can tackle. Maybe SBW won't be smashed like Te'o might have, but he probably won't make breaks. OTOH he may get the odd offload off, especially as given Warburton's presence NZ may opt not to repeat the pass-inside tactic from last week, and have SBW looking to offload in the tackle to a supporting runner instead. With a specialist 12 in Laumape on the bench I expect SBW is going to be getting the ball a lot in the first 50 minutes.

They are both solid defenders but I feel that SBW will target them relentlessly early on and that will have a tiring effect on them and may stifle their attacking play. With Te'o there, SBW was kept fairly quiet and Farrell protected.

Now I am not saying that Te'o is only worth his spot for his defensive capabilities, far from it, I think he has been excellent in attack as well and looked to link up with Davies. The 10/12 positioning was not where the Lions lost the first test. The first test was lost in the forwards with both AWJ and Kruis being totally dominated so I do not see the reason to change that the 10/12.

I would start with Itoje and Lawes. Lawes will give the AB's 9 and 10 a terrible time which is exactly the way to pressure the AB's in my mind. I would have Henderson on the bench as well as an impact sub around the 60min mark.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 30 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

eirebilly wrote:For the Lions to beat the AB's tomorrow dominance in the set pieces is a must and parity at least at the breakdown. The line out has been good but the scrum has been poor.

Set piece wise in the lineout, the ABs have 4 jumpers (Whitelock, Retallick, Read, Kaino) vs the Lions' 2, and Whitelock & Retallick have 2-3 inches height advantage on the Lions' locks - I'd expect NZ to be targeting the Lions' lineout, especially as it's been an area of strength for them over the past year or 2

Scrumwise, last week NZ showed that just because they don't normally scrum for penalties doesn't mean they can't do it. NH teams have spent the past decade talking about dominating the NZ scrum. It very seldom happens.

Normally NZ are quite happy to kick ball to opposition back 3s, in the expectation that it will be kicked back, and offer up counterattack opportunities in broken field. This Lions back 3 is pretty handy itself on the counter (and NZ's chase line was a bit uneven & found out last week), so I'd expect NZ's kicking to be aimed more for touch to attack the lineout - the obvious Lions' counter is to take more quick throw ins.

Pete, this past 6N Wales used all our back row as lineout options, Moriarty started because Faletau was injured, because he played so well he kept Toby out, the main options were AWJ and Tipuric, even Warburton was used IIRC a few times. The previous season Faletau was the Tipuric option he was used extensively, so tomorrow we should have 4 options as well.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 30 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:The 10 12 idea seems like a bit of a hail Mary from Gatland at this stage. He hasnt really tried them out enough together plus T'eo was playing well. There seems to be a real reluctance to drop Farrell.

Problem is if we had vintage Sexton there would be no argument, but he isn't as good as he used to be and Farrell is better than he was last Lions tour.

Still what do I know. I thought SOB was finished...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 30 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

I think the Lions tactic tomorrow is going to be to kick it as high and as often as possible - for which having 3 kickers at 9, 10 and 12 helps. The Lions are not going to beat the All Blacks at the scrum or line out - if we get somewhere near parity I will be happy (taking into account Mako cannot scrummage). Alun Wyn and Maro are presumably the two strongest scrummaging second rows, hence their selection.

As for SBW you either need to close him down on the gain line before he gets going, or you try and pick off the offloads.

I hope the referee picks up on the All Blacks being offside at every ruck and maul, unlike in the Hurricanes game which was a joke. But they are up so quickly and do it so well collectively that they get away with it. Sour grapes I know, as they are much the better team (and if we were good enough to get away with it I would be happy), but it is annoying.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next