The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+22
I'm never wrong
navyblueshorts
westisbest
raycastleunited
pedro
NedB-H
McLaren
wiretapper
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
Davie
dynamark
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
Mad for Chelsea
Plunky
Hibbz
puligny
SmithersJones
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
26 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stoke have spent 10 years in the premier league, they are bottom 3 and dumped out the cup by coventry. The perspy is that they are an established prem team, hughes has them shipping goals, not scoring and being certainties for relegation. They have spent big money on wimmer who has struggled, imbula who is out on loan and berahino who cant score, bojan is well paid and on the bench for alaves. Stoke fans have perspective, hughes had no clues. Surprised he stayed this long.

My family are potters!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

I recall when a foul was a foul and a deliberate act had to have taken place. Sometimes im unsure what a foul is nowadays. You hear people talking about contact being a foul. But who often do you see a player get tugged, pulled or tripped and stays up, yet doesn't get a free kick. Players that exaggerate the contact get a free kick. Is it wrong, I don't know, it is part of the game though and I don't see it changing.

Unfortunately years of watching football has got me used to tge things that happen, and I take it as part of the modern game. Football is mow quicker, faster and more skillful then before,it is also played by players who cheat and managers who moan. The pundits and tv shows dont help, and the hype on sky or bt is horrible, fans are blinkered and idiotic in many ways.

Still bloody love it though. Chairboys away at Notts County in top of the table league 2 clash today.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Fri 30 Mar 2018, 2:01 pm

Where are this boards golf rules fascists when it comes to football???

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:02 pm

Diggers wrote:You really do know nothing, the put in laws were changed this year and are now actively monitored and called. Do you actually keep up to date with anything?
You said cheating is cheating, I give you examples, they aren't cheating apparently. Only breaking the rules...the point is I can see they are all cheating but am in possession of nuance.
You on the other hand are without doubt utterly without any sense of nuance or balance, it's apparent in pretty much every argument you make.
For the record it isn't obvious to tell a dive from a trip, it is obvious to tell some dives from some trips. That does not make diving anything like ball tampering.

That might be the case, but the referee NEVER does anything about it. When in the last 10 years have you ever seen a scrum reset because of a squint put in? It simply doesn't happen.
There's a massive amount of tolerance for how much the ball varies off the straight in both scrum put in, and line outs. It's hardly cheating when the officials do nothing to stop squint put ins. I would think this would be exactly the same as diving were the governing bodies actively doing anything other than window dressing. Nothing is ever done to address it, perhaps a really blatant line out, but the whole concept of a line out is retarded and stupid anyway.

Diving, for it being a deliberate act to con the referee is every bit the same as damaging a ball to get your desired outcome.

Nobody dives accidently or marks a ball accidently, you can throw a line out ball accidently.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:29 pm

It's not might be the case, it is the case.
Watch some rugby, I've seen it called this season several times and I don't watch much rugby (though clearly enough to be far better informed than you), they used the video ref to check its straight in the 6 nations (shoulder position of the put in dictating the marginal advantage the rules allow), so the rule change has made a massive difference.
To revamp your cheating  analagy, the difference between diving and ball tampering is like seeing a chance for a quick snog at an office party compared to getting a few mates together, planning a gang bang,  calling some hookers and then having an orgy. No comparison.
You are clearly obsessed with diving, I'll add it to your lengthy foible list.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:51 pm

I remember when srealist claimed he didn't like or really care for football or footballers. Now he is big in the referee scene with his strong and forthright views on diving. Now he has views on ball tampering, are you a big fan of cricket mr realist?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 31 Mar 2018, 8:34 am

Not at all, but it's easy to tell when someone is cheating and diving and ball tampering are both despicable types of cheating that should both be punished more harshly.

As for putting a squint ball in during a scrum, I watched pretty much the entire 6 nations, and not once did I see a straight ball go in or the referee reset the scrum for that "offence". It simply doesn't happen.

I'm talking about the "BALL" going in straight Diggers, not someones bloody shoulders.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

Apparently you watch a lot of sport, when it's required for you to become an expert. I can't believe you watched the 6 nations and didnt know about the new rule changes, they were mentioned and explained several times. It's also apparent you haven't even read them now to actually understand the change. Badly informed and lazy.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 31 Mar 2018, 1:03 pm

Mane just got booked for a dive, he was touched but he did dive. I'm fibe with the yellow card. But looking on twitter, some people including journalists think it was a pen. Funny old game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 31 Mar 2018, 2:09 pm

pedro wrote:Where are this boards golf rules fascists when it comes to football???
Who cares?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 31 Mar 2018, 3:29 pm

Diggers wrote:Apparently you watch a lot of sport, when it's required for you to become an expert. I can't believe you watched the 6 nations and didnt know about the new rule changes, they were mentioned and explained several times. It's also apparent you haven't even read them now to actually understand the change. Badly informed and lazy.
Diggers, you don't have to watch every match of every sport to see the sort of things I'm talking about.

You're right, I didn't get the memo about the changes to the laws. (if you watched rugby, you'd know they're laws, not rules Diggers) but in any event, they might as well not have bothered, seeing as both scrum and line out put ins are consistently squint, making them worthless as set pieces. Nothing has effectively changed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 31 Mar 2018, 3:54 pm

Whatever. If your excuse for not knowing something has changed is pretending that nothing has changed, there really is no point engaging in debate.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 31 Mar 2018, 4:04 pm

Three examples from this season of a law alteration that changed nothing...

Referee Pascal Gauzere penalised both Wales and Scotland for not putting the ball in straight in the opening game of the Six Nations while Nigel Owens penalised France for a crooked feed against Ireland

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 31 Mar 2018, 4:13 pm

Nothing has changed Diggers other than the written form of the law. 10/10 scrums are won by the team putting the ball in, the opposition doesn't even attempt to hook anymore.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 31 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

And the fact a penalty is now called. The argument is about correcting crooked put ins, are you saying that penalties being called on that don't happen...when I've just shown you they do...because it's breaking a law...just like diving.
Rugby, far, far more than football, looks to influence a game by breaking rules. Infringements happen constantly, players hoping the ref won't notice. None of this is any different to diving and it's far, far more premeditated. All of these things though are utterly different to ball tampering.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 31 Mar 2018, 5:36 pm

Here's an example of the logic of govt benefit funding. My brother, who has a mental handicap, has worked for 22 years for a company, the company paid 50% of his minimum wage salary, the govt funded the other half. He performed a lot of tasks (fork lift driver etc) and was never on full benefit.
Last week he gets told the funding has been moved elsewhere and he's out of a job. Sad for him, he's gutted, it also means he'll move onto benefits which will actually pay him as much (money isn't the massive issue for him) so in escence by taking away the funding the state now ends up spending twice as much on him for no return.
Genius.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 31 Mar 2018, 8:48 pm

On the subject of rugby, great winning try from Conway.
Munster with that never say die attitude, although thought they were going out.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:19 pm

beninho wrote:Mane just got booked for a dive, he was touched but he did dive. I'm fibe with the yellow card.  But looking on twitter, some people including journalists think it was a pen. Funny old game.
It should’ve been a pen AND a yellow card for Mane for exaggerating. Never seen that happen tho.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Apr 2018, 7:22 pm

The Ozil pen was a terribke decision by the ref. Not sure if it was a dive but the decision was wrong. No wonder we have none at the world cup!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 01 Apr 2018, 8:11 pm

Interesting Dele Alli stat, 36 goals in first 100 games, Hazard 32 goals. And Hazard started his PL career as a big name, Alli as a lower league teenager. More assists for Alli as well. Pretty impressive.
Not quite the same heights as last year but still more than solid, if any other 21 year old had played the way he has they'd be getting lauded.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

Dele is a very good player,not a great season but still a very good player. Can't believe the talk is whether he starts for England over lingard!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 01 Apr 2018, 8:30 pm

I like Sane a lot, and he has looked great this season. But if you actually look at the end product of goals and assists there isn't much difference between him and Alli. This with for some people Sane ripping up trees and Alli having a shocker.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 02 Apr 2018, 1:30 pm

Pardew gone. Didn't last long.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Apr 2018, 2:26 pm

Hate to see a Whyteleafe FC alumnus go down the drain, but doubt Pards will be back, shockingly bad recent record - not that he should need to work again anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 02 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm

He fits the bill as next England manager.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Apr 2018, 2:49 pm

pedro wrote:He fits the bill as next England manager.

That would have been a good recommendation yesterday . . . . . . . thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Apr 2018, 5:34 pm

Diggers, what's this I hear about a proposal in Sussex to stop children discussing with fellow pupils what they did at the weekend, incase the disadvantaged feel marginalised.

Surely this can't be true?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Apr 2018, 5:46 pm

Sounds utterly nuts to me Super, not something I've heard about. No idea how they would go about policing it. We sometimes have show and tell where the kids say when they are doing/have done something interesting. Maybe some schools are stopping that? Idiotic if that's the case.
To be honest most of the intake for my school is reasonably well off, very few disadvantaged kids (which then makes us badly funded).

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm

Does sound ridiculous Diggers, but in this modern age of people finding anything offensive, I thought there was a possibility it might be true.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 02 Apr 2018, 6:14 pm

Sounds probable super. Petit bourgeoisy things like spending time with family doesn’t go down well with the moralist guardianista elite.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Apr 2018, 7:14 pm

Pedro, outside of Brighton, I doubt the Guardian sells too many copies in Sussex. More Daily Mail territory.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Apr 2018, 7:26 pm

Diggers wrote:Pedro, outside of Brighton,  I doubt the Guardian sells too many copies in Sussex. More Daily Mail territory.

It doesn't sell many copies anywhere Diggers. Newspapers are pretty dead in general.

Heard quite a funny potential headline about their doyenne Corbyn today. "For the many, not the jews".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Apr 2018, 7:51 pm

Far from dead, certainly evolving, still a lot of print sold 5 million or so daily?) and obviously online presence. Free papers get by on marketing, the Standard gets its message to nearly a million people through print and 500k online. It's doing well, considering it's being run by a complete dickwad.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 03 Apr 2018, 9:22 pm

He's a villain to many, but what a player Ronaldo is. Early season rumours of his demise were clearly premature.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 03 Apr 2018, 10:41 pm

I’d like to see Shane Lowry try that overhead kick.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 03 Apr 2018, 10:56 pm

See you at Fratton Park next year Diggers, unless there's a miracle by Spithead or beside the Wear. Gary Monk seems to be doing a Redknapp.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:43 pm

Very sorry to see that Ray Wilkins has died.
Saw much of his early Chelsea career from the SB terraces (no, not the shed) . . . . . . quite the prodigy in those days. Missed his later career.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 04 Apr 2018, 3:00 pm

Somewhat maligned for playing a holding roll before it was fashionable. Showed his class at the beginning and end of his playing career. Saw him at the Belfry a couple of years ago, he obviously liked a beer or 10!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 04 Apr 2018, 5:46 pm

Very sad indeed. I remember him fondly for his days at QPR in the early / mid 90's when he brought composure and experience to a very decent team. His nickname the crab was very apt but he just kept things ticking over and rarely gave the ball away... the closest modern day equivalent I can think of is Xabi Alonso.

Less fondly remembered for his disasterous spell as QPR manager where he lost key players (Ferdinand and Sinclair) but spent the sales proceeds extremely poorly.

But even more fondly remembered for his commentary role in the 90's you've been tango'd TV ads. Smashing.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm

Liverpool the Masters so far . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 05 Apr 2018, 8:03 am

What a result from Liverpool, though you still have to give city a chance.

Remember seeing Ray Wilkins make one appearance for Wycombe when he was nearly 40. My dad told ne a story a few werks back about a guy called wilkins who used to go to his work and talk about his kids who played football.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:06 am

Not over but hard to see Liverpool not scoring another. Not sure I can see them beating BM or Barca over 2 legs, still be tough but Real might be their best draw if they go through. In a one off game they have to have chance against anyone.
Good to see the Ox is having an influence in big games, increasingly likely that him and Henderson will be in England's starting midfield.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:49 am

Fantastic 1st half for Liverpool and important to keep a clean sheet. City has been seen scoring a lot of goals at home before, but as Diggers says, hard to see Liverpool not scoring another, especially if Salah is fit.
Ox has really impressed in the last couple of months and Firmino has started being less selfish. And surprinsingly long ago Karius made his last blunder.

Agree that Real may be the best chance for Liverpool, although I'm a bit unsure about Bayern this season, they seem to go a bit under the radar.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 05 Apr 2018, 1:11 pm

Incredible result and performance from Liverpool. Shocked that City didn't score at least once in the second half... 3-1 would have kept the tie in the balance, but the clean sheet should be enough for Liverpool to sneak through.

City badly missed Aguero, they desperately need him back for the 2nd leg. If they get an early goal it could be a fascinating match with Liverpool so dangerous on the break.

The 4 semi finalists look pretty clear at this stage.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 05 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Jesus for Sterling was a stranger call for me, I think Sterling would have tried to prove something to the Kop, though to be fair he hasn't been that great going back there.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 05 Apr 2018, 5:17 pm

Diggers wrote:Jesus for Sterling was a stranger call for me, I think Sterling would have tried to prove something to the Kop, though to be fair he hasn't been that great going back there.
Strange, that one; you'd have thought if anyone was capable of a Miracle, it was Jesus...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 05 Apr 2018, 6:08 pm

oh yeah
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:Jesus for Sterling was a stranger call for me, I think Sterling would have tried to prove something to the Kop, though to be fair he hasn't been that great going back there.
Strange, that one; you'd have thought if anyone was capable of a Miracle, it was Jesus...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:00 am

Time to kill off the Commonwealth Games. Just rubbish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:10 am

super_realist wrote:Time to kill off the Commonwealth Games. Just rubbish.

Why?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:17 am

Too many stupid sports in it, poor competition. It's just so second rate. It's like getting excited about the Johnstones Paint trophy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:30 am

Not for everyone but I love it. Plenty of world class athletes, swimmers and cyclists. Personally, I love seeing a mix of sports.
Seems to me if you can get excited about a guy who has never beaten a full strength stroke play field win the Houston Open,then you can find plenty of quality sport at the Commonwealths.
Also great event to go and watch live, I was in Glasgow and will be taking the kids to Birmingham in 4 years time.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next