The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+22
I'm never wrong
navyblueshorts
westisbest
raycastleunited
pedro
NedB-H
McLaren
wiretapper
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
Davie
dynamark
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
Mad for Chelsea
Plunky
Hibbz
puligny
SmithersJones
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
26 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stoke have spent 10 years in the premier league, they are bottom 3 and dumped out the cup by coventry. The perspy is that they are an established prem team, hughes has them shipping goals, not scoring and being certainties for relegation. They have spent big money on wimmer who has struggled, imbula who is out on loan and berahino who cant score, bojan is well paid and on the bench for alaves. Stoke fans have perspective, hughes had no clues. Surprised he stayed this long.

My family are potters!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:16 pm

There's only one solution Pedro to all these shootings.......... more guns. Rolling Eyes

The right to bear arms, but without the maturity to do so.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:21 pm

There’s always an excuse to why these shootings happen. And it has never anything to do with guns.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

You can't discuss this with morons who won't listen and who're bribed by the NRA. This shooting aside, there have apparently been 291 school shootings since 2013, or about 1 per week.
This is nearly the norm in America.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:58 pm

There's over 350 mass shooting per year too Navy, apparently the gun laws are fine though.

I'm not even against them having guns, just that they have a more stringent set up to ensure that fewer people who aren't suitable to own them can get their hands on them.
They also have a ludicrous range of guns which simply aren't needed, although of course they hide behind the "tyrannical government" excuse which of course they'd really stand a chance against.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:18 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:You can't discuss this with morons who won't listen and who're bribed by the NRA. This shooting aside, there have apparently been 291 school shootings since 2013, or about 1 per week.
Trump blamed ‘mental disease’ for the latest shooting. But he didn’t specify who he was referring to.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm

Didn't trump roll back on gun checks for people with mental health issues. What fricking reason is there to have a gun at all!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm

I could imagine a gun like a Rifle or a Shotgun would be perfect if you lived on a ranch in Texas for instance, I can't think of a reason if you don't to own a handgun or an assault rifle.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm

Deer hunting with an AR15 is a human right!! And speaking of human rights: I heard of a place in Cambodia where you, for 100 dollars, can shoot a cow with a bazooka. Why wouldn’t you?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

beninho wrote:Didn't trump roll back on gun checks for people with mental health issues. What fricking reason is there to have a gun at all!

YES!!!

and:

NONE!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:43 am

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:You can't discuss this with morons who won't listen and who're bribed by the NRA. This shooting aside, there have apparently been 291 school shootings since 2013, or about 1 per week.
Trump blamed ‘mental disease’ for the latest shooting. But he didn’t specify who he was referring to.
Hmm. Himself and the NRA perhaps?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:46 am

pedro wrote:Deer hunting with an AR15 is a human right!! And speaking of human rights: I heard of a place in Cambodia where you, for 100 dollars, can shoot a cow with a bazooka. Why wouldn’t you?
I can think of a myriad reasons not to do something so stupid. Plenty of people clearly would though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/02/16/jimmy-kimmel-pleads-trump-do-something-gun-control-moving-monologue/344346002/

Jimmy Kimmel's monologue is pretty good, but scroll down to the end of the article to see why no meaningful action will be taken any time soon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 16 Feb 2018, 3:01 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Around $54m from the NRA to them there Republicans?

Cor.

Now - does anyone have any context - who else gives what else to whom in such huge swathes? (ie is the NRA a huge donor or are they on a par (golfy!) with others or maybe even small fry.)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Feb 2018, 3:55 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Around $54m from the NRA to them there Republicans?

Cor.

Now - does anyone have any context - who else gives what else to whom in such huge swathes? (ie is the NRA a huge donor or are they on a par (golfy!) with others or maybe even small fry.)

I don't, but there's so much money sloshing around, especially from "Big Pharma" and "Big Farmer" (ADM, Cargill, etc), petrochemical + oil + gas, real-estate, publishing, etc, etc.
And loads of this goes to Democrats as well. Who also get funded in part from unions up and down the country.

Remember also that the $54M is just for those few Rep Senators, plenty more from both sides of the aisle, plus 435 Congressmen.

The swamp is overflowing, and that's before foreign interests put their rubles, rupees, riyals, shekels and Bitcoins in. Euros too?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:54 am

It isn't so much the NRA, as the gun makers channelling money through the NRA.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 19 Feb 2018, 12:05 am

super_realist wrote:It isn't so much the NRA, as the gun makers channelling money through the NRA.
And the voters apparently.
Strangely enough there seems to be a clear majority of the population in favour of stricter gun control, but it’s obviously not reflected in congress.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 19 Feb 2018, 12:41 pm

I do find the fixation with the 2nd amendment fascinating. “You can’t change the 2nd amendment” eh yes you can, it’s an amendment, it’s very name suggests somethings been changed already.

With regards the old “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” hogwash and the “we have a mental health issue” (phew no Poopie Sherlock)...ok if that’s true for guns it’s presumably true for nukes as well?? Well there’s your Korean crisis solved right there...send wee Kim a therapist and save yourselves a fortune on nuke proliferation.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Feb 2018, 5:48 pm

It's cognitive dissonance JAS, they know they've got a gun problem, they know they're not mature enough to own guns, they know they've got worse crime than any other western nation, but guns apparently, have nothing to do with it.

As the Americans themselves would say in their usual grammatically incorrect way "go figure".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

Irish Independent Rory and Padraig

I found it interesting, joint interview with the Island of Ireland's 2 most successful golfers.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

Fantastic Roller, Thanks.

A couple of things I had no idea of:
Des Smyth's role with the Irish lads, and the Eamonn Dunphy (lovely player to watch when I used to go down The Den, quite a good Millwall team in those days with plenty of characters) story.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Irish Independent Rory and Padraig

I found it interesting, joint interview with the Island of Ireland's 2 most successful golfers.

Is it just me or was Paddy pushing his luck (of the irish) with some of his comments towards Rory?  For example suggesting Rory is often under cooked for tournament play, saying 4 majors is underachieving for Rory, banging on about how useful Rory's "low points" are, how Rory's belief dips.  Paddy just always seems to come off as a bit of an annoying twerp.

I wonder if the interviewers initial questions about why Rory and Paddy don't see each other more often becomes rhetorical by the end of the piece?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

I just think they were showing how different they are as people and how they approach things differently. So, yes the article highlights the differences in such a manner that it seems obvious why they don't hang around.

These differences are shown in Padraig's comments, which I think (and Rory's response indicates he thought) are fair comment. 4 majors for Rory is a poor (relatively) for how good he was at a time when multiple serious rivals weren't around (effectively post Woods prime, pre Spieth, pre "new" DJ etc).

(NB he can still be as good now, I'm not suggesting he's done!)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

I thought it just showed two top pros, of different generations, showing huge respect for one another and the sport that's giving them so much.
Padraig's philosophy has moved on a bit since the video'ed lecture to students that (I think) Hendo linked a few years ago. Very cool.
Love a little bit of insight that you don't get from too many, in whatever sport.

The other big takeaway (poor choice of words, both of them) is that Shane is not learning too much as a protege of the great mentor Padraig . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Feb 2018, 5:49 pm

Not that long ago the spud munchers were waxing lyrical about how many good players they had and how they were the centre of the golfing universe, but with Penguin Paddy and Fat Accountant over the hill, and Slim Shane doing his best to destroy his career whilst McIlroy seems to be resting on his laurels and just counting his millions it isn't looking too rosy (or emerald) for them. England seemed to have picked up their mantle and are marching on. Funny how quick things change.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:13 am

Of course! The solution to ending school shootings is to arm teachers. Stupid me!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

pedro wrote:Of course! The solution to ending school shootings is to arm teachers. Stupid me!

Teachers get paid so well that you can just add an armed bodyguard to their job description eh? Fat load of use that a handgun would be against an assault rifle.
What sort of society do they have that they'd want a situation where teachers have to be armed?

There's a stereotype that Americans are stupid, they aren't doing much to dispel that particular stereotype are they? Probably the most backward country in the western hemisphere.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Probably the most backward country in the western hemisphere.
At least they cherish their Irish heritage.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:00 pm

Och they’re just nostalgic for the ol gun totin Wild West Days of Billy the Kid and Wyatt Earp. Our lot are much the same wanting to take us back to the 1800s as well...to days when there was no universal healthcare provision, no organised labour (so serfs had to work 18 hours days for a pittance). Ain’t modern Neoliberal politics wonderful??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Feb 2018, 6:32 pm

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:Probably the most backward country in the western hemisphere.
At least they cherish their Irish heritage.

Speaking of backward countries Leprechaun

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 22 Feb 2018, 6:44 pm

super_realist wrote:...What sort of society do they have that they'd want a situation where teachers have to be armed?...
You'd think this would be a key question they'd ask themselves wouldn't you? It's seriously odd that this doesn't seem to be registering. I don't think I've even heard of such a think in Afghanistan.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

Precisely Navy,
It's the teachers job to teach, not defend them from potential threats. It's the governments responsibility to ensure that guns are only held by those who can demonstrate they are a fit and proper person to own them.

How they cannot see this is just tantamount to how stupid they are as a nation.

I can imagine the same sort of arguments coming from people when they tried to stop them owning slaves, and it still hasn't gotten any better in terms of logic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:11 pm

The rsole from the NRA is mouthing off, to rapturous applause no doubt, to a "conservative conference" that it's the schools' fault for having inadequate security.
Bassackwards there - and 95% of Americans would refuse to pay higher taxes to support that anyway.

All pretty sickening - and my 20-something daughter teaches 14-y-o's in gun country.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:00 pm

If I was given a gun at school there would be some days when it might be just a little too tempting...
I jest, obviously. Amongst the most ridiculous suggestions I have ever heard, so fairly standard for Trumpton.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

It's a fair point Diggers. Who's to say a teacher doesn't go mad and gun down their entire class. The way kids are these days. I wouldn't blame some of them.

Then I suppose the NRA will advise we arm the kids too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:00 am

I guess there is a direct correlation btw NRA supporters and those who label themselves as “good christians”. One should think it’s a paradox these religious nutters can’t see they’ve got blood on their hands. Or maybe it just explains it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

No paradox Pedro, the religious are hypocrites on tons of things, why would guns be any different?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:32 am

Here’s one for the right wing bible thumpers...From the 10 commandments...”THOU SHALT NOT KILL” You can just imagine them inserting an ‘amendment’ saying ...”unless somebody else looks like they’re gonna shoot first - then it’s ok”

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

The thing about arming teachers is that it wouldn't even impact the greatest cause of gun deaths in the USA, which is suicide.  In 2014 21386 of 33594 (64%) gun deaths were from suicide while 11008 were from homicide.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

The left (or other anti gun positions) need to just admit that they want to take peoples guns away from them by altering or removing the 2nd amendment.  

I think you have to view mass gun ownership like a public health issue such as whether or not to allow the prescription of a particular drug.  Issues considered in this decision would include number needed to treat, number needed to harm and costs of side effects.

For guns the number needed to harm is very low and the number needed to treat (the benefits of gun ownership to society) is meaningless because it is not clear how someone owning a gun provides any benefits.  The self defense argument has been debunked by data many times and it is pretty clear the warm fuzzy feeling of recreating the wild west vibe shouldn't offset the horrible side effects of gun ownership (33000 deaths per year).

And we now know there was an armed officer on the school campus and it didn't come close to stopping the attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:13 pm

The 2nd Amendment doesn't mean the US can't prevent people from owning assault weapons etc. That position has been upheld by numerous Courts in the US, including the Supreme Court, I think. 'The right to bear arms' has been determined to mean that it does not cover any weapon whatsoever. They could legislate if any of them had the remotest sense of civic responsibility or just plain having some balls.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:40 pm

Trump blaming the policeman who stood by, when it was his administration that repealed an Obama act which was designed to hinder mentally ill people getting guns.

Well done Trump.

Mac, please stop trying to be American with your spelling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 24 Feb 2018, 12:26 am

I’m sure armed teachers will do a better job protecting schools than armed officers... Doh picard

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Feb 2018, 8:13 am

I'm not sure why no one seems to have picked up on this. If a well trained, armed officer freezes, what's a petrified amateur gun owning paid a pittance teacher going to do in the same situation?

Trump is clearly a special.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 24 Feb 2018, 9:30 am

We need to remember if anything happens to trump,pence steps up. He looks worse!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Feb 2018, 9:55 am

Pence won't even be alone with a woman who isn't his wife. What sort of moron is he?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Feb 2018, 1:15 pm

Super, its a bit hypocritical of you to knock Pence for that. Whats your reason for not being alone with a woman?

PS what Americanism did I use?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Feb 2018, 5:00 pm

Mac, I'm alone with women all the time. The amount of time you spend worrying about my relationships is typical Freudian behaviour from someone who doesn't have the relationship that they claim to have. I have to wonder what any woman would see in a deadbeat loser such as yourself.

You spelled defence using an "s".

Just watching the rugby, doesn't scumbag thug Dylan Hartley look like Sloth off The Goonies?, a proper ugly barstard.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:34 am

“To stop a bad guy with a gun, it takes a good guy with a gun.”

picard

Happy to see corporate America has started to cut ties with the NRA.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:46 am

BBC reporting that Warren Buffett's company benefits by approx $29B from Drumpf's tax cut. Imagine POTUS and his family grab a few $B also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:BBC reporting that Warren Buffett's company benefits by approx $29B from Drumpf's tax cut. Imagine POTUS and his family grab a few $B also.

Assuming he is actually a billionaire.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

McLaren wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:BBC reporting that Warren Buffett's company benefits by approx $29B from Drumpf's tax cut. Imagine POTUS and his family grab a few $B also.

Assuming he is actually a billionaire.

Mac,
He probably is a long long way away from that, but imagine the Kushners are close, not to mention other branches of the family.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next